Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everybody,

First off huge congratulations to everybody that matched! Now looking forward to next year I was hoping to see what are my chances/things I can do over the next 6 months to improve them?

US-IMG (Caribbean)
Mid-tier University Program - Upcoming 4th year chief year
Step 1 - 243
Step 2 - 257, CK First attempt
Step 3 - 234
Posters - 20 overall (10 ACG/DDW/AASLD-6 first author & 10 local ACP-6 first author)
Publications - 9 - 6 case reports (3 first author), 3 original (2 first author in high impact journals)
A few residency awards and committees (not sure how much this matters)

I know that my limiting factor is my medical school but want to know how much that will really affect me.
Chief year should help it still not matched do Hep. Unless where you doing your Chief year promised you a spot for GI you should of done Hep.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone recommend a good, introductory book to start reading now before fellowship starts? Nothing too crazy or in depth.

Anyone recommend a good, introductory book to start reading now before fellowship starts? Nothing too crazy or in depth.

19D789AF-1D11-4612-8DF4-FBEF5B27FA61.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I started reading for my Boards FIRST (UNO) and once I did the Board Review, I ordered the Book "Clinical Gastroenterology and endoscopy" and JOINED ALL SOCIETIES and started reading and understanding about the importance of each society and their mission for our education.

AGA
ACG
AASLD
ANMS
CLFD
ASGE

I started reading for my Boards FIRST (UNO) and once I did the Board Review, I ordered the Book "Clinical Gastroenterology and endoscopy" and JOINED ALL SOCIETIES and started reading and understanding about the importance of each society and their mission for our education.

AGA
ACG
AASLD
ANMS
CLFD
ASGE
How much did it cost to join all of those societies? Unfortunately my IM program won’t dish out $$ for this or for the IM boards.

How much did it cost to join all of those societies? Unfortunately my IM program won’t dish out $$ for this or for the IM boards.
The major ones a general fellow would care about like acg aga and asge are already deeply discounted trainee rate already like 75 bucks for three years your new fellowship program might pay for that and if your gonna keep submitting abstracts to acg or ddw it's a small penny if that's what it eventually takes to meet your fellowship "scholarly" requirement to graduate

The major ones a general fellow would care about like acg aga and asge are already deeply discounted trainee rate already like 75 bucks for three years your new fellowship program might pay for that and if your gonna keep submitting abstracts to acg or ddw it's a small penny if that's what it eventually takes to meet your fellowship "scholarly" requirement to graduate

Exactly like chessmaster said, But always fight for your board exam review reimbursement. The exam fee the program cant hit to taxes, is like weird. but if used for training they can do anything. I think when I did my IM residency it was 1500$ CME plus cost of Board Review for third year, YES THEY CAN CARRY OVER CME

Hey everybody,

First off huge congratulations to everybody that matched! Now looking forward to next year I was hoping to see what are my chances/things I can do over the next 6 months to improve them?

US-IMG (Caribbean)
Mid-tier University Program - Upcoming 4th year chief year
Step 1 - 243
Step 2 - 257, CK First attempt
Step 3 - 234
Posters - 20 overall (10 ACG/DDW/AASLD-6 first author & 10 local ACP-6 first author)
Publications - 9 - 6 case reports (3 first author), 3 original (2 first author in high impact journals)
A few residency awards and committees (not sure how much this matters)

I know that my limiting factor is my medical school but want to know how much that will really affect me.
Apply broadly, have strong letters, and be likable on your interviews. You should not have a big problem matching.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who did not match:

I hear Charleston Area medical center in Charleston WV and also Marshall University is/are both starting a GI fellowship.

- Do not have any more info, but I believe one is taking or interviewing applicants for this summer and both will be on ERAS next cycle to apply for.

Contact the Chief's of Gastroenterology department and chair of medicine's ASAP if you are interested. If your a Hepatology Fellow this year, this can be an awesome experience. If you need more info: contact them via email (the Gastroenterology department)

Last edited:
Is it too early to start a thread about 2021 match? Just curious to see if it's even worth applying. Stats as follows:
US IMG
Mid tier program

Step 1 - 248
Step 2 CK - 246
Step 3 - 242

Publications - 8 abstracts (mostly 2nd and 3rd author ACG/DDW/AASLD/IDWeek) and 2 retrospectives (1st author on one and 2nd author on the other - both pubmed indexed).

Hi everyone! Asking for a friend, if anyone has any information on the GI program at UC Riverside. It seems like maybe the program was on probation for the most recent ERAS cycle but they just sent out info that they are interviewing for 2-R4 and 1-R5 spot for the fellowship to start this July. Specifically wondering what the issues with the fellowship had been prior? Think I had heard vaguely things about lack of procedural volume and work hour violations.

Hi everyone! Asking for a friend, if anyone has any information on the GI program at UC Riverside. It seems like maybe the program was on probation for the most recent ERAS cycle but they just sent out info that they are interviewing for 2-R4 and 1-R5 spot for the fellowship to start this July. Specifically wondering what the issues with the fellowship had been prior? Think I had heard vaguely things about lack of procedural volume and work hour violations.

From what I hear they got like an expansion, but this is type of opening programs should have a listing on the ACGME site , Correct ? that's 3 positions, there is nothing wrong with the program [do not think in this line]

is this opening on ACGME site Vacancies ?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear they got like an expansion, but this is type of opening programs should have a listing on the ACGME site , Correct ? that's 3 positions, there is nothing wrong with the program [do not think in this line]

is this opening on ACGME site Vacancies ?

Found out about it thru APDIM. So by expansion do you mean that they just received confirmation for additional spots/approval of funding sometime after the match and that is why they are now offering?

Attachments

• DEDD0970-B749-47AB-9DEE-EF06EF7B65CC.jpeg
    DEDD0970-B749-47AB-9DEE-EF06EF7B65CC.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 158
Heard about the procedure volume issue but not the work hour violation. Unless a program is an academic powerhouse isn’t a procedure volume issue a big deal for a specialty like GI? What would the program then have to offer?

Found out about it thru APDIM. So by expansion do you mean that they just received confirmation for additional spots/approval of funding sometime after the match and that is why they are now offering?
additional funding

Has anyone heard back from uc riverside? I applied a few weeks ago and have not heard back. I've called multiple times with no answer.

Nope.... seems like they have quietly filled and not responding anymore

I have a question concerning research. How does non-GI research activity affect applications?

I did a research year in a surgical specialty during med school. Now I am a PGY 1 IM resident starting a GI research project. Not sure how many papers I'll get during residency, but does my past research in surgery (many first author papers and 1 basic science non-first author in nature) raise a concern for my commitment to GI research?

I have a question concerning research. How does non-GI research activity affect applications?

I did a research year in a surgical specialty during med school. Now I am a PGY 1 IM resident starting a GI research project. Not sure how many papers I'll get during residency, but does my past research in surgery (many first author papers and 1 basic science non-first author in nature) raise a concern for my commitment to GI research?

No

No regional preference. Prefer academics and clinical>bench research. Want therapeutics exposure and mentorship but good foundation in all fields. Many of the choices appear similar, how should I rank:

Northwestern
UChicago
Michigan
Baylor Houston
Boston Univ
UAB
Emory
Colorado
Utah
MUSC
USF
UNC
Miami
Case Western-UH
Louisville
Wake Forest
Rutgers RWJ
NYU
Hi @SeldingerTechneek
Just going over last year's posts and came across this list. I have kind of similar preferences and have 3-4 choices from your list and wanted to discuss how you ended up deciding one over the other from those 4 (I have a family situation that complicates the ranking and wanted to see how you decided on one over another otherwise). Will really appreciate it if you could start a conversation with me because seems like I cannot initiate a DM to you. Thanks!

Well I was the chief resident so I know a few concrete things about her: step score, performance in residency. I did not look those things up for the purpose of comparison. They were brought up in a prior meeting where we placed her on academic probation briefly. Her pub is like 1/3 of mine, barely. I don't want to be anymore specific but the huge disparity between the two apps is real and verifiable.

I did end up matching at a stronger academic place so it is all good but seriously wonder how that program justified ranking her higher than me :) What did they say in the rank meeting exactly? "Let's rank her higher than Fatty because...."Also, I could have gone unmatched this year. If that were the case, I would have been even more disappointed.

If her matching was indeed due to some sort of diversity, representation crap then it is fully misguided in this particular case because the spot could have gone to someone else who is more deserving.

A close friend from my home program also applied and matched thought told me that was the case but I initially did not quite believe that.

Dear Fatty Slug- I know who you are. I'm the Persian girl who apparently matched to GI fellowship for my looks? (awesome, glad I'm hot). I was actually following this post in real time back in the day. I didn't say anything because I felt bad you didn't match, you definitely didn't deserve your hand. There are a few things that were not true from your thread (I was never placed on probation or at least I was NEVER told there were any performance issues, I speak an even MORE common language in the place you wanted to match (Spanish > SE Asian language...) I have some other circulars that you weren't aware of. It's true that I didn't have a zillion publications and my step 1 was score was less than stellar, but just FYI I've been doing just fine, I think the program is very happy I matched with them.

I asked around why they didn't match you despite interviewing you twice. I was told that the program coordinator said you were rude to her. That is why. Which sucks, cause we did residency together and I know you're cool (except the things you said to me on SDN, definitely not cool).

I accepted a job in the area of the country where you ended up doing your fellowship. It's actually a really nice part of the world, my husband is from there and we have a baby now. I don't know what your plans are for next year, but it would be nice to be friends and hang out and stuff if you decide to stick around.

Dear Fatty Slug- I know who you are. I'm the Persian girl who apparently matched to GI fellowship for my looks? (awesome, glad I'm hot). I was actually following this post in real time back in the day. I didn't say anything because I felt bad you didn't match, you definitely didn't deserve your hand. There are a few things that were not true from your thread (I was never placed on probation or at least I was NEVER told there were any performance issues, I speak an even MORE common language in the place you wanted to match (Spanish > SE Asian language...) I have some other circulars that you weren't aware of. It's true that I didn't have a zillion publications and my step 1 was score was less than stellar, but just FYI I've been doing just fine, I think the program is very happy I matched with them.

I asked around why they didn't match you despite interviewing you twice. I was told that the program coordinator said you were rude to her. That is why. Which sucks, cause we did residency together and I know you're cool (except the things you said to me on SDN, definitely not cool).

I accepted a job in the area of the country where you ended up doing your fellowship. It's actually a really nice part of the world, my husband is from there and we have a baby now. I don't know what your plans are for next year, but it would be nice to be friends and hang out and stuff if you decide to stick around.
Yikes... Necrobump, but goes to show Middle Easterners can hold those grudges for a long time. Her grandchildren will remember how you insulted her on SDN.