USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey,
Has anyone noticed that they have removed the announcement of the usmle about the delay in score reporting.... unless I am lookin gin the wrong place... does this mean that scores will still come at 3-4 weeks post taking the exam?
Yeah noticed that the announcement is gone too. Wonder if it has any significance

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,
Has anyone noticed that they have removed the announcement of the usmle about the delay in score reporting.... unless I am lookin gin the wrong place... does this mean that scores will still come at 3-4 weeks post taking the exam?
Thanks for the info. I just checked yesterday and it was still there, but it's gone now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chronic lurker here,

These threads were like the methadone to my step 1 anxiety, so figured I'd finally contribute.

School cbse (3 months before exam): 205
Nbme 13 (3 weeks): 228
Nbme 18 (2 weeks): 248
Nbme 16 (10 days): 240
Nbme 17 (7 days): 246
Free 120 (2 days): 87%

Should note that for nbme 16, nbme 17 and free 120, I broke it up into blocks and took some blocks on dif days (i.e. Was too lazy to do a full nbme on these days :whistle:)
...so these scores might be inflated due to lack of fatigue.

Real Score: 250

Final verdict: nbmes underestimated for me...so they must also for everyone else :laugh:

Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone, here's my 2c=

NBME CBSE - 187 (51 days til)
NBME 15 - 190 (38 days) *start of dedicated 7 weeks*
NBME 18 - 209 (30)
NBME 19 - 219 (23)
NBME 17 - 228 (16)
UWSA 2 - 241 (12)
UWSA 1 - 243 (8)

USMLE - 239

I actually took a gamble and moved my test date up 5 days (due to consistently getting within my goal range) and I'm so happy I did :) I got to spend extra time with my fiance (we live in different states) and since I'm aiming for internal med, I wasn't feeling the pressure to get a 250+.

My advice? Trust your NBMEs (they are a great resource) and review your incorrect answers (handwrite them if you have to) so they become correct answers the next time you see them :)

Reactions: 9 users
Hey,
I hope so! The wait is agonizing...

I was hoping for that too and my form was nothing like the NBMEs; not even close.
Yeah, I didn't think the questions were comparable to the nbme's at all. Almost every vignette was the same length as UW vignettes, whereas nbme vignettes are much shorter and less convoluted.

NBME 18 - 209 (30)
NBME 19 - 219 (23)
NBME 17 - 228 (16)
UWSA 2 - 241 (12)
UWSA 1 - 243 (8)

USMLE - 239

I actually took a gamble and moved my test date up 5 days (due to consistently getting within my goal range) and I'm so happy I did :) I got to spend extra time with my fiance (we live in different states) and since I'm aiming for internal med, I wasn't feeling the pressure to get a 250+.

My advice? Trust your NBMEs (they are a great resource) and review your incorrect answers (handwrite them if you have to) so they become correct answers the next time you see them :)

Can you tell us how you improved so consistently from 190 to 240s in roughly a month??

Hi everyone, I don't normally post on here but I do follow it and it has helped me a lot these past few months! I just received my score and I am pretty disappointed.

I barely passed with <200. I'm not sure what happened because I scored <225 on NBME 18 and <235 on UWorld 1 and UWorld 2. I had a 68% first pass, timed, random sets on UWorld.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on matching into a decent peds/IM program with this score and if you know of other people who have done so.

You are not alone my brother, UWSA2 over predicted by one full standard deviation for me. No idea what happened on the real deal... dark times are upon us but we must endure

NBME 18 - 209 (30)
NBME 19 - 219 (23)
NBME 17 - 228 (16)
UWSA 2 - 241 (12)
UWSA 1 - 243 (8)

USMLE - 239

Great improvement, congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can, but it will be marked as an "unauthorized break" and will likely be reported on your score report as irregular behavior.
So what if you have unexpected massive diarrhea? Is that irregular for them ?

Reactions: 1 users
You can, but it will be marked as an "unauthorized break" and will likely be reported on your score report as irregular behavior.

Yes, that's true. GUYS- please be VERY CAREFUL on exam day. During the exam I started writing all the formulas and things I wanted on my marker board. I was also trying to relax and prepare mentally before answering questions. Before I knew it, a warning appeared that if I don't click ahead I will get an unauthorized break. This scared the hell out of me because I knew what this meant- irregular behavior on the transcript. I think that adrenaline rush was a greaaat start haha, I guess it helped.

@Joanna1987
What exactly did you study in last 8 weeks of your prep? TIA.

I went through FA and PATHOMA 2 or even 3 times + NBME 19, 18 and 17 (went thru questions) and UW incorrect ones.

I truly believe that FA and PATHOMA in the last 2 weeks helped me the most.
I had SO MANY questions straight from PATHOMA, it's insane.

Oh, I also read CVS and resp physiology. Just to have concept fresh.

Do you guys think taking NBME 19 is useful if I am looking to evaluate my improvement over the last couple of weeks? I still have 5 weeks till exam and I've taken NBME 17 and 18 already, with a 210 to 225 jump. I am just skeptical to take NBME 19 and was wondering if taking NBME 16 would be a better representation of actual improvement. I'll be taking UWSA 1/2 closer to my actual exam date.

Do you guys think taking NBME 19 is useful if I am looking to evaluate my improvement over the last couple of weeks? I still have 5 weeks till exam and I've taken NBME 17 and 18 already, with a 210 to 225 jump. I am just skeptical to take NBME 19 and was wondering if taking NBME 16 would be a better representation of actual improvement. I'll be taking UWSA 1/2 closer to my actual exam date.
from what people say , it under predicts.

Yes, that's true. GUYS- please be VERY CAREFUL on exam day. During the exam I started writing all the formulas and things I wanted on my marker board. I was also trying to relax and prepare mentally before answering questions. Before I knew it, a warning appeared that if I don't click ahead I will get an unauthorized break. This scared the hell out of me because I knew what this meant- irregular behavior on the transcript. I think that adrenaline rush was a greaaat start haha, I guess it helped.

Wow...good to know thanks!

And can I eat during each of my breaks between blocks? Or am I only allowed to eat during a designated lunch break?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I went through FA and PATHOMA 2 or even 3 times + NBME 19, 18 and 17 (went thru questions) and UW incorrect ones.

I truly believe that FA and PATHOMA in the last 2 weeks helped me the most.
I had SO MANY questions straight from PATHOMA, it's insane.

Oh, I also read CVS and resp physiology. Just to have concept fresh.

To go off of this, do you think that it's best to spend most of your time on FA / Pathoma during the last 1-2 weeks before the exam than on Uworld / NBMEs? I'm currently on pace to finish my first pass of Uworld about 2.5 weeks before my exam date. Will be taking an NBME / UWSA about once a week until my test date. My thinking is that there's plenty of stuff in Pathoma and First Aid that is relatively straightforward, but easy to mess up on Exam day if you haven't reviewed it in a while or simply don't have confidence in your knowledge of it.

To go off of this, do you think that it's best to spend most of your time on FA / Pathoma during the last 1-2 weeks before the exam than on Uworld / NBMEs? I'm currently on pace to finish my first pass of Uworld about 2.5 weeks before my exam date. Will be taking an NBME / UWSA about once a week until my test date. My thinking is that there's plenty of stuff in Pathoma and First Aid that is relatively straightforward, but easy to mess up on Exam day if you haven't reviewed it in a while or simply don't have confidence in your knowledge of it.

I'd go with hammering FA and Pathoma.
If you know concepts (I'm assuming you do), this is what will be the best for you.
I did it and it helped me a lot.
I di 7 hours of FA/Pathoma and 3-4 of Uworld/NBMEs in the last 2 weeks.

I would take 16.

19 when you feel confident and know that you have improved.

I would take 16.

19 when you feel confident and know that you have improved.

Thanks! Why does everyone seem to agree that NBME 19 is not a really good indicator of preparedness (and that it often under-predicts)? Is it super easy or something? I wonder why the scale is so messed up.

So... I took NBME 16 today. Feeling pretty down. Started off at a baseline of 180. Took practice tests just about every week.
NBME 18 175
NBME 15 185
UWSA1 215

UWSAs tend to over predict, but I felt good that I saw the score marching steadily upwards. I already pushed my test date back by a week and I test one week from today. NBME 16 today I only got a 205. Kinda crushed that I haven't hit another 215 or higher. Really don't know what to do in the last week. Feels really ****ty. Not sure if Pathoma or FA is the best use of my time, that an finish up UW.

Edit: I may end up taking UWSA2 on Monday. See if that can help boost my confidence going into it.

would you say the same for using 19 as a first one? would i be better off doing a UWSA or earlier NBME? thanks!

Thanks! Why does everyone seem to agree that NBME 19 is not a really good indicator of preparedness (and that it often under-predicts)? Is it super easy or something? I wonder why the scale is so messed up.

I'd do other NBMEs first.
I'm not really sure why it's off.
It's not easy or easier than the other ones. On the contrary, I found it pretty difficult. I think it's related to the scale that hasn't been regulated yet.
I bought NBME 19 and went through the questions without getting a score. I didn't want to get scared etc.
If you have other NBMES, do them first.

I'd do other NBMEs first.
I'm not really sure why it's off.
It's not easy or easier than the other ones. On the contrary, I found it pretty difficult. I think it's related to the scale that hasn't been regulated yet.
I bought NBME 19 and went through the questions without getting a score. I didn't want to get scared etc.
If you have other NBMES, do them first.

Joanna. Girl go get your drink onnnnn. Celebrate!! I think we had the same/very very similar exams and we both scored well above our overall averages. Yayyyy us. Now go get ****ed uppppp and offff sdn :)

Joanna. Girl go get your drink onnnnn. Celebrate!! I think we had the same/very very similar exams and we both scored well above our overall averages. Yayyyy us. Now go get ****ed uppppp and offff sdn :)

I already did! haha.
Gonna continue this weekend ;) Studying for CK now. Yeah, I know, it sucks :p

Congrats on your perfect score! :))

So... I took NBME 16 today. Feeling pretty down. Started off at a baseline of 180. Took practice tests just about every week.
NBME 18 175
NBME 15 185
UWSA1 215

UWSAs tend to over predict, but I felt good that I saw the score marching steadily upwards. I already pushed my test date back by a week and I test one week from today. NBME 16 today I only got a 205. Kinda crushed that I haven't hit another 215 or higher. Really don't know what to do in the last week. Feels really ****ty. Not sure if Pathoma or FA is the best use of my time, that an finish up UW.

Edit: I may end up taking UWSA2 on Monday. See if that can help boost my confidence going into it.
Did you take the free 120? I just took it today, it's just 3 blocks. You can do it online for free from NBME.

Can you tell us how you improved so consistently from 190 to 240s in roughly a month??

My secrets:
1. instead of studying entire chapters of FA at a time, I broke them up into smaller sections (ex. CV + renal path, biochem part I, embryo/anatomy - first organ half) so I didn't get bored and saw the material multiple times and not necessarily "in order" [the exam doesn't care about your order] If I didn't understand something, I would watch First Aid Express videos if I had time
2. The UWorld Journal: How I Scored a 263 on the USMLE Step 1 <I did this, but handwritten. Go through NBMEs and UWorld blocks and handwrite the concepts that you got wrong. Review them once a week (I did before I took my NBMEs)
3. I went through Pathoma 3 times (once video only, once video + textbook notes, once textbook only). I love Dr. Sattar's smooth voice and it helped me do well on path. I usually spent 2+ hours at night listening to his videos at 1.4 or 1.7 speed.
4. I worked my ass off the first two weeks (I covered all of First Aid). The next two weeks, I predominantly went through questions (UWorld, FA Q+A book). Any questions I got wrong, I added annotations/highlights into First Aid. The last week and a half I reviewed the FA High Yield, the sections of FA that were covered in multiple annotations, and my journal

Reactions: 2 users
I'm honestly considering moving my test back to the last day possible before rotations start. It will likely make the start of 3rd year hellish, but I think the extra 4 days would likely help. I'll make the call in a week or two. Oy vey.

Anyone have any advice on raising my UW%? I guess for starters I probably shouldn't take them at 3am and I probably should spend more time per question, but I inevitably get around a 60% every time and can't seem to bump up.

I'm honestly considering moving my test back to the last day possible before rotations start. It will likely make the start of 3rd year hellish, but I think the extra 4 days would likely help. I'll make the call in a week or two. Oy vey.
Dude, your profile gif honestly makes me laugh so hard! Need that in times of stress ;)

kind of wanted to do this myself, but unfortunately doesn't look like any dates are available near me i don't think. anyone know if it's worth checking often to see if anything opens up?

I really hope the removal of the score delay announcement means we're back to 3-4 weeks...

anyone receive their score after the change in test pool?
This past week was up to April 23rd. So if there is actually NOT a delay in scoring, April 24th people are this coming week. Otherwise late June with the rest of us May people.

What announcement?
Back in feb the NBME announced that examinees sitting between April 24th and the end of May would all get their scores around June 28th. And that questions would be rotated in/out as well.

Did you take the free 120? I just took it today, it's just 3 blocks. You can do it online for free from NBME.

I haven't taken it yet. I know I need to in order to figure out the stethoscope thing, but I'm apprehensive as to what the score would do to my confidence. I've seen on reddit a lot of people reporting back saying that their form was much harder than the free 120.

Test is definitely harder than the Free 120 which I thought was pretty easy. That said, they are representative of a large portion of the the test...just the ratio of hard/easy ones is not accurate.

I haven't taken it yet. I know I need to in order to figure out the stethoscope thing, but I'm apprehensive as to what the score would do to my confidence. I've seen on reddit a lot of people reporting back saying that their form was much harder than the free 120.
The only reason I mention it is because it's shorter than an NBME, and still shows some correlation to step scores regardless the difficulty.
I took it yesterday at Prometric and it was okay. The estimated score (% x 2.68 + 11= step 1 correlation) was right between my UWSA1 and NBME15, the only other tests I've taken so far in dedicated.