USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Had a question for people out there- D-day is tomorrow. Anyone know of a good CT/MRI image site for like last minute stuff? That's consistently been my weak spot. Thanks!

Look up radiopedia. I've used it to look up some random images just to better visualize things!

I haven't been on SDN since starting med school, but I thought I'd chime in with my Step experience in case it helps someone lurking :) I was very nervous about my practice test scores and felt like I knew the material better than my scores were reflecting, but luckily the real deal worked out well for me.

Baseline, 4.5 weeks before test, NBME 16: 215
2.5 weeks before test, NBME 17: 217 (<-- really panicked right about here, couldn't figure out why I hadn't gone up)
2 weeks before test, UWSA1: 241
1.5 weeks before test, NBME 18: 228
1 week before test, NBME 19: 223
6 days before test, UWSA2: 241
Overall UWorld, first pass, started Day 1 of dedicated, random untimed: 70% (though steadily climbing throughout dedicated)
Real score: 241

Very happy with how things turned out, despite feeling very uncertain that I was going to even break 230s -- by the time I got my score, I was just hoping for 225+. I'm 97% sure I'm pursuing peds, which isn't particularly competitive, so I feel really relieved and confident headed into MS3.

Good luck to those still waiting to take Step and to get your scores back! Hopefully this helps someone out there :)

Congrats again! I'm so happy for you. Thanks for being an awesome member of this community too!

Reactions: 1 user
Update for people who took test on/after 4/24 (the supposed date after which score reports will be delayed):

My friend took his exam on 4/24, and his scheduling permit disappeared today. So it appears that the score reporting delay may not be in effect, at least for people who took the test on 4/24. Good luck to everyone anticipating receiving their scores this week.

Took it 4/23 and mine disappeared today as well.

Now I'm wondering if the 4/23 people are being grouped into the last year's scoring pool pre-changes
orrrr is my date the very beginning of the next year's group with the new changes.

Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Update for people who took test on/after 4/24 (the supposed date after which score reports will be delayed):

My friend took his exam on 4/24, and his scheduling permit disappeared today. So it appears that the score reporting delay may not be in effect, at least for people who took the test on 4/24. Good luck to everyone anticipating receiving their scores this week.
What does it mean exactly when the scheduling permit disappears?

Hi I got the exact same score on NBME 15 today and have just about 2 weeks left to go. Can you give me some advice on what to do the last 2 weeks. I have about 20% of Uworld left.

I didn't take NBME 15 so I'm not sure what score you are referring to! If you clarify, I might be able to provide better guidance.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this! Its so refreshing to see someone post who didn't have a baseline of 230 to begin with - gives average joes like me a lot more hope. Long time lurker here and I'm at that 2 week panic point you mentioned. I'm not really sure what to do with my two weeks to "optimize" them - I'm 82% through UWorld (~75%), did UWSA1 two weeks ago with 210 (baseline) and NBME-16 2 days ago with a 220. I feel torn between doing at least 4-5 more NBMEs orrr going through FA again to memorize obscure factoids (especially the FA Biochem/Genetics) or considering the clinically oriented shift of the NBME - should I go through a Step2 FA?

Kind of just looking for advice (from anyone tbh) regarding how to not waste the next two weeks thinking about the exam, but rather spend this time doing something about it.

For the first 2.5 weeks of dedicated (so half my time, until I got the 217 on NBME 16), I focused a lot on UWorld questions. After my 217, I realized I had some content deficits, so I spent the next week really focusing on FA and Pathoma and SketchyPharm, trying to nail down my weak areas. The last week and a half of dedicated, I finished UWorld (which was like 30% or so of it) and reviewed my incorrects. All during dedicated, I made flashcards for every UWorld and NBME question I got wrong or was confused about, which ended up being ~1000 cards. I did the whole deck twice in the few days leading up to my exam, since I knew those were high yield pieces of information.

I'm happy with the number of practice tests I did (4 NBME and 2 UWSA), but if you're feeling crunched for time, I think 3 NBME + 2 UWSA would probably be sufficient.

Hopefully that helps!!

I'm in roughly exact same position as you. Got a 215 on NBME 16 just yesterday and 2 weeks till D-Day. I plan to finish Uworld do incorrects, read FA cover to cover and do Pathoma. Reassess every week with another NBME. So NBME 17 Sunday. Then NBME 19 week after that. Few days before I'll do NBME 18 and then the Free 120. Reviewing these NBMEs will be key incase they repeat. You never know. It can push guys like us into the 230s.

Or 240s ;) (With a 241, I'm barely in the 240s, but hey -- still counts!)

Congrats again! I'm so happy for you. Thanks for being an awesome member of this community too!

:) Thanks again!! You're gonna rock it!

Does anyone ever wonder WHY UWorld is such an accurate and predictive bank that correlates so well to performance on step 1? It's a separate entity who has no affiliation to NBME or USMLE. My conspiracy theory senses are kickin'

I heard something insanely funny the other day. I ran into a guy who said how he uses a different email id and name for his NBMEs because he thinks the USMLE board or whatever just takes the average of your last three NBMEs and gives you a score roughly around that mark. He finds it extremely suspicious how most people get an average of their previous NBMEs and that since most people sign up for NBMEs with their actual names and email addresses, its easy for the board to look you up and do that instead of assessing thousands of students writing the exam every day.

Pretty absurd and funny where people's thoughts go in regards to conspiracies. lol !

Can I get some advice here? I am scheduled to take my exam one week from today. For background: I'm in the bottom quarter of my class and aiming for rural FM, so my goal score is only like a 215+. I had a decent upward trend going towards hitting my goal and then hit a major speed bump today.

So here's what I had so far:
~5 weeks ago - CBSE w/ no preparation besides classes - predicted score of 176
3 weeks ago - UWorld sim 1 - 196
2 weeks ago - NBME 18 - 190
1 week ago - NBME 19 - 205
Today - free 120 79% and Uworld Sim 2 180.

Obviously that last number is super concerning. Maybe I'm rationalizing, but for some reason I was feeling really anxious and distracted while I was taking it (I think because I knew it would determine if I needed to change my date), which has not been an issue on other tests. And it was the second exam I took today, which I was hoping would simulate the length of the real thing. This is not in line with the upward trend I've had so far, and the lowest score since I've had since starting dedicated and seriously reviewing material. So what are the chances this is a fluke? I'm waiting to hear back from my academic advisor, but I'm thinking about taking another NBME tomorrow and see what happens there before making a final decision.

Has anybody dealt with something like this? Any advice?

I'd say take another NBME.

I heard something insanely funny the other day. I ran into a guy who said how he uses a different email id and name for his NBMEs because he thinks the USMLE board or whatever just takes the average of your last three NBMEs and gives you a score roughly around that mark. He finds it extremely suspicious how most people get an average of their previous NBMEs and that since most people sign up for NBMEs with their actual names and email addresses, its easy for the board to look you up and do that instead of assessing thousands of students writing the exam every day.

Pretty absurd and funny where people's thoughts go in regards to conspiracies. lol !

Omg lmao that just scared me

was the answer e) Paranoid personality disorder

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't take NBME 15 so I'm not sure what score you are referring to! If you clarify, I might be able to provide better guidance.

For the first 2.5 weeks of dedicated (so half my time, until I got the 217 on NBME 16), I focused a lot on UWorld questions. After my 217, I realized I had some content deficits, so I spent the next week really focusing on FA and Pathoma and SketchyPharm, trying to nail down my weak areas. The last week and a half of dedicated, I finished UWorld (which was like 30% or so of it) and reviewed my incorrects. All during dedicated, I made flashcards for every UWorld and NBME question I got wrong or was confused about, which ended up being ~1000 cards. I did the whole deck twice in the few days leading up to my exam, since I knew those were high yield pieces of information.

I'm happy with the number of practice tests I did (4 NBME and 2 UWSA), but if you're feeling crunched for time, I think 3 NBME + 2 UWSA would probably be sufficient.

Hopefully that helps!!

Sorry that was a typo I meant NBME 16.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody who has taken the exam after April 24th? Do you mind sharing nbme 18, 19 scores? I'm worried I got a 211 on nbme 19 a week prior and the exam did feel horrible at times.

do you know when your friend's scheduling permit expired/expires? I took it on 24th as well, but my permit expired on April 30th, so it has disappeared sometime since then. i.e. I have no clue whether my scheduling permit disappeared because I'll be receiving my score this Wednesday or if it's just secondary to the fact that my registration window expired.

Last edited:
Wow, UWSA 1 241, UWSA 2, 241, Actual Score 241.

So much for all the uworld overpredicting. There is no way to say one exam over or under predicts, people may as well stop trying to assign practice exams any value and just use them as tools.
I'm not doing this to pick on you, sorry it'll come off that way though. Your post is a fairly typical SDN post for this kind of stuff, though.

There is absolutely a way to say whether one exam over or under predicts, but no one bothers doing it properly. It's not hard, either. Just take the difference of the given NBME with the actual score and sum this across all observations- the direction of the sum, negative or positive, will say whether the form tends to under or over predict.

It's somewhat odd how quickly all these med students, researchers, and scientists try to generalize ideas from single cases: it's really silly to see one persons UWSA scores (or even NBMEs), regardless that it's both forms, and say that UWSA are now predictive because this kid had his match the real deal. Eyeballing a bunch of scores or looking only at one case by itself because it catches our attention isn't the way to answer this question.

Again, sorry it's your post in particular, but it's bizarre how many people on this forum think like this.

Reactions: 2 users
do you know when your friend's scheduling permit expired/expires? I took it on 24th as well, but my permit expired on April 30th, so it has disappeared sometime since then. i.e. I have no clue whether my scheduling permit disappeared because I'll be receiving my score this Wednesday or if it's just secondary to the fact that my registration window expired.
I still had the link to the permit for a while, but it said the permit was no longer available when I would click on it. Now, the link is gone and it says "scheduling is not available" or something to that effect. That change was within the last 48 hours, just not sure when.

I'm not doing this to pick on you, sorry it'll come off that way though. Your post is a fairly typical SDN post for this kind of stuff, though.

There is absolutely a way to say whether one exam over or under predicts, but no one bothers doing it properly. It's not hard, either. Just take the difference of the given NBME with the actual score and sum this across all observations- the direction of the sum, negative or positive, will say whether the form tends to under or over predict.

It's somewhat odd how quickly all these med students, researchers, and scientists try to generalize ideas from single cases: it's really silly to see one persons UWSA scores (or even NBMEs), regardless that it's both forms, and say that UWSA are now predictive because this kid had his match the real deal. Eyeballing a bunch of scores or looking only at one case by itself because it catches our attention isn't the way to answer this question.

Again, sorry it's your post in particular, but it's bizarre how many people on this forum think like this.

Your post is also typical for someone who thinks they know something about statistics and lectures others while being wrong. Over a data set of thousands of scores, yea it's possible to say NBME 15 for example tends to over/under predict by let's say 7 points. Yet, there will be many who don't have it underpredict by 7 points, and have it overpredict. At the individual level this is significant, because nobody cares how nbme 15 predicted for the population but how it's going to predict for them, which is entirely individual dependent.

The example I highlighted was someone who got 241 on both UW assessments and then got a 241 on the real deal. That goes against the claim that UW assessments being huge over predictors, which may be true as it applies to the data set as a whole. But at the individual level, you just don't know where you are on that curve.

Hopefully that helps!!

Thank you guys for all the advice, I'm gonna try to synthesize a well rounded 2 week hustle and just push through. Definitely doing UWSA2 followed by NBME18 a couple days before the real thing, have to figure out where I put the rest. Doing NBMEs may not be predictive, but realistically its all we have as students to experience what the examiners want from us - so I'm gonna try to do the most relevant ones for sure.

GREAT luck to everyone sitting today!

Keep these updates coming. A lot of interested people.

Your post is also typical for someone who thinks they know something about statistics and lectures others while being wrong. Over a data set of thousands of scores, yea it's possible to say NBME 15 for example tends to over/under predict by let's say 7 points. Yet, there will be many who don't have it underpredict by 7 points, and have it overpredict. At the individual level this is significant, because nobody cares how nbme 15 predicted for the population but how it's going to predict for them, which is entirely individual dependent.

The example I highlighted was someone who got 241 on both UW assessments and then got a 241 on the real deal. That goes against the claim that UW assessments being huge over predictors, which may be true as it applies to the data set as a whole. But at the individual level, you just don't know where you are on that curve.
You're also forgetting that he took USWA1 and UWSA2 two weeks apart, so while his first score did match the real deal, at the time, it over-predicted.

Reactions: 1 users

image+%281%29.png

Yikes well first off I'm definitely a she, but second I was just trying to share an anecdote of how my scores worked out -- I think the point, as said above, is that even if for the population as a whole, practice test x is an underpredictor and y is an overpredictor, that's not necessarily true for individuals. Some people score way higher than expected and some way lower. It's probably safest and a good idea to assume you'll fall in line with what is true for the population, but I shared my story as an example to say that it's not always the case that UWSA overpredict by 10+ points, and to not give up if you aren't getting the results you want on NBMEs because it's certainly possible you'll perform better than expected on the real deal. The converse is obviously also true, but that wasn't my experience, so I can't speak to that.

Reactions: 2 users
I still had the link to the permit for a while, but it said the permit was no longer available when I would click on it. Now, the link is gone and it says "scheduling is not available" or something to that effect. That change was within the last 48 hours, just not sure when.

Okay, cool cool. I guess the only thing we can do is sit back and be miserable for the next 24 hours while anticipating the infamous email.

Your post is also typical for someone who thinks they know something about statistics and lectures others while being wrong.
I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with someone over the internet. As I mentioned before, it's nothing with you personally, I even apologized to you in the post, but I guess you're a tad sensitive-- very prideful. Again, sorry it was your post specifically. If you don't like my stats advice, you don't need to take it. Your opinion on what I know doesn't matter, so I'm not going to try to defend what I know or don't know to you.
Over a data set of thousands of scores, yea it's possible to say NBME 15 for example tends to over/under predict by let's say 7 points.
You don't need thousands of data points with representative sampling. There are also many other ways to determine under or over prediction than the suggestion I offered, but eyeballing and using single cases is one of the least scientific and least methodologically sound options available. You can use it if you want, but it's not going to serve you well.

Yet, there will be many who don't have it underpredict by 7 points, and have it overpredict.
Congratulations, you understand sampling variation and the difference between an average or group's parameter value and individual values...

At the individual level this is significant, because nobody cares how nbme 15 predicted for the population but how it's going to predict for them, which is entirely individual dependent.
Right-- this is actually why people who know statistics argue that medicine needs to start incorporating more Bayesian statistical methods because the traditional Frequentist methods aren't typically geared towards answering questions for the individuals or single cases as they focus more on long run result without statements for individuals (which seems to be what you want). Your method of eyeballing a score is neither and can't be used with any measure of reliability that you would find in an actual methodology. Again, use it if you want.

The example I highlighted was someone who got 241 on both UW assessments and then got a 241 on the real deal. That goes against the claim that UW assessments being huge over predictors, which may be true as it applies to the data set as a whole.
Thank you so much for pointing that out! It's an incredibly useful observation (although I don't recall making the assertion that UWSA over or under predicts, especially in an absolute manner, which is the only thing your "piece of evidence" would be useful for refuting). It's just as useful as the observation you'd make for every single person who took a UWSA before there test, and it would change quite frequently, not to mention it's always going to be an after the fact statement (which doesn't help people much before the exam...). It seems like a pretty meaningful observation. I don't know how I didn't see that before:claps:

But at the individual level, you just don't know where you are on that curve.
What a powerful conclusion, you really know your stats! You forgot to tell us that the question you were trying to answer on an individual level, not on average, as you noted, could be answered with some Bayesian methods, maybe even a couple Frequentist ones, too, although you have different perspectives with either school of thought. You probably knew that, though, and were waiting to enlighten us all. Since I spoiled the surprise for you, maybe you could share with us the specific Bayesian or Frequentist method you'd prefer to use to answer the question? Sharing your vast knowledge would be far more beneficial than picking a fight and flexing your internet muscles...

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with someone over the internet. As I mentioned before, it's nothing with you personally, I even apologized to you in the post, but I guess you're a tad sensitive-- very prideful. Again, sorry it was your post specifically. If you don't like my stats advice, you don't need to take it. Your opinion on what I know doesn't matter, so I'm not going to try to defend what I know or don't know to you.
You don't need thousands of data points with representative sampling. There are also many other ways to determine under or over prediction than the suggestion I offered, but eyeballing and using single cases is one of the least scientific and least methodologically sound options available. You can use it if you want, but it's not going to serve you well.

Congratulations, you understand sampling variation and the difference between an average or group's parameter value and individual values...

Right-- this is actually why people who know statistics argue that medicine needs to start incorporating more Bayesian statistical methods because the traditional Frequentist methods aren't typically geared towards answering questions for the individuals or single cases as they focus more on long run result without statements for individuals (which seems to be what you want). Your method of eyeballing a score is neither and can't be used with any measure of reliability that you would find in an actual methodology. Again, use it if you want.

Thank you so much for pointing that out! It's an incredibly useful observation (although I don't recall making the assertion that UWSA over or under predicts, especially in an absolute manner, which is the only thing your "piece of evidence" would be useful for refuting). It's just as useful as the observation you'd make for every single person who took a UWSA before there test, and it would change quite frequently, not to mention it's always going to be an after the fact statement (which doesn't help people much before the exam...). It seems like a pretty meaningful observation. I don't know how I didn't see that before:claps:

What a powerful conclusion, you really know your stats! You forgot to tell us that the question you were trying to answer on an individual level, not on average, as you noted, could be answered with some Bayesian methods, maybe even a couple Frequentist ones, too, although you have different perspectives with either school of thought. You probably knew that, though, and were waiting to enlighten us all. Since I spoiled the surprise for you, maybe you could share with us the specific Bayesian or Frequentist method you'd prefer to use to answer the question? Sharing your vast knowledge would be far more beneficial than picking a fight and flexing your internet muscles...

I stopped at "not going to get into a pissing contest with someone over the internet" being followed by 6 paragraphs. Nobody cares bro.

Reactions: 5 users
Man. Test on Thursday and I had a bunch of setbacks over the weekend (girlfriend graduated from her masters program, helped her move, etc). Feeling pretty nervous about what's looming! I'm thinking of doing a UWSA today and the free 120 tomorrow. Otherwise, some UW and FA reading. Should I be incorporating Pathoma in the last two days? Maybe a few drug classes in Sketchy...

Man. Test on Thursday and I had a bunch of setbacks over the weekend (girlfriend graduated from her masters program, helped her move, etc). Feeling pretty nervous about what's looming! I'm thinking of doing a UWSA today and the free 120 tomorrow. Otherwise, some UW and FA reading. Should I be incorporating Pathoma in the last two days? Maybe a few drug classes in Sketchy...
I feel you, my wife started a new job in the middle of my dedicated and I have 2 sons in high school. It hasn't been ideal, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I am not scheduled until next Friday, but my plan is to work on my weak areas (micro, immuno) and review Pathoma. I heard the first 3 chapters of Pathoma are good to go over again.
Good luck.

Kind of you to ask :) Definitely feeling better and leaning towards yesterday being a fluke - for some reason I was just feeling really nervous and unfocused on the uworld test, which has not been an issue in the past. Felt a lot more focused and relaxed taking the NBME this morning. Going to see what my advisor says when I talk to her in a bit, but if she thinks I can be reasonably confident of a 210ish I'm going to go for it. I feel like I'm starting to get to the point where my anxiety is getting the better of me and I'm losing more knowledge than I'm gaining. I think I just need to make sure I don't psych myself out the day of the exam - take the day before off and do some fun stuff with my family, maybe get up a little early the day of and exercise to work out some of the nervous energy, etc.

Keep those nerves in check! You know more than you think you do and you should just trust yourself. I had a similar issue on my last NBME where I just couldn't get into it for the first 2 blocks. I think it dug me a pretty big hole to start off with, but I recovered in the 3rd and 4th section. I'm going to go through and see what the breakdown difference was.

Good luck!

Any topic in particular you're having issues with? I might be able to help - there's usually just a general rule of how to handle a certain type of situation, and then there's a common exception that makes the answer something different. This and behavioral science is literally the only topic I'm consistently above the 80th percentile in lol
Its more of just the uworld questions which are based on some article on general topics (like discussing advanced directives or discussing risks of smoking)

Its more of just the uworld questions which are based on some article on general topics (like discussing advanced directives or discussing risks of smoking)

If you have the 2017 FA and have the time, the section about biostats/study designs/ethics is a good and quick read.

I feel you, my wife started a new job in the middle of my dedicated and I have 2 sons in high school. It hasn't been ideal, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I am not scheduled until next Friday, but my plan is to work on my weak areas (micro, immuno) and review Pathoma. I heard the first 3 chapters of Pathoma are good to go over again.
Good luck.

That's a good idea. I should review those chapters. I also can't keep germ tumors straight to save my life; I should watch those, too.

For advanced directives, recent is better. Generally, statement by the decisionally capable patient > advanced directive/legal document by the patient > power of attorney > spouse/parent (if minor) > other family/friend. And remember that comfort care will be provided regardless of whether life-saving measures are continued.

Unrelated: I need some last minute review for physiology, esp. cardio. Anybody have any good resources? For physio so far I have just used FA, UWorld, and BRS.
Thanks. I actually just reviewed physio, and really thought BRS was the best for it. You dont think BRS helped?

Picmonic

Sketchy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Picmonic
Picmonic is so overkill in my opinion. What makes Sketchy the better product is its subtle associations to everyday items that flow. Example, Sketchy would have catalase positive organisms depicted next to a cat. But Picmonic makes rudimentary associations that require thinking and even more memory than just putting the info on an Anki card and hammering it home. Example, TTP has thrombocytopenia, anemia, fever, etc... To depict thrombocytopenia they would say "Trombone (thrombo), a side of a toe (cyto), and a peanut (penia)." Little overkill if you ask me. Might work if you started it in first year tho.

I'm taking it this coming Monday; my NBME 16 this morning was 213. For context, based on where I stand within my class, my career goals, and my performance in my courses, I will be happy with 200+, shooting for 215, and completely thrilled with 220+.

I think you're in great shape. You got this!

Also, I'm about to finish my first pass of Uworld this week. I am currently about 3 weeks until D-day. For those who did their incorrects / a 2nd pass of Uworld, how many questions were you doing per day during this time in your studies? During my first pass, I've been doing 80 UW Questions a day which takes me about 6-7 hours to do (1 hour to take it, 2-2.5 hours to review the questions). However, this hasn't left that much time for content review in FA + Pathoma, which I want to improve upon.