Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
until this day I still have never understood how It can take weeks to release the match results from an algorithm that in no way in 2020 does it take longer than 5 minutes to run...... I mean how many BILLION OR TRILLION operations per second does the average cell phone or cheap black Friday laptop perform? It just needs to spit out 500 matches....500!
They say it has to do with them double checking to make sure there were no bugs and that no one’s NRMP glitched them out. If someone didn’t match they want to make sure that person didn’t match legitimately and not because of some bug in the system. Some of it takes manual work.

this is just hearsay from the older PDs however so take with lots of salt.

Members don't see this ad.

They say it has to do with them double checking to make sure there were no bugs and that no one’s NRMP glitched them out. If someone didn’t match they want to make sure that person didn’t match legitimately and not because of some bug in the system. Some of it takes manual work.

this is just hearsay from the older PDs however so take with lots of salt.

I have no doubt they do at least some manual Work as quality control.

We’ll Never know!!

Just curious - do programs find out which applicants matched into their program on match day as well or do they know in advance.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea what if it's like nba draft day and they are actively making candidate trades
i wish we were that valuable...except for the powerhouse programs no one really cares about what batch of slaves will be assigned to scut for them for the next 3 years.. i no PDs who are nonchalant and maintain that "we are a GI program !! , we ll fill "

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Happy match day! Matched my #2 and couldn't be more excited to get started :soexcited:

Hope others had success as well!

Reactions: 4 users
Matched my #1. Had been keeping changing 2 to 4 positions 5 minutes before ranking deadline. Really excited and thank you all for the help.
Hope everyone is happy with the match!:banana:

I didn't match this year. Any advice from those who have been through this before?

Matched at my home program! Congrats to everyone, it’s over!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn’t match this year, my home program chose two outside applicants like usual. Should I now apply for hepatology fellowship or continue as an academic hospitalist with chance to do research in the off week

Had so much anxiety figuring out my rank list outside my top 3 but happy to say matched my #1! Congrats to everyone!

Didn’t match this year, my home program chose two outside applicants like usual. Should I now apply for hepatology fellowship or continue as an academic hospitalist with chance to do research in the off week
lot depends on how your season was, how many IVs you got, whether you need visa and any internal politics.

Matched at #1, which happened to be a program that gave me an invite after a mentor called. Never underestimate the power of a well-connected and persuasive mentor! Congratulations everyone! And for those who didn't match, this isn't the end simply a detour or re-direction. If anyone wants me to help look over their CV (even de-identified) or wants to vent or anything please don't hesitate.

Matched at #9 (couples matched though, with Cardiology). Disappointed honestly but also the couples match for fellowship is a beast, so we're happy to have done it successfully. Thanks to all for the advice these past few months! And anyone else braving the couples match, please feel free to reach out.

lot depends on how your season was, how many IVs you got, whether you need visa and any internal politics.
No visa requirement.
our internal program doesn’t prefer internal candidates due to some old politics. Interview season was less than optimal with 5 interviews only. The other co resident had 10-12 and still went unmatched this year.

Matched my #1 as a first time applicant!!! Incredibly excited and proud, considering I only had 4 interviews and this season was especially competitive.

Great job to all who matched and for those who didn't - don't give up! Hope everyone who truly wants GI eventually gets a fellowship spot someday.

Academic Hospitalist with research. Do locums make that 350-400K this year

Reactions: 1 user
Matched my #1 as a first time applicant!!! Incredibly excited and proud, considering I only had 4 interviews and this season was especially competitive.

Great job to all who matched and for those who didn't - don't give up! Hope everyone who truly wants GI eventually gets a fellowship spot someday.

Please write about your experience and research and interview skills. Please.

Now that it is over, I have to say I hate every step of this process. There is no consistency. I know a below average resident from the same program who matched the first time while it took me two times as a chief with significantly more publications. I was told by multiple people I interviewed well and everybody enjoys working with me so not like I failed the first time due to personality issue or whatever. Thank God I never have to do this ever again.

Reactions: 6 users
Now that it is over, I have to say I hate every step of this process. There is no consistency. I know a below average resident from the same program who matched the first time while it took me two times as a chief with significantly more publications. I was told by multiple people I interviewed well and everybody enjoys working with me so not like I failed the first time due to personality issue or whatever. Thank God I never have to do this ever again.
Are they more physically attractive than you? Not being silly. But shallowness totally exists in this process.

On a side note, I’ll contribute to the thread in general. I’ll add that I matched #4 without a pubmed indexed publication. I thought it would end me since I was asked about lack of manuscript publications during interviews. Had a lot of posters and abstracts however.

For all the IMGs out there. I Matched at my #1 with J1 visa. I am soo happy. Community IM program, total of 6 IVs. Average scores 230-240s. 10 abstracts (1 DDW, 1 AASLD), 5 pubs, mostly case reports and 1 review article. Do not lose hope.

Reactions: 5 users
Are they more physically attractive than you? Not being silly. But shallowness totally exists in this process.

On a side note, I’ll contribute to the thread in general. I’ll add that I matched #4 without a pubmed indexed publication. I thought it would end me since I was asked about lack of manuscript publications during interviews. Had a lot of posters and abstracts however.
If I were completely honest both of us are like 7/10 but that resident is a Persian female and I am an Asian guy. I don't know if that is a factor here. Also, the place she matched at ranked her higher than me which was honestly mind blowing because by every imaginable metric my app is better and it is not even close. I even speak a minority language that is common among the patients of that place. I matched at a strong academic place (I only ranked it lower than the other place because of my SO) so no complaint here but how this played out made zero sense.

Everyone loves Persian Girls, There is a need, a massive need, UCLA can't handle all of them, and with all their cousins and aunts, uncles, as program directors or chiefs at big-name programs, is extremely hard to turn them down, I notice they all go to academic also which is awesome #womeningastroenterology --- I know Geriatrics and a hepatologist who work for 10 years in the GI program who got matched this year.

If I were completely honest both of us are like 7/10 but that resident is a Persian female and I am an Asian guy. I don't know if that is a factor here. Also, the place she matched at ranked her higher than me which was honestly mind blowing because by every imaginable metric my app is better and it is not even close. I even speak a minority language that is common among the patients of that place. I matched at a strong academic place (I only ranked it lower than the other place because of my SO) so no complaint here but how this played out made zero sense.
Be grateful my friend, I also know people with 10 IVs who didn't match

Be grateful my friend, I also know people with 10 IVs who didn't match
I am beyond grateful to match anywhere let alone a great place like this but I wish this whole process makes more sense that what I am seeing. Hopefully these are just a few isolated cases.

Congratulations to people who had a successful match!
Unfortunately, I did not match. I would like to share my profile and ask for some advice.

PGY3 IMG on H1B
Big community program in northeast
Step 1 and CK: 250s,
12 abstracts (mainly ACG/DDW, some IM meeting); one GI original research under review, one fourth-author manuscript, one first author non-GI case report.
LoR: IM APD, In-house GI fellowship PD, and a GI faculty. No interviewer during my interview said anything special about those letters.

I got 4 interviews, including one from my home institution but went unmatched.
Plan to reapply next year or the year after.

Questions:
-In addition to doing more research, and getting a green card if possible, anything else I can do to increase my chance of matching next year?
-Should I do a year of hepatology (very limited options for candidates without GI training) or academic hospitalist? What are the pros and cons?

Your inputs will be much appreciated!

Congratulations to people who had a successful match!
Unfortunately, I did not match. I would like to share my profile and ask for some advice.

PGY3 IMG on H1B
Big community program in northeast
Step 1 and CK: 250s,
12 abstracts (mainly ACG/DDW, some IM meeting); one GI original research under review, one fourth-author manuscript, one first author non-GI case report.
LoR: IM APD, In-house GI fellowship PD, and a GI faculty. No interviewer during my interview said anything special about those letters.

I got 4 interviews, including one from my home institution but went unmatched.
Plan to reapply next year or the year after.

Questions:
-In addition to doing more research, and getting a green card if possible, anything else I can do to increase my chance of matching next year?
-Should I do a year of hepatology (very limited options for candidates without GI training) or academic hospitalist? What are the pros and cons?

Your inputs will be much appreciated!
Sorry to hear that and hope you will be matched next year.
Green card will give you more places to apply. I think you can focus on publishing more first author manuscripts based on the profile diff between you and me.

There’s your answer. GI is heavily male. Programs tend to rank females higher to keep the ratio about even. Sort of like orthopedic surgery where females can usually match with a 220 on step 1, but a male with the same score would be toast.

Sorry man that sucks. I thinks it’s reverse sexism. I’m all for hiring women and minorities, but they still have to be qualified. If less qualified than you, you should’ve matched bro!

Sorry man that sucks. I thinks it’s reverse sexism. I’m all for hiring women and minorities, but they still have to be qualified. If less qualified than you, you should’ve matched bro!
There needs to be representation in the field. Our home Program has only 1 female. Fellows told me the PD is ranking females higher this year. I forget the statistics exactly but I feel like it’s pretty well known that females have a much better shot in GI than male counterparts

There needs to be representation in the field. Our home Program has only 1 female. Fellows told me the PD is ranking females higher this year. I forget the statistics exactly but I feel like it’s pretty well known that females have a much better shot in GI than male counterparts
Agreed on that as well. Still, qualifications matter. If two candidates are fairly equal I think taking the female over male is fair. If, as this poster suggests, there is a huge disparity in quality (which he may be wrong about), then the goal of representation should not be Prioritized over getting the best candidate.

Agreed on that as well. Still, qualifications matter. If two candidates are fairly equal I think taking the female over male is fair. If, as this poster suggests, there is a huge disparity in quality (which he may be wrong about), then the goal of representation should not be Prioritized over getting the best candidate.
Well I was the chief resident so I know a few concrete things about her: step score, performance in residency. I did not look those things up for the purpose of comparison. They were brought up in a prior meeting where we placed her on academic probation briefly. Her pub is like 1/3 of mine, barely. I don't want to be anymore specific but the huge disparity between the two apps is real and verifiable.

I did end up matching at a stronger academic place so it is all good but seriously wonder how that program justified ranking her higher than me :) What did they say in the rank meeting exactly? "Let's rank her higher than Fatty because...."Also, I could have gone unmatched this year. If that were the case, I would have been even more disappointed.

If her matching was indeed due to some sort of diversity, representation crap then it is fully misguided in this particular case because the spot could have gone to someone else who is more deserving.

A close friend from my home program also applied and matched thought told me that was the case but I initially did not quite believe that.

Last edited:

I am beyond grateful to match anywhere let alone a great place like this but I wish this whole process makes more sense that what I am seeing. Hopefully these are just a few isolated cases.

was silently rooting for you from last year. glad to see you matched! good luck!

Matched at #9 (couples matched though, with Cardiology). Disappointed honestly but also the couples match for fellowship is a beast, so we're happy to have done it successfully. Thanks to all for the advice these past few months! And anyone else braving the couples match, please feel free to reach out.
How was your experience as a couples match? Did you get lot of interview?

How was your experience overall? Did you get decent number of IVs as a couple?

How was your experience overall? Did you get decent number of IVs as a couple?
It was MUCH harder than couples matching into residency honestly. I think that's why we feel a bit blindsided. We had 16 interviews that matched up (same institution). When interviews came out, if one of us had an IV and the other didn't, we would reach out. This was incredibly successful. However, our top ~7 were (in hindsight) places that initially, only one of us had gotten an interview, so I think that hurt us. Also, neither of us has an impressive research background. Fellows couples matches are also much less common, so programs will either not notice that you're a couple or not make much of an effort to speak to the other department (at least that was my impression).

I think we made the mistake of underestimating the competitiveness of our respective specialties and the fact that a GI-Cards couples match would be another level of difficult. We did it for IM 3 years ago and matched at our #1, so naively thought it would be like that this time. Other couples at our program the past 5 years had a similar experience. I guess my advice would be...if you decide to couples match into fellowship, understand that you will almost certainly be sacrificing something to succeed, perhaps in a much more notable way than with a residency match. We matched at a legitimately great program - just lower on our list because of geography.

That said, I'd do it all over again to make sure I'm not living apart from my spouse.

It was MUCH harder than couples matching into residency honestly. I think that's why we feel a bit blindsided. We had 16 interviews that matched up (same institution). When interviews came out, if one of us had an IV and the other didn't, we would reach out. This was incredibly successful. However, our top ~7 were (in hindsight) places that initially, only one of us had gotten an interview, so I think that hurt us. Also, neither of us has an impressive research background. Fellows couples matches are also much less common, so programs will either not notice that you're a couple or not make much of an effort to speak to the other department (at least that was my impression).

I think we made the mistake of underestimating the competitiveness of our respective specialties and the fact that a GI-Cards couples match would be another level of difficult. We did it for IM 3 years ago and matched at our #1, so naively thought it would be like that this time. Other couples at our program the past 5 years had a similar experience. I guess my advice would be...if you decide to couples match into fellowship, understand that you will almost certainly be sacrificing something to succeed, perhaps in a much more notable way than with a residency match. We matched at a legitimately great program - just lower on our list because of geography.

That said, I'd do it all over again to make sure I'm not living apart from my spouse.
We did couples match too for gi and cards, we both matched in the tail end of our rank list..glad this is over and we re together

Thank you so much. That is really helpful feedback.

Congrats to everyone who've matched and heartfelt hoorah to those who will try again. Was wondering if anyone ahead of us have good tips / resources to boost GI knowledge before start of fellowship?

i am in same boat, but in heme/onc. what is the next best action?hepatology would be hospice for me.

Has anyone here received their Contracts or other on boarding materials?

A little late to the party, but I matched!! Excited since it was one of my top choices. Congrats to everyone who matched, and for those who didn't, this was a uniquely difficult year. Don't lose hope!