Oregon State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll have to look into OTF, sounds interesting. I've used Dixon, but I was a little disappointed with their classes this term and I do better if I have a class time to be at.
Same, that's also why I like OTF. If you don't cancel your class 8 hours in advance, you get charged $20 I think. It motivates me to go to class. You can take a free class to start. Just call/email and you can fb message them as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Same, that's also why I like OTF. If you don't cancel your class 8 hours in advance, you get charged $20 I think. It motivates me to go to class. You can take a free class to start. Just call/email and you can fb message them as well.
Thanks, I'll have to check into that!

Members don't see this ad :)
@katashark Hey Kata!! How's your winter quarter going? I heard it's the hardest quarter!
It's definitely more difficult than last quarter. Fall quarter was much better even though it was still hard. lol. I'm just trudging along until Spring Quarter where I hear you can go outside sometimes :p Yeah, I'm studying a lot more this quarter than last and trying to pass my classes. It's really not the difficulty of the information, it's just that there is so much information that we have this quarter. Minute detail sort of stuff. Also, we have a multiple tests per week at this point. But that will ease up next week until finals! :D My SO visited this weekend, so I'm a bit behind with stuff, but it was so totally worth it to destress for 2 days. We are all helping each other get through. We will help you too!

Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely more difficult than last quarter. Fall quarter was much better even though it was still hard. lol. I'm just trudging along until Spring Quarter where I hear you can go outside sometimes :p Yeah, I'm studying a lot more this quarter than last and trying to pass my classes. It's really not the difficulty of the information, it's just that there is so much information that we have this quarter. Minute detail sort of stuff. Also, we have a multiple tests per week at this point. But that will ease up next week until finals! :D My SO visited this weekend, so I'm a bit behind with stuff, but it was so totally worth it to destress for 2 days. We are all helping each other get through. We will help you too!
Thanks so much for being honest about the work load, its nice to know what I'm getting into. And thanks a million times for the offers of support, that will make it so much better!!!! I'm so happy you got to see your SO and good luck with your studies.

@katashark This may sound a tad random, but does OSU offer feeding programs? Through my clinic I'm a part of the Royal Canin Feeding Program so I get discounted food for my dog. I was just curious if that's continued while we are students! Or if there is something comparable.

@katashark This may sound a tad random, but does OSU offer feeding programs? Through my clinic I'm a part of the Royal Canin Feeding Program so I get discounted food for my dog. I was just curious if that's continued while we are students! Or if there is something comparable.
Yes! I think there is Royal Canin and Hills programs, as well as Oxbow for any exotics. I personally don't have any pets, but they talk about how to sign up for this at orientation. :) There are some pretty good discounts from what I hear. There are certain days each month (usually Wednesdays) where people can pick up food across the street from the vet school.

@katashark I was wondering if any of the lectures are recorded in some way and how much you use Canvas? Thanks again for taking time to answer all our questions!

@katashark I was wondering if any of the lectures are recorded in some way and how much you use Canvas? Thanks again for taking time to answer all our questions!
I use Canvas every day. For first quarter, only physiology had lecture capture. For this quarter, technically no classes are recorded. In my class, there are a couple of students who have received permission from certain instructors to record sound and post it to our share drive. I think some of us recommended more lecture capture for the future, but some professors are not cool with it. So if you record and want to share it with the class, then you should ask permission from the professor.

I use Canvas every day. For first quarter, only physiology had lecture capture. For this quarter, technically no classes are recorded. In my class, there are a couple of students who have received permission from certain instructors to record sound and post it to our share drive. I think some of us recommended more lecture capture for the future, but some professors are not cool with it. So if you record and want to share it with the class, then you should ask permission from the professor.
Ok, thanks! I'm honestly not sure if it helps or not, but I've been playing with different study techniques and was curious about what is available.

Ok, thanks! I'm honestly not sure if it helps or not, but I've been playing with different study techniques and was curious about what is available.
Yeah, I've tried a bunch of different study techniques! I still don't have something that works super great for everything, but I'm getting by and so will you! :) There are tutors from the 2nd year class. They have been very helpful to me. :D We also have a share drive with lots of great study materials!

@katashark Does OSU "required" students to have certain type of tablets or laptops? I've heard that some school mandatory required students to have iPad. Is it more useful (in OSU) to have tablet or laptop? Also, you mentioned shared drive. Is it Google Drive or something accessible from the web? Thanks again for being so helpful. You're the best!

Yeah, I've tried a bunch of different study techniques! I still don't have something that works super great for everything, but I'm getting by and so will you! :) There are tutors from the 2nd year class. They have been very helpful to me. :D We also have a share drive with lots of great study materials!
That's great to know! I'm a little nervous because its been a long time since I've taken more than a few credits at a time. The amount of resources there seems to be through the school is very comforting though and you are always so encouraging!

Members don't see this ad :)
Only a week left before we come to visit! Man, time flies. I'm so excited!

Reactions: 1 users
@katashark Does OSU "required" students to have certain type of tablets or laptops? I've heard that some school mandatory required students to have iPad. Is it more useful (in OSU) to have tablet or laptop? Also, you mentioned shared drive. Is it Google Drive or something accessible from the web? Thanks again for being so helpful. You're the best!
OSU does not require any sort of device from students. The share drive is something that you'll set up during orientation with IT. It is accessible from anywhere - and is internet based. I can get on it when I go home to AZ, I can use it at Starbucks, school, etc. It's also set up on the computers at the school - in the library and lounge and stuff. I use Google Drive for group projects and stuff, but the share drive is like a network that your computer hooks into and then the network thinks your computer is part of OSU using a VPN. I don't exactly know the technical details, but they explain it to you at orientation! A few students use iPads, a few use tablets such as Microsoft Surface, and most use laptops. I have my laptop open (I record lecture for myself personally to go back and catch key things, but I don't share my recordings nor do I listen to entire lectures unless I'm driving to Portland :p), but I print things (powerpoints double sided with 6 slides per page to handwrite notes on as well. Handwriting keeps me awake and less distracted compared to an electronic device. But I don't write down every word that is said, if you are the type of note taker that writes down every word, then you'll definitely need to be typing. I hope that helps! But yeah, there's no device requirement. :)

That's great to know! I'm a little nervous because its been a long time since I've taken more than a few credits at a time. The amount of resources there seems to be through the school is very comforting though and you are always so encouraging!
The second years helped our class a ton! And we will help you too! Use as many resources as you need! :D Professors have review sessions, the gross anatomy professors come in on Saturdays before the midterms. Study groups! Study buddies! There's so many things you can try out to find what works for you. I use a combo of all. Different things work better for different classes.

You've got this! I know it's hard and my schedule this quarter is scary, but I promise Fall quarter was way easier. and Spring quarter is supposed to be even better/easier/more manageable.

Last edited:
The second years helped our class a ton! And we will help you too! Use as many resources as you need! :D Professors have review sessions, the gross anatomy professors come in on Saturdays before the midterms. Study groups! Study buddies! There's so many things you can try out to find what works for you. I use a combo of all. Different things work better for different classes.

You've got this! I know it's hard and my schedule this quarter is scary, but I promise Fall quarter was way easier. and Spring quarter is supposed to be even better/easier/more manageable.
Thanks so much!! I really am super excited!! And going back to recording, if I decide it helps, lol, do you ask to record if you aren't sharing?

@katashark you are seriously a lifesaver! We are VERY lucky to have you. Not only are you answering our questions, but your responding with such detail. We all need to meet up and take Kata out to pizza or something haha. I really hope I pair with you as my big! Lol

Last edited:
Thanks so much!! I really am super excited!! And going back to recording, if I decide it helps, lol, do you ask to record if you aren't sharing?
I HIGHLY recommend recording your lectures. I recorded every class (literally every class) during my undergrad at Davis and it was a lifesaver. I always made sure the professors were okay with it though. Some professors feel uncomfortable.

I asked, yes. And I made it clear that I wouldn't share it. :) But others have asked and they share it as well. You'll get all the important info you need, don't worry!

@katashark you are seriously a lifesaver! We are VERY lucky to have you. Not only are you answering our questions, but your responding with such detail. We all need to meet up and take Kata out to pizza or something haha. I really hope I pair with you as my big! Lol
We actually have you guys fill out a questionnaire over the summer and then we choose our littles! But I'll never turn down pizza! :hungry:

We should do this!! It would be fun and we really do appreciate all your help @katashark you are so amazing!!

I HIGHLY recommend recording your lectures. I recorded every class (literally every class) during my undergrad at Davis and it was a lifesaver. I always made sure the professors were okay with it though. Some professors feel uncomfortable.
Good to know it worked well for you, thank you!

I asked, yes. And I made it clear that I wouldn't share it. :) But others have asked and they share it as well. You'll get all the important info you need, don't worry!
Thanks for the reassurance! It's much appreciated.

@katashark & @cowgirl92 I was looking at the weather next week for Open Day and it looks like it will be cloudy/~50 degrees. I'm trying to debate what to pack with me. Is it appropriate to just wear a raincoat, jeans, and boots? I think Tess said the dress is casual but some of the activities would be outdoor. I'm a little nervous about my little SoCal self being too cold! Also, is there anything else I should bring with me?

I think it said in Portland there may be snow showers as well. What exactly does a snow shower entail?

Thank you both!

@katashark & @cowgirl92 I was looking at the weather next week for Open Day and it looks like it will be cloudy/~50 degrees. I'm trying to debate what to pack with me. Is it appropriate to just wear a raincoat, jeans, and boots? I think Tess said the dress is casual but some of the activities would be outdoor. I'm a little nervous about my little SoCal self being too cold! Also, is there anything else I should bring with me?

I think it said in Portland there may be snow showers as well. What exactly does a snow shower entail?

Thank you both!
I can't speak for the appropriateness, sorry! But my advice is to wear layers. This time of year I usually do some sort of long sleeved shirt, then a sweater or down vest, depending, and then my rain jacket over top. It's usually warm enough, but you can pull layers off if it happens to get nice. As far as snow showers, I saw that on one forecast site, but not on the national weather service and the overall trend seems to not be really cold, so I think probably what they mean is that it won't snow hard, or only for a brief period of time and won't stick or will melt quickly. Overall, I don't thing you need to be concerned, if you are coming in on Friday, with any luck anything they get will be over and gone. But better to be a few hours late, or stay the night in Portland and drive down in the morning if there are any questions. The website www.tripcheck.org is really good and will tell you if there are hazardous road conditions.

I really hope its nice next week lol

I can't speak for the appropriateness, sorry! But my advice is to wear layers. This time of year I usually do some sort of long sleeved shirt, then a sweater or down vest, depending, and then my rain jacket over top. It's usually warm enough, but you can pull layers off if it happens to get nice. As far as snow showers, I saw that on one forecast site, but not on the national weather service and the overall trend seems to not be really cold, so I think probably what they mean is that it won't snow hard, or only for a brief period of time and won't stick or will melt quickly. Overall, I don't thing you need to be concerned, if you are coming in on Friday, with any luck anything they get will be over and gone. But better to be a few hours late, or stay the night in Portland and drive down in the morning if there are any questions. The website www.tripcheck.org is really good and will tell you if there are hazardous road conditions.

Thank you! I will keep checking up until Wednesday night. Rain, I can deal with but snow showers confused me haha.

I hope it's nice too. It was nice out this weekend and last weekend, but during last week it sucked. lol. I hope it gets nice again for you guys! :)

Well, I was officially rejected from my in-state school. Oregon State is looking more like reality now. So far I've been accepted to OrState, Lincoln-Memorial, and waitlisted at UGA, but I am visiting Oregon in March for the Open Day and I am ecstatic.

I also want to thank everyone on this thread for being so positive and uplifting. You all seem so friendly! Thank you :love:

Well, I was officially rejected from my in-state school. Oregon State is looking more like reality now. So far I've been accepted to OrState, Lincoln-Memorial, and waitlisted at UGA, but I am visiting Oregon in March for the Open Day and I am ecstatic.

I also want to thank everyone on this thread for being so positive and uplifting. You all seem so friendly! Thank you :love:
Very sorry to hear you didn't get into your IS. But we'll be very happy to have you join us, if you decide to :) If you'd like to get together when you come, PM me. I'll be around most weekends in March.

Very sorry to hear you didn't get into your IS. But we'll be very happy to have you join us, if you decide to :) If you'd like to get together when you come, PM me. I'll be around most weekends in March.
Thank you!! I probably will PM you some time this week. :)

Sorry to hear about your instate :/ ! I just visited yesterday for the first Open Day & had a great time. I hope your enjoy your visit! I was rejected by my instate as well, but sometimes these things work out for a reason.

Sorry to hear about your instate :/ ! I just visited yesterday for the first Open Day & had a great time. I hope your enjoy your visit! I was rejected by my instate as well, but sometimes these things work out for a reason.
That makes me a feel a lot better. Whether I decide to go to Oregon State or not, I really appreciate it. I am so excited to hopefully get to me you all some day! I'm also really hoping I fall in love when I visit. I'm from Florida so it's a long ways away, but I am thrilled to get the chance to go see the area and the school! March 17th is so close!

That makes me a feel a lot better. Whether I decide to go to Oregon State or not, I really appreciate it. I am so excited to hopefully get to me you all some day! I'm also really hoping I fall in love when I visit. I'm from Florida so it's a long ways away, but I am thrilled to get the chance to go see the area and the school! March 17th is so close!
My SO currently lives in FL and I was living there before I started school. So, I'm back in FL as often as I can! He visits once or twice each quarter too. :)

My SO currently lives in FL and I was living there before I started school. So, I'm back in FL as often as I can! He visits once or twice each quarter too. :)
Kata, I definitely would love to know more about how you and your SO handle the distance! Haha
My guy and I have been together for over 6 years, and we plan on staying together. He has about 1 year left of undergrad in FL, and is concerned about distance (I'm not trying to think about it right now, tbh). I'm just living my dream :beaver: :p
But it's a conversation that we plan to have soon. I'm more concerned about what he will do when he graduates undergrad... move up to Oregon or find a job in FL. Lol

Whatever you decide will be right for you. It's a big decision! March 17th will fly by. Let us know what you think!

Kata, I definitely would love to know more about how you and your SO handle the distance! Haha
My guy and I have been together for over 6 years, and we plan on staying together. He has about 1 year left of undergrad in FL, and is concerned about distance (I'm not trying to think about it right now, tbh). I'm just living my dream :beaver: :p
But it's a conversation that we plan to have soon. I'm more concerned about what he will do when he graduates undergrad... move up to Oregon or find a job in FL. Lol
The distance is definitely hard. He came up for White Coat and Halloween and 2 weeks ago. I went down for Thanksgiving and a bit of winter break. We spent a while together over winter break, but this quarter has been super hard. He tries not to visit when I have tests and stuff, but this quarter is filled with tests. Next quarter will be better though! We skype and talk on the phone often. We will sometimes watch a show or a movie together. Sometimes we skype while we cook dinner, and then we eat together and talk. :) Those are the best. We've been long distance for most of our relationship. Out of the 2.5 years together, we've been long distance for 2 of them. We manage to make it work, and you eventually get used to it, but it is really hard. The vet school schedule + the time change with FL is rough sometimes. My SO is looking for jobs on the west coast because at least that will be much closer. Definitely talk about it. It really helps to have plans to see each other in advance because it gives you something to look forward to. There is a thread on SDN called Relationship Center you should check out. Lots of people have done the whole long distance during vet school thing.

The distance is definitely hard. He came up for White Coat and Halloween and 2 weeks ago. I went down for Thanksgiving and a bit of winter break. We spent a while together over winter break, but this quarter has been super hard. He tries not to visit when I have tests and stuff, but this quarter is filled with tests. Next quarter will be better though! We skype and talk on the phone often. We will sometimes watch a show or a movie together. Sometimes we skype while we cook dinner, and then we eat together and talk. :) Those are the best. We've been long distance for most of our relationship. Out of the 2.5 years together, we've been long distance for 2 of them. We manage to make it work, and you eventually get used to it, but it is really hard. The vet school schedule + the time change with FL is rough sometimes. My SO is looking for jobs on the west coast because at least that will be much closer. Definitely talk about it. It really helps to have plans to see each other in advance because it gives you something to look forward to. There is a thread on SDN called Relationship Center you should check out. Lots of people have done the whole long distance during vet school thing.
That is great to hear! I am glad that you and many others have been able to make it work. It's very encouraging and makes me feel like the transition will be smoother than we both anticipated. Right now he lives across town, so we already Skype and watch movies together sometimes. Lol I was wondering about the time change, so I am glad you brought it up. Luckily he stays up really late most nights, so we'll probably have no trouble talking at night. :laugh:
I just went to that thread and will be watching it from now on. Thanks!

Also, I scheduled to meet with Tess Collins the day before Open Days. I'm currently coming up with questions to ask. If anyone has any general questions they would like answered, just let me know and I'll try to fit them into my list :)

Right now I am battling with whether I want to get a refund for my Animal Nutrition course or not since I will not be attending my IS since there is still time to back out (P.S. I get to keep the course materials regardless and will probably read them for fun) Hahahaha

I went to Open Day and was very pleased! Accepted my place in the class :)

Reactions: 3 users
Yay!! Thank you for letting us know how it went. And congratulations :biglove:

Yes, we do have a feeding program. Hill's is by far the least confusing to get products through, and we get a nice discount. Purina has changed the way they do things almost every year for 3 years, so I'm no sure exactly what the process is this year. Royal Canin ships to your home, which is nice. Oxbow only does school deliveries 1-2X per quarter, but they give a nice discount too.

Just received an email from Tess... so it looks like the class size will be 72. So exciting!! Ahhh I can't wait to visit the school. Can't focus in class right now lol

Reactions: 3 users

Congratulations!! We probably already saw each other at Open Day but excited to meet you in the fall! :)

Just curious, is anyone who applied at the APVMA conference? :)