USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
The only reason I mention it is because it's shorter than an NBME, and still shows some correlation to step scores regardless the difficulty.
I took it yesterday at Prometric and it was okay. The estimated score (% x 2.68 + 11= step 1 correlation) was right between my UWSA1 and NBME15, the only other tests I've taken so far in dedicated.

Can you take it online, not at the prometric center?

Back in feb the NBME announced that examinees sitting between April 24th and the end of May would all get their scores around June 28th. And that questions would be rotated in/out as well.

I see. I wonder why they would delete the announcement? What other reason other than they might be able to meet the normal time frame?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took step 1 today! I felt like it was 95% material from FA/Pathoma and some 5% random stuff that sounded familiar probably from class.

If you're taking it soon, be sure to study the ethics/behavioral, biostats, and rapid review sections of FA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Just took step 1 today! I felt like it was 95% material from FA/Pathoma and some 5% random stuff that sounded familiar probably from class.

If you're taking it soon, be sure to study the ethics/behavioral, biostats, and rapid review sections of FA.

how many questions do you think were on ethics and biostats? Were they in FA?

Congrats on finishing!

Gratz on being done!
Breakdown of gimmee/medium/hard/insane hard questions?

Reactions: 1 user
% x 2.68 + 11 has this been pretty predictive for people who have got their score back for the free nbme test?

It's from here:
Someone graphed the results from one of these threads a couple years ago.
There's another formula from here: from last year that uses more scores, but the y-intercept is a lot larger.
I use the first because it predicts that a score of 67.85% on the Free 120 would pass step 1, while the second equation would have a 35.69% score as passing.
Both are heavily skewed to higher scorers (SDN and reddit user self reporting), so it may not be very accurate for lower scores.

I don't remember how many biostats/ethics/behavioral Qs specifically but there was a good amount. FA was sufficient.

It generally felt fair but was tiring.

I don't remember how many biostats/ethics/behavioral Qs specifically but there was a good amount. FA was sufficient.

It generally felt fair but was tiring.

What about drug side effects? That stuff is killing me right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's from here:
Someone graphed the results from one of these threads a couple years ago.
There's another formula from here: from last year that uses more scores, but the y-intercept is a lot larger.
I use the first because it predicts that a score of 67.85% on the Free 120 would pass step 1, while the second equation would have a 35.69% score as passing.
Both are heavily skewed to higher scorers (SDN and reddit user self reporting), so it may not be very accurate for lower scores.

Every time people try to figure this out this is all out, Randy comes to mind.

Reactions: 1 users
kind of wanted to do this myself, but unfortunately doesn't look like any dates are available near me i don't think. anyone know if it's worth checking often to see if anything opens up?

Not likely this close to rotations. Most people in freak out mode changed their exam dates already.

I've actually seen a few dates open up. I saw a spot open up for the date I would switch if I were to switch, but it was gone a few minutes later. Sooooo.....

I've actually seen a few dates open up. I saw a spot open up for the date I would switch if I were to switch, but it was gone a few minutes later. Sooooo.....

yeah it's rough. the way I see it, is 3-4 days really going to be the difference maker for me? i'm not too sure

yeah it's rough. the way I see it, is 3-4 days really going to be the difference maker for me? i'm not too sure

Not really. People keep forgetting that step 1 doesn't give a rats a** about memorization. Sure there are a few here and there that require rote memorization. But that's just part of the equation. If you don't know how to apply those memorized facts into clinical scenarios then it's not gonna make a difference if you had 4 more days

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone found any utility from reading the pathoma text if you've watched the videos a few times? Mine expires before my exam and I'd like to get another pass of the videos if possible, but will probably not have the time to do all of it.

Not really. People keep forgetting that step 1 doesn't give a rats a** about memorization. Sure there are a few here and there that require rote memorization. But that's just part of the equation. If you don't know how to apply those memorized facts into clinical scenarios then it's not gonna make a difference if you had 4 more days

Sometimes the 'mental' feeling of having done more helps, but yeah, you're right. I'll know more after my next NBME I guess.

Ugh I need to stop taking nbmes when im tired after multiple blocks of uworld. did not use logic and got 81% on the free 117. smh

Did you miss 3 questions?

Has anyone found any utility from reading the pathoma text if you've watched the videos a few times? Mine expires before my exam and I'd like to get another pass of the videos if possible, but will probably not have the time to do all of it.

I think reading the Pathoma text is perfectly fine if you've seen the videos already. There are even many sections that I just read the text for on purpose since it's faster than watching the actual video (Example: Dr. Sattar explaining the Coagulation pathway - once you know it, you don't need to watch him draw it out for you multiple times).

Sometimes the 'mental' feeling of having done more helps, but yeah, you're right. I'll know more after my next NBME I guess.

Did you miss 3 questions?

I feel like the first 3-4 chapters are definitely worth rewatching cuz he explains these concepts so well whereas his book just lists facts. And I felt like his videos contain way more explanations and details that his book doesn't have. And those details are pretty important too.

Welp, I guess I'm going to try cramming in another run through of pathoma. I definitely agree that the first few chapters are probably worth rewatching while notes and text for the others may suffice.

Dankeeee!

Hey All,

Just chiming in. I'm taking it in a few days. Just trying to get in as much as I can before the big Day. So far:

Kaplan Q bank (around 2K done)- 78% avg
UW (random, 1st pass)- 81% avg

NBME 13 (baseline)- 240 (when 50% completed UW)
NBME 15- 257
NBME 16-255
NBME 17- 241
NBME 18- 248
NBME 19- 255
UWSA2- 250

Good luck to all! Just trying to do my best at this point- whatever happens after that, happens.

Reactions: 4 users
just took my first practice test as I just started dedicated a few days ago. UWSA 1 must be stupidly over-inflated because there's no way my baseline is a 243

I think UWSA2 is a bit more accurate. From what I'm seeing, NBMEs under-predict and UWSAs over-predict. So using those as your lower and upper limits respectively, your score should be somewhere in-between.
I've also heard that if you travel to the State of Louisiana, there is a gypsy that lives in the bayous. Legend says that if you offer her 10 years post residency in a rural part of America, she will pay of your loans and give you a 260 step score

Reactions: 15 users
I haven't been on SDN since starting med school, but I thought I'd chime in with my Step experience in case it helps someone lurking :) I was very nervous about my practice test scores and felt like I knew the material better than my scores were reflecting, but luckily the real deal worked out well for me.

Baseline, 4.5 weeks before test, NBME 16: 215
2.5 weeks before test, NBME 17: 217 (<-- really panicked right about here, couldn't figure out why I hadn't gone up)
2 weeks before test, UWSA1: 241
1.5 weeks before test, NBME 18: 228
1 week before test, NBME 19: 223
6 days before test, UWSA2: 241
Overall UWorld, first pass, started Day 1 of dedicated, random untimed: 70% (though steadily climbing throughout dedicated)
Real score: 241

Very happy with how things turned out, despite feeling very uncertain that I was going to even break 230s -- by the time I got my score, I was just hoping for 225+. I'm 97% sure I'm pursuing peds, which isn't particularly competitive, so I feel really relieved and confident headed into MS3.

Good luck to those still waiting to take Step and to get your scores back! Hopefully this helps someone out there :)

Reactions: 18 users
I haven't been on SDN since starting med school, but I thought I'd chime in with my Step experience in case it helps someone lurking :) I was very nervous about my practice test scores and felt like I knew the material better than my scores were reflecting, but luckily the real deal worked out well for me.

2.5 weeks before test, NBME 17: 217 (<-- really panicked right about here, couldn't figure out why I hadn't gone up)
Overall UWorld, first pass, started Day 1 of dedicated, random untimed: 70% (though steadily climbing throughout dedicated)

Very happy with how things turned out, despite feeling very uncertain that I was going to even break 230s -- by the time I got my score, I was just hoping for 225+. I'm 97% sure I'm pursuing peds, which isn't particularly competitive, so I feel really relieved and confident headed into MS3.

Good luck to those still waiting to take Step and to get your scores back! Hopefully this helps someone out there :)
UWSA2 looks pretty accurate from this @Nucleus Accumbens

Wow, UWSA 1 241, UWSA 2, 241, Actual Score 241.

So much for all the uworld overpredicting. There is no way to say one exam over or under predicts, people may as well stop trying to assign practice exams any value and just use them as tools.

Reactions: 4 users

here's to hoping for a similar experience for myself. awesome job and congrats

Does anyone ever wonder WHY UWorld is such an accurate and predictive bank that correlates so well to performance on step 1? It's a separate entity who has no affiliation to NBME or USMLE. My conspiracy theory senses are kickin'

Hi I got the exact same score on NBME 15 today and have just about 2 weeks left to go. Can you give me some advice on what to do the last 2 weeks. I have about 20% of Uworld left.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this! Its so refreshing to see someone post who didn't have a baseline of 230 to begin with - gives average joes like me a lot more hope. Long time lurker here and I'm at that 2 week panic point you mentioned. I'm not really sure what to do with my two weeks to "optimize" them - I'm 82% through UWorld (~75%), did UWSA1 two weeks ago with 210 (baseline) and NBME-16 2 days ago with a 220. I feel torn between doing at least 4-5 more NBMEs orrr going through FA again to memorize obscure factoids (especially the FA Biochem/Genetics) or considering the clinically oriented shift of the NBME - should I go through a Step2 FA?

Kind of just looking for advice (from anyone tbh) regarding how to not waste the next two weeks thinking about the exam, but rather spend this time doing something about it.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this! Its so refreshing to see someone post who didn't have a baseline of 230 to begin with - gives average joes like me a lot more hope. Long time lurker here and I'm at that 2 week panic point you mentioned. I'm not really sure what to do with my two weeks to "optimize" them - I'm 82% through UWorld (~75%), did UWSA1 two weeks ago with 210 (baseline) and NBME-16 2 days ago with a 220. I feel torn between doing at least 4-5 more NBMEs orrr going through FA again to memorize obscure factoids (especially the FA Biochem/Genetics) or considering the clinically oriented shift of the NBME - should I go through a Step2 FA?

Kind of just looking for advice (from anyone tbh) regarding how to not waste the next two weeks thinking about the exam, but rather spend this time doing something about it.

IMHO, you're doing fine! That's a fantastic UW percentage. However, I do think the NBMEs require a different style of "thinking" I guess? Like, you have to try and get inside their heads to see what they expect of you. I would do as many NBME's as you can. You will see a pattern of questions/answers and how they expect you to approach certain questions. I think your UW % tells me that your knowledge base is solid (i mean obv, still continue to review weak points and what not). Hope this helps.

Had a question for people out there- D-day is tomorrow. Anyone know of a good CT/MRI image site for like last minute stuff? That's consistently been my weak spot. Thanks!

I would not switch to another first aid just 2 weeks prior.
I took the exam on May 1st, and my honest opinion is that it doesn't resemble anything, specially not nbmes . But you should still do nbme 18 or 19 to get a sense of your knowledge base. And also because I got 2 questions from nbme 19 (exact picture, exact vignette).
If I were you I'd focus on reading FA

Had a question for people out there- D-day is tomorrow. Anyone know of a good CT/MRI image site for like last minute stuff? That's consistently been my weak spot. Thanks!

If you can Boards and Beyond has good CT images. But it would be hard to go through it at this point.

Anyone have any advice on prometric centers in California. Which ones to stay away from. Which ones to go to? Preferably bay area/northern california?

I'm in roughly exact same position as you. Got a 215 on NBME 16 just yesterday and 2 weeks till D-Day. I plan to finish Uworld do incorrects, read FA cover to cover and do Pathoma. Reassess every week with another NBME. So NBME 17 Sunday. Then NBME 19 week after that. Few days before I'll do NBME 18 and then the Free 120. Reviewing these NBMEs will be key incase they repeat. You never know. It can push guys like us into the 230s.

Update for people who took test on/after 4/24 (the supposed date after which score reports will be delayed):

My friend took his exam on 4/24, and his scheduling permit disappeared today. So it appears that the score reporting delay may not be in effect, at least for people who took the test on 4/24. Good luck to everyone anticipating receiving their scores this week.