Official 2022-2023 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slopes23

Parlors & Poop Shoots
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Hello! Its feeling like that time of year, once again. I'll be applying for the first time with the rest of you and figured now is as good of a time as any to give the people what they want.

Feel free to post your stats and the inevitable
"what are my chances" questions as well as info on programs, interviews the gambit. I'm posting last years excel sheet, but think we should make a concerted effort to update it this year to increase the sample size.

Best of luck to all of you.

CURRENT {2022-23) GI Cycle App Spreadsheet

LAST YEAR'S (2021-22) GI Cycle App Spreadsheet

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Are interviews online or
In person. Please tell me online because **** in person

I think its still TBD, latest guidance I have heard is that it could go either way but that most porgrams are going to choose one way or the other since a hybrid approach could introduce bias. I'm in the opposite boat as you, I hope they scrap virtual interviews, as they tend to be a crappy experience overall and tough to gauge a lot of important factors.

If I were a program, I think there are a lot of non-verbal cues you miss out on in virtual interviews too making it harder to accurately rank candidates. But I am biased as I am generally a fairly social person and prefer in person interactions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for making the thread! I've made a sheet for this year based on previous ones. Not sure if you can edit and place in your first comment:

2022-2023 Gastroenterology Fellowship Apps

I'm torn on the in-person or virtual; don't know how people afford to fly and make time in a busy schedule for cross-country flights, but would much rather experience an institution and culture in person.

Thanks for making the thread! I've made a sheet for this year based on previous ones. Not sure if you can edit and place in your first comment:

2022-2023 Gastroenterology Fellowship Apps

I'm torn on the in-person or virtual; don't know how people afford to fly and make time in a busy schedule for cross-country flights, but would much rather experience an institution and culture in person.
Agree its definitely a financial burden, some programs help ease this by provided discounted rates for hotels, or just pay for them outright which can help significantly. That said, its a financial problem that has been ongoing for decades. I think it also helps people be a little more thoughtful with how many interviews they go to instead of some people attending 29 interviews like I saw on the spreadsheet which is insane. Lastly, I'd rather be out a the extra cash and be happy with the places I rank and know what I am getting into than leave my choices to whichever program spent more money creating a better virtual experience on interview day, an experience which may or may not replicate the actual vibe and feel of the program accurately, or not.

Tl; dr - I agree the financial burden sucks, but the burden of not knowing the reality on the ground of program culture, facilities, and surrounding city come time to rank is a bigger cost, in my eyes

Last edited:
Good luck everyone!!! :):):) Good vibes only. I was in your shoes around this time last year. Things will work out in the end-- believe in yourself and your hard work! :thumbup:

a few programs already announced they're doing virtual, like a few of the texas programs.

Anybody have a list of only virtual interviews? My program won't give us any time off, will try to get night shifts and only do virtual interviews this season

Anybody have a list of only virtual interviews? My program won't give us any time off, will try to get night shifts and only do virtual interviews this season
Woof, thats rough. Sounds like your program doesn't prioritize people matching for fellowship, which is unfortunate.

I am aware of no such list however, nothing to say we can't start our own list of in person and virtual interviews as they become known in the spreadsheet linked up top.

For GI. How many programs should I apply to?
USMD
250+ steps.
Mid tier IM academc program.
1 case report published
1 case report under reiew
1 abstract DDW
1 large retrospective paper under review
1 QI project
3 GI LORs (hopefully decent to good)

All GI-related.

Last edited:
Hello Hello! Its feeling like that time of year, once again. I'll be applying for the first time with the rest of you and figured now is as good of a time as any to give the people what they want.

Feel free to post your stats and the inevitable
"what are my chances" questions as well as info on programs, interviews the gambit. I'm posting last years excel sheet, but think we should make a concerted effort to update it this year to increase the sample size.

Best of luck to all of you.

CURRENT GI {2022-23) Cycle App Spreadsheet

LAST YEAR'S (2021-22) GI Cycle App Spreadsheet
Thank you for starting this thread! Last year’s spreadsheet is unfortunately this year’s spreadsheet. Any link to last year’s spreadsheet?

Good luck with your application!!! (I’m applying next year)

Any DOs have any recommendations, tips, or tricks from last year? First time applicant from a university affiliated community program. Two national oral presentations - DDW and ACG (one first author), one paper published (not 1st author), one paper submitted but not yet accepted for pub (1st author), four abstracts presented as posters for retrospective studies (DDW and regional conferences), several case reports at national and local levels - all above GI based with some additional random case reports. One peer reviewed pub for non-GI paper (not 1st author). Only have COMLEX for step 3 but scored well (600), step exams 230s. Chief resident this year. I know it will be an uphill battle this year - appreciate the help!

Any DOs have any recommendations, tips, or tricks from last year? First time applicant from a university affiliated community program. Two national oral presentations - DDW and ACG (one first author), one paper published (not 1st author), one paper submitted but not yet accepted for pub (1st author), four abstracts presented as posters for retrospective studies (DDW and regional conferences), several case reports at national and local levels - all above GI based with some additional random case reports. One peer reviewed pub for non-GI paper (not 1st author). Only have COMLEX for step 3 but scored well (600), step exams 230s. Chief resident this year. I know it will be an uphill battle this year - appreciate the help!
did u apply as a PGY3 resident last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for starting this thread! Last year’s spreadsheet is unfortunately this year’s spreadsheet. Any link to last year’s spreadsheet?

Good luck with your application!!! (I’m applying next year)
Apologies, try it now.

Last edited:
can anyone respond to my post?

For GI. How many programs should I apply to?
USMD
250+ steps.
Mid tier IM academc program.
1 case report published
1 case report under reiew
1 abstract DDW
1 large retrospective paper under review
1 QI project
3 GI LORs (hopefully decent to good)

All GI-related.
as many as you can

Apply broadly, you cannot be as picky as your MD counterparts. Apply to all old AOA now ACGME programs. Have strong letters. Keep doing research and find a nice you are interested in.

so 200?? i mean seriously where do I stand
Even though I am not as experienced as other members in this forum my opinion is that as a USMD with scores >250 and some research showing your true interest your chances of matching are very high

Last edited:
You are a USMD and strong stats but research output is OK. Just apply to your home program and like 50-100 other ones. I am sure you will get at least 10-20 interviews.

@AlteredScale I’d be curious on your thoughts where you believe I stand as well.

I'll go first.

US MD Grad from a top 30 Med school, currently doing residency in a low end Top 10 program. Step 1 between 200-210, Step 210-220, Step 2 CS pass first attempt, Step 3 220-230.

Research:
-1 book chapter, first author, GI related
- 2 manuscripts (non-GI) including a middle author spot in a major high impact journal think JAMA level.
- In the process of working on several other manuscripts but these will at best be submitted by the time of application
- 13 first author abstracts including 5 GI (although 3 of these will be pending acceptance by the apps first come out but should hear back shortly after) including a first place award
- 5 QI projects, 3 first author
- Multiple high level committee involvements in both residency and medical school, including an associated award
LOR
- 4 very strong LOR including IM PD, one of which is from a different but highly competitive subspecialty and is are a nationally recognized name in their field and can speak to my clinical skills well as they were my attending for several weeks, other 2 are GI including one with some amount national recognition and the other with great recognition at my institution.
- Overall strong evaluations and relationships in general
Research is very strong and having the letters and name will help. But the S1 score will screen you out. So apply to more than less. I can't give a good rec on how many that is, but just as many as you can afford.

That’s definitely the main sore spot for sure, have worked hard to try and compensate otherwise for it. A lot of the feedback I have gotten was that step scores don’t matter for fellowship and that while a few programs may screen out, by and large it shouldn’t be a big deal. Of course with how competitive things are who knows, I know programs are looking for reasons to narrow the applicant pool. Hopefully they’ll do holistic review.

I appreciate your perspective and share your concern, will just keep motivating me to keep my head down and hustle.

Best of luck to all applying.

That’s definitely the main sore spot for sure, have worked hard to try and compensate otherwise for it. A lot of the feedback I have gotten was that step scores don’t matter for fellowship and that while a few programs may screen out, by and large it shouldn’t be a big deal. Of course with how competitive things are who knows, I know programs are looking for reasons to narrow the applicant pool. Hopefully they’ll do holistic review.

I appreciate your perspective and share your concern, will just keep motivating me to keep my head down and hustle.

Best of luck to all applying.

Yeah I agree, it's hard to say that all programs do this screen, but it's safer to just assume so. Again rest of your app is extremely strong so I don't think you will have any problem getting the number of interviews you need to match without difficulty.

Applying this year to both GI and hepatology
Overall I don't feel like a very strong applicant but I want to stay in-state/regional and I decided on GI kind of late in the game.

Louisiana medical school and residency
Step 1: 218
Step 2: 245 and passed Step 2 CS 1st try
Step 3: 245

As far as research there isn't much
1 case report from medical school that is published but I have 2 more submitted and 2 others still in the works for submission
Working on a very large IBD study right now that won't get published for probably several more years but it has a lot of promise
1 conference and 1 poster presentation
I have 4 very strong letters (1 from GI faculty, 1 PD and 2 medicine faculty) and I'm doing an away rotation and the program I am most interested in.

Does anyone know about the Step 1 score filters and if programs really are that particular?

Anyway, I'm not trying to go to some crazy place but I feel like my odds are slim with how little I have on my CV now

Any thoughts? SDN usually has insanely impressive people so at least I get to see all of my competition :D

Applying this year to both GI and hepatology
Overall I don't feel like a very strong applicant but I want to stay in-state/regional and I decided on GI kind of late in the game.

Louisiana medical school and residency
Step 1: 218
Step 2: 245 and passed Step 2 CS 1st try
Step 3: 245

As far as research there isn't much
1 case report from medical school that is published but I have 2 more submitted and 2 others still in the works for submission
Working on a very large IBD study right now that won't get published for probably several more years but it has a lot of promise
1 conference and 1 poster presentation
I have 4 very strong letters (1 from GI faculty, 1 PD and 2 medicine faculty) and I'm doing an away rotation and the program I am most interested in.

Does anyone know about the Step 1 score filters and if programs really are that particular?

Anyway, I'm not trying to go to some crazy place but I feel like my odds are slim with how little I have on my CV now

Any thoughts? SDN usually has insanely impressive people so at least I get to see all of my competition :D

With the enormous amount of applicants trying for GI at this time there definitely is the use of a filter for scores. I can't make a blanket statement that all GI PDs are using it, and what the number is, but your S1 score may limit you.

Going to be honest with you, the research you have on your CV very very weak in terms of numbers and quality (case reports are low hanging fruit).

Are you a USMD? Do you have a home GI program at your training hospital? If yes to both or either then that may increase your chances.

It sounds like you are already planning a backup into the non-acgme hepatology fellowships, I would also look into pancreatology (only like a fe in the nation but at great institutions) nutrition, and sometimes the IBD spots if they go unfilled as apart of that plan.

Hello and good luck to everyone for this year's cycle! Guys, I want to mention that time flies! It feels like yesterday when I was applying for IM and now here I am, getting ready to apply for fellowship..
You can find below my credentials.
  • Non-US IMG, J1 visa
  • Low-tier academic IM program (currently 2nd year)
  • Scores: Step 1: 25x, Step 2: 25x, Step 2cs: First pass, Step 3: 23x
  • Research:
    • Publications: 6 non-GI (1st, 2nd, 3rd and other middle author)
    • Pending publications/ submitted (unknown if they will be published by the time of application-probably not): 3 GI-related, all first author
    • 1 Ongoing Research project- 1st name
    • 1 Ongoing clinical trial- 2nd name
    • QI projects: 3 projects, 1 finished, 1 ongoing (probably will be finished by time of application), 1 starting now
    • Posters: 4 ACG- 1st name, 2 ACG-2nd name, 1 DDW-3rd name. 3-4 submitted in ACG 22
    • Case reports: 1 non-GI- 2nd author submitted
  • LoRs: 1 IM PD, 1 GI PD, 1 GI faculty, 1 Medicine attending with strong regional connections. (I will have more but probably this will be the combo that I will use for most programs)
All the opinions are welcomed. Again, good luck to all of us!

What are my chances? Planning to apply to about 80 programs. I would prefer a mid to low tier academic program. I am planning on doing general GI.
  • Medical School: USMD at low tier Texas school
  • AOA
  • mid-tier academic IM program, east coast (Current PGY2)
  • Scores: Step 1: 253, Step 2: 264, Step 2cs: First pass, Step 3: 248
  • Research:
    • Publications: 3 non-GI (1st (case report), 3rd and other middle author)
    • Pending publications/ submitted: 3 GI-related
      • 2 first author (retrospective project, case report), 1 middle author case report
    • Posters: 2 ACG-2nd name, 1 DDW-1st. 4-5 submitted to ACG 22. about 12 other posters GI and non GI related
    • still working on other GI projects
  • some extracurriculars, volunteer and work experiences
  • LoRs: 1 IM PD, 1 GI faculty, 1 General Medicine, 1 Cardiology faculty
All opinions are welcome.

With the enormous amount of applicants trying for GI at this time there definitely is the use of a filter for scores. I can't make a blanket statement that all GI PDs are using it, and what the number is, but your S1 score may limit you.

Going to be honest with you, the research you have on your CV very very weak in terms of numbers and quality (case reports are low hanging fruit).

Are you a USMD? Do you have a home GI program at your training hospital? If yes to both or either then that may increase your chances.

It sounds like you are already planning a backup into the non-acgme hepatology fellowships, I would also look into pancreatology (only like a fe in the nation but at great institutions) nutrition, and sometimes the IBD spots if they go unfilled as apart of that plan.
I am US and I pretty much just want to go do my fellowship where I did medical school, which is LSU, so not like top of the nation or anything. I left for residency but trying to go back home. I have family and connections there and a house there so it would be ideal for me. My application is weak sauce but hoping that doing an away rotation and some connections will help despite my lack of publications.

Either way, I have a backup plan. I appreciate your feedback!

I saw this in one of the earlier posts but is a PGY-3 chief year really not valued the same as a PGY-4 chief year? Besides attending a service, you do all of the same work as a PGY-4 chief on top of being a resident (and without the pay bump of a PGY-4 chief). It seems crazy to me that it would be devalued.

I saw this in one of the earlier posts but is a PGY-3 chief year really not valued the same as a PGY-4 chief year? Besides attending a service, you do all of the same work as a PGY-4 chief on top of being a resident (and without the pay bump of a PGY-4 chief). It seems crazy to me that it would be devalued.
The only concern I have heard (from attendings) regarding PGY-3 chiefs, is that they may miss clinical training time while acting as chief residents.

The only concern I have heard (from attendings) regarding PGY-3 chiefs, is that they may miss clinical training time while acting as chief residents.
Thank you for the reply! That’s an interesting take from attendings. PGY-3 chief duties in no way replace clinical training/duties. Resident duties/training come first and chief duties pretty much just take up any additional time you have. It’s more of a juggling act than a substitution. As with most misconceptions, maybe there is just a lack of experience dealing with PGY-3 chiefs 🤷‍♂️

Hey all,

US grad here, mid-level med school, was top 30% of graduating class
went to a community-University associated IM program to be near family, applying this year.

Step 1 248, Step 2 256, Step 3 244
About 8 Case reports in abstracts to ACG conference , ACG case reports, and other conferences
2 research projects, no publications
1 QI project completed with presentation

No home GI institution. Wondering thoughts on my chances, thinking to applying to 75 programs or so, and possibly considering for a back-up fellowship specialty application. Appreciate feedback.

Last edited:
Hey all,

US grad here, mid-level med school, was top 30% of graduating class
went to a community-University associated IM program to be near family, applying this year.

Step 1 248, Step 2 256, Step 3 244
About 8 Case reports in abstracts to ACG conference , ACG case reports, and other conferences
2 research projects, no publications
1 QI project completed with presentation

No home GI institution. Wondering thoughts on my chances, thinking to applying to 75 programs or so, and possibly considering for a back-up fellowship specialty application. Appreciate feedback.
Again, I am not an expert, but being US grad with excellent scores increases your chances dramatically.
Idk how are your LoRs but if they are strong and your people have connections, then your chances are even better
Research output is not the best (but again US-MD with good scores, usually showing interest by having some research should be ok)

Thanks for all the advice over the years. Trying to get some idea of how this might play out.

How many programs would be safe to apply to including home program?.

I think I'm a favorable candidate for my home program, and would love to stay but there's A LOT of us applying for those spots which makes me nervous.

Medical School: USMD at mid tier Texas school
  • mid-tier academic IM program, midwest (Current PGY2)
  • Scores: Step 1: 220, Step 2: 229, Step 2cs: Second pass, Step 3: 217
  • Research:
    • Publications: 13 published, 1 Accepted, 2 Submitted [8 Non-GI before residency; 8 GI]. First Author: 9.
    • Research types: QI [Liver Disease, CRC screening], Outcomes [Health Inequity], Non-GI Basic Science. 9 Case Reports, 1 Basic Science (Nature, mid author). Rest is clinical retrospective/prospective.
    • Posters: 6 ACG 2021- 1st author. 1 submitted to AASLD first author, 2-3 to ACG 2022 first author. 25 - 27 total abstracts in GI and non GI related
    • still working on a couple GI projects
  • Extracurriculars with emphasis in disparities, diversity
  • LoRs: 1 IM PD, 3 GI faculty, +/- 1 General Medicine - Most should be strong letters.

Last edited:
Again, I am not an expert, but being US grad with excellent scores increases your chances dramatically.
Idk how are your LoRs but if they are strong and your people have connections, then your chances are even better
Research output is not the best (but again US-MD with good scores, usually showing interest by having some research should be ok)
Appreciate your thoughts, I'll have pretty good letters, although not sure about the connections.

Thanks for all the advice over the years. Trying to get some idea of how this might play out.

How many programs would be safe to apply to including home program?.

I think I'm a favorable candidate for my home program, and would love to stay but there's A LOT of us applying for those spots which makes me nervous.

Medical School: USMD at mid tier Texas school
  • mid-tier academic IM program, midwest (Current PGY2)
  • Scores: Step 1: 220, Step 2: 229, Step 2cs: Second pass, Step 3: 217
  • Research:
    • Publications: 13 published, 1 Accepted, 2 Submitted [8 Non-GI before residency; 8 GI]. First Author: 9.
    • Research types: QI [Liver Disease, CRC screening], Outcomes [Health Inequity], Non-GI Basic Science. 9 Case Reports, 1 Basic Science (Nature, mid author). Rest is clinical retrospective/prospective.
    • Posters: 6 ACG 2021- 1st author. 1 submitted to AASLD first author, 2-3 to ACG 2022 first author. 25 - 27 total abstracts in GI and non GI related
    • still working on a couple GI projects
  • Extracurriculars with emphasis in disparities, diversity
  • LoRs: 1 IM PD, 3 GI faculty, +/- 1 General Medicine - Most should be strong letters.
you have a strong profile, passing CS in second attempt will filter you out in some programs, so apply widely. if they open your CV, I think you have enough to overlook the CS attempt

you have a strong profile, passing CS in second attempt will filter you out in some programs, so apply widely. if they open your CV, I think you have enough to overlook the CS attempt
agreed with the above. anyone who opens your CV will definitely love the research you have, it'll be more than most. but you may have to explain why you have so much research - are you interested in a research path, getting a grant eventually, or going into academics overall? Community programs might not like you as much as academic programs so I would think you have to create a good story around it! But I'm also an applicant so I"m sure others with more experience will have more thoughts, those are my two cents! Great application though.

Looking for advice on overall application strength/weakness & how many programs to apply to. I am thinking of avoiding very high COL places as I have a toddler & another child on the way.

Medical School: US MD, low tier state program in Texas
Residency: on the better side of mid-tier academic programs, historically good GI match
Scores: Step 1- 233, Step 2- 253, Step 3- 240 (all pass, 1st attempt)
Research: 1 first-author publication in high impact factor (>15) GI-related journal
Poster presentations: 12 posters at ACG with varying authorship (4 first), 3 second to third author posters at other national conferences, and 5 submissions pending acceptance to ACG 2022 (3 first author, 2 second author)
LoR's: 3 strong (per their offer to write) LoR's from academic GI docs 1 of whom is nationally known, 1 PD letter
Extracurricular/Experience: Prior career to medicine in teaching, balanced starting new family w/ residency/fellowship apps, started a podcast which had a good following before I moved on

Last edited:
Looking for advice on overall application strength/weakness & how many programs to apply to. I am thinking of avoiding very high COL places as I have a toddler & another child on the way.

Medical School: US MD, low tier state program in Texas
Residency: on the better side of mid-tier academic programs, historically good GI match
Scores: Step 1- 233, Step 2- 253, Step 3- 240 (all pass, 1st attempt)
Research: 1 first-author publication in high impact factor (>15) GI-related journal
Poster presentations: 12 posters at ACG with varying authorship (4 first), 3 second to third author posters at other national conferences, and 5 submissions pending acceptance to ACG 2022 (3 first author, 2 second author)
LoR's: 3 strong (per their offer to write) LoR's from academic GI docs 1 of whom is nationally known, 1 PD letter
Extracurricular/Experience: Prior career to medicine in teaching, balanced starting new family w/ residency/fellowship apps, started a podcast which had a good following before I moved on

You're set to go. Could probably apply to 30-50 and easily snag 10 interviews which is almost a sure shot to match somewhere. Does your program have an in house GI fellowship?

Tha
You're set to go. Could probably apply to 30-50 and easily snag 10 interviews which is almost a sure shot to match somewhere. Does your program have an in house GI fellowship?
Thank you for the feedback! We do have an in-house program, although I would like to go elsewhere just to diversify my training a bit...Not sure how important it is in the long term but a different med school, residency, & fellowship is something I've always thought of doing.

Hi all, long time lurker here. Would love to hear from you guys regarding my chances and how many programs I should be applying to.

Medical School: Low tier USMD, Top 5% of the class, AOA
Residency: Top 10 academic program
Scores: Step 1 240s, Step 2 CK 250s, Step 2 CS pass on the 1st try, Step 3 230s
Research: 1 first-author manuscript submitted
Poster presentations/Abstracts: 1 poster, 1 case report, 1 QI, all first author at DDW & ACG. 3 other abstracts (not first author) and 2 non-GI abstracts/posters. Working on another project.
LoR's: 1 GI (well known, nationally recognized), 2 IM, another GI and PD. All strong letters.
Extracurricular/Experience: Prefer not to specify but a couple good experiences here.

Does anyone know if some of the unregistered programs (ex/ Houston Methodist, Tulane, U of Cinn, U South Ala, ect) are just late to registering and will be registered by the time to submit applications? Or will they not be able to participate in the match this year?

Does anyone know if some of the unregistered programs (ex/ Houston Methodist, Tulane, U of Cinn, U South Ala, ect) are just late to registering and will be registered by the time to submit applications? Or will they not be able to participate in the match this year?
I have heard rumors that they took internal matches. Purely rumor but I can't think of any other reason.

I have heard rumors that they took internal matches. Purely rumor but I can't think of any other reason.

This wouldn’t effect anything for the new cycle. It looks like it’s just an error that is slowly getting resolved, every few days there are fewer and fewer unregistered programs.

Mid-tier USMD
Steps 23x, 24x, 24x
URM
Mid-tier residency
ITE top quartile, not sure if that will matter
LOR: 3 GI, 5 total
2 publications
2 posters
>10 clinical vignettes/cases

Applying very broadly. WAMC?

Mid-tier USMD
Steps 23x, 24x, 24x
URM
Mid-tier residency
ITE top quartile, not sure if that will matter
LOR: 3 GI, 5 total
2 publications
2 posters
>10 clinical vignettes/cases

Applying very broadly. WAMC?

Good chance you will match, may not be at your #1-5 but you should be OK if you apply broadly. Home program is stastically your best shot. Research will hold you back. Do you have any abstracts accepted or things submitted to ACG? ITE will not matter nor is it disclosed to programs. Letters should be stellar, if you have someone who will make contact for you or has a national profile that will help.

Good chance you will match, may not be at your #1-5 but you should be OK if you apply broadly. Home program is stastically your best shot. Research will hold you back. Do you have any abstracts accepted or things submitted to ACG? ITE will not matter nor is it disclosed to programs. Letters should be stellar, if you have someone who will make contact for you or has a national profile that will help.

Yes most of what I have is AJG/ACG. Thank you for the feedback.