USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I took step 1 on 4/24 and got my score this morning. I wanted to share my experience because I have been following this thread since I started studying and have found it helpful.

Practice tests were taken in this order:
NBME 18 = 192 (required to take a newer NBME at my school to get a baseline)
NBME 13 = 211
NBME 15 = 221
UWSA 1 = 241
NBME 19 = 215
UWSA 2 = 232
NBME 16 = 221
Free 120 = 80%

Actual score = 237 (roughly an average of UWSA 1 + UWSA 2)

Resources used: UFAPS (Sketchy micro and path) + Anki (I made my own flashcards for questions I got wrong on UWorld)

I know my score isn't amazing, but I'm satisfied because I think it could've been worse given how I was doing on NBMEs.
Wow this is an amazing score. I'm hitting these numbers right now and would be absolutely elated to get an actual score like yours. I just finish NBME 16 and still have NBME 17,18,19 and UWSA2 to go with 2 weeks left. Can you give some advice on what to do the last 2 weeks before the exam? Have 20% of Uworld left averaging 77% and still haven't read First Aid yet. Just annotated it with Uworld and jumping around. Also any advice/experience on test day? Thank you and congratulations.

I took step 1 on 4/24 and got my score this morning. I wanted to share my experience because I have been following this thread since I started studying and have found it helpful.

NBME 13 = 211
NBME 15 = 221
UWSA 1 = 241
NBME 19 = 215
UWSA 2 = 232
NBME 16 = 221
Free 120 = 80%

Resources used: UFAPS (Sketchy micro and path) + Anki (I made my own flashcards for questions I got wrong on UWorld)

I know my score isn't amazing, but I'm satisfied because I think it could've been worse given how I was doing on NBMEs.

Congrats!!! Will you please share your timeline? How many weeks between nbme's?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everything you said, however this is up for discussion. I think the people that really get all of those questions right end up with the super-duper stellar scores (268, 271, etc)

This is SDN....take those comments with a grain of salt

See Dr Ben White's blog on this topic of SDN "250" Step 1 Scores:

If you were to read posts from high-performing students on studentdoctor.net, for example, you would have found the fastest way to experience survivorship bias: people who work insanely hard, do well, and then post their over-the-top methods (the SDN “average” is almost 250). These methods always seem to work. The failures (using the same methods or others) are rarely present. It causes a conflation of the individual student and the methods that they use.
Where are all of the SDN commenters from 1-2 months ago who swore up and down about their brilliant strategies for getting 260 with FA, Pathoma and blowing off textbooks/lectures due to their YOLO schema?

Dr. Ben White has some really good advise.

Finished Uworld and Rx and I still have ~4 weeks to exam day. Should I keep doing NBMEs weekly + FAP and sketchy or should I buy Kaplan Qbank?

I'm not settling for a below average score because I know it's fine for my career goals, I'm being a realist in regards to what I can reasonably achieve in comparison to my classmates. My aim is to do as well as I can possibly do. I'm working as hard and as smart as I can - I wouldn't be doing anything differently if I thought I was capable of getting a 250.

My MCAT was below 30. I'm in the bottom half (likely quarter) of my class. I have gotten honors in 3 courses out of about 20 and failed one (though there were some major personal circumstances at play there), with an average score of 75-80% on my exams. None of these facts suggest that it's realistic for me to be scoring above average on boards. I'm not saying that's a bad thing or makes me dumb or anything - I'm pretty happy with being on the middle to bottom end of a really smart group of people. Regardless, at this point, I'm less than a week out from my test and getting burned out quickly, and will start classes again shortly - so it's not like I have a ton of free time to do more studying.

Bottom line: I'm not slacking off because I know I can based on my career goals. I'm trying as hard as I can, and these are the results. And that's fine with me.
First, congratulations on the success that you have received so far in medical school. I think that it's great that you know who you are and where you want to be when you are done.
I get that cellsaver is trying to motivate you to achieve more and that is admirable, but this is your path. I encourage you to make your decision based on all the advice you've gotten so far. Also, if your school is like mine there must be a compelling reason to delay the test. If you have passing marks on your NMBEs, my school wouldn't allow a student to push the date back (we have a cutoff of May 31st).
Good luck to you, and I hope you keep us posted.

I mean no offense when I ask..why? There is really nothing special about them. why not be on par with them or exceed them?

You may or may not know my story. It's on the non-traditional SDN forum. you know I am an immigrant, English is not my first language, I was also the first in my family to graduate from high school, and more....

But you also know you can push back your exam date, unless if you feel another 4-8 weeks will do nothing for you. The academic dean at my school is a huge believer in the ability of an medical student to pull up their Step 1 score in 4 weeks by doing UW.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just feel you are selling yourself short

that's all

I'm not sure why you are giving CJ a hard time. The average score for Step 1 is a 229. That means 50% of medical students taking Step 1 score below it. There's nothing wrong with a 220, especially if you are mainly interested in primary care. Obviously, you never want to sell yourself short, and you want to do the best you possibly can. But that doesn't mean you need to push off your test date until you can score a 240+.... I understand this is SDN where most of the users score very high, but that in reality is a smaller percentage than the "average Joe" scoring a 229.

Thank you! For various reasons, I really don't think pushing it back at this point will help my score by much even though I have some wiggle room. My school's academic advisor who literally does this for a living and knows my academic history fully agrees with my decision, so I'm going to take her advice and just go for it.
Sounds like good advice. Your recent scores look good for getting the score you want, if not higher.
I'm in a different boat, I'm only about 75% of the way through FA and 75% through UWorld. Multiple factors made it difficult to find study time during my dedicated.
As a result, my UWSA and NMBE have a range of about 20 points. If it's weighted more towards what I have covered, I do well. Otherwise I still pass.
I also spoke to my advisor and was told to push through. It would be nice to have more time to finish my resources, but it's okay.

CJ....a friend of mine graduated from a medical school in the Deep South years ago and had the same career goals as you have. He wanted to work in rural areas, did an away rotation in Montana with the Crow Indians, and loved it. Fast forward to 20 years later, he is desperate to be recognized by the profession as having more skill sets than what he learned as a GP. He is married, has 4 kids, and has tried everything to get his foot into the door with other medical specialties so as to be employed at an ER or some other revenue driven area. He can't market himself to get a better paying career and quality of life because his skill sets are so shallow. Plus his board scores were below the national mean.

While I understand you would be happy with a 220 score due to your goals, once that score is registered, it is fixed forever. It follows you to your grave. Don't change your focus as to rural medicine. But if you aim for a score that lets you squeak by, it might very well haunt you down the road when you want to develop other skill sets and try to return for further medical training. I've know a few physicians who switched specialities down the pike, but those board scores...they carry a lot of heft.

just saying!

We understand you're trying to motivate him but just realize. Happiness is about perspective and the way you look at the world. I can guarantee you most of these guys that are switching their careers will never be satisfied. They will switch again. A FM doc in rural montana can be happier than an orthopedicdermatoradiologist in California. Getting super competitive residencies and specialties won't make people happy. It's all about perspective.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if that's better than seeing new questions is the problem :\

I honestly could not remember any questions except for the ethics ones which were pretty easy question , but I still had to think pretty hard on round two. Kaplan was weird. A lot of super small stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

NBME 13 = 211
NBME 15 = 221
UWSA 1 = 241
NBME 19 = 215
UWSA 2 = 232
NBME 16 = 221
Free 120 = 80%

Congrats fam!!! The score IS amazing. You were a solid number above the average. Plus I had similar practice exam scores (screw NBMEs!) and I'll be thrilled to land your score. This scoring delay is brutal...

Also, I'm surprised there aren't more people posting their scores!

Reactions: 1 users
I can guarantee you most of these guys that are switching their careers will never be satisfied.

You haven't a clue about real life. Talk to me when you're married, have 4 kids, have been a physician for 20+ years, and then maybe your "guarantee" will mean something. For now, most millennials can't even sustain an intimate face/face relationship, never mind comment on another's marriage

you kids on the internet think you rule the world...from your keyboards. cracks me up

Congrats man. What was your timeline like for your NBMEs?

Absolutely. This is when I took the NBMEs/UWSAs before test day:
NBME 18 = 6 weeks before
NBME 13 = 20 days before
NBME 15 = 15 days before
UWSA 1 + NBME 19 (practice full-length) = 11 days before
UWSA 2 + NBME 16 (practice full-length) = 7 days before
Free 120 = 5 days before

I wanted to do 2 practice full-length tests so I could work on my endurance and force myself to push through the fatigue on actual test day.

Wow this is an amazing score. I'm hitting these numbers right now and would be absolutely elated to get an actual score like yours. I just finish NBME 16 and still have NBME 17,18,19 and UWSA2 to go with 2 weeks left. Can you give some advice on what to do the last 2 weeks before the exam? Have 20% of Uworld left averaging 77% and still haven't read First Aid yet. Just annotated it with Uworld and jumping around. Also any advice/experience on test day? Thank you and congratulations.

Thank you! I don't like giving recommendations because everyone studies differently, but I will share my personal experiences. I planned my schedule so during the last 2 weeks, I was doing a practice test every 4 days. Then in between days with practice tests, I was reviewing practice tests, going through my UWorld incorrects, and doing my Anki flash cards. I only had 1 pass through FA and I considered making a second pass through FA, but I didn't feel like I was absorbing anything by passively reading so I decided to focus on doing questions/flash cards.

This was my personal experience on test day. The day before test day, I studied in the morning and took the rest of the day off to relax. On test day, I packed my usual snacks/lunch. I decided to take a short 5 min break after every section to go to the restroom and get some sips of water or tea and bites of a snack. At my testing center, signing in and signing out didn't take too long. PC screens hurt my eyes (I'm used to Mac screens) and affect my ability to focus for long periods of time. I wore sweats for comfort and a light jacket in case it was cold. Between blocks 5 and 6, I decided to take a 15 mins lunch. I ultimately still had ~15 mins of break leftover because I didn't do the tutorial.

I don't really have any recommendations for test other than do what works best for you. Some people like to do 2 sections and then take a break so they can have longer breaks and a longer lunch. I didn't check or use my phone at all during the test. I drove to the test center the day before so I knew where it was.

Reactions: 3 users
MgDP4us.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
You haven't a clue about real life. Talk to me when you're married, have 4 kids, have been a physician for 20+ years, and then maybe your "guarantee" will mean something. For now, most millennials can't even sustain an intimate face/face relationship, never mind comment on another's marriage

you kids on the internet think you rule the world...from your keyboards. cracks me up
Just because I offered you a dissenting opinion doesn't mean you have to go all crazy and insult me. Welcome to America where people are allowed to have opinions.

Last edited:

You're just a delight to have around

Reactions: 8 users
More revealing is your bogus answer to the Pulmonary Embolism question you "answered" incorrectly

fix it.

Wow. You're an dingus who has way too much time on their hands fighting with "millennials." Shouldn't you be taking the higher road as a non millennial and show us how it's done? You must be a pleasure to work with.

Reactions: 2 users

Well, are you also one who can comment on what a physician of 20 years may or may not think? You contradicted yourself a bit there lol

Guys, need some help. Im currently doing Uworld again and I keep getting Physio and Pathophys qs wrong.... Esp the Cardio Graphs and LV end diastolic pressure and volume stuff like that even when I read the explanations I still DONT get whats going on... Its really ruining my whole momentum.... Any advice on how to improve these sections esp Phys... Ive done FA and Pathoma multiple times but still cant get a hang of it... Thank you..

Guys, need some help. Im currently doing Uworld again and I keep getting Physio and Pathophys qs wrong.... Esp the Cardio Graphs and LV end diastolic pressure and volume stuff like that even when I read the explanations I still DONT get whats going on... Its really ruining my whole momentum.... Any advice on how to improve these sections esp Phys... Ive done FA and Pathoma multiple times but still cant get a hang of it... Thank you..
Had same issue

Go for YouTube imo

I totally understand, 2nd pass incorrects are serious momentum killers. May I recommend the Khan Academy? If you continue to get physio wrong despite reading UWorld explanations, it kinda hints at a content gap. I can honestly say that (just like path histo) if you have a strong physio foundation, then you can reason out almost any question. Whenever I truly get the same topics wrong over and over again, I watch a foundational video for them. For topics like cardio circulation, I HIGHLY recommend the khan academy. At the very least this one: Understanding the pressure-volume loop

It shouldn't take too long if you narrow in on where you're going wrong, and watch topic specific physio videos. Its all about the basics here imo. And if all else fails, for the pressure volume loop: inc. P(reload) makes the loop wider to the right because the curvy part of P protrudes out laterally to the right; inc. A(fterload) makes the loop tAll and skinny because A is tall and skinny; and inc. C(ontractlity) kind of does variations of both ... but for the sake of boards it makes the loop wider to the left because the curvy part of C curves more on the left #DIT

I totally understand, 2nd pass incorrects are serious momentum killers. May I recommend the Khan Academy? If you continue to get physio wrong despite reading UWorld explanations, it kinda hints at a content gap. I can honestly say that (just like path histo) if you have a strong physio foundation, then you can reason out almost any question. Whenever I truly get the same topics wrong over and over again, I watch a foundational video for them. For topics like cardio circulation, I HIGHLY recommend the khan academy. At the very least this one: Understanding the pressure-volume loop

It shouldn't take too long if you narrow in on where you're going wrong, and watch topic specific physio videos. Its all about the basics here imo. And if all else fails, for the pressure volume loop: inc. P(reload) makes the loop wider to the right because the curvy part of P protrudes out laterally to the right; inc. A(fterload) makes the loop tAll and skinny because A is tall and skinny; and inc. C(ontractlity) kind of does variations of both ... but for the sake of boards it makes the loop wider to the left because the curvy part of C curves more on the left #DIT

Out of curiosity who the hell is scoring
constant hundreds on their second pass?

More revealing is your bogus answer to the Pulmonary Embolism question you "answered" incorrectly

fix it.
As if everything needs to be one of those novels you write in your responses. You're oblivious to the fact that you're not actually helping anyone. Clearly the guy was struggling conceptually with the problem, and instead of linking to 5 textbooks and telling the guy to go waste his limited time reading, I provided a brief, conceptual way to think about what he was struggling with. He already knew most of what he needed, but he just wasn't thinking about one aspect of it in the correct way that would be needed to answer a step 1 question about it. Also, I would like you to point out where my explanation was incorrect. Sure it wasn't a complete thesis on acid-base states following PE, but again that's not what the dude was asking for. He already understood the process, just needed a small tweak in his thinking. Its literally impressive how oblivious you are.

When you're studying for step 1, you don't have the luxury of time to spend chasing answers to questions by reading blocks of text from a textbook. Because you would end up spending too much time on one topic, and end up neglecting others. When you're studying for step 1, you are studying to SCORE WELL on the test, you are NOT studying to be a doctor at that time. That's why so many people use the First Aid book that you hate so much. With all of your impressively advanced knowledge, you probably can't appreciate the struggle of an average medical student.

I think my original comment toward you still stands. Just SUCH a treat to have you here.

Fully expecting your butthurt response to be a 12 page essay with 1" margins and sources cited in MLA format. You'll probably be mad and you'll probably come up with all sorts of ways to bash me for all sorts of reasons, but I'm just going to go ahead and say that I don't give a damn what you think.

Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:
NBME 18 = 6 weeks before
NBME 13 = 20 days before
NBME 15 = 15 days before
Free 120 = 5 days before

I wanted to do 2 practice full-length tests so I could work on my endurance and force myself to push through the fatigue on actual test day.

Thank you! I don't like giving recommendations because everyone studies differently, but I will share my personal experiences. I planned my schedule so during the last 2 weeks, I was doing a practice test every 4 days. Then in between days with practice tests, I was reviewing practice tests, going through my UWorld incorrects, and doing my Anki flash cards. I only had 1 pass through FA and I considered making a second pass through FA, but I didn't feel like I was absorbing anything by passively reading so I decided to focus on doing questions/flash cards.

This was my personal experience on test day. The day before test day, I studied in the morning and took the rest of the day off to relax. On test day, I packed my usual snacks/lunch. I decided to take a short 5 min break after every section to go to the restroom and get some sips of water or tea and bites of a snack. At my testing center, signing in and signing out didn't take too long. PC screens hurt my eyes (I'm used to Mac screens) and affect my ability to focus for long periods of time. I wore sweats for comfort and a light jacket in case it was cold. Between blocks 5 and 6, I decided to take a 15 mins lunch. I ultimately still had ~15 mins of break leftover because I didn't do the tutorial.

I don't really have any recommendations for test other than do what works best for you. Some people like to do 2 sections and then take a break so they can have longer breaks and a longer lunch. I didn't check or use my phone at all during the test. I drove to the test center the day before so I knew where it was.

Awesome. Thanks.

For those of you watching at home.

"Practice tests were taken in this order
NBME 13 = 211
NBME 15 = 221
UWSA 1 = 241
NBME 19 = 215
UWSA 2 = 232
NBME 16 = 221
Free 120 = 80%

Actual score = 237 (roughly an average of UWSA 1 + UWSA 2)"

Reactions: 4 users
This has probably already been answered, but on the real exam, can you mark and go back to questions (in a way identical to UWorld)? From what I understand, you can only go back to questions within the block of 40 that you are currently on. Is this correct?

When I am doing UWorld I am trying to figure out how to maximize my time so knowing exactly how the real exam is going to be will help!

ACTION: user account placed on hold for multiple violations including this one over the last few days

Reactions: 14 users
Thank you guys !!!! the Khan academy videos are awesome and ill look up the boards and beyond and anki asap as well. Going to give NBME 15 next Saturday want to get over my weaknesses once before that... Got 203 in NBME 13 a week ago. 8 weeks left. Pumped !!

NBME 13 = 211
NBME 15 = 221
UWSA 1 = 241
NBME 19 = 215
UWSA 2 = 232
NBME 16 = 221
Free 120 = 80%

Dude you got 16 points higher than your last NBME! That's amazing! Congrats man!

Dude you got 16 points higher than your last NBME! That's amazing! Congrats man!

I feel like thats a trend I've been noticing.

People are like 10 points higher than their NBMEs and 5 points lower than their UWSA.

Completely unsubstantiated by science, but anyone else notice this?

I feel like thats a trend I've been noticing.

People are like 10 points higher than their NBMEs and 5 points lower than their UWSA.

Completely unsubstantiated by science, but anyone else notice this?

My hypothesis:

More SDNers take NBME practice tests > higher average scores on practice tests > tougher curves > SDNers killing the real exam against non-SDNers.

Plausible?

nice

My Step 1 is scheduled for July 5. Here is what I have done so far:

Boards and Beyond for my First Aid review (1x)
Pathoma (1-2x with classes and finishing it again within the next 3 days or so)
1/2 of USMLERx Qbank
1/3 of UWorld (timed, random) ~71% average

My plan: After finishing up Pathoma by the end of this week, I am going to continue doing 80 UWorld questions a day, while also using Boards and Beyond to go over FA again and hit my weak areas. Also, every day I will read a chapter of BRS physiology.

I am planning on finishing UWorld and then going back over my incorrect and flagged questions again (I would like to do the entire bank again, but won't have time), along with the UWorld SA and a few NBME starting next month. Can anyone give me any feedback on this? Anything you think I should change?

Also, our school is giving us a practice full length Kaplan exam at the end of this month.

My hypothesis:

More SDNers take NBME practice tests > higher average scores on practice tests > tougher curves > SDNers killing the real exam against non-SDNers.

Plausible?

I don't think this is as likely since the test isn't "curved" as exams might have been in undergrad (only top 10% get an A, for example). The scaling works differently. It's probably more of a function of people on SDN being in an echo chamber with respect to what study aids to use and how to approach the exam (one person says X helped, now 10 SDNers use that advice and do better on the particular NBME practice forms). I'd imagine there's more variation in study methods outside of SDN, but there's also less neuroticism and machine-like drive to study and do well.

Also have to keep in mind that every practice exam is taken during a prep period for many people, so they appear to "under predict" for those individuals.

I have noticed, again without and real rigor in the assessment, that it seems UWSA scores seem a bit more accurate so far, but I wouldn't take much in that statement without seeing more concrete numbers.

NBME 18 = 6 weeks before
NBME 13 = 20 days before
NBME 15 = 15 days before
Free 120 = 5 days before

Did you find that doing a combined NBME w/ UWSA back to back helped your endurance on test day? Was it worth it?

My Step 1 is scheduled for July 5. Here is what I have done so far:

Boards and Beyond for my First Aid review (1x)
Pathoma (1-2x with classes and finishing it again within the next 3 days or so)
1/2 of USMLERx Qbank
1/3 of UWorld (timed, random) ~71% average

My plan: After finishing up Pathoma by the end of this week, I am going to continue doing 80 UWorld questions a day, while also using Boards and Beyond to go over FA again and hit my weak areas. Also, every day I will read a chapter of BRS physiology.

I am planning on finishing UWorld and then going back over my incorrect and flagged questions again (I would like to do the entire bank again, but won't have time), along with the UWorld SA and a few NBME starting next month. Can anyone give me any feedback on this? Anything you think I should change?

Also, our school is giving us a practice full length Kaplan exam at the end of this month.
Looks good. Make sure you're thoroughly reviewing those Uworld questions because 80 questions/day is a lot.