Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMD2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The time has come upon us for yet another fellowship cycle - this one goes down in history though. Let's see how COVID-19 will affect this cycle. Let's start of with concerns, questions, and discussions about how your home institution is handling COVID's impact on your application (i.e. away rotations, meeting with faculty, clinic time for more attending face time etc).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
thoughts on in-person vs zoom vs choice in terms of interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could prior applicants/current GI fellows post their scores/stats and number of interviews?
I am curious to see how many IVs IMGs in accordance with their stats. thank you all

Covid or not, I really like the idea of Zoom-type interviews followed by an optional in person “open house” day for those interested that would not have baring on their application. I think that’s how all future interviews for all jobs should be. Save time and money for everyone.

Agree, problem is, I guarantee that everyone would think the “optional” open house is required. So either don’t have it at all, or have the program rank list close and then a 2-3 weeks period where you can do this open house, then applicant rank list close.

It wouldn’t work any other way

For the Advance fellowship almost most interviews were done via Zoom. We will see what will happen with the GI general Interviews.
For people applying this year, you can post your scores, publications, cred... and ask any questions.

Format, please.

AMG - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
-Questions you have

US-IMG - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
- Questions You have

IMG-Visa - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
-Questions you have

I have posted my experience in the old thread. But if you have questions ask away. Always here to help. wish everyone the best

ooohh already that time. Good luck everyone.

It’s that time again.
Please post your credential (if you like) questions, comments, and suggestions for this year's cycle.

We wish you the best in this coming season and hope everyone reaches their goals.

(Moderators please make this a sticky)

Thank you a

Have any past or current GI applicants accrued a list of the programs accepting visas? Or are aware of how many applicants they take?

Members don't see this ad :)
do some programs require 4 LOR? its also understood that 1 PD, 1 GI, 1 other IM/IMs ubspeciality is okay?

When are the peak of interviews? I've heard end of September? What have you all heard about moving to virtual interviews due to COVID?

Unless its your home or local institution where they can interview one at a time it'll be virtual

THE GOOD:
US citizen
Top 20 IM residency
Step 1 250s, Step 2 260s, CS passed first attempt, Step 3 230s (?)
3 GI manuscripts submitted this month
3 GI posters at DDW, none at ACG

THE NOT SO GOOD:
No accepted GI pubs
3 GI projects in process but unlikely to be submitted prior to ERAS
3 non-GI pubs, 5 non-GI posters
No chief year
LORs: 2x GI, 1x IM

Planning to apply broadly (geographically), mostly to academic programs. Truly looking to stay in academic GI but more on the education side rather than 70% research which might be a hard sell.

How many programs should I apply to? The (likely) virtual interview season makes me nervous people will accept more interviews because there will be fewer time constraints. I know the lack of published articles isn't ideal, but aside from crossing my fingers they get accepted is there anything you all would recommend I improve on my app? Trying not to add more projects because figure that will be obvious "resume padding"

:)

THE GOOD:
US citizen
Top 20 IM residency

THE NOT SO GOOD:
No accepted GI pubs
No chief year

Planning to apply broadly (geographically), mostly to academic programs. Truly looking to stay in academic GI but more on the education side rather than 70% research which might be a hard sell.

How many programs should I apply to? The (likely) virtual interview season makes me nervous people will accept more interviews because there will be fewer time constraints. I know the lack of published articles isn't ideal, but aside from crossing my fingers they get accepted is there anything you all would recommend I improve on my app? Trying not to add more projects because figure that will be obvious "resume padding"

This is fairly strong. Not amazing. Still time for those three Submitted articles to be accepted. How many Of the ddw posters are first author?

I don’t think the education thing would be a hard sell at all. Do you have any research abstracts or pubs in medical education? If not then why are u interested in it

When are the peak of interviews? I've heard end of September? What have you all heard about moving to virtual interviews due to COVID?

Hopefully programs are more selective with interview invites given that they will be virtual so more people will accept invites

THE GOOD:
US citizen
Top 20 IM residency

THE NOT SO GOOD:
No accepted GI pubs
No chief year

I assume you’re also a US MD. Either way you shouldn’t have any trouble if you apply broadly.

This is fairly strong. Not amazing. Still time for those three Submitted articles to be accepted. How many Of the ddw posters are first author?

I don’t think the education thing would be a hard sell at all. Do you have any research abstracts or pubs in medical education? If not then why are u interested in it

One first author at DDW, others 2nd author
For manuscript, I'd be first author on two of three.
One abstract for med ed but no pubs

And yes, US MD!

One first author at DDW, others 2nd author
For manuscript, I'd be first author on two of three.
One abstract for med ed but no pubs

And yes, US MD!

You’ll get in, may not be your top 2 or 3. Apply to some mid level programs for sure

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

IMG
Green Card
USMLE Scores:
Step 1: 24x
Step 2: 25x
Step 3: 23x
CS Passed on 1st attempt
Mid-tier University Residency Program with in-house GI Fellowship
5 LORs: 1 GI PD, 1 GI Faculty, 1 Pulm/Crit PD, 1 IM PD, 1 Heme/Onc PD (cannot use GI PD LOR for in-house, will sub with another)
Poster presentations: 14 (8 ACP, 6 ACG - 3 first author)
Oral presentations: 2 (ACP)
2 GI related QI Projects
Publications: 1 original article in progress with GI faculty (but most likely will not be complete by application time), 14 case reports, 4 abstracts

Hoping to get into my in-house program but what are my chances in case that falls through? How broadly should I apply (in terms of # of programs?)

Sort of a random question, but, does being a female applicant help or hurt my chances in any way?

Thanks again.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

IMG
Green Card
USMLE Scores:
Step 1: 24x
Step 2: 25x
Step 3: 23x
CS Passed on 1st attempt
Mid-tier University Residency Program with in-house GI Fellowship
5 LORs: 1 GI PD, 1 GI Faculty, 1 Pulm/Crit PD, 1 IM PD, 1 Heme/Onc PD (cannot use GI PD LOR for in-house, will sub with another)
Poster presentations: 14 (8 ACP, 6 ACG - 3 first author)
Oral presentations: 2 (ACP)
2 GI related QI Projects
Publications: 1 original article in progress with GI faculty (but most likely will not be complete by application time), 14 case reports, 4 abstracts

Hoping to get into my in-house program but what are my chances in case that falls through? How broadly should I apply (in terms of # of programs?)

Sort of a random question, but, does being a female applicant help or hurt my chances in any way?

Thanks again.

Relatively strong application. Are you a Chief? That would really strengthen things. The productivity is nice, try to convert what you can to papers. If your GI letters are big names expect that to open a few doors. As an IMG expect to reach some good mid-tier programs and maybe even some upper tiers. I'd say you have an above avg chance for an IMG- but those odds are still tough. Apply very broadly and treat every interview as if that is the most critical, ESPECIALLY your home program. Expect your IVs to come after your US co-residents.

Female applicant will help alot. I'd say this is hush-hush, but it is stated openly at multiple programs. As it should. The culture of GI is not such that it should detract female applicants as much as specialties like Surgery, Cards etc (my personal opinion + based on internal surveys) but female representation in GI is a problem. Be confident in your application- female or not, it is solid, don't sell yourself short.

Reactions: 1 users
@ShiShiMD Not sure if you can comment on this. Is your program, or other programs you may know of, making modifications to screening applicants this year with Covid-19 in place? Half of my co-residents applying to GI (Midwest Mid-upper tier Uni program), my colleagues in both west and east coast programs, and some of their co-residents are having issues with the major delays in Step 3. This probably applies to the IM programs that commonly have their residents take Step 3 later in PGY-2. Step 3 is being disfavored with Prometric because it is 2 days long. Despite the month delay in the deadline to apply, Prometric centers in major cities have been continuously backlogging (or dare I say constipated?) the exams so there are a number of us who won't have step 3 scores in time to apply.

Some GI programs have announced they won't be considering Step 3 this year for the interview selection process (and instead focus on Step 1 and 2), but it seems that some other ones that have been contacted have not really decided or have thought about the Step 3 consideration and really just require it for licensing (Before July, 2021 in California) or matriculation in other states. I have been surprised to hear how many applicants this year will be affected by Prometric's delays with those who planned to take Step 3 in the latter half of PGY-2.

Has your program or programs you know addressed this?

I personally had step 3 resulted after interview and don't think programs care.

@ShiShiMD Not sure if you can comment on this. Is your program, or other programs you may know of, making modifications to screening applicants this year with Covid-19 in place? Half of my co-residents applying to GI (Midwest Mid-upper tier Uni program), my colleagues in both west and east coast programs, and some of their co-residents are having issues with the major delays in Step 3. This probably applies to the IM programs that commonly have their residents take Step 3 later in PGY-2. Step 3 is being disfavored with Prometric because it is 2 days long. Despite the month delay in the deadline to apply, Prometric centers in major cities have been continuously backlogging (or dare I say constipated?) the exams so there are a number of us who won't have step 3 scores in time to apply.

Some GI programs have announced they won't be considering Step 3 this year for the interview selection process (and instead focus on Step 1 and 2), but it seems that some other ones that have been contacted have not really decided or have thought about the Step 3 consideration and really just require it for licensing (Before July, 2021 in California) or matriculation in other states. I have been surprised to hear how many applicants this year will be affected by Prometric's delays with those who planned to take Step 3 in the latter half of PGY-2.

its just another exam. if your CV is stellar otherwise, you will get the IVs. I am sure PDs will get briefing about the delays in the exam issue

Step 3 almost certainly does not matter or matters extremely minimally. Even less so this year for what you say above. Not even sure it is worth discussing.

Step 3 almost certainly does not matter or matters extremely minimally. Even less so this year for what you say above. Not even sure it is worth discussing.

I understand. The reason a lot of us are concerned is because we would hope not to be screened out pre-review of applications. The most recent surveys from GI Program Directors (I believe was 2016, but correct me if I'm wrong) reveals that about 60% of programs will require a "Pass on Step 3" prior to interviews. This is quite a bit of programs, which warrants a concern. This same data does reveal, as you state, that the score itself is pretty minimal in importance. My only hope is that the 60% that still look for that "Pass" will forgo the requirement at least during the interview cycle. Most, if not close to 100%, of people who match GI anyway don't have issues with passing the exam, given a multitude of factors (IM residents tend to perform better, applicants to GI tend to have higher step scores etc), so I hope the programs don't feel it is too much of a gamble to match somebody with the worry that they won't pass Step 3 in time for licensure prior to July 1, 2021.

I understand. The reason a lot of us are concerned is because we would hope not to be screened out pre-review of applications. The most recent surveys from GI Program Directors (I believe was 2016, but correct me if I'm wrong) reveals that about 60% of programs will require a "Pass on Step 3" prior to interviews. This is quite a bit of programs, which warrants a concern. This same data does reveal, as you state, that the score itself is pretty minimal in importance. My only hope is that the 60% that still look for that "Pass" will forgo the requirement at least during the interview cycle. Most, if not close to 100%, of people who match GI anyway don't have issues with passing the exam, given a multitude of factors (IM residents tend to perform better, applicants to GI tend to have higher step scores etc), so I hope the programs don't feel it is too much of a gamble to match somebody with the worry that they won't pass Step 3 in time for licensure prior to July 1, 2021.

I see, okay. Just as a data point, at my residency nearly everyone takes Step 3 PGY3 after applying to fellowship. I know many GI applicants that did just this. All matched, all went to strong programs. So just a data point that I'm not sure this is a real requirement. Don't know where that is indicating 60%, hasn't been the case for us. Good luck!

In my residency program well over 50% of us take step 3 after applying for fellowship

In my residency program well over 50% of us take step 3 after applying for fellowship

COVID-19 and USMLE testing: 4 key questions for students, residents

It seems that the board committee has been aware of this and that the license requirements are being waived. If this gets to the GME departments (and the GI program directors), then most will know that this year is an exception with licensure requirements and they may not have to require step 3 this year.

Hoping it works out well for those without step 3 scores yet.

its just another exam. if your CV is stellar otherwise, you will get the IVs. I am sure PDs will get briefing about the delays in the exam issue
COVID-19 and USMLE testing: 4 key questions for students, residents

It seems that the board committee has been aware of this and that the license requirements are being waived. If this gets to the GME departments (and the GI program directors), then most will know that this year is an exception with licensure requirements and they may not have to require step 3 this year.

Hoping it works out well for those without step 3 scores yet.

All Valid points, but some programs do need you to have applied for the board or completed USMLE STEP 3 for Licensure of the state.

I am sure this will be fixed, do not worry at all, stay safe and please stay safe

All Valid points, but some programs do need you to have applied for the board or completed USMLE STEP 3 for Licensure of the state.

I am sure this will be fixed, do not worry at all, stay safe and please stay safe

When would states generally want us to apply for the state licensure? After Match I would assume? Do you know if the program directors are aware that this is being waived because of Covid or should we be contacting programs to ask specifically? (not that it would change much if we are literally just barred from taking the step 3 in time).

When would states generally want us to apply for the state licensure? After Match I would assume? Do you know if the program directors are aware that this is being waived because of Covid or should we be contacting programs to ask specifically? (not that it would change much if we are literally just barred from taking the step 3 in time).

Contact the GME office or States Medical Boards. Do not contact the program directors please.

Hi guys
IMG/Community program residency, EAD, no visa need
Step 1 250s, Step2 250s, Step 3 230s
Graduating 2020, doing chief year
5 GI pub, 1 first author/ 3 GI submissions, all first author.
15 DDW/ACG poster abstracts, 4 first author. Sending 5 poster abstracts to ACG
1 IM PD, 3 GI LORs
Applying to 100 programs

Hopeful. Best of luck everyone

Hi guys
IMG/Community program residency, EAD, no visa need
Step 1 250s, Step2 250s, Step 3 230s
Graduating 2020, doing chief year
5 GI pub, 1 first author/ 3 GI submissions, all first author.
15 DDW/ACG poster abstracts, 4 first author. Sending 5 poster abstracts to ACG
1 IM PD, 3 GI LORs
Applying to 100 programs

Hopeful. Best of luck everyone

Your app is strong, you are well positioned to match as long as you make sure to apply broadly. Your bottleneck will be your program's rep and letter writers, but your publishing experience will go a long way. Apply to more programs, its virtual, you'll save money on the interviews you would've been doing. If 25 of your applications are to the Hopkins/ Boston programs/ UCSFs etc you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. As an IMG the odds are not in your favor, apply as broadly as able and willing.

Your app is strong, you are well positioned to match as long as you make sure to apply broadly. Your bottleneck will be your program's rep and letter writers, but your publishing experience will go a long way. Apply to more programs, its virtual, you'll save money on the interviews you would've been doing. If 25 of your applications are to the Hopkins/ Boston programs/ UCSFs etc you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. As an IMG the odds are not in your favor, apply as broadly as able and willing.
To be realistic, not so easy to match, but still have a chance.
- Being a chief from a community program is not that helpful. The chiefs from the community program that I know went unmatched in competitive specialty regularly. The safety net for a chief is probably their home program.
- Scores passed the cutoff surely for most programs. (most IMGs do)
- Research is always a plus. But as long as IMGs do not have 10+ publications on PubMed, there are still more impressive candidates in the pool.
- 1st author on publication with PubMed id carries most weights.
- Case reports carry the lowest weights. Most people submit case reports to build up numbers.
- You could expect 10+/-4 interviews approximately. 20-40% from personal connections (if any), 25-30% from no-visa programs.
- The LORs of GI attending from community programs is probably a standard for IMGs. In reality, you are competing with those who are equipped with 3 LoRs from university-based academic gastroenterologists. Hope you have some from away electives or research experience.

To be realistic, not so easy to match, but still have a chance.
- Being a chief from a community program is not that helpful. The chiefs from the community program that I know went unmatched in competitive specialty regularly. The safety net for a chief is probably their home program.
- Scores passed the cutoff surely for most programs. (most IMGs do)
- Research is always a plus. But as long as IMGs do not have 10+ publications on PubMed, there are still more impressive candidates in the pool.
- 1st author on publication with PubMed id carries most weights.
- Case reports carry the lowest weights. Most people submit case reports to build up numbers.
- You could expect 10+/-4 interviews approximately. 20-40% from personal connections (if any), 25-30% from no-visa programs.
- The LORs of GI attending from community programs is probably a standard for IMGs. In reality, you are competing with those who are equipped with 3 LoRs from university-based academic gastroenterologists. Hope you have some from away electives or research experience.
Thanks for the honest assessment. I know it's a tough road ahead. There are some weaknesses I can't change. So I am trying to improve my CV with more research, and hoping I can show my interest and commitment during the interviews. Do you think submitted(but not accepted) manuscripts matter?

Thanks for the honest assessment. I know it's a tough road ahead. There are some weaknesses I can't change. So I am trying to improve my CV with more research, and hoping I can show my interest and commitment during the interviews. Do you think submitted(but not accepted) manuscripts matter?
To me, only published research and accepted for publication matter. The rest is not that meaningful.

Agree with this assessment, although I don’t know if I would use the word strong. I would say reasonable competitive.

Do not bother applying to top 15 programs, period. Set your expectations for a low tier program

Any thoughts if the interview dates will be pushed back this year or occur generally the same time?

Programs are going to be review applications later this year, so I guess interviews might come later, IMO

Given that abstracts submitted to ACG are published in their supplemental journal do you log both a publication and a poster presentation into ERAS? Thanks

Wondering if anyone has advice on this... Under the section for research experiences, is it beneficial to also go into more detail what you have listed under the publications, presentations, etc. section so you can further explain your role in those projects. I was thinking it would be most useful in cases where you were not the primary author or presenter and so I was going to do that. However, I was not sure if it would be additionally appropriate in ones where you were first author/primary presenter (feels like your role and responsibilities in a project where you are listed first are self-explanatory). Thanks!

Wondering if anyone has advice on this... Under the section for research experiences, is it beneficial to also go into more detail what you have listed under the publications, presentations, etc. section so you can further explain your role in those projects. I was thinking it would be most useful in cases where you were not the primary author or presenter and so I was going to do that. However, I was not sure if it would be additionally appropriate in ones where you were first author/primary presenter (feels like your role and responsibilities in a project where you are listed first are self-explanatory). Thanks!
You could put a one-liner if you wish but more important is to
Have all the details and know everything inside and out and keep it in your portfolio that you carry with you on your interviews, you will need it to discuss your research on interviews, since one of the questions you will get is "so tell me about your research"
Or tell me about so-and-so since you will be interviewing with experts in the topic of the research you have studied, so be prepared

Given that abstracts submitted to ACG are published in their supplemental journal do you log both a publication and a poster presentation into ERAS? Thanks
If you put it in both places 5% will think you are deliberately doing it to mislead, other 5% won't notice the double dipping and will think they are all genuine publications and the other 90% won't care which you do

You could put a one-liner if you wish but more important is to
Have all the details and know everything inside and out and keep it in your portfolio that you carry with you on your interviews, you will need it to discuss your research on interviews, since one of the questions you will get is "so tell me about your research"
Or tell me about so-and-so since you will be interviewing with experts in the topic of the research you have studied, so be prepared
That makes sense. I just want to make sure that it didn't seem like I was double-dipping or being disingenuous just to increase the number of pubs/presentations/research experiences. Thanks for the advice!