Oregon State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@katashark When did you/when do most OOS move to Corvallis? I believe classes start Wednesday, Sept. 20th and I know there are orientation days prior to classes starting so I'm trying to gauge when I will actually be moving up. Also, once the class is finalized in April will we start getting more information about all of this?

Members don't see this ad.

@katashark When did you/when do most OOS move to Corvallis? I believe classes start Wednesday, Sept. 20th and I know there are orientation days prior to classes starting so I'm trying to gauge when I will actually be moving up. Also, once the class is finalized in April will we start getting more information about all of this?
I moved a few days before orientation, but some people aren't comfortable with that. Others moved September 1/labor day. Others moved earlier in the summer. I just wanted to spend more time with my family, and I'm glad I did. Our orientation started the Friday before the first day of class. I'm assuming it'll be the same for you guys, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: 1 user
@katashark @kernel Hi, it's good to see another current OSU student in this forum :) I will be moving cross country (from FL) to OR and won't have a car, at least not right away anyway. I'm wondering where and how you get furniture for the place you rent if it's unfurnished. I've been doing some research on housing and most of the apartments are unfurnished.

Members don't see this ad :)
@katashark @kernel Hi, it's good to see another current OSU student in this forum :) I will be moving cross country (from FL) to OR and won't have a car, at least not right away anyway. I'm wondering where and how you get furniture for the place you rent if it's unfurnished. I've been doing some research on housing and most of the apartments are unfurnished.
I moved here from FL in September, but I just made sure that I rented a furnished place. If you need help in the fall, I can help you move stuff when I'm around. I have a big car. You can also use a uhaul or a cube or ask people on the FB group? or have furniture delivered?

Reactions: 1 users
FYI-

Housing in Corvallis can be extremely difficult to find (that's within a reasonable student budget). What's more is that there are very few property management companies that allow pets (esp. large breeds). Although private/individual landlords seem to be pretty flexible, in my experience. Also, as you approach late summer things go fast, and there isn't much to begin with; apparently the undergraduate housing on campus leaves much to be desired, so after freshman year students flock to off-campus housing. I would recommend you start perusing CL in April, just to see what's out there. If you're wanting a place with other vet students, people frequently post on the school-wide and individual class Facebook pages. That's a great place to start.

I have been very lucky with housing. When I was an incoming first year, the dean's office compiled a list of housing availabilities through graduating vet students and faculty. I don't know if that's still a thing--the woman that orchestrated it is no longer here. I lucked out with a small 1 bedroom house that was previously rented by a student. My current place I found through word of mouth. That seems to be the way to go.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Reactions: 2 users
I moved a few days before orientation, but some people aren't comfortable with that. Others moved September 1/labor day. Others moved earlier in the summer. I just wanted to spend more time with my family, and I'm glad I did. Our orientation started the Friday before the first day of class. I'm assuming it'll be the same for you guys, but I'm not sure.

FYI-

Housing in Corvallis can be extremely difficult to find (that's within a reasonable student budget). What's more is that there are very few property management companies that allow pets (esp. large breeds). Although private/individual landlords seem to be pretty flexible, in my experience. Also, as you approach late summer things go fast, and there isn't much to begin with; apparently the undergraduate housing on campus leaves much to be desired, so after freshman year students flock to off-campus housing. I would recommend you start perusing CL in April, just to see what's out there. If you're wanting a place with other vet students, people frequently post on the school-wide and individual class Facebook pages. That's a great place to start.

I have been very lucky with housing. When I was an incoming first year, the dean's office compiled a list of housing availabilities through graduating vet students and faculty. I don't know if that's still a thing--the woman that orchestrated it is no longer here. I lucked out with a small 1 bedroom house that was previously rented by a student. My current place I found through word of mouth. That seems to be the way to go.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I've been researching a few different places and I'm starting to contact property management companies etc. Now, this may sound like a stupid question but I've never had to rent a place before, but many of the places I am looking at currently want renters to move in right away. I'd prefer to stay home as long as possible, so I shouldn't put any applications in until July/August correct? I'm not too familiar with all of this.

Also what is considered reasonable for the area? Coming from California, at least what I've seen so far, everything seems so much more reasonable than housing where I'm at. From the posts I've seen ~$600 seems to be average, is that about right?

I've been researching a few different places and I'm starting to contact property management companies etc. Now, this may sound like a stupid question but I've never had to rent a place before, but many of the places I am looking at currently want renters to move in right away. I'd prefer to stay home as long as possible, so I shouldn't put any applications in until July/August correct? I'm not too familiar with all of this.

Also what is considered reasonable for the area? Coming from California, at least what I've seen so far, everything seems so much more reasonable than housing where I'm at. From the posts I've seen ~$600 seems to be average, is that about right?
Yeah depends on how many roommates you want. Upperclassmen will start posting openings for roommates on FB (you'll join at some point) early in the summer. I would not wait until July/August, the good places might get filled up. I found my roommate on Craiglist, she was cool with me not moving in. But I had to pay rent starting in July, even though I wasn't moving in until September. I did not have to pay utilities though. You'll find something. Are you looking at living alone or with roommates? Living alone is significantly more expensive, and most people I know are paying ~$800. Most people with roomies are paying $500-600. Some more, some less. There are some more expensive places - The Union, The Retreat. I live in Southtown (about a 9minute drive to school, but easily bike rideable as well). The bus is also FREE! Do you have a car? Do you need parking? Do you want coin-op laundry or a dishwasher? How close to campus do you need to be? Some people live in Philomath and Albany because it's cheaper. It's good you are looking now, keep you eye out for a good place :) Let me know if you have any more questions.

Yeah depends on how many roommates you want. Upperclassmen will start posting openings for roommates on FB (you'll join at some point) early in the summer. I would not wait until July/August, the good places might get filled up. I found my roommate on Craiglist, she was cool with me not moving in. But I had to pay rent starting in July, even though I wasn't moving in until September. I did not have to pay utilities though. You'll find something. Are you looking at living alone or with roommates? Living alone is significantly more expensive, and most people I know are paying ~$800. Most people with roomies are paying $500-600. Some more, some less. There are some more expensive places - The Union, The Retreat. I live in Southtown (about a 9minute drive to school, but easily bike rideable as well). The bus is also FREE! Do you have a car? Do you need parking? Do you want coin-op laundry or a dishwasher? How close to campus do you need to be? Some people live in Philomath and Albany because it's cheaper. It's good you are looking now, keep you eye out for a good place :) Let me know if you have any more questions.
That's helpful, thank you! So odds are, if I don't want to move until September, I'll most likely have to pay rent earlier if I find a good place. I'd like to live with other vet students for sure, I am 99% sure I am bringing my car because I'd rather not be without it, and the basic amenities are preferable. I think I'd prefer to stay in Corvallis as well, but I have hear about Philomath and Albany being significantly cheaper. Are most students signing year long leases as well, do you know? So much of this is new to me and I didn't realize how much work goes into it!

That's helpful, thank you! So odds are, if I don't want to move until September, I'll most likely have to pay rent earlier if I find a good place. I'd like to live with other vet students for sure, I am 99% sure I am bringing my car because I'd rather not be without it, and the basic amenities are preferable. I think I'd prefer to stay in Corvallis as well, but I have hear about Philomath and Albany being significantly cheaper. Are most students signing year long leases as well, do you know? So much of this is new to me and I didn't realize how much work goes into it!
Finding housing was the hardest thing for me. I didn't want to move until September either, but from what I've seen most of the leases start in summertime. I don't know of anyone with a monthly lease and not a year. There might be a couple of 9-month leases out there. But yeah, Corvallis is essentially all students, so I feel like landlords in all collegetowns know that they better make students sign a year lease, or they won't make any money june-september. You might find a place that starts renting in September, but I don't know what your summer plans are for after first year as well. My roommate is a PhD student and she's great. It's kinda nice to not live with a vet student, because then I can escape school for at least a little while. I spend almost every waking minute with other vet students. lol. Philomath isn't far at all. Albany is ~20 minutes away. That's where Costco, Target, the big Walmart, and other large stores are. You'll find a place, don't worry!! :D

Hello @kernel i noticed how you are a fourth year. I would love to hear your opinion about OSU. And maybe about the NAVLE's and state licensing exams. Thanks in advance

I just officially accepted my position ahhhhhh :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Hi!

There are a couple places in town that sell furniture; one of them actually employs OSU students to repair and refinish items donated to them. It's pretty sheep. There's an ARC but they tend to be more expensive. Craiglist is usually pretty good, particularly towards the end of each term.

I have a hatchback, so I had to bribe friends who have trucks with pizza and beer to move the big stuff.

You might luck out and find a place that comes furnished though. I'm at my second living space since moving here and it came furnished :)

Hello @kernel i noticed how you are a fourth year. I would love to hear your opinion about OSU. And maybe about the NAVLE's and state licensing exams. Thanks in advance

Hey! I'm actually still a third year; I was in the class of 2017 until last year and then opted to take 9 months off (mental health reasons :(). I have heard quite a bit from my friends about the low down on 4th year. From advice to listening to them bitch/rave about various little details, clinicians, workload...

Disclaimer: this will probably be more criticism-oriented than not; you can get the positives anywhere, but I know that when people ask this question they wanna know the low down dirty.

The small class size is great, although I hear that next year we will be going from 55 to 72 students. TBH, I suspect that will pose a huge issue with space. The facilities are pretty small in comparison to other schools, and they haven't started any renovations yet... Our anatomy lab is really nice but TINY. It was packed when we were just 55.

I'm interested in mixed practice, with a heavy focus on cattle. I think our LA hospital--the staff and efficiency of the place--is awesome (some of my SA 4th year friends have really disliked it, but theyre biased :yuck:). LA it has been around for a while, however the SA hospital was only built in 2017. It's disappointing to me that we are a referral-only practice; you can't just waltz in. The only emergency services we have are offered to students (which is nice, definitely have taken advantage of that...) and current patients. It's physically small as well as grossly understaffed. We are also lacking a dermatology, neuro and ophthalmology dept/clinician. And an actual board certified criticalist. It sucks; even through we bring professors in for these subjects, not having having one 4th year makes it challenging. If you're interested, you have to do a preceptorship elsewhere. I've also heard that there are a couple rotations that kinda suck. Radiology for instance has great clinicians, but for reason the students end up taking radiographs the whole time and not actually learning how to interpret them.

As far as pre-4th year coursework, it's a mixed bag. There are PHENOMENAL professors, not so good (either difficult, totally confusing or unqualified [we have a medical chemist teaching pharm... she's a wonderful person and obviously has some great credentials, but she joined the staff 2 years ago and doesn't know squat about vet med]), and some that are really poor teachers in a lecture setting but FANtastic in clinics.

More on the ****ty professors: I don't know if it's like this at other schools, but we have a professor who is hell-bent on weeding people out. She's actually stated that she sees herself as the "gatekeeper". We tend to lost a lot of people first year (anywhere from 3-6, which is a lot with our numbers). Most of them come back the next year, but it sucks.

We FINALLY got a mental health worker last year. Again, I dont know if it's like this at other schools, but it seems the topic of mental health gets brushed under the rug. My situation was that I saw everyone else puttering alone, so I kept telling myself I should bury my **** and press on until it was too late. That said, I think we're getting better about it. The administration is really understanding. I love our dean.

What would you like to know about the NAVLE? I do have quite a bit of insight from my friends who took it, although I obviously haven't taken it. 99% of people buy a subscription to a prep service (VetPrep or Zukureview). I actually only know of one person who just studied from their notes. The general consensus though is that really you should look at your 3rd year as studying for the NAVLE. Some people only made it 20% through their practice questions. It sounds like it could go either way as far as usefulness. I've also heard from several people that taking as many of "The Big Four" (SA med, LA med, SA surgery, and LA surgery) as you can before you take the exam is extremely helpful.
By the time you take the NAVLE, you will have had plenty of practice taking multiple choice tests. Exams are frequent, usually 1 per week starting around the 3rd week of the term, There ALL multiple choice, with like 4 or 5 (out of 100s lol) being exceptions. Sucks if you're like me and prefer written :yeahright:.
I don't know anything about state licensing exams, but I can certainly ask my friends if they can comment on it.

I hope that helps! Do you have any specific/other questions?

Reactions: 4 users
Our anatomy lab is really nice but TINY. It was packed when we were just 55.
So small. I don't know what they are gonna do with 72. They are going to need to have 2 sections of anatomy lab. Plus the classroom is small enough as it is. You can already barely fit through the tables to get in/out of a seat that isn't on the aisle.

We FINALLY got a mental health worker last year.
He's amazing!

More on the ****ty professors: I don't know if it's like this at other schools, but we have a professor who is hell-bent on weeding people out. She's actually stated that she sees herself as the "gatekeeper". We tend to lost a lot of people first year (anywhere from 3-6, which is a lot with our numbers). Most of them come back the next year, but it sucks.
I'm ALMOST DONE WITH HER! I'm not forced to ever interact with again, right? She sucks big time.

Don't know who you are, but nice to meet you, 3rd year! I'm a 1st year. :)

I'm ALMOST DONE WITH HER! I'm not forced to ever interact with again, right? She sucks big time.

Bahahaha I still have nightmares about her. And back when I took that class, she and the other (cool) dude split it half and half in the fall and spring. I surely would have failed had I had her all term. You guys amaze me for weathering that clusterf--er, storm.

You can do it!! Spring is a BREEZE

Nice to meet you! I'm sorta tall, awkward and usually late to everything, so maybe you'll recognize me at some point ;) Feel free to PM me if you ever have questions and whatnot!

Hey! I'm actually still a third year; I was in the class of 2017 until last year and then opted to take 9 months off (mental health reasons :(). I have heard quite a bit from my friends about the low down on 4th year. From advice to listening to them bitch/rave about various little details, clinicians, workload...

Disclaimer: this will probably be more criticism-oriented than not; you can get the positives anywhere, but I know that when people ask this question they wanna know the low down dirty.

The small class size is great, although I hear that next year we will be going from 55 to 72 students. TBH, I suspect that will pose a huge issue with space. The facilities are pretty small in comparison to other schools, and they haven't started any renovations yet... Our anatomy lab is really nice but TINY. It was packed when we were just 55.

I'm interested in mixed practice, with a heavy focus on cattle. I think our LA hospital--the staff and efficiency of the place--is awesome (some of my SA 4th year friends have really disliked it, but theyre biased :yuck:). LA it has been around for a while, however the SA hospital was only built in 2017. It's disappointing to me that we are a referral-only practice; you can't just waltz in. The only emergency services we have are offered to students (which is nice, definitely have taken advantage of that...) and current patients. It's physically small as well as grossly understaffed. We are also lacking a dermatology, neuro and ophthalmology dept/clinician. And an actual board certified criticalist. It sucks; even through we bring professors in for these subjects, not having having one 4th year makes it challenging. If you're interested, you have to do a preceptorship elsewhere. I've also heard that there are a couple rotations that kinda suck. Radiology for instance has great clinicians, but for reason the students end up taking radiographs the whole time and not actually learning how to interpret them.

As far as pre-4th year coursework, it's a mixed bag. There are PHENOMENAL professors, not so good (either difficult, totally confusing or unqualified [we have a medical chemist teaching pharm... she's a wonderful person and obviously has some great credentials, but she joined the staff 2 years ago and doesn't know squat about vet med]), and some that are really poor teachers in a lecture setting but FANtastic in clinics.

We FINALLY got a mental health worker last year. Again, I dont know if it's like this at other schools, but it seems the topic of mental health gets brushed under the rug. My situation was that I saw everyone else puttering alone, so I kept telling myself I should bury my **** and press on until it was too late. That said, I think we're getting better about it. The administration is really understanding. I love our dean.

What would you like to know about the NAVLE? I do have quite a bit of insight from my friends who took it, although I obviously haven't taken it. 99% of people buy a subscription to a prep service (VetPrep or Zukureview). I actually only know of one person who just studied from their notes. The general consensus though is that really you should look at your 3rd year as studying for the NAVLE. Some people only made it 20% through their practice questions. It sounds like it could go either way as far as usefulness. I've also heard from several people that taking as many of "The Big Four" (SA med, LA med, SA surgery, and LA surgery) as you can before you take the exam is extremely helpful.
By the time you take the NAVLE, you will have had plenty of practice taking multiple choice tests. Exams are frequent, usually 1 per week starting around the 3rd week of the term, There ALL multiple choice, with like 4 or 5 (out of 100s lol) being exceptions. Sucks if you're like me and prefer written :yeahright:.
I don't know anything about state licensing exams, but I can certainly ask my friends if they can comment on it.

I hope that helps! Do you have any specific/other questions?

Thank you for your honest opinion!!! I truly appreciate it!!!!

I'm ALMOST DONE WITH HER! I'm not forced to ever interact with again, right? She sucks big time

I've even heard of her! Several of my friends are fairly recent grads. I'm scared!!!:confused:

Although I should add not enough to stop me, lol.

You'll make it. We are all here to help! Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can. The final is next Monday! :scared:
Thank you!!! Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Anyone going to the Open Days tomorrow???

I've been in Corvallis since yesterday. So far, I am in love. :love: I went to dinner at Block 15, breakfast at Broken Yolk this morning, visited Creekside apartments to check them out, went on a self-guided tour of the campus, and have just been exploring the area. If anyone would like to meet up tomorrow, let me know! I'm excited

I've been in Corvallis since yesterday. So far, I am in love. :love: I went to dinner at Block 15, breakfast at Broken Yolk this morning, visited Creekside apartments to check them out, went on a self-guided tour of the campus, and have just been exploring the area. If anyone would like to meet up tomorrow, let me know! I'm excited

I went in February. How's the weather?!

Try Sky High or Koriander maybe? Idk what food you like. I would meet up, but I have finals and they are scary.

Platypus, the weather is beautiful today!! I lucked out... 55 degree F and sunny today. Tomorrow it will be rainy again, but no surprises there. :)

Kata, I really want to try Koriander! Thanks for the suggestions. I totally understand!! Good luck on your finals! You can do it buddy

I went in February as well. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!! What did you think of Creekside apartments? I've been researching all different types of housing and I recall them coming up in my search.

On a separate note, I can't believe in 5 measly months that I'll be living there! I feel like I just found out I was accepted not that long ago.

Glad to hear you're liking things! I'd love to meet tomorrow. I won't be at the actual open day, I'm IS, but maybe we can meet after?

Have fun At open day! Hope the weather is nice!!

Took myself off the waitlist!

FYI (this year or the next), OOS people were sent the following information:
At this point, all of our non-resident positions have been filled by first-round offers. It is not uncommon for a couple of folks to withdraw from the program prior to classes beginning in September, and if that happens the Admissions Committee will move forward with ranking the non-resident alternate list and making the appropriate number of offers to fill the class. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that this will happen or provide a timeline.

What type of loans does Oregon offer? Perkins? HPSL?

I don't remember if they do or not, sorry! I don't recall getting one. You do get a packet of some sort in the mail.

I still have not received any packet from OSU. I thought more communications would come after April 18 when the class is set. In fact, other than asking me to fill out the heath and immunizations info, I haven't received much info from the school like financial aid info yet. Will those come later?

I still have not received any packet from OSU. I thought more communications would come after April 18 when the class is set. In fact, other than asking me to fill out the heath and immunizations info, I haven't received much info from the school like financial aid info yet. Will those come later?
I remember being surprised at how late things come. We don't start class until September 20th, so I remember getting some stuff in July. You can always contact Tess and see what their timeline is.

I remember getting freaked out because I didn't hear anything until late in July about registering for classes and financial aid. I was actually pretty frustrated with the lack of guidance in all of that, but it all works out fine in the end.
I did contact Tess a lot to help ease some of my paranoia, she was always very helpful and patient with me. One thing I would recommend, if you have gotten your myOSU login information already, I would get on there and set up your direct deposit for financial aid. I was never told that I needed to do that until it was too late. So they had to send me a paper check and it took about 1.5 weeks longer to get it that way. I don't remember when they sent me myOSU set up information, but if you have that, I would at least set that up =] Also, make sure to be checking your OSU email address! They sent me a lot of stuff on there and not on my normal gmail account. You will eventually hear about registering for classes and get your financial aid award. Don't stress on it <3 Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on getting in!!

Last edited:
Does anyone have the link to the email login webpage? I have an Oregon State email address now, but I can't figure out how to login to it for the life of me...

I tried using Outlook because that is what my undergrad institution used, but it didn't work.

Does anyone have the link to the email login webpage? I have an Oregon State email address now, but I can't figure out how to login to it for the life of me...

I tried using Outlook because that is what my undergrad institution used, but it didn't work.
You can use gmail and login with your osu email address. or try going here and accessing the ONID mail. | Site Directory | Oregon State University

is it easy to find dog friendly housing in Corvallis?

Would any OOS mind posting their stats? It would be so much easier to find here than the stats forum

Would any OOS mind posting their stats? It would be so much easier to find here than the stats forum
As requested.

From California

Cumulative: 3.76
Science: 3.71
Last 45: 3.70

I didn't apply to Oregon, but it's possible to search just in the stats thread. Just search "Oregon" and check the box for "search this thread only." Not a lot of people apply to Oregon (IS or OOS), so you won't have tons to sort through, but I bet you'll get some helpful info. You can probably also find stats by searching in previous years' Oregon State application threads.