PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats!
....now you have an even harder decision to make......pcom v. vcom v. umdnj.....good luck with that!

Those are the 3 schools I had to choose from!

I'm very happy at PCOM :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ouch...next time I'll go back through years of posts before commenting. I had my secondary complete for PCOM 7/28, so yeah 6 months does seem pretty late. Thanks for the feedback though.

That wasn't meant to be an "ouch"......just to point out that you are not interviewing in futility! Still plenty of acceptances to go out, I would think. :)

Congrats! Which dual program are you looking into? I've thought about doing a DO/MPH, but I read that some residency programs incorporate an MPH so perhaps I'll just wait and do that.
I was thinking of the DO/MBA, but I don't know if it is a necessity if I want to have a private practice. Also, does anyone know/have the book list for the 2014 class?

Sorry if this has already been asked: for current students, do you use mainly the lecture notes/power point for studying, or do you need to have textbooks for every class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone interview on Jan 13? I got a letter from PCOM at my parents house but during the interview i was told that we wouldn't hear for 3-4 weeks. it's only been a week and half and i already have a letter. has this happened to anyone else? i'm really afraid its bad news if it got here a 2 weeks before the scheduled date. :eek:

Did anyone interview on Jan 13? I got a letter from PCOM at my parents house but during the interview i was told that we wouldn't hear for 3-4 weeks. it's only been a week and half and i already have a letter. has this happened to anyone else? i'm really afraid its bad news if it got here a 2 weeks before the scheduled date. :eek:

Interviewed on Wednesday, 12/9 and they said we'd hear something by January 7th. Got the acceptance the following Monday. :thumbup:

They're under-promising and over-delivering.

so, i received the binder of info they sent out last week and i tried to log into nucleus but each time i try i get an error message-- is anyone else experiencing this?

thanks

i just checked my e-mail, and a few hours ago they sent me the following message-- so check your e-mail if you have trouble logging in!

Dear Student,

Oops, we discovered that there was a technical glitch in the assigning of your 6-digit numeric password that appeared on the letter that accompanied your New Student Binder. Instead of 6 digits appearing on your letter only 5 digits appeared. You will be receiving a letter in the mail with the correct password. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a great weekend.

PCOM MIS/Telecommunications

i just checked my e-mail, and a few hours ago they sent me the following message-- so check your e-mail if you have trouble logging in!

Dear Student,

Oops, we discovered that there was a technical glitch in the assigning of your 6-digit numeric password that appeared on the letter that accompanied your New Student Binder. Instead of 6 digits appearing on your letter only 5 digits appeared. You will be receiving a letter in the mail with the correct password. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a great weekend.

PCOM MIS/Telecommunications

I got that email too.

PCOM IT department is probably the worse IT department I know. I wish PCOM would put more money into them, but good thing I only use them for printing.

I was thinking of the DO/MBA, but I don't know if it is a necessity if I want to have a private practice. Also, does anyone know/have the book list for the 2014 class?

Sorry if this has already been asked: for current students, do you use mainly the lecture notes/power point for studying, or do you need to have textbooks for every class?

For CMBM, they give you notes and handouts, but you have to print them. I didn't buy a single book this semester yet.

For Gross Anatomy, the main book I used was Netter's Atlas and the BRS review series.

it has been 4 weeks since i got the complete email... still waiting!

Yeah my app was complete 12/16,so going on a little over 5 weeks, and still no word,so waiting here too:( Good Luck. Hope we hear something back soon:0)

PCOM IT department is probably the worse IT department I know. I wish PCOM would put more money into them, but good thing I only use them for printing.

Hey, my husband does IT and he is looking for a job near PCOM for next year........... lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!

First time poster, but I've always just browsed these forums and they've always given me sound advice.

I decided to apply a wee-bit late to PCOM's Philly and Georgia Campuses, aka I just applied right now :p

My cGPA is a 3.53 with a Science of 3.34
MCAT of 25S (9 PS, 9V, 7BS)

Just wanna know my chances according to all of you. I am part of a 7 year BS/DO program at NYIT, and although I just need to get a 26 to be shooed into NYCOM (I am taking the MCAT this Friday again for that purpose) I still just want to know if any DO school would even look twice at me.

Thanks! :D

Hey Everyone!

First time poster, but I've always just browsed these forums and they've always given me sound advice.

I decided to apply a wee-bit late to PCOM's Philly and Georgia Campuses, aka I just applied right now :p

Just wanna know my chances according to all of you. I am part of a 7 year BS/DO program at NYIT, and although I just need to get a 26 to be shooed into NYCOM (I am taking the MCAT this Friday again for that purpose) I still just want to know if any DO school would even look twice at me.

I have about 3.5 sci/cum gpa and 34R mcat. I haven't been given an invite (although I've been given other DO acceptances and an upcoming MD interview - 3.3 cum gpa under AAMCAS for those who are curious). Although I am not from the northeast and PCOM prefers students from Pennsylvania if not the surrounding areas, applying to any school is somewhat of a crapshoot and I do think applying this late in the game and not having above average stats will not guarantee anyone for an interview. If you're really interested in attending though, you could write a letter of interest/intent. I think you would've been better off applying super early in the process though.... Why did you decide to apply so late??

Hey Everyone!

At this time, very unlikely. It is very late. I'm thinking maybe half the spots are taken at this time. But you haven't even received your secondary yet. PCOM is slow at this process due to the amount of apps they received.

Goodluck though.

hi all-
just got back from the interview today and i absolutely LOVE PCOM (even despite the monsoon we were in)! i was thoroughly impressed with everyone we encountered throughout the day. the facilities are beautiful and they seem to really care about the students. the interview was very laid back and conversational. i enjoyed speaking with my interviewers and they seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me better. i'd say on a 1-10 scale, stress level once in the interview was a 2 or 3 (and that was mostly on my part, not by anything the interviewers did). All in all a great experience! the asst dean of admissions mentioned that we should know in approx 3 weeks... so fingers crossed until then!

hi all-
just got back from the interview today and i absolutely LOVE PCOM (even despite the monsoon we were in)! i was thoroughly impressed with everyone we encountered throughout the day. the facilities are beautiful and they seem to really care about the students. the interview was very laid back and conversational. i enjoyed speaking with my interviewers and they seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me better. i'd say on a 1-10 scale, stress level once in the interview was a 2 or 3 (and that was mostly on my part, not by anything the interviewers did). All in all a great experience! the asst dean of admissions mentioned that we should know in approx 3 weeks... so fingers crossed until then!

I'm glad you liked it! and good luck:thumbup: I saw you guys touring the library:D

Haha I saw them touring the library the other day too.

I'm actually in PCOM's biomed program, so it's stressful watching people get interviewed and knowing that I can't do that until March/April.

Hey guys

What are my chances of getting into PCOM?

MCAT: 21P (biology 8, physics 6, English 7)
GPA: 3.3 I'm in my last semester. Biochemestry major and a minor in math
EC: volunteered at HUP for 2 summers and worked as an EMT for 2 years at JEffstat

I applied in December and they just recieved my MCAT scores on January 13, 2010. I was also wondering if PCOM sends a email stating that they are rejecting you.

Thanks!

for anyone who has been accepted and received the binder,

have any of you had any issues logging into nucleus and your e-mail? i logged into nucleus just fine with the temp. password, however that password didn't work when i tried to get into e-mail. i figured maybe i just had to change my temp. password, and when i went to follow the directions to change it (i.e. go to "my account" and change it) i didn't even have a "my account" to click on...ahh.....i tried in 2 browsers with no luck....anyone else have a similar issue?

thanks!

for anyone who has been accepted and received the binder,

have any of you had any issues logging into nucleus and your e-mail? i logged into nucleus just fine with the temp. password, however that password didn't work when i tried to get into e-mail. i figured maybe i just had to change my temp. password, and when i went to follow the directions to change it (i.e. go to "my account" and change it) i didn't even have a "my account" to click on...ahh.....i tried in 2 browsers with no luck....anyone else have a similar issue?

thanks!

i havent had issues logging in since they sent me the 6 digit password but i did go to change it and did not have a "my account" link to click either. the password worked for both my email and nucleus. maybe it is case sensitive?

I'm not sure if I'm reading the 2009-2010 Catalog correctly. Does anyone know if anatomy is only taught in SPOM, the first term of first year?

Yes, that's correct. I really like the structure of the curriculum. I'm soooooooooooo glad we're done with anatomy :) I enjoyed it while we were doing it, but enough is enough!

I also have the same problems..i can log into nuclues and not my email and there is no my account button. I called the help desk and they said they are having problems with that right now but should be fixed soon. They also said they might be sending an email with different passwords or something. Either way its not you, it's a problem with thier system.

Same here...I've been complete for about 5 weeks and haven't heard anything. I'm OOS, but the rest of my family lives 5 miles from the PCOM. I even sent in an a letter of intent.

I've been complete for two months and no word from PCOM. stats above average. IS. why is the wait time sooo looong? is anyone in a similar situation? :(

I've also been waiting for a similar amount of time for a few schools. GPA is below avg, MCAT strongly above avg.

I also have the same problems..i can log into nuclues and not my email and there is no my account button. I called the help desk and they said they are having problems with that right now but should be fixed soon. They also said they might be sending an email with different passwords or something. Either way its not you, it's a problem with thier system.

i havent had issues logging in since they sent me the 6 digit password but i did go to change it and did not have a "my account" link to click either. the password worked for both my email and nucleus. maybe it is case sensitive?

thanks for your replies! i'm glad i'm not the only one who currently doesn't have a "my account" to change our passwords....i still can't get into the student e-mail but i clicked on the staff button accidentally and could get it through there....weird....for now i'm going to leave it as is and not try to mess with it

.....there is a nice "Class of 2014" post under the medical student forums. Just saying.......cause people have been posting over there about the binders and website, etc. Call Me X.......have you decided? Or are you just keeping your options open? I know you were debating for awhile......

.....there is a nice "Class of 2014" post under the medical student forums. Just saying.......cause people have been posting over there about the binders and website, etc. Call Me X.......have you decided? Or are you just keeping your options open? I know you were debating for awhile......

....still as indecisive as ever :confused:
....basically my mind changes with the weather, the color shirt i'm wearing....you get the idea haha

still waiting...

application complete email 12/18
DO letter sent 1/15
Update transcript sent 1/25

what month do they stop interviewing?

still waiting...

DO letter sent 1/15

My complete date is very similar to yours and I haven't heard anything. We're probably on hold. I got an email from MSUCOM today that said they interview through March. Hang in there.

I have almost the same dates for all my application material. So I'm on the same boat as both of you . Hope they give us an email soon! Does PCOM send emails if they reject us?

quick question about pcom's online status check..on the note beside MCAT scores, only one of my test dates is listed. did that happen to anyone else?

+1

X, my S.O. and I will be heading to both schools again soon if you want to meet up. If you get into the other one, will that decide it for you?

the other (maybe if i keep the words out of my mouth i might get in hah) was my favorite but i still won't be 100% sure bc that would mean leaving my s.o. behind on the east coast....so yea i would be in yet another pickle.....when are you going to visit....i'll send you a message later today when i leave work!

Hey guys

What are my chances of getting into PCOM?

MCAT: 21P (biology 8, physics 6, English 7)
GPA: 3.3 I'm in my last semester. Biochemestry major and a minor in math
EC: volunteered at HUP for 2 summers and worked as an EMT for 2 years at JEffstat

I applied in December and they just recieved my MCAT scores on January 13, 2010. I was also wondering if PCOM sends a email stating that they are rejecting you.

Thanks!

I would probably say that your chances are pretty slim this year. There are two things in your app that I would worry about. First, you need to get that MCAT up. Second, applying early helps A LOT. Hopefully you will get in, but if you do not, don't give up. Retake the MCAT and apply super early next year. Getting accepted to PCOM should be 100% possible if you keep at it.

Hey guys/gals!

Congrats on the acceptance!!

I am a rising junior, and I wanted to apply to PCOM this summer. My GPA isn't the best, but it is around 3.3 and haven't taken the MCAT. I plan on taking the MCAT in mid July and won't get results back till mid August. Is completing your application in August really bad? Will I be in good position to still get accepted.

Hey guys,

Im definitely applying to PCOM this summer. So one big thing im taking away from this forum is to apply early! I will try to have it all done my July, i am assuming its rolling admissions.

Any thoughts what my chances are with 3.0 and 30R MCAT? My GPA has been 3.5 fourth year, and 4.0 Fifth year (i took an extra year cuz switched programs). I have some ridiculous amount of extracurricular so im not worried about that.

Thanks for your time! The more I read about PCOM the more excited I am to apply (assuming i stand some chance)

Mr Patel.....completing your app in August should be fine, but keep in mind that AACOMAS will take a couple of months to process your app and that has to happen before the schools see your primaries to send you secondaries.

drctother......I would say you def. have a good shot, especially if you are early. It wouldn't hurt to get your gpa up a bit, but the upward trend helps. Do you have any retakes? AACOMAS uses retake grades to replace earlier grades in gpa, so it may come up a bit if you have retakes. As I'm sure you already know, your GPA is a bit low and your MCAT is above their accepted average. I think you should have a shot. APply early and make sure your ECs are strong.

I will be applying to PCOM next cycle - I haven't really been following this thread, but based on what you guys that have talked to each other, do you think the average MCAT scores for PCOM have increased this year, or have they stayed the same?

Thanks

Heidiho,

My university doesnt allow you to retake a course unless you fail. It sucks, I know. I was so shocked when i first heard US schools allow you to retake courses! haha everyone here would redo courses if that was possible (esp OChem). Its weird because at the end of the day University is a business...so thats extra money for them. That is awesome that take re-take grades! Wow!

Thanks for the support and advice

Im trying to get my head around that too....I keep reading MCAT around 26-27 and gpa 3.3-3.5? Someone can correct me cuz I might be thinking MCU-COM or a different school

Im trying to get my head around that too....I keep reading MCAT around 26-27 and gpa 3.3-3.5? Someone can correct me cuz I might be thinking MCU-COM or a different school

There is no way that PCOM's avg GPA is around a 3.3. The higher end of the spectrum would be closer I would say. My guess would be 3.5 to 3.6, just a guess tho. MCAT I agree with you though, 27 is probably pretty close.

If you go to the PCOM website it has information about the averages for GPA and MCAT.

I'm also waiting. My file was complete around Dec 30th. I've heard that the waiting game is long..Was wondering if they send out rejection emails.

My stats are 25Q (9BS, 10PS, 6VB) with a GPA of 3.80 (sGPA 3.80) and I'm Canadian (International applicant)

Thanks!

Natasha,

What school did you go/ do you go to now? Just wondering if all our CDN schools are recognized. I go to UBC personally and hope they know it. Also did you apply to GA-PCOM?

for those of you who have gotten recent interview invites (past 2 weeks are so) when were you complete?

Natasha,

What school did you go/ do you go to now? Just wondering if all our CDN schools are recognized. I go to UBC personally and hope they know it. Also did you apply to GA-PCOM?

Hi drctother. I go to UofT now and am in my last year of undergrad. Yes, CDN schools are recognized. Just go to the FAQ page and it says that they accept international students - I had also called them. I applied to GA-PCOM, but decided not to fill out the supplementary app.

still waiting...

DO letter sent 1/15

I got you beat.

App complete email in September. Emailed in maybe late October early November asking for an update. Told to be patient. Received my login and pin in January. Still no word and not expecting to hear anything either. I've already decided on another school but I refuse to withdraw my app on principle, I sent my secondary fee and I want an official decision :mad:.

I got you beat.

App complete email in September. Emailed in maybe late October early November asking for an update. Told to be patient. Received my login and pin in January. Still no word and not expecting to hear anything either. I've already decided on another school but I refuse to withdraw my app on principle, I sent my secondary fee and I want an official decision :mad:.

x2