Oregon State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I was thinking of having my boyfriend (of 4 years) move up to Oregon with me...but after reading Katas schedule I feel as though I wont have time for him lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I was thinking of having my boyfriend (of 4 years) move up to Oregon with me...but after reading Katas schedule I feel as though I wont have time for him lol

I feel the same (about whatever vet school I hopefully get into) but for a dog :p

Reactions: 2 users
Lots of people have their SOs here. I was surprised at how many people are married in my class. There are plenty that live with their SOs as well. 3 people in my class have children at home. So, family/SO life is definitely doable. Everyone learns differently. I still make time for my SO and he lives in Florida. He does visit once or twice per quarter, and we see each other on break. :) Also, study with friends! It makes studying better. It just takes me a while to learn stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same (about whatever vet school I hopefully get into) but for a dog :p

I'd love to take my dog with me but he's older and doesn't do well with change. He has some separation anxiety too so I figured he would be better with my family. He's my dog though, so it's going to be the hardest to leave him.

Lots of people have their SOs here. I was surprised at how many people are married in my class. There are plenty that live with their SOs as well. 3 people in my class have children at home. So, family/SO life is definitely doable. Everyone learns differently. I still make time for my SO and he lives in Florida. He does visit once or twice per quarter, and we see each other on break. :) Also, study with friends! It makes studying better. It just takes me a while to learn stuff.
It's really interesting to hear all of this. If I get in I'll be long distance with my husband, at least at first, and it's nice to know that others will most likely be dealing with something like that too.

Also, @katashark, want to second the thank you for all the detailed information. It is much appreciated and super helpful.

It's really interesting to hear all of this. If I get in I'll be long distance with my husband, at least at first, and it's nice to know that others will most likely be dealing with something like that too.
Yeah, there is a mixture in my class. Some people are long distance, but I think my SO is the farthest away. Most live in the state of Oregon, if not in Corvallis. :) It's definitely doable.

I officially accepted my spot for next fall!! Super exited but also super nervous!

Reactions: 6 users
@thatonegirl__ [QUOTE="Thank you! When are you supposed to hear back about your interview?[/QUOTE]

They said my mid-February for sure, but possibly earlier. I have to admit the wait is killing me. Crossing my fingers we'll be classmates this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input, Katashark! My SO and I are also from Florida and naturally we are worried about the distance, but your story makes me feel much more comfortable. I'm still waiting to hear back from two more schools, but definitely considering Oregon State :)

Reactions: 2 users
They said my mid-February for sure, but possibly earlier. I have to admit the wait is killing me. Crossing my fingers we'll be classmates this fall.

Ah, that's within the next two weeks though!! Keep us posted. :)

Last edited:
@thatonegirl__ [QUOTE="Thank you! When are you supposed to hear back about your interview?

They said my mid-February for sure, but possibly earlier. I have to admit the wait is killing me. Crossing my fingers we'll be classmates this fall.[/QUOTE]

Good luck to you! I will pray for you and send positive vibes!!!

I'd love to take my dog with me but he's older and doesn't do well with change. He has some separation anxiety too so I figured he would be better with my family. He's my dog though, so it's going to be the hardest to leave him.

Aww that'll be tough! I want to get a dog next year but I'm just not sure if I should yet! I might wait until the next summer.

Aww that'll be tough! I want to get a dog next year but I'm just not sure if I should yet! I might wait until the next summer.

Did you already accept your admissions into OSU? If so, CONGRATS!

Did you already accept your admissions into OSU? If so, CONGRATS!

Oh no I'm on the waitlist for OSU lol I just still lurk on this thread since I still have a chance to get in!

Reactions: 3 users

Seeing as I can't live without a furry creature, I'll most likely end up getting another dog as well but it will definitely be after I get settled in. Waiting until summer is probably the best bet! I'll miss my little guy though.

I'll probably see whoever is at the first open days! Possibly the 2nd (we have a neuro final exam that day, so we will see) :) I'll be helping out around at lunch time (12-1pm). :D See you then! Unfortunately, I'm out of town for the 3rd one, but there will be other nice people there, I promise.

I'll probably see whoever is at the first open days! Possibly the 2nd (we have a neuro final exam that day, so we will see) :) I'll be helping out around at lunch time (12-1pm). :D See you then! Unfortunately, I'm out of town for the 3rd one, but there will be other nice people there, I promise.

I'm going to the first day! As is @Platypus0417, I believe! Can't wait to say hi. :)

OMG!!!! Congrats. That's so exciting!!! You did it! @cowgirl92

Last edited:
Dumb California girl question ALERT hahaha:

I'm going to open day on the 24th. Will I need to bring chains? Lol

Thanks.

Dumb California girl question ALERT hahaha:

I'm going to open day on the 24th. Will I need to bring chains? Lol

Thanks.
Thank you very much!!

And if you are driving up from California on February 24th I would bring chains for the passes. Odds are good you won't need them, but it would suck to get stuck somewhere out by Weed or something because you don't have them. I know Les Schwab (if you have one by you) will let you buy a set of chains then return them if you don't use them. Cheap insurance.

Oh no I'm on the waitlist for OSU lol I just still lurk on this thread since I still have a chance to get in!
Good luck on getting pulled off the waitlist. Don't give up hope, sometimes it's pretty late in the year when they pull people off. In the senior class this year there is one girl who got the call a couple days before classes started.

Good luck on getting pulled off the waitlist. Don't give up hope, sometimes it's pretty late in the year when they pull people off. In the senior class this year there is one girl who got the call a couple days before classes started.
Thank you but I actually just heard back from Kansas State and I will be going there in the fall! So good luck to everyone else on the waitlist! :)

Does anyone know how many students they are accepting this year? I heard it's more then previous years.

Does anyone know how many students they are accepting this year? I heard it's more then previous years.
It is. I believe they added around 16 seats, for a total of 72. I could be slightly off on the numbers, but its right around that.

Just got the email this morining!! I'm in!!!!! So excited to meet you @thatonegirl__ @Platypus0417 and @katashark

How exciting!!! Congratulations! :) I can't wait to be classmates. Tess should be inviting you to the Facebook group soon.

As far as the chains things go, if my mother & I are just renting a car and driving from Portland, will we still need chains? I can't believe I'll be visiting in two weeks!

Congratulations!

You definitely do not need chains. If it happens to freeze, which it most likely will not, drive slowly/carefully. I don't have chains or snow tires. I do have 4WD which I don't use unless I'm off pavement somewhere. You'll be good. :)

Portland tends to be a bit colder, but you should still be fine. Just please be careful on the 5, and give yourselves time to get down here if the weather is bad. There's also the HUT shuttle from the airport as well. :) It leaves every 2 hours and can drop you off on campus or at the Hilton.

How exciting!!! Congratulations! :) I can't wait to be classmates. Tess should be inviting you to the Facebook group soon.

As far as the chains things go, if my mother & I are just renting a car and driving from Portland, will we still need chains? I can't believe I'll be visiting in two weeks!
I just joined the facebook group!! Thank you, I can't wait either, its nice to know someone already. And if you're just renting a car from Portland you won't need chains at all. It's a super easy freeway drive with no passes whatsoever! Enjoy your visit, it's a really pretty campus/area. I don't think I'll be around that weekend, but if that changes, I'll let you know.

But seriously, CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome!
raw

Congratulations!

You definitely do not need chains. If it happens to freeze, which it most likely will not, drive slowly/carefully. I don't have chains or snow tires. I do have 4WD which I don't use unless I'm off pavement somewhere. You'll be good. :)

Portland tends to be a bit colder, but you should still be fine. Just please be careful on the 5, and give yourselves time to get down here if the weather is bad. There's also the HUT shuttle from the airport as well. :) It leaves every 2 hours and can drop you off on campus or at the Hilton.
Good call, I always forget about the shuttle!

I just joined the facebook group!! Thank you, I can't wait either, its nice to know someone already. And if you're just renting a car from Portland you won't need chains at all. It's a super easy freeway drive with no passes whatsoever! Enjoy your visit, it's a really pretty campus/area. I don't think I'll be around that weekend, but if that changes, I'll let you know.

Our little class is filling up quicker than I thought it would! I'm really excited to visit. Okay though, sounds good! We were just a little concerned because neither of us have driven in areas like that before. Good to know it shouldn't be too bad! Yes, keep us posted if you'll be around, it would be fun to get together. :)

Good to know! I'm just a Southern Californian wimp haha. I'm familiar with the shuttle, I'll probably end up using it more often when I fly home etc. Since my mother is coming with, we figured it would just be easier to rent a car and then we can drive around the area a bit! I hope to scope out places to potentially live as well.

Good to know! I'm just a Southern Californian wimp haha. I'm familiar with the shuttle, I'll probably end up using it more often when I fly home etc. Since my mother is coming with, we figured it would just be easier to rent a car and then we can drive around the area a bit! I hope to scope out places to potentially live as well.
Oh definitely! The weather should be fine by then. :) Just rainy as usual. I'm from AZ, so I'm a huge bad weather wimp as well. Don't worry.

@cowgirl92 Which part of Oregon are you from?
Lol, kind of all over. I grew up on the south coast, but I've lived in Eastern Oregon for the last 14 years. And then I've been in Corvallis for almost a year finishing my prereqs. Which part of Northern California are you from? I have family around Eureka.

Lol, kind of all over. I grew up on the south coast, but I've lived in Eastern Oregon for the last 14 years. And then I've been in Corvallis for almost a year finishing my prereqs. Which part of Northern California are you from? I have family around Eureka.

I'm actually from Napa. Not too far. I believe it's an 8 hour drive! How do you like Corvallis? Any pros and cons?

I'm actually from Napa. Not too far. I believe it's an 8 hour drive! How do you like Corvallis? Any pros and cons?
It is SO pretty here in the spring and fall. Very rainy in the winter though, which I hate. I got used to snow. The campus is great, a really nice gym if you like to work out and there is lots of biking, hiking and other outdoorsy things very close by.

It is SO pretty here in the spring and fall. Very rainy in the winter though, which I hate. I got used to snow. The campus is great, a really nice gym if you like to work out and there is lots of biking, hiking and other outdoorsy things very close by.
Yeah the basic gym membership is included in tuition. so you can go whenever you'd like. It's nice but gets busy right after we get out of class. Lots of outdoorsy things to do as well! I really like it. But winter rain has got me down along with this quarter. You guys will make it though! :D It's so worth it!

Yeah the basic gym membership is included in tuition. so you can go whenever you'd like. It's nice but gets busy right after we get out of class. Lots of outdoorsy things to do as well! I really like it. But winter rain has got me down along with this quarter. You guys will make it though! :D It's so worth it!
You mentioned going to the gym before class, do you use Dixon or do you go elsewhere? I know they have some nice crossfit gyms and that kind of thing.

You mentioned going to the gym before class, do you use Dixon or do you go elsewhere? I know they have some nice crossfit gyms and that kind of thing.
I used to go to Dixon after class last quarter. There are a handful of people who go to Dixon regularly. Now I go to Orange Theory Fitness before school. I need their motivating trainers and I'm enjoying results. I used to go to OTF before moving to Oregon. It just opened here a few weeks ago. I haven't done crossfit, but at least 1 girl in my class goes after school almost every day and a 2nd year goes in the morning. :)

I used to go to Dixon after class last quarter. There are a handful of people who go to Dixon regularly. Now I go to Orange Theory Fitness before school. I need their motivating trainers and I'm enjoying results. I used to go to OTF before moving to Oregon. It just opened here a few weeks ago. I haven't done crossfit, but at least 1 girl in my class goes after school almost every day and a 2nd year goes in the morning. :)
I'll have to look into OTF, sounds interesting. I've used Dixon, but I was a little disappointed with their classes this term and I do better if I have a class time to be at.