Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if GI is similar to Cards around ranking time with programs reaching out (wether if bet a phone call or email) to let you know that they are ranking you to match basically or if there is less communication ?

I didn't get any, and I interviewed at a bunch of great places.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ultimately want to practice in the south, preferably Texas or Florida.
I do not know if I want to do academic or private practice, leaning academic but want to keep my options open.
I do not, yet, have any particular area of GI that I want to specialize in.
I would prefer to train in a large metropolitan city so my significant other can find a job.

I was hoping for advice on this ranking list:

Columbia University
Mayo Clinic in Rochester
Georgetown University
University of California, Irvine
Houston Methodist
University of Florida
University of Arizona
Scripps Clinic
Montefiore Medical Center

Reactions: 1 users
I do not know if I want to do academic or private practice, leaning academic but want to keep my options open.
I would prefer to train in a large metropolitan city so my significant other can find a job.

Columbia University
Mayo Clinic in Rochester
Georgetown University
Houston Methodist
University of Florida
University of Arizona
Scripps Clinic

I'm in the same boat, unsure if PP or academic but leaning academic right now. I would say rank Houston Methodist, University of Florida, University of Arizona at the top especially if you see yourself ending up in Texas or Florida; I didn't interview at any of these programs though so this is just based on what I know secondhand/you wanting to end up in Texas or Florida. Personally I am ranking Mayo low because I don't think that I will adequately prepared to be a good clinician from that program. I ranked Columbia in the middle because I didn't like it as much as some other places, but there are good job opportunities for my SO. I can't speak to UCI, Scripps, Montefiore.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Columbia University
Mayo Clinic in Rochester
Georgetown University
Houston Methodist
University of Florida
University of Arizona
Scripps Clinic
If you have a regional preference, train where you plan to live and work. You might get connections you would not otherwise.

Couple of questions for the group.

What is the general consensus today about the prestige of GI fellowships and finding jobs? If we end up not matching in the geographical location we want to settle down in would it be very difficult to try to get a job in a different region of the country?

It is also difficult to assess the prestige for GI fellowships. If the goal is Community GI, are we still better off ranking places with a fancy undergrad name (ie Yale, Brown, Dartmouth) to have a better shot at landing a job? Certainly employers know that the training experience does not = the name of the affiliated undergrad right? Would doing colonoscopies on a bunch of New Haven-er's or rural caucasian New Hampshire citizens really make a fellow more marketable if they want to practice in say, Seattle or San Diego?

What is the general consensus today about the prestige of GI fellowships and finding jobs? If we end up not matching in the geographical location we want to settle down in would it be very difficult to try to get a job in a different region of the country?

It is also difficult to assess the prestige for GI fellowships. If the goal is Community GI, are we still better off ranking places with a fancy undergrad name (ie Yale, Brown, Dartmouth) to have a better shot at landing a job? Certainly employers know that the training experience does not = the name of the affiliated undergrad right? Would doing colonoscopies on a bunch of New Haven-er's or rural caucasian New Hampshire citizens really make a fellow more marketable if they want to practice in say, Seattle or San Diego?
Prestige matters in academics so that you can say that you trained under and did research with so and so. My impression is beyond that nobody cares.

Prestige matters in academics so that you can say that you trained under and did research with so and so. My impression is beyond that nobody cares.

So by that logic would it be crazy then to rank a place like Scripps or Brooklyn Hospital over a place like Yale simply because you don't care to live in New Haven? Will this have no impact on the ability to find a community GI job anywhere in the US?

So by that logic would it be crazy then to rank a place like Scripps or Brooklyn Hospital over a place like Yale simply because you don't care to live in New Haven? Will this have no impact on the ability to find a community GI job anywhere in the US?
Not crazy at all. Academics is all ego and show. If you’re not into that then go where you want and you’ll be just as good. Look at the program itself and what they have to offer. If region is important then try to stay regionally.

My impression is that it is better to go to the place with better clinical training. Yale is not giving you advanced procedures, at some community programs the graduates usually get 200-300+ ERCPs. Some PP jobs require ERCP training. However, some community places also don't have enough volume. I'd look to see where graduates go because it is program dependent.

But I think it is easier to stay in your training region then leave. One of my family members is in PP (large practice, metropolitan area) and prefers graduates of local programs regardless of prestige over other places because they're less likely to leave and more likely to pursue partnership track.

Also with the coming election visa status may play a larger role in finding a position.

Not crazy at all. Academics is all ego and show. If you’re not into that then go where you want and you’ll be just as good. Look at the program itself and what they have to offer. If region is important then try to stay regionally.

Rank however you want and where ever you want to match. I know people who ranked Mayo 3rd, Harvard 4th, and they matched to their number 1 which was their home program and not a big name and from the same program residents matched to Harvard, Yale, NYU and Baylor so is all about where you want to go

Members don't see this ad :)
My concern is that going to a community program absolutely shuts doors on academia, where as training at an academic program does not prevent you from going into private practice.

While a program like Mayo may not provide a clinically heavy curriculum, you can always improve your clinical skills after fellowship (even a GI fellow at the most clinically intensive program will improve their scoping skills after fellowship). On the contrary, training at a very clinical community program will most likely forever prevent you from doing high impact research or obtaining academic medicine jobs.

Furthermore, the prestigious academic programs seem to want to actually teach and train you to become a gastroenterologist, where as many of these community programs appear to be looking for nothing more than cheap labor. Some of the GI community programs out there are nothing more than an extension of a group practice with the attendings seemingly doing nothing academic.

For me, this is why I would rank prestigious programs like Mayo and Columbia above all else. The difficulty comes when you trying to rank programs that all seem fairly reasonably close in prestige, academics, etc.

No regional preference. Prefer academics and clinical>bench research. Want therapeutics exposure and mentorship but good foundation in all fields. Many of the choices appear similar, how should I rank:

Northwestern
UChicago
Michigan
Baylor Houston
Boston Univ
UAB
Emory
Colorado
Utah
MUSC
USF
UNC
Miami
Case Western-UH
Louisville
Wake Forest
Rutgers RWJ
NYU

My impression is that it is better to go to the place with better clinical training. Yale is not giving you advanced procedures, at some community programs the graduates usually get 200-300+ ERCPs. Some PP jobs require ERCP training. However, some community places also don't have enough volume. I'd look to see where graduates go because it is program dependent.

But I think it is easier to stay in your training region then leave. One of my family members is in PP (large practice, metropolitan area) and prefers graduates of local programs regardless of prestige over other places because they're less likely to leave and more likely to pursue partnership track.

Also with the coming election visa status may play a larger role in finding a position.

I think your definition of "better" clinical training is different than many here. My understanding is that there are few to no academic places where you can do enough advanced procedures to be proficient, but maybe it's possible to do this at community programs - I wouldn't know.

If you want volume of procedures, then yes, you should definitely stay away from all these research intensive programs, because you will be unhappy and they aren't geared towards training community docs. And also yes, whether private practice or academia, there is regional bias everywhere, and that stems from a number of reasons.

However, I find it laughable to drop a blanket statement that the clinical training at community program X or solid university program Y is "better" than training at major quaternary medical centers like Mayo, Yale, Columbia etc...

From what you have written here, you probably would not be happy at these places, and shouldn't go to them, mostly because you don't sound like someone who actually wants to have anything to do with academia.

Anyways, that's just my two cents.

We are so used to thinking we have to go to the “best” college to get into the “best” medical school to go to the “best” residency so we can go to the “best” fellowship. My argument is that you have to ask yourself ‘why?’ for the last part. At this point go to where it will help your career goals be it research/academics, case volume, exposure, or region. Becoming a great doc has everything to do with you and little to do with the prestige of the program. If your goal is academic then you can still do one of these 4th years and do research under these famous people. Getting to prestigious 4th years is relatively easy even from non-prestigious fellowships. Heck, even doing General GI is not hard to find at prestigious institutions as an attending if that’s what you want. Just be true to yourself and your goals.

Reactions: 6 users
My concern is that going to a community program absolutely shuts doors on academia, where as training at an academic program does not prevent you from going into private practice.

While a program like Mayo may not provide a clinically heavy curriculum, you can always improve your clinical skills after fellowship (even a GI fellow at the most clinically intensive program will improve their scoping skills after fellowship). On the contrary, training at a very clinical community program will most likely forever prevent you from doing high impact research or obtaining academic medicine jobs.

Furthermore, the prestigious academic programs seem to want to actually teach and train you to become a gastroenterologist, where as many of these community programs appear to be looking for nothing more than cheap labor. Some of the GI community programs out there are nothing more than an extension of a group practice with the attendings seemingly doing nothing academic.

For me, this is why I would rank prestigious programs like Mayo and Columbia above all else. The difficulty comes when you trying to rank programs that all seem fairly reasonably close in prestige, academics, etc.

Rank like this:

1.Indiana
2.Kanssas
3.Yale
4.Harvard
5.Mayo
6.Columbia
7.NYU
8. Florida
9. Penn
10. Florida

We are so used to thinking we have to go to the “best” college to get into the “best” medical school to go to the “best” residency so we can go to the “best” fellowship. My argument is that you have to ask yourself ‘why?’ for the last part. At this point go to where it will help your career goals be it research/academics, case volume, exposure, or region. Becoming a great doc has everything to do with you and little to do with the prestige of the program. If your goal is academic then you can still do one of these 4th years and do research under these famous people. Getting to prestigious 4th years is relatively easy even from non-prestigious fellowships. Heck, even doing General GI is not hard to find at prestigious institutions as an attending if that’s what you want. Just be true to yourself and your goals.

well said

No regional preference. Prefer academics and clinical>bench research. Want therapeutics exposure and mentorship but good foundation in all fields. Many of the choices appear similar, how should I rank:

Northwestern
UChicago
Michigan
Baylor Houston
Boston Univ
UAB
Emory
Colorado
Utah
MUSC
USF
UNC
Miami
Case Western-UH
Louisville
Wake Forest
Rutgers RWJ
NYU

1. Northwestern with King JP
2.UAB with the inventors
3.NYU strong
4. Rutgers tough
5. MUSC proud

you wont pass your number 2

Does anyone know anything about Prisma Health in South Carolina. Haven’t interviewed with them yet, and information on their website is scant.

Does anyone know anything about Prisma Health in South Carolina. Haven’t interviewed with them yet, and information on their website is scant.
private practice of many years with residency programs. new GI fellowship. typical PP with focus on RVUs, so your best guess is as good as mine, as far as teaching quality. should be procedure heavy though

Anyone have any input about:
  1. Thomas Jefferson University
  2. University of Mississippi Medical Center
  3. Albany Medical College

Has anyone heard back from any of the non-acgme hepatology fellowships? I hear they tend to interview in November

This is on point. Even from non-prestigious, even community fellowships you can get into a 4th year, if you wanted to get 'back into' academics. Otherwise, if you want to go to PP you are set with clinical training. Honestly, non-prestigious programs are THE way to go for GI for many people unless they're dead set on getting a K award or something. the key is to take a small leap or faith that going 'down' in program reputation is actually going 'up' in your career.

I think your definition of "better" clinical training is different than many here. My understanding is that there are few to no academic places where you can do enough advanced procedures to be proficient, but maybe it's possible to do this at community programs - I wouldn't know.

If you want volume of procedures, then yes, you should definitely stay away from all these research intensive programs, because you will be unhappy and they aren't geared towards training community docs. And also yes, whether private practice or academia, there is regional bias everywhere, and that stems from a number of reasons.

However, I find it laughable to drop a blanket statement that the clinical training at community program X or solid university program Y is "better" than training at major quaternary medical centers like Mayo, Yale, Columbia etc...

From what you have written here, you probably would not be happy at these places, and shouldn't go to them, mostly because you don't sound like someone who actually wants to have anything to do with academia.

Anyways, that's just my two cents.

I am an applicant but also this is sort of a family business my extended family member is a PD for a medium sized academic program and my father is in PP. My father said he wouldn't want to hire me if I had minimum scoping experience and wasn't ERCP certified (a lot of PP share call and that includes ERCP). Their practice hires locally and prefers community graduates. You're right, after what I heard on interview days I likely won't go to a hyper-academic place. I kept my options open so I interviewed at a variety of places. I like research but I prefer clinical work much more. I think training pushes us towards academics, but private practice is a very viable option and the majority of us will end up in a more clinical setting with conducting research being a minor to non-existent part of our careers.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have any input about:
  1. Thomas Jefferson University
  2. University of Mississippi Medical Center
  3. Albany Medical College

1. TJU (Strong endoscopy and therapeutics - their advance is awesome) very well rounded
2. Albany is good training you will be a very well rounded
3. UMMC - One of the newly rejuvenated programs. look into placement of fellows out of fellowship and also see why their physicians leave after 1-2 years of starting (maybe salary) (maybe something else)

No geographic preferences, focus on clinical research / academics in future.

Emory, Indiana, USC, Miami/Jackson, Temple, Scripps, UMass, Nebraska, Houston Methodist.

Any input on these programs and how would ya'll rank?

Definitely agree

My question is if we are not fortunate to get interviews at places we would like to eventually move to, does a place like Yale or Brown hold more weight for a General GI/community/PP position than a community GI program that may not be known as well for a particular region?

For example, if someone wanted to eventually move to Miami or Chicago, had no interest in academics/research, would choosing a program like Kaiser/Scripps put them at a disadvantage for community GI/PP jobs vs choosing a place like Brown or Yale and dealing with academia for 3 more years?

everyone keeps putting the tag line at the bottom of “if you want a region, pick that region” but this is not an option for fellowship a lot of the time. Does choosing a community program in a region of the country lock you into that region if the program isn’t well known outside of that city?

My question is if we are not fortunate to get interviews at places we would like to eventually move to, does a place like Yale or Brown hold more weight for a General GI/community/PP position than a community GI program that may not be known as well for a particular region?

For example, if someone wanted to eventually move to Miami or Chicago, had no interest in academics/research, would choosing a program like Kaiser/Scripps put them at a disadvantage for community GI/PP jobs vs choosing a place like Brown or Yale and dealing with academia for 3 more years?

everyone keeps putting the tag line at the bottom of “if you want a region, pick that region” but this is not an option for fellowship a lot of the time. Does choosing a community program in a region of the country lock you into that region if the program isn’t well known outside of that city?
I would say no. priority is going to the best place to get you trained. you'll be able to find a job wherever you want. i disagree with this PP prefers local people thing. if you think training betweer at K/S then do that over brown or yale.

What are people’s thoughts on Columbia vs. Mayo vs. Stanford? I want a career in academics, and I can move anywhere.

No geographic preferences, focus on clinical research / academics in future.

Emory, Indiana, USC, Miami/Jackson, Temple, Scripps, UMass, Nebraska, Houston Methodist.

Any input on these programs and how would ya'll rank?

1. Temple
2. Indiana
3. USC
4. Nebraska

*~POSTING FOR A FRIEND WITHOUT AN APPROVED ACCOUNT~*

My thoughts:
  • I've heard rumors that stanford grads are not competent clinicians, but they strongly told me otherwise on interview day (basically you can tailor how clinical your training is based on interests, and many fellows are interested in doing other things).
  • I can't get a great sense for how hard it is to stay at one Kaiser's main "academic" locations vs going to a community practice, otherwise this might be a good fit.
  • UCLA possibly to academic, but would probably get my foot in the door anywhere for jobs.
  • My sense is UCI probably has the most rigorous clinical training, scope number wise + options for ERCP #s but I'm less excited about orange county than other big cities on the west coast.

The rumors are not real Stanford grads are awesome and well trained

Hi, M2 here who just realized they want to do GI. Can someone give me some detailed steps on what i can do now to maximize my chances for GI fellowship. Thank you!

Hi, M2 here who just realized they want to do GI. Can someone give me some detailed steps on what i can do now to maximize my chances for GI fellowship. Thank you!

Step 1: Work hard
Step 2: Suck up
Step 3: Be a gunner, but don’t act like one
Step 4: Work Harder
????
Dive in the money Scrooge McDuck style

Reactions: 3 users

The crappy part about this thread is how few spots there are and everyone's vying for the limited amount of space and fellowship, at the end of it you get to enjoy a pretty decent labor market as a result of limited amount of graduates each year, and while the major megalopolis' are saturated the rest of the country is wide open and underserved and community practices would gladly take any board elgilble warm body with a pulse let alone ivy league grad

Reactions: 2 users
The crappy part about this thread is how few spots there are and everyone's vying for the limited amount of space and fellowship, at the end of it you get to enjoy a pretty decent labor market as a result of limited amount of graduates each year, and while the major megalopolis' are saturated the rest of the country is wide open and underserved and community practices would gladly take any board elgilble warm body with a pulse let alone ivy league grad

They need so many GIs in all 3 divisions:

In rural areas
In Uran area
In Suburban areas

Can I hear people's perspectives on UChicago, UPMC, and UNC? Primarily looking for strong clinical training but still with opportunities for research. Undecided on subspecialty so I'm interested in a program with decent strength across subspecialties.

Step 1: Work hard
Step 2: Suck up
Step 3: Be a gunner, but don’t act like one
Step 4: Work Harder
????
Dive in the money Scrooge McDuck style
Haha thank you for the advice. Anyone else have any specifics? Things you wish you'd known or things you would have done that would have helped you now at this point of applying for fellowship?

Anyone have any thoughts on Louisville, University of Kentucky, and Cincinnati?

Northwestern
UChicago
Michigan
Baylor Houston
Boston Univ
UAB
Emory
Colorado
Utah
MUSC
USF
UNC
Miami
Case Western-UH
Louisville
Wake Forest
Rutgers RWJ
NYU

I think how competitive is a program is determined by strong academics + nice city to live, Mayo MN is probably the program with the largest number of big names, but Who wants to move to Rochester, MN? that is why its actually relatively easy to match there, check their fellows, many IMGs and from average IM programs......its more competitive to match in the big academic centers in the large cities...

Based on that your top programs are Northwestern, NYU and Baylor Houston (all clinically strong with training in more than 1 health system, with big names, research $$$ and academia, also in large diverse cities.

Some other comments
Michigan: Very very strong academic program, but Ann arbor not that exciting
U chicago: the training in only one hospital system vs other academic places that are affiliated to VA or county is a weakness, and everybody knows they are not the #1 in chicago is NW.
Boston univ: Baylor Houston just recruited their Chairman (Roy)....
UAB, colorado and Utah: Probably in the same tier
UNC: strong!!, above the 3 prior programs
Emory: Last year they went unmatched, and scramble 1 position....but Atlanta nicer city to live than Ann arbor or Rochester MN.
Case western-UH: is broke!, and many faculty have left in all fields! they lost their exclusive affiliation with the medschool and had to change the name of the hospital, cleveland clinic just built the new CWRU medschool, where the first presidential debate was held...
USF > U miami in Florida, but Florida does not have the strong institutions of Texas for example (UTSW, MD anderson, Baylor, Texas Children's) or California or North Carolina..etc, etc...
At the end of the list in not particular order: MUSC, Louisville, Wake Forest, Rutgers RWJ

Reactions: 5 users
I think how competitive is a program is determined by strong academics + nice city to live, Mayo MN is probably the program with the largest number of big names, but Who wants to move to Rochester, MN? that is why its actually relatively easy to match there, check their fellows, many IMGs and from average IM programs......its more competitive to match in the big academic centers in the large cities...

Based on that your top programs are Northwestern, NYU and Baylor Houston (all clinically strong with training in more than 1 health system, with big names, research $$$ and academia, also in large diverse cities.

Some other comments
U chicago: the training in only one hospital system vs other academic places that are affiliated to VA or county is a weakness, and everybody knows they are not the #1 in chicago is NW.
Emory: Last year they went unmatched, and scramble 1 position....but Atlanta nicer city to live than Ann arbor or Rochester MN.
Case western-UH: is broke!, and many faculty have left in all fields! they lost their exclusive affiliation with the medschool and had to change the name of the hospital, cleveland clinic just built the new CWRU medschool, where the first presidential debate was held...
USF > U miami in Florida, but Florida does not have the strong institutions of Texas for example (UTSW, MD anderson, Baylor, Texas Children's) or California or North Carolina..etc, etc...
At the end of the list in not particular order: MUSC, Louisville, Wake Forest, Rutgers RWJ

You seem to have some great insights into programs! Would really appreciate any thoughts on the following-

University of Maryland
University of Minnesota
University of Alabama
University of Illinois, Chicago
University of Florida, Gainesville
Mayo Clinic, Arizona
Medical College of Wisconsin

Haha thank you for the advice. Anyone else have any specifics? Things you wish you'd known or things you would have done that would have helped you now at this point of applying for fellowship?

1. If you're going to do research in medical school, do GI research. A 5-year lead time should ensure you have a pub on your CV by fellowship application.
2. Big name IM residency will take you far
3. Definitely avoid an IM program without an in house fellowship.
4. Keep your mind open in residency - your interests may change.

Some other comments
Seems like you have great insight into a lot of programs, I can confirm for some of these places.

Any info/thoughts on the following?
Indiana
Temple
USC
U Miami
Emory
UMass
Nebraska
Scripps