Oregon State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay I figured! Thank you both. Tess told me that the dress is business casual, but I normally wear boots in the rain...is that considered appropriate still?
We don't get much rain in Southern California! :) Except for this week of course.

Omg, I didn't even know it was business casual haha I was just going to wear a sweater and jeans :yawn:

Members don't see this ad.

Omg, I didn't even know it was business casual haha I was just going to wear a sweater and jeans :yawn:

Me too! I thought I can be casual casual for Open Days :rolleyes:

That is what Tess told me when I was emailing her. She said she was also sending another email out for visiting students, so maybe she'll mention it there?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is what Tess told me when I was emailing her. She said she was also sending another email out for visiting students, so maybe she'll mention it there?

She didn't mention that in her confirmation email when I RSVP'd for Open Days. I guess we'll wait for her follow up email ;)

She didn't mention that in her confirmation email when I RSVP'd for Open Days. I guess we'll wait for her follow up email ;)
I didn't even receive a confirmation email lol would you mind posting what she sent you.

I didn't even receive a confirmation email lol would you mind posting what she sent you.

Well, she just replied to my RSVP email and said "We're looking forward to see you in February." That's it.
Hope she will be sending out more info about the Open Days to us when it's closer to the date.

Some people live at The Retreat - has amenities, is close to school, but I find it expensive. I live in a house in Southtown (just South of Corvallis). The neighborhood is pretty new and there are quite a few vet students living in the area, and it's not super expensive. There are apartment complexes all around campus as well that people live in - within walking distance. I found my place using Craigslist, but a ton of upperclassmen post openings in their houses for first years as well.

@katashark Is there any on-campus housing (dormitary) for Vet students in OSU at all? I am bringing my dog with me to vet school. Is it easy to find pet friendly housing?

@katashark Is there any on-campus housing (dormitary) for Vet students in OSU at all? I am bringing my dog with me to vet school. Is it easy to find pet friendly housing?
There is no dorm for vet students. It's fairly easy to find pet-friendly housing, just start looking early! Also, upperclassmen post when they have availability in their houses, and they usually live in pet friendly housing. You cannot live on campus as a vet student, but you can live pretty darn close to school. Just keep in mind, the closer to campus you are, the more expensive housing will be. Plenty of people carpool, bike, or walk. Also, the bus is free!

Reactions: 1 user
Advice for interviews: Questions are mainly scenarios, the first station seems to be a softball question. You will get a notepad/pen to jot down ideas. Last year's format: receive a question at a station, you receive a few minutes to prep an answer, and ~8-10 minutes to answer. Say whatever you want, then there may be followup questions during that time. At other stations, depending on the person who is there, they can ask you questions for the whole 10 minutes, or you can ask questions of the person. Or, you can sit in silence. Then there are tours scheduled throughout the day. There are a few stations. Maybe 6. I got this information from some IS students in my class. :) Hope it helps you guys!

Hope all this helps! Keep the questions coming! :D

Just out of curiosity. How was your first quarter? Ridiculously hard or do able. I understand it's going to be hard but I'm wondering if it's at least doable

Does Oregon have a Big Sib/Little Sib kind of program? I've heard that most vet schools do, but I'm just curious.

Advice for interviews: Questions are mainly scenarios, the first station seems to be a softball question. You will get a notepad/pen to jot down ideas. Last year's format: receive a question at a station, you receive a few minutes to prep an answer, and ~8-10 minutes to answer. Say whatever you want, then there may be followup questions during that time. At other stations, depending on the person who is there, they can ask you questions for the whole 10 minutes, or you can ask questions of the person. Or, you can sit in silence. Then there are tours scheduled throughout the day. There are a few stations. Maybe 6. I got this information from some IS students in my class. :) Hope it helps you guys!
Thank you very much! Any information is much appreciated. It's nice to know that the interviewers will interact with you, apparently some places they don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity. How was your first quarter? Ridiculously hard or do able. I understand it's going to be hard but I'm wondering if it's at least doable
First quarter was hard. It was a big adjustment for most of us. We did lose 3 people from our class, but we got 3 transfer students. I'm not going to lie though, first quarter was extremely difficult. Almost all of us managed to get through it though. Winter quarter seems to be on the same level. The second years go back and forth on whether fall or winter quarter is more difficult during first year. We do have a quiz or test every single week in winter quarter, which we did not have in fall. But at least the giant adjustment is over and at least I know what I have to do in order to succeed here. :)

Does Oregon have a Big Sib/Little Sib kind of program? I've heard that most vet schools do, but I'm just curious.
Yes! There is a survey that will be sent out to you in summer time. The second years receive your answers, then we choose which littles we want. I love my big! All of the second years are pretty accessible to first years and they all want us to succeed.

Yes! There is a survey that will be sent out to you in summer time. The second years receive your answers, then we choose which littles we want. I love my big! All of the second years are pretty accessible to first years and they all want us to succeed.
That's great, to have someone you can go to who's been through it.

Reactions: 1 users
First quarter was hard. It was a big adjustment for most of us. We did lose 3 people from our class, but we got 3 transfer students. I'm not going to lie though, first quarter was extremely difficult. Almost all of us managed to get through it though. Winter quarter seems to be on the same level. The second years go back and forth on whether fall or winter quarter is more difficult during first year. We do have a quiz or test every single week in winter quarter, which we did not have in fall. But at least the giant adjustment is over and at least I know what I have to do in order to succeed here. :)

So when you say it was extremely difficult, what do you mean exactly? Is it studying/absorbing the material? Adjusting to vet school life in general? I'm glad you feel more prepared though! It must be so nerve wracking. I'm definitely nervous and I haven't even started yet!

So when you say it was extremely difficult, what do you mean exactly? Is it studying/absorbing the material? Adjusting to vet school life in general? I'm glad you feel more prepared though! It must be so nerve wracking. I'm definitely nervous and I haven't even started yet!
Every single vet school will be difficult, not just OSU. The volume of material is outrageous. Lectures/labs ~8/9am-5pm every day and then studying for hours is rough and difficult for some people to get used to. Lectures in medical professional schools go very quickly and cover a lot of material. Sure, the material at the beginning may be familiar to you based upon your background, but you eventually get to a point where you are not familiar with the material. Every class has a lot of information you need to learn, and you will not be able to learn every single detail. Also, focusing on all the classes at once is difficult. The main thing is to not get behind and use as many resources as possible, especially since most of our classes are not recorded (1 last quarter had lecture capture, 0 this quarter). You will learn your own study strategy and that may be different than what worked for you previously. We are all here to help you though. Upperclassmen have notes/outlines/handouts/homemade ppt quizzes available for a lot of the material as well. I often felt like I was trying to drink from a fire hose last quarter. Now, our test schedule makes things even more difficult and we've added a class. But, you will find what works for you! Don't be afraid to reach out for help! :D We all found a decent balance.

Reactions: 3 users
Every single vet school will be difficult, not just OSU. The volume of material is outrageous. Lectures/labs ~8/9am-5pm every day and then studying for hours is rough and difficult for some people to get used to. Lectures in medical professional schools go very quickly and cover a lot of material. Sure, the material at the beginning may be familiar to you based upon your background, but you eventually get to a point where you are not familiar with the material. Every class has a lot of information you need to learn, and you will not be able to learn every single detail. Also, focusing on all the classes at once is difficult. The main thing is to not get behind and use as many resources as possible, especially since most of our classes are not recorded (1 last quarter had lecture capture, 0 this quarter). You will learn your own study strategy and that may be different than what worked for you previously. We are all here to help you though. Upperclassmen have notes/outlines/handouts/homemade ppt quizzes available for a lot of the material as well. I often felt like I was trying to drink from a fire hose last quarter. Now, our test schedule makes things even more difficult and we've added a class. But, you will find what works for you! Don't be afraid to reach out for help! :D We all found a decent balance.

I had no doubt it would be difficult, I guess I was just curious as to what aspect you were referring to! Thank you for expanding on that. It helps a lot to hear stories like yours and you're so awesome at responding to all of our questions. We still have several months to mentally prepare. Good luck with your second quarter :)

Anyone forsure attending OSU? If so we should start looking for housing. I want to stay in a place that I could call home for the next 4 years. :)

Anyone forsure attending OSU? If so we should start looking for housing. I want to stay in a place that I could call home for the next 4 years. :)

I haven't accepted just yet, but I'm 95% sure I will be soon! I'm waiting on one more school before I make the final decision. Have you accepted already?
I've been browsing rooms and apartments but I've never had to search before, so it's all new to me. I'm hoping to visit a few places when I fly up, or at least check out some of the areas.

Lots of upperclassmen start posting housing as 4th years graduate as well, just FYI. They post in the FB group, which you'll become a part of closer in April. :)

I am so sad we can only bring one guest with us, for the first half of Open Day.....

Were we supposed to send in our fall transcripts to anyone if we've already been admitted? I am still waiting on decisions from 3 other schools, but I don't want to lose my spot at Oregon...

Were we supposed to send in our fall transcripts to anyone if we've already been admitted? I am still waiting on decisions from 3 other schools, but I don't want to lose my spot at Oregon...
I don't think I sent in Fall transcripts until summertime when I had already decided I'd attend OSU, but you can always email Tess Collins. She's very responsive.

Good luck on interviews tomorrow, all of you IS folks! I'll be around. :D
3a1ad36007758f3f1b74754a4f0891cf0c7bcb64.png

Good luck on interviews tomorrow, all of you IS folks! I'll be around. :D
3a1ad36007758f3f1b74754a4f0891cf0c7bcb64.png
Thank you so much! I'm late in the day so just trying not to go crazy until then. I'd love to meet you if you have time.

I am so sad we can only bring one guest with us, for the first half of Open Day.....

Same here. Both of my parents wanted to tour the College of Vet Med but now only one of them can go :(

BTW, Tess's email didn't mention about business casual attire. I found it odd to have a dress code for this kind of open days though.

So sorry! I was around in the atrium from about 11-2:30 in the atrium talking to students! :D
No worries! I was one of the last ones and so it was almost 5 when I got there. Sorry to have missed you though.

Same here. Both of my parents wanted to tour the College of Vet Med but now only one of them can go :(

BTW, Tess's email didn't mention about business casual attire. I found it odd to have a dress code for this kind of open days though.

I thought it was odd that she didn't mention it! I didn't even ask her the dress code, she just told me when I was emailing her. I'm thinking of just wearing dark denim, boots, and a nice sweater! Should be fine enough.

I would email or call Tess. I scheduled a personal tour of the facility (on the 23rd) so both my parents can see. You should do the same!!

Well if you have any questions still, feel free to ask me! :) Or PM if that suits you. :D
Thanks! The only thing I can think of right now is if you happen to have heard from any of your classmates how long it was until the heard back? I checked last year's thread, but couldn't find anything about that.

Thanks! The only thing I can think of right now is if you happen to have heard from any of your classmates how long it was until the heard back? I checked last year's thread, but couldn't find anything about that.
I'm not super sure, but I don't think it takes a few weeks because a bunch of my classmates have been posting Timehops of when they found out about their acceptances and interviews were approximately the same time, but I think a week prior to this year. So I'd guess a few weeks.

I'm not super sure, but I don't think it takes a few weeks because a bunch of my classmates have been posting Timehops of when they found out about their acceptances and interviews were approximately the same time, but I think a week prior to this year. So I'd guess a few weeks.
Ok, thank you very much! That helps. I have such a hard time being patient, lol.

They added another open day. Let's hope we can bring more than one guest haha

What's the date of that one (if you don't mind me asking)? :)
It's March 31st, I believe!
Too bad, I already booked my flight and hotel, can't change now.

@katashark I know you've talked about the coursework in general but do you mind sharing what the average week is like for you?

I just received an interview offer at University of Illinois, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to fly out and possibly be rejected. I'm very much leaning towards Oregon. Plus, Oregon is slightly cheaper. I'm essentially trying to compare the two schools in a variety of ways to see if anything significant stands out.

@katashark I know you've talked about the coursework in general but do you mind sharing what the average week is like for you?

I just received an interview offer at University of Illinois, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to fly out and possibly be rejected. I'm very much leaning towards Oregon. Plus, Oregon is slightly cheaper. I'm essentially trying to compare the two schools in a variety of ways to see if anything significant stands out.
Average week? A lot of hours spent at school. lol. jk...but not really....:D

So here is our schedule. The only ones up to date are Fall and Winter. Spring has some changes coming I think. They update the schedule every quarter. But check it out if you want! This will tell you classes/times, and I think you can find exam dates, but we have quizzes that are not on these schedules.
http://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/students/current

So, I am currently in year 1 Winter, which basically means I have class either 10-5 or 9-5 with a lunch break 12-1. Last quarter was 9-5 or 8-4 approximately. So that's lecture and lab. We also don't have lecture capture and some stuff is mandatory. So, we are pretty much all in class for every class unless there are extenuating circumstances.

My typical day (keep in mind that I may operate differently than my classmates)
5am - wake up
6am - gym
7:30-8am - at school
Study/breakfast/get prepared for class until class starts (on my 8am class days, I wouldn't go to the gym)
8/9/10am-12pm lecture/lab or just lecture until lunch

12pm - lunch. A lot of people bring their own lunch and we have refrigerators in a student lounge that you can keep it in. Or, there may be a Lunch Talk where they may/may not provide tasty lunch and you can listen, eat, and hopefully learn something. I usually bring something to look over during the lectures if there is a quiz/test after lunch. Lots of people also go home for lunch and let their dog out/eat lunch at home.
1pm - 4/5pm lecture and then lab, or just lecture for the rest of the day
4/5pm-11pm/12am - study/dinner either at school, in the library, at a coffee shop or at home. I tend to not get a lot done at home. If I'm studying not at home, then I'll usually head home whenever the place closes. The library/school is open 24/7. I'll usually head home at around 9. On late days, I usually bring dinner with me. Other people are able to study at home. I just get too distracted, and I'm more efficient at studying (move through more material faster) when I'm not at home. You'll find what works for you. I also meet with my various study groups during this time. Also, I usually don't study for like 7 hours straight, there's a dinner break or walk around the library or something. But most of the night is studying. I try to do 2 subjects/night, but usually when I have my study groups, I focus on 1 subject with them. I will also prepare my breakfast/lunch/gym bag/backpack for the following day before I go to sleep.
11pm/12am-5am sleep - some people sleep more than I do, but I want to get my exercise in the morning. I also like to sleep 5-6 hours per night regularly. I don't pull all nighters, and I don't stay up past midnight.

Labs tend to alternate days. So, you will pretty much have lab either in morning or afternoon, but rarely both.

This typical day repeats throughout the week. In Fall quarter, I took a night off of studying, or didn't study super late sometimes if I wasn't too stressed. This quarter is harder. One class had weekly quizzes in Fall. The other classes had midterms, quizzes, final exams, and we wrote 1 paper and did a presentation. This quarter, one class has weekly quizzes, one class has weekly tests. Then, we have midterms/exams/1 paper (so far) and 1 presentation (so far). One class also has some homework assignments this quarter.

I usually don't study on Friday nights unless I feel super behind. I'll go out with friends, or just chill at home and watch netflix. This hasn't happened as much in winter quarter as much as it did in fall quarter. I just feel behind right now.

Weekends: studying, in lab, reviewing, meeting with study groups, maybe helping with an event, club event, trying to work out and catch up on sleep, doing laundry, grocery shopping. I try to get everything done that I can so I don't run out of food in the middle of the week, which happened last quarter and sucked. I don't have any pets, but people who do spend time with them on the weekends. Also, my SO and I are long distance, so we occasionally skype or something. I assume other people spend time with their SO as well. But honestly, most of the weekend is spent studying/reviewing in the lab, especially if there is a midterm or 2 during the week. If the weather isn't terrible, I try to explore/go hiking.

Basically, sitting in class for a long time and studying for a long time, and occasional fun. I struggle with the material though, so other people may have their lives scheduled differently.

Also I'm in our student government, part of a few clubs, and I'm founding a club currently. So I like to be involved in the school. I occasionally have meetings/club stuff during lunch or after school. Other people are more involved than me, and other people aren't involved in anything.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope this helps!

This seems similar to how other schedules would be at other schools. Not sure though!

Reactions: 5 users
Average week? A lot of hours spent at school. lol. jk...but not really....:D

So here is our schedule. The only ones up to date are Fall and Winter. Spring has some changes coming I think. They update the schedule every quarter. But check it out if you want! This will tell you classes/times, and I think you can find exam dates, but we have quizzes that are not on these schedules.
http://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/students/current

So, I am currently in year 1 Winter, which basically means I have class either 10-5 or 9-5 with a lunch break 12-1. Last quarter was 9-5 or 8-4 approximately. So that's lecture and lab. We also don't have lecture capture and some stuff is mandatory. So, we are pretty much all in class for every class unless there are extenuating circumstances.

My typical day (keep in mind that I may operate differently than my classmates)
5am - wake up
6am - gym
7:30-8am - at school
Study/breakfast/get prepared for class until class starts (on my 8am class days, I wouldn't go to the gym)
8/9/10am-12pm lecture/lab or just lecture until lunch

12pm - lunch. A lot of people bring their own lunch and we have refrigerators in a student lounge that you can keep it in. Or, there may be a Lunch Talk where they may/may not provide tasty lunch and you can listen, eat, and hopefully learn something. I usually bring something to look over during the lectures if there is a quiz/test after lunch. Lots of people also go home for lunch and let their dog out/eat lunch at home.
1pm - 4/5pm lecture and then lab, or just lecture for the rest of the day
4/5pm-11pm/12am - study/dinner either at school, in the library, at a coffee shop or at home. I tend to not get a lot done at home. If I'm studying not at home, then I'll usually head home whenever the place closes. The library/school is open 24/7. I'll usually head home at around 9. On late days, I usually bring dinner with me. Other people are able to study at home. I just get too distracted, and I'm more efficient at studying (move through more material faster) when I'm not at home. You'll find what works for you. I also meet with my various study groups during this time. Also, I usually don't study for like 7 hours straight, there's a dinner break or walk around the library or something. But most of the night is studying. I try to do 2 subjects/night, but usually when I have my study groups, I focus on 1 subject with them. I will also prepare my breakfast/lunch/gym bag/backpack for the following day before I go to sleep.
11pm/12am-5am sleep - some people sleep more than I do, but I want to get my exercise in the morning. I also like to sleep 5-6 hours per night regularly. I don't pull all nighters, and I don't stay up past midnight.

Labs tend to alternate days. So, you will pretty much have lab either in morning or afternoon, but rarely both.

This typical day repeats throughout the week. In Fall quarter, I took a night off of studying, or didn't study super late sometimes if I wasn't too stressed. This quarter is harder. One class had weekly quizzes in Fall. The other classes had midterms, quizzes, final exams, and we wrote 1 paper and did a presentation. This quarter, one class has weekly quizzes, one class has weekly tests. Then, we have midterms/exams/1 paper (so far) and 1 presentation (so far). One class also has some homework assignments this quarter.

I usually don't study on Friday nights unless I feel super behind. I'll go out with friends, or just chill at home and watch netflix. This hasn't happened as much in winter quarter as much as it did in fall quarter. I just feel behind right now.

Weekends: studying, in lab, reviewing, meeting with study groups, maybe helping with an event, club event, trying to work out and catch up on sleep, doing laundry, grocery shopping. I try to get everything done that I can so I don't run out of food in the middle of the week, which happened last quarter and sucked. I don't have any pets, but people who do spend time with them on the weekends. Also, my SO and I are long distance, so we occasionally skype or something. I assume other people spend time with their SO as well. But honestly, most of the weekend is spent studying/reviewing in the lab, especially if there is a midterm or 2 during the week. If the weather isn't terrible, I try to explore/go hiking.

Basically, sitting in class for a long time and studying for a long time, and occasional fun. I struggle with the material though, so other people may have their lives scheduled differently.

Also I'm in our student government, part of a few clubs, and I'm founding a club currently. So I like to be involved in the school. I occasionally have meetings/club stuff during lunch or after school. Other people are more involved than me, and other people aren't involved in anything.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope this helps!

This seems similar to how other schedules would be at other schools. Not sure though!

This is why you are so great haha, I didn't expect such a detailed answer! Thank you! I had seen the schedule online, but it's nice to kind of get a perspective of what I'll be heading into!

This is why you are so great haha, I didn't expect such a detailed answer! Thank you! I had seen the schedule online, but it's nice to kind of get a perspective of what I'll be heading into!
My schedule is my life. lol. It's the only way I can handle how much information we need to get through, plus also have somewhat of a life. I just know I had a lot of questions last year when I was applying and there really wasn't anyone around from c/o 2019. I really hope it helps. I don't want to scare you guys!

My schedule is my life. lol. It's the only way I can handle how much information we need to get through, plus also have somewhat of a life. I just know I had a lot of questions last year when I was applying and there really wasn't anyone around from c/o 2019. I really hope it helps. I don't want to scare you guys!

Well we are lucky to have you. It will absolutely be a huge adjustment and I'm definitely really nervous but it helps to know that tons of you have gone through it and survived. So I know we will get through too. It's also very exciting ! But my nerves always come first aha.

Well we are lucky to have you. It will absolutely be a huge adjustment and I'm definitely really nervous but it helps to know that tons of you have gone through it and survived. So I know we will get through too. It's also very exciting ! But my nerves always come first aha.
Second years are always here to help you too. :)

Second years are always here to help you too. :)
We are seriously SOOOOO lucky to have you. Thank you again for not only answering all of our questions but in detail. WE CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH