PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slamindesi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to start the thread for the 2009-2010 applicants for PCOM!

I am just curious to know if anyone received a secondary yet from this school?

Oh, and this is definitely my top choice among osteopathic schools!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to seven D.O. Schools and recieved Secondaries from six of them but not from PCOM Georgia Campus. So, I called the Admissions Office on July 2, 2009. I was told that the 2010 Secondary Applications are not yet available as the Admissions Office was working on the admission of Masters Degree students for this Fall and didn't have time to get them out yet. I was told that the 2010 Secondary Applications would be sent out in about three weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this year...seems like a great school...

my mdapplicants is in my profile, check it out and comment if you please...

good luck to all who are applying...

Hey, I was curious if anyone knew the average stats of PCOM?

They still claim 3.3-3.4 and a 24 but somehow I doubt that.

I do too. I know a lot of people who applied and got waitlisted or rejected. It has to be higher. I wish they would publish the data. I bet PCOM still got the most apps this past application cycle. Didn't they have that the previous year?

Maybe this thread should be specified to PCOM-Phila? Bacchus what do ya think?

They still claim 3.3-3.4 and a 24 but somehow I doubt that.

I know, that is why I ask. Those numbers seem too low for the people who actually get accepted.

Is this the same for PCOM in GA? The secondary will take about another 2 weeks?

The thing about PCOM's stats POSSIBLY being lower than some other DO schools like Western and DMU is ... well, who cares?? It's no secret they are one of the top medical schools in America and, despite what certain pre-allo applicants will tell you, DO schools are known for accepting the total student. The stats may be lower because candidates they accept maybe show other qualities ... maturity, experience, leadership, etc etc, who knows?? There really is more than MCAT + GPA = accept or reject. PCOM could be one of those cases.

With that said ... who knows (not me). Maybe the stats are outdated. However, I think it's safe to say that everyone who applied would love a chance to attend PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing about PCOM's stats POSSIBLY being lower than some other DO schools like Western and DMU is ... well, who cares?? It's no secret they are one of the top medical schools in America and, despite what certain pre-allo applicants will tell you, DO schools are known for accepting the total student. The stats may be lower because candidates they accept maybe show other qualities ... maturity, experience, leadership, etc etc, who knows?? There really is more than MCAT + GPA = accept or reject. PCOM could be one of those cases.

With that said ... who knows (not me). Maybe the stats are outdated. However, I think it's safe to say that everyone who applied would love a chance to attend PCOM.
Are you applying here?

And, if you look at the PCOM waitlisted thread, some stats were given at the open house, 26/3.5.

Both PCOM secondary email today. Very weird that they send out the email on a Saturday, who is working?

Anyway, the secondary is the same as last year, does anybody know how long a brief statement is? 1 page typed?

Both PCOM secondary email today. Very weird that they send out the email on a Saturday, who is working?

Anyway, the secondary is the same as last year, does anybody know how long a brief statement is? 1 page typed?

Mine is a little less than a page. Also, for the medical experience I am doing it in almost a resume format as I have such a large amount and I think it will have a better impact and be more coherent than if I tried to do it in some sort of essay form.

Been waiting on these for a while! Good luck to everyone!!!!

PCOM looks awesome, I was reading through their website, they have a lot to offer.

PCOM's application is ready for tomorrow's mail pick-up...

Are the PCOM and PCOM-GA just one application together? I noticed there is a checkbox on the app saying if you applied to PCOM-GA. Let me know, thanks

Do students primarily do core rotations at Philly Osteopathic Hospital? I'm excited about this school because it seems that it has a primary affiliated hospital, unlike most DO schools.

are you guys handwriting the secondary? it is not pdf fillable for me.

Are the PCOM and PCOM-GA just one application together? I noticed there is a checkbox on the app saying if you applied to PCOM-GA. Let me know, thanks

i thought they were separate but if you look at the mailing address for the secondary, it is the same place.

are you guys handwriting the secondary? it is not pdf fillable for me.

Same here. I filled out what was necessary VERY NEATLY in pen and just attached my essay.

For the health-care related activities, instead of a resume format, would it be fine to just write down the title of the activity and a small write-up about it?

I feel like i would be able to better describe my activities that way...

Also, just to verify, do health-related activities only include clinical-based activites (shadowing, volunteering, etc.) or can you also mention research?

I had a lab research job at school and I did an internship at a pharmaceutical company that was also lab research.

Also, just to verify, do health-related activities only include clinical-based activites (shadowing, volunteering, etc.) or can you also mention research?

I had a lab research job at school and I did an internship at a pharmaceutical company that was also lab research.

Depends what you did in the lab. Pharmaceutical isn't so much "health related" but I would definitely include it. It still has to do with the medical field and shows exposure to something beyond clinical experience. A different side of the medicla field, if you will.....

okk people..I m really confused in the format of essay......should I make it bullet points for health care experience or essay format?
Can I use the format as it appears in AACOMAS? Which would literally be copy/paste from AACOMAS?
how you guys are doing it? any inputs?

Thanks
meow:p

Can you guys tell me your stats for what your applying to PCOM with (GPA/MCAT)?

Its my top choice, but I am worried my MCAT 25P 8/9/8 wont be good enough :scared:.

Im still waiting on AACOMAS to verify my application :mad:!

Thanks droogdoc! Guess it really can't hurt if I include that and it does have some health-related aspect to it.

Can you guys tell me your stats for what your applying to PCOM with (GPA/MCAT)?

Its my top choice, but I am worried my MCAT 25P 8/9/8 wont be good enough :scared:.

Im still waiting on AACOMAS to verify my application :mad:!

Yo, Arsenal! You don't have a bad score for PCOM. Once you get that secondary back, send it in as soon as you can, and i'm sure u'll be fine! Plus, you already have the luxury of knowing what essay questions are on it now, from this thread. I heard PCOM is not as number-oriented as other schools. They prefer well-rounded applicants. I figure the earlier u get that in, better your shot is! Don't lose hope!!

PCOM is definitely my #1 choice and I was wondering if someone could provide me some insight as to my chances of getting in...

GPA:
Science: 3.6, Non-Science: 3.95, Overall: 3.7

MCAT:
1st: 24N (9 PS / 5 VR / 10 BS)
2nd: 25M (8 PS / 9 VR / 8 BS)
(Does anyone know if they take the composite/best combined? 28 sounds so much better than a 25 :) )

EC:
I'd say average...I'm involved with some health-related campus organizations, I've been a tutor and TA for two bio classes, and I have a decent amount of volunteering under my belt, but it seems like many ppl on here have some great credentials when it comes to ECs.

Shadowing:
I've shadowed a DO in pediatrics this summer and a I'm also hoping to get some time in with a DO in nephrology later this summer

...I just found out about my 2nd MCAT just hours ago and I'm kind of in a semi-panic mode since I was expecting much better (the only thing positive from the 2nd round was my VR going from a 5 to a 9 which I guess is enough to be thankful for), so I just wanted to hear someone else's opinion.

PCOM is definitely my #1 choice and I was wondering if someone could provide me some insight as to my chances of getting in...

GPA:
Science: 3.6, Non-Science: 3.95, Overall: 3.7

MCAT:
1st: 24N (9 PS / 5 VR / 10 BS)
2nd: 25M (8 PS / 9 VR / 8 BS)
(Does anyone know if they take the composite/best combined? 28 sounds so much better than a 25 :) )

EC:
I'd say average...I'm involved with some health-related campus organizations, I've been a tutor and TA for two bio classes, and I have a decent amount of volunteering under my belt, but it seems like many ppl on here have some great credentials when it comes to ECs.

Shadowing:
I've shadowed a DO in pediatrics this summer and a I'm also hoping to get some time in with a DO in nephrology later this summer

...I just found out about my 2nd MCAT just hours ago and I'm kind of in a semi-panic mode since I was expecting much better (the only thing positive from the 2nd round was my VR going from a 5 to a 9 which I guess is enough to be thankful for), so I just wanted to hear someone else's opinion.

Take my opinion for what it's worth, but I think everything looks solid. Great GPA, a reasonable MCAT, and active extracurriculars.

Your MCAT retake was well worth it just to get your verbal up...congrats...I would never want to go through that again...

Here's to getting in someplace...best of luck to you

So I had a quick question regarding PCOM and the how they look upon GPA vs. MCAT. I read in another thread that UMDNJ emphasizes GPA > MCAT, and was wondering if this is the mantra at PCOM too. I ask because I have a 3.21 overall (3.06 science) but a 32P (11PS, 11VR, 10BS) MCAT. Thanks.

Btw, I submitted the primary a month ago, and should be able to get the secondary out quickly once I am verified.

So I had a quick question regarding PCOM and the how they look upon GPA vs. MCAT. I read in another thread that UMDNJ emphasizes GPA > MCAT, and was wondering if this is the mantra at PCOM too. I ask because I have a 3.21 overall (3.06 science) but a 32P (11PS, 11VR, 10BS) MCAT. Thanks.

Btw, I submitted the primary a month ago, and should be able to get the secondary out quickly once I am verified.

First, with your MCAT, I think you will be totally fine.

This is a good point. When you ask the schools, some of them say they look at everything equally. The best way is to look at their entrance stats. Like CCOM, their average GPA last year was like a 3.4-3.5. Pretty much average, but their AVERAGE MCAT was 28, higher than most other DO schools.

In my opinion, ALL medical schools should put more weight on the MCAT. It can be the savior for someone who had a lot going on in their undergard years, like me. Also, it does offer a level playing field.

I'm writing about half a typed page for the first question...think that's enough?

As for health care related, would research in an immunology lab at the NIH count?

I hope I'm pretty competetive for this one.

sGPA: 3.45; overall GPA: 3.65
MCAT: 32R VR-11 PS-11 BS-10

ECs: 100 hours volunteering at a hospital, shadowed 2 doctors, research at the NIH, research assistant in a developmental psych lab, currently working at the American Red Cross, community service committee in pre-med society, student liason for the Red Cross club, DJ and PSA director at my campus' radio station, etc.

I'm writing about half a typed page for the first question...think that's enough?

As for health care related, would research in an immunology lab at the NIH count?

I hope I'm pretty competetive for this one.

sGPA: 3.45; overall GPA: 3.65
MCAT: 32R VR-11 PS-11 BS-10

ECs: 100 hours volunteering at a hospital, shadowed 2 doctors, research at the NIH, research assistant in a developmental psych lab, currently working at the American Red Cross, community service committee in pre-med society, student liason for the Red Cross club, DJ and PSA director at my campus' radio station, etc.
See you at PCOM next year. ;) :p

See you at PCOM next year. ;) :p

haha thank you. I have to say, I'm still a touch worried. I don't have any DO shadowing. I can possibly do it after August 7 (cause I'm working at the Red Cross full-time until then) but I do have 2 MD shadowing experiences. I know it's strongly recommended to get a DO letter for PCOM. Should I scramble to get that LOR?

If anyone is interested, I saved the pdf application as a jpeg file using Adobe Professional. You can open it in Windows Paint and fill it in using text boxes so you don't have to hand write everything in. If you want a copy, messege me and I will email it to you.

Hey guys, I may just be dense or illiterate, haha, but can someone post the secondary questions straight away? I have seen some of the questions in this thread, but I want to make sure I have all the correct ones. I submitted my application 6/27, but AACOMAS takes forever and a day to verify so I haven't received the secondary, thanks.

If anyone is interested, I saved the pdf application as a jpeg file using Adobe Professional. You can open it in Windows Paint and fill it in using text boxes so you don't have to hand write everything in. If you want a copy, messege me and I will email it to you.

There are also free PDF editors online :thumbup:

If one were to originally apply to both PCOM campuses but then decide to not apply to one of them (not send in the secondary) should one still check they applied to both campuses?