USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
To anyone feeling discouraged, I started off with my school administered CBSE of a 194 last month on the 17th. Just took UWSA 1 after going through most of UW (30% left on my first pass with 60% correct), 1 pass off pre-test physiology (daunting and long), did all BRS questions for biochem, genetics, molecular/cell/histo, did all of Goljian recommended Robbins Q's for all systems, and reviewed all my UW notes yesterday.

UW SA 1 = 241 (I know its an over-reach on the score, but I'm remaining optimistic).

***Note FA "readers:" I was on the FA-reading train for a while and it got me a barely passing score on CBSE (notice how I didn't say I read FA during this time?) I have realized that its passive learning. The only REAL way of improving your score is to do a MASSIVE amount of questions. Also, if you really could, find a study partner (local) that you can meet up with in the library and study with. If you are like me and like to get side-tracked, I would highly suggest this strategy for remaining focused and on task.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
To anyone feeling discouraged, I started off with my school administered CBSE of a 194 last month on the 17th. Just took UWSA 1 after going through most of UW (30% left on my first pass with 60% correct), 1 pass off pre-test physiology (daunting and long), did all BRS questions for biochem, genetics, molecular/cell/histo, did all of Goljian recommended Robbins Q's for all systems, and reviewed all my UW notes yesterday.

UW SA 1 = 241 (I know its an over-reach on the score, but I'm remaining optimistic).

***Note FA "readers:" I was on the FA-reading train for a while and it got me a barely passing score on CBSE. I have realized that its passive learning. The only REAL way of improving your score is to do a MASSIVE amount of questions. Also, if you really could, find a study partner (local) that you can meet up with in the library and study with. If you are like me and like to get side-tracked, I would highly suggest this strategy for remaining focused and on task.
i agree and disagree, if you understand the context behind the bullet point you are good. but questions for sure

i agree and disagree, if you understand the context behind the bullet point you are good. but questions for sure

Solid foundation is required in the general sense. However, I did all of Bros deck with the majority of it matured. It just doesn't add up to a barely passing score on CBSE. I noticed that something was off and I needed to fix it. For the most part, FA is down in my brain. But, why didn't my score match up? So, that's why I'm making these blanketed remarks (I know won't apply to everyone); BUT I feel it just isn't enough to get through questions AND rote memorizing FA in 6 weeks, so I picked MCQ's (I'm at 3,500 w/out including UW). I plan to go through all the corresponding BRS Physio MCQ's as well. I might do Harrison's for the weaker topics (depending on how ambitious I am)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the encouragement! Idk if you saw my previous post in this thread, but I was really just rattled about the uworld score I got yesterday (181, which was a significant drop from the upward trend I was having before that). But after the nbme this morning, I really am feeling like I just got too much in my head. Just gotta go in with a good mindset and I think I'll be in good shape.

Which topics were your worst areas?

Biochem and cardio are consistently bad for me. Physio's weak but getting there. Everything else has been decent/improving.

Gotcha'. Try to be very analytical in your reviewing of questions. If for example you get a genetics integration question incorrect, notate the topic (lab practice/biotechnology) and try to find a question source that gives you really hard questions in this area and do them over and over again. Biochem is a BOAT-load of memorization. So, even if you can I would suggest maybe doing 1 hour a day of biochem memorizing or if that's not your cup-of-tea, look into Dr. Najeeb for extremely detailed explanations.

Cardio is the grand-daddy! One of the most frequently combined systems. It literally can be combined with almost any discipline. You'll see this in all Qbanks including UW. Start from scratch, read BRS and follow it up with their MCQ's, then test yourself even further by doing Pre-test's MCQ's in Cardio. Then, read RR by Goljian and follow it up with Robbins MCQ's. Rinse and repeat that entire process 3x and you will be SO much more confident in Cardio.

Solid foundation is required in the general sense. However, I did all of Bros deck with the majority of it matured. It just doesn't add up to a barely passing score on CBSE. I noticed that something was off and I needed to fix it. For the most part, FA is down in my brain. But, why didn't my score match up? So, that's why I'm making these blanketed remarks (I know won't apply to everyone); BUT I feel it just isn't enough to get through questions AND rote memorizing FA in 6 weeks, so I picked MCQ's (I'm at 3,500 w/out including UW). I plan to go through all the corresponding BRS Physio MCQ's as well. I might do Harrison's for the weaker topics (depending on how ambitious I am)
Why do you feel bros didn't work? I'm doing bros ATM and this is worrying. It has worked for a lot of people.

Edit: which version did you do?

Why do you feel bros didn't work? I'm doing bros ATM and this is worrying. It has worked for a lot of people.

Not saying it won't work for you. I regret using a blanketed statement to describe Bro's deck/Anki spaced repetition. Its a fantastic resource to build the INITIAL frame-work for establishing your success on the types of questions you will see on STEP 1 or NBME. However, I felt like I had all these facts and information caveats that I had no-idea how to apply them clinically which is what this test is all about. USMLE really can care less what you have memorized. However, lets be real here, there is a TREMENDOUS amount of information that needs to be memorized. But I would say memorizing takes lots of time and energy/brain-power. I personally didn't feel like I had the time to continue my Anki-reviewing, all the while getting exposed to complex clinical scenarios that may give me issues on D-Day. If you can incorporate Anki into your day and really do lots and lots of MCQ's (in addition to UW) from other sources who are "too-detailed," then great! Keep in mind, you have a limited time to pull this off. You'd be wise to not repeat the mistakes of others in thinking that knowing facts is equivalent to understanding facts.

Response to your edit: I wasn't aware that there were "versions"

Not saying it won't work for you. I regret using a blanketed statement to describe Bro's deck/Anki spaced repetition. Its a fantastic resource to build the INITIAL frame-work for establishing your success on the types of questions you will see on STEP 1 or NBME. However, I felt like I had all these facts and information caveats that I had no-idea how to apply them clinically which is what this test is all about. USMLE really can care less what you have memorized. However, lets be real here, there is a TREMENDOUS amount of information that needs to be memorized. But I would say memorizing takes lots of time and energy/brain-power. I personally didn't feel like I had the time to continue my Anki-reviewing, all the while getting exposed to complex clinical scenarios that may give me issues on D-Day. If you can incorporate Anki into your day and really do lots and lots of MCQ's (in addition to UW) from other sources who are "too-detailed," then great! Keep in mind, you have a limited time to pull this off. You'd be wise to not repeat the mistakes of others in thinking that knowing facts is equivalent to understanding facts.

Response to your edit: I wasn't aware that there were "versions"
Yea how were you doing on uworld? If you did that. Yea there are a couple versions. The newest one is the one with the black background. Did you have the white or black?

Lol Can we all just get along?
rodneyking.jpg

Rodney King slams SUV into house, breaks pelvis
…..was convicted of spouse abuse in 1999 in San Bernardino County and was sentenced to 90 days in jail and four years' probation.

I appreciate the encouragement! Idk if you saw my previous post in this thread, but I was really just rattled about the uworld score I got yesterday (181, which was a significant drop from the upward trend I was having before that). But after the nbme this morning, I really am feeling like I just got too much in my head. Just gotta go in with a good mindset and I think I'll be in good shape.
Good luck. I am in a similar boat and I am scheduled to take it next Friday.
I accepted that I would not get to focus completely on studying for step 1 (family). Not a full pass of FA, and only 76% done w/ UWorld. I thought I was doing okay w/ a UWSA1 of 228 a week and a half ago. Got a 78% on the Free120, then dropped by ~20 points on NBME 15 & 16. Gonna take NBME 18 and UWSA 2 in the next week.
My plan is to do Pathoma one more time and review micro & immuno in FA.

Yea how were you doing on uworld? If you did that. Yea there are a couple versions. The newest one is the one with the black background. Did you have the white or black?

I have the white background. Where can I find the black background

Yep, sounds familiar lol - I also got 79% on the free 120 (at the testing center) right before my score dropped off. FWIW my advisor told me that a lot of students are getting lower scores on the NBMEs compared to uworld, at my school and other schools as well.

Have you checked out the High Yield series immuno book? I absolutely love HY for embryo. Just skimmed through the immuno book, but it looks a little more robust than the FA chapter - 75 pgs of with relatively sparse text/bullet points. I might read through that for my immuno review as well.
Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't truly reviewed immuno yet, so I was going to just do the FA Express videos for that and micro. Supplement some Bros for active recall.
Did you finish UWorld?

Yes/sort of. I've been doing 2 passes through my wrong answers - I do the questions, then annotate into FA, then come back to it a couple days later and am typing up notes on my wrong answers that I review and quiz myself on for a little bit every day. So I've completed all the questions and annotated into FA a few days ago, but I'm still wrapping up the second pass.
Sounds like you're all set and have a solid plan for success.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sketchy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Picmonic
Picmonic is so overkill in my opinion. What makes Sketchy the better product is its subtle associations to everyday items that flow. Example, Sketchy would have catalase positive organisms depicted next to a cat. But Picmonic makes rudimentary associations that require thinking and even more memory than just putting the info on an Anki card and hammering it home. Example, TTP has thrombocytopenia, anemia, fever, etc... To depict thrombocytopenia they would say "Trombone (thrombo), a side of a toe (cyto), and a peanut (penia)." Little overkill if you ask me. Might work if you started it in first year tho.

Woah, woah, woah! Haha

I was only talking about germ cell tumors since that's what he was asking for. I am a huge Sketchy fan and use that for both micro/pharm. I agree that Picmonic is overkill, but it is gold for the storage diseases and keeping track of some of the buzz words for different kinds of cancers.

I'm taking it this coming Monday; my NBME 16 this morning was 213. For context, based on where I stand within my class, my career goals, and my performance in my courses, I will be happy with 200+, shooting for 215, and completely thrilled with 220+.

Just curious, what do you want to do?

I stopped at "not going to get into a pissing contest with someone over the internet" being followed by 6 paragraphs. Nobody cares bro.
I meant I wasn't going to engage in a pissing contest with regards to credentials since you were saying I didn't know what I was talking about. Instead, I gave you the six paragraphs as a chance for you to engage in a logical discussion and contribute something of value rather than being a keyboard warrior. If no one cares, that's okay with me (I don't hang a hat of pride on my SDN reputation:rofl:), but you sure seemed to care by engaging me directly after I said my comment wasn't specific to you.

It's pretty clear that you didn't actually know what you were talking about, otherwise it would have been just as "easy" for you to reply with some sort of substance to anything in my post. Remember, although it's uncomfortable sometimes, it's okay to admit when we don't know things. Keep fighting the good fight!:banana:

Just wanted to ask a dumb question.... How many qs can be afford to get wrong per 40q block on the real thing to get a 240+. I know its highly variable but an estimate wont hurt lol.

Just wanted to ask a dumb question.... How many qs can be afford to get wrong per 40q block on the real thing to get a 240+. I know its highly variable but an estimate wont hurt lol.
Really doubt anyone can give you a proper estimate.

Impossible to say definitively or even as an estimate. NBME doesn't divulge the manner in which it determines how questions are held against you. I SUSPECT it's a weighted system that allocates quality points for questions you get right which have different values based on difficulty. Another part of my theory is the way in which they assign pointing systems, they allocate the mean points towards those topics they need you to know prior to being directly involved in patient care so you don't kill anyone.

Thus there are topics that are heavily talked about in board prep materials that nobody should get wrong if they did an honest amount of studying. Which would propel you into the mean (theoretically)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Impossible to say definitively or even as an estimate. NBME doesn't divulge the manner in which it determines how questions are held against you. I SUSPECT it's a weighted system that allocates quality points for questions you get right which have different values based on difficulty. Another part of my theory is the way in which they assign pointing systems, they allocate the mean points towards those topics they need you to know prior to being directly involved in patient care so you don't kill anyone.

Thus there are topics that are heavily talked about in board prep materials that nobody should get wrong if they did an honest amount of studying. Which would propel you into the mean (theoretically)

This theory is pretty out there. It's most likely that every question is worth the exact same with some minority (maybe 8-12%?) being experimental and being worth nothing. Your theory kind of gets in the way of what makes "standardized testing" what it is.

This theory is pretty out there. It's most likely that every question is worth the exact same with some minority (maybe 8-12%?) being experimental and being worth nothing. Your theory kind of gets in the way of what makes "standardized testing" what it is.
You know what gets me annoyed about these experimental questions...I'm wasting my time on trying to answer them, which is taking away time from questions that actually matter. Of course we have no idea what's experimental or not, so i guess ignorance is bliss in that regard

The way scoring on USMLE STEP 1 most likely works is as follows:

All questions you get were given as experimentals several times to different pools of test takers. The statistics regarding %who got it right vs. %who got it wrong for those questions are used to compute a difficulty rating for each of the questions. On your exam you get say 280 questions. Say 40 are experimental. Therefore 240 count towards your score. Each of those questions has its own individual difficulty rating, computed by the test makers via the aforementioned technique. The difficulty ratings of all of your questions is averaged. That rating is used to generate a "curve" or standardization for your test. This is then used to finally compute your score.

Now your questions actually come from a pool of 20,000 questions. NBME essentially makes sure you get a nearly random set of 280 questions. However, to ensure that you get a certain number in every topic, all of the topics have a minimum number of questions that NEED be asked for them. For example, "pathology" probably has the highest minimum and something like biochem would have a lower minimum. Hope this makes sense

Also questions, where say under 15% got it right and there were only 5 choices, are probably thrown out. This is because it is hard to tell if people got it right because of luck or knowing the answer.

Reactions: 6 users

LOL ... Makes perfect sense. Getting 7-8 wrong per block on Uworld on my second run........ More than a month to go... Just wanted to know how im doing. Thank you.

The way scoring on USMLE STEP 1 most likely works is as follows:

All questions you get were given as experimentals several times to different pools of test takers. The statistics regarding %who got it right vs. %who got it wrong for those questions are used to compute a difficulty rating for each of the questions. On your exam you get say 280 questions. Say 40 are experimental. Therefore 240 count towards your score. Each of those questions has its own individual difficulty rating, computed by the test makers via the aforementioned technique. The difficulty ratings of all of your questions is averaged. That rating is used to generate a "curve" or standardization for your test. This is then used to finally compute your score.

Now your questions actually come from a pool of 20,000 questions. NBME essentially makes sure you get a nearly random set of 280 questions. However, to ensure that you get a certain number in every topic, all of the topics have a minimum number of questions that NEED be asked for them. For example, "pathology" probably has the highest minimum and something like biochem would have a lower minimum. Hope this makes sense

Also questions, where say under 15% got it right and there were only 5 choices, are probably thrown out. This is because it is hard to tell if people got it right because of luck or knowing the answer.
Sounds just about right !!!!!!!!!!! Thank you..

I agree with everything you said, however this is up for discussion. I think the people that really get all of those questions right end up with the super-duper stellar scores (268, 271, etc)

I just don't understand how people do like 100 pages of FA and 2-3 blocks of Uworld a day. I notice i'm lucky to get through like 30-40 pages and a block or maybe two of uworld on really productive days. what am i doing wrong smh. i must be slower than i thought and i don't have time to be slow lol anxiety central

Reactions: 3 users
I just don't understand how people do like 100 pages of FA and 2-3 blocks of Uworld a day. I notice i'm lucky to get through like 30-40 pages and a block or maybe two of uworld on really productive days. what am i doing wrong smh. i must be slower than i thought and i don't have time to be slow lol anxiety central

It takes me a about 8 hours to get through 80 questions. I know what you mean.

Reactions: 1 users
man the curve on nbme 12 sucks. 86.5% and still only 236. must be from people cheating and inflating scores :/
im guessing you are doing that offline since its not offered anymore and all the curves in for each nbme has changed, just like the curve for the step has changed. I dont think theres a way to cheat on the step

I took it on 4/24 (the date it was supposed to get pushed back) and I just checked my schools "academic summary" for me and I did receive my score. I nearly passed out. The NBME site still says score unavailable.

Yeah I got the percent and found some people with similar scores to those percents. Tbh I found it to be a lot tougher than 13 or 15. How's nbme 18? My school provided that one for free, so ill be taking it online in 2 weeks.
cant comment on 18 but from 12-16 ive had an upward curve. I did as well, i found myself missing super easy questions on 15 just because i didnt read the question , i was finishing blocks really fast so ive been working on slowing down and its helped

For my dedicated study time I did ~30 pages FA per day and 2 blocks (80q total) of UWorld. Anything more than that (for me) meant I was rushing and not absorbing enough of it.

I'm taking it this coming Monday; my NBME 16 this morning was 213. For context, based on where I stand within my class, my career goals, and my performance in my courses, I will be happy with 200+, shooting for 215, and completely thrilled with 220+.

Hey can you please share what % correct you got for a score of 213 on NBME 16?
Thanks

@Nucleus Accumbens

I have friends that broke 250 doing only UFAP and sketchy micro and friends that swore by anki and never opened FA. The anki person went through all of UWorld, but thought it was a bit of a waste towards the end and felt that their time would have been better spent doing anki...

It depends on how you learn. One of my friends went through FA 6 times over dedicated and knew it cold. He said he could picture tables etc when he was taking the exam and there was stuff he got right only because of FA.

Reallllllyyyyy depends on how you learn. Also, sticking to doing something works better than jumping around. I have an issue with the latter. I'm still improving, but I think my friends are right that I'd be doing better if i picked a couple of things and stuck with it instead of jumping around.

The point is that you figured out what works best for you. And that is bloody fantastic. Gitttt itttt!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I took step 1 on 4/24 and got my score this morning. I wanted to share my experience because I have been following this thread since I started studying and have found it helpful.

Practice tests were taken in this order:
NBME 18 = 192 (required to take a newer NBME at my school to get a baseline)
NBME 13 = 211
NBME 15 = 221
UWSA 1 = 241
NBME 19 = 215
UWSA 2 = 232
NBME 16 = 221
Free 120 = 80%

Actual score = 237 (roughly an average of UWSA 1 + UWSA 2)

Resources used: UFAPS (Sketchy micro and path) + Anki (I made my own flashcards for questions I got wrong on UWorld)

I know my score isn't amazing, but I'm satisfied because I think it could've been worse given how I was doing on NBMEs.

Reactions: 23 users
I took step 1 on 4/24 and got my score this morning. I wanted to share my experience because I have been following this thread since I started studying and have found it helpful.

NBME 13 = 211
NBME 15 = 221
UWSA 1 = 241
NBME 19 = 215
UWSA 2 = 232
NBME 16 = 221
Free 120 = 80%

Resources used: UFAPS (Sketchy micro and path) + Anki (I made my own flashcards for questions I got wrong on UWorld)

I know my score isn't amazing, but I'm satisfied because I think it could've been worse given how I was doing on NBMEs.
now i wouldnt say that, its still good. congrats on finishing man

NBME 13 = 211
NBME 15 = 221
UWSA 1 = 241
NBME 19 = 215
UWSA 2 = 232
NBME 16 = 221
Free 120 = 80%

Congrats man. What was your timeline like for your NBMEs?