Official 2017-2018 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone heard from allegheny? are they interviewing outside candidates this year?
Nope. Have not heard from them. I want a refund if they are only accepting internals though haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
UAB (8/18)

AMGs
7/19: Duke
7/20: Cincinnati
7/22: UMissouri-Columbia
7/24: Lehigh Valley, UF-Jacksonville
7/25: Vanderbilt, Cincinnati
7/26: UTSW, UVA
7/26: OHSU
7/27: MGH
7/28: Mayo Rochester
7/28: UVermont
7/31: VCU, Rutgers-RWJMS
8/1: OHSU, Colorado, URochester, Hopkins
8/2: Henry Ford-WSU, UNC, Yale, Hopkins
8/3: Georgetown, Wake Forest, Jackson Memorial Miami
8/4: Cedars-Sinai, Georgetown
8/7: Emory, Ohio State, BU, MGH, Florida-Gainesville
8/8: Brigham
8/9: Georgetown, WVU, UCLA, NYU, University of New Mexico, Wake Forest
8/10: Pittsburgh, Michigan, Brigham, UChicago, UCLA
8/11: MCW, Cleveland Clinic Florida, UPenn, Columbia
8/12: Mt. Sinai
8/14: USF, LLUMC, Methodist Houston
8/15: Brown, Northwestern, Penn, BIDMC, UCSF, Maryland
8/16: CPMC
8/17: Michigan, Case Western (UH), Aurora, Einstein (Philadelphia)
8/18: UAB

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)
7/24: Lehigh Valley
7/26: OHSU, UTSW
7/27: Ochsner Clinic
7/29: University of MO columbia
7/31: Rutgers-RWJMS
8/3: VTC-Carillion
8/4: Cedar-Sinai
8/7: UF (Gainesville), Mayo Jacksonville, Emory, UC Davis
8/11: Vidant, Loyola
8/14: LLUMC
8/15: Cleveland Clinic
8/16: UMMS-Baystate

Visa requiring IMGs
7/19: Ochsner Clinic
7/26: UTSW-Dallas
8/1: Colorado
8/3: Georgetown University
8/7: Emory, VCU, Mayo Jacksonville, UF (Gainesville)
8/9: UNM
8/10: BWH
8/11: Cleveland Clinic Florida
8/14: UPMC
8/15: BIDMC, Maryland
8/17: UChicago

Rejections
7/31: Mayo
8/7: Mayo
8/7: UW
8/9: Uni of Missouri-Columbia
8/9: UCLA
8/10: Vanderbilt
8/15: Ohio State University Wexner
8/17: WVU, Case Western (UH), Aurora Health, Mayo

UCSD

AMGs
8/18: UAB,

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)
8/18: UCSD

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, new to SDN but was previously silently following the forum. I am IMG on J1 from univ affiliated community program in Midwest and I do not have any IVs so far despite applying 110 programs. I want to reach out to other IMGs on a visa who applied this year. Am I the only one without IVs? I am really hurt because I worked hard and I have 18 abstracts(case plus research) and 5 publications including 2 research studies, scores in 230s. I heard that GI is very hard for IMGs but I was expecting at least few IVs. Kindly share thoughts.

UCSD polite rejection (Waitlist)

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections
8/18 : UCSD

Hi everyone, new to SDN but was previously silently following the forum. I am IMG on J1 from univ affiliated community program in Midwest and I do not have any IVs so far despite applying 110 programs. I want to reach out to other IMGs on a visa who applied this year. Am I the only one without IVs? I am really hurt because I worked hard and I have 18 abstracts(case plus research) and 5 publications including 2 research studies, scores in 230s. I heard that GI is very hard for IMGs but I was expecting at least few IVs. Kindly share thoughts.

Sorry to here that, this is totally disheartening and discouraging, especially for IMGs needing visa despite excellent profile like you have. What about the university affiliated with your residency program?

Sorry to here that, this is totally disheartening and discouraging, especially for IMGs needing visa despite excellent profile like you have. What about the university affiliated with your residency program?
they likely ll give a courtesy iv. They already have internal spots taken by chiefs

Did any body got "waiting-list" IV from UCSD? Any remote possibility of IV there?

Did any body got "waiting-list" IV from UCSD? Any remote possibility of IV there?
I was happy about it initially, but looks like a lot of people got wait listed, so I think it's more of a polite rejection...

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats on so many publications. I think it depends on the quality of the research, your role in research, which university your program is affiliated with, who wrote the letters for you and how good your letters are. otherwise you have lots of publications/abstracts more than the majority of people I think...

IMG with no visa requirement. community program strong affiliation with a big university in the northeast.
6 abstracts (real research) in ACG (most as first author). 1 abstract in DDW (1st author). 3 pubmed publication. decent scores in step 1,2 and 3.
applied to 80 programs. 1 iv so far. 3 rejections.
hopefully will get more in the next couple of weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG with no visa requirement. community program strong affiliation with a big university in the northeast.
6 abstracts (real research) in ACG (most as first author). 1 abstract in DDW (1st author). 3 pubmed publication. decent scores in step 1,2 and 3.
applied to 80 programs. 1 iv so far. 3 rejections.
hopefully will get more in the next couple of weeks.
You sound in a better spot than IMGwithhope. U have a good research profile too. what about your letters?

problem seems to be your program where u did residency. everything seems to be near perfect. but sounds depressing in your situation. did u email programs?

You sound in a better spot than IMGwithhope. U have a good research profile too. what about your letters?
good letters, 1 from the GI chairman in my program, 1 from a GI professor where I worked in research before, 1 PD letter.
one of my seniors last year applied to GI, ended up with 5 ivs, got most ivs in September.

good letters, 1 from the GI chairman in my program, 1 from a GI professor where I worked in research before, 1 PD letter.
one of my seniors last year applied to GI, ended up with 5 ivs, got most ivs in September.
that is reassuring. good luck. I hope ur senior matched

It shouldn't be surprising that GI is difficult to get into. It also should not be a surprise that if you're an IMG or if you're coming from a community program that you have an uphill climb. Your numbers are only slightly above avg for IM. You have plenty of research, but research does not compensate for the more important qualities such as clinical knowledge, acumen, and application to a patient. Research is like icing on the cake. I think research is far over thought of as a factor in the application. Its only after you have good steps, come from a good residency, and have good letters that research becomes important part of selection. Most of the research done by residents are rarely worth any value. A non MD could do the same research. Don't mean to be harsh, but that's really the truth.

Reactions: 1 users
It shouldn't be surprising that GI is difficult to get into. It also should not be a surprise that if you're an IMG or if you're coming from a community program that you have an uphill climb. Your numbers are only slightly above avg for IM. You have plenty of research, but research does not compensate for the more important qualities such as clinical knowledge, acumen, and application to a patient. Research is like icing on the cake. I think research is far over thought of as a factor in the application. Its only after you have good steps, come from a good residency, and have good letters that research becomes important part of selection. Most of the research done by residents are rarely worth any value. A non MD could do the same research. Don't mean to be harsh, but that's really the truth.

That's only partly true. I'm an AMG at a mid-tier university program with strong LORs and step scores in mid 230s. My interests are by far clinical and so my research/publication experience is very limited to just a couple posters, nothing fancy. I have 2 IVs including my own program and probably 7-8 rejections. I know the biggest difference between me and many others who are successful is a ton more publications. It makes no sense to me because as you alluded to in your post, there are dedicated researchers in the field and so why this focus for clinicians?

That's only partly true. I'm an AMG at a mid-tier university program with strong LORs and step scores in mid 230s. My interests are by far clinical and so my research/publication experience is very limited to just a couple posters, nothing fancy. I have 2 IVs including my own program and probably 7-8 rejections. I know the biggest difference between me and many others who are successful is a ton more publications. It makes no sense to me because as you alluded to in your post, there are dedicated researchers in the field and so why this focus for clinicians?

What you said completely fit what I mentioned. I said research is like icing on the cake, if you are comparing your self to residents from the same program who have stronger research (and assuming similar letters and numbers), do you not expect that they would get more interviews?

I think everyone has different obstacles to overcome and GI is not easy for anyone. AMG from top programs have different expectation on which program they want to go to, so it is not easy for them either. AMG from low-mid tier program will definitely have way more chance than IMGs and most likely will match somewhere, but still, depending on individual's expectation, having that extra research makes a difference on where you get interviews from among those good programs.

For IMGs, it is definitely a very tough battle even to get any interview and even to get into any program, just by statistics. For IMGs, especially if you are coming from a community program, regardless of the visa status, strong research is the one major factor that will help you overcome the situation. From experience of my friends and GI fellows that I know, having an average research will not change the situation whole a lot. Those IMGs from community programs who are getting lots of interviews from amazing places, have many high quality publications and extra years of research, PhD etc. before joining the residency. Exceptional LoRs from exceptional mentors definitely seem to matter for sure, but such letters are not easily obtained without stellar research or stellar clinical work. Connection definitely will help opening the door, but you have to have an evidence to prove that you're amazing in order to actually match.

If only residency selection was fair, I would have been at least gotten into at least a lower tier university program. I had close to 9 months of research at Mayo Clinic prior to residency with mid scores. In the end, it was only scores that mattered. The selection process being so biased against not just IMGs but even AMGs in community program. Guess cant complain much if program directors are presented with applicants from big name programs that they cant neglect. Given average program ivs about 30-40 applicants out of 600 odd, it is hard on IMG applicants who need visa. If any medical student happens to read this message, remember all it matters is where u do residency to get into competitive fellowships in IM.

If only residency selection was fair, I would have been at least gotten into at least a lower tier university program. I had close to 9 months of research at Mayo Clinic prior to residency with mid scores. In the end, it was only scores that mattered. The selection process being so biased against not just IMGs but even AMGs in community program. Guess cant complain much if program directors are presented with applicants from big name programs that they cant neglect. Given average program ivs about 30-40 applicants out of 600 odd, it is hard on IMG applicants who need visa. If any medical student happens to read this message, remember all it matters is where u do residency to get into competitive fellowships in IM.

I'm not sure why you're complaining about why programs favor applicants from top tier academic programs vs community programs. The exposure at both are usually very different. These programs have been doing this for a long time, know the track records of their fellows, and know the type of applicant they want. I realize this is a frustrating time for you and many others, but instead of complaining how its a problem with the programs or system (which there may be) it's also a time for self-reflection. If all the program you have applied to have not offered you an interview, its probably you just don't have what they want or your applying to the wrong programs. Its not just a problem with the programs. Again, typically most programs send out offers by the end of Aug, so there are many invites still coming.

There's problems with the system but we knew that when we signed up, so there's no point in complaining. All of us who aren't getting as much love as we hope know our respective reasons. Most programs want the same things and that's why it's the same batch getting most of the invites here and will be seeing each other on the trail a lot. Good luck to all and remember it only takes one!

this is from 2016 NRMP data. there is till hope. 25% of programs send ivs in September and we still have 11 more days in August.
It is a known fact that GI is most competitive fellowship in medicine. as an IMG your chance of matching in 30-35%. Most of those who match did their residency in top-mid tier program. coming from low tier or small community programs means you need to work way harder and have excellent connection to get into GI.

I know people with >240 scores and good research who did residency in top tier community programs and ended up in big programs like Mayo Clinic and WashU despite being IMGs.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 67
I know there is no definite answer. But what is the magic number to match? In residency match, most people match within their top 4 choices. Is this still valid in the GI match? (meaning, most people match at one of their top 4 choices) I heard some people didn't match even with ~10 interviews, but how common it is? Does IMG vs AMG still matter a lot once they all get interviews from the same programs?

Since this is also matching, there should be a limited number of people getting many interviews.

Last edited:
I know there is no definite answer. But what is the magic number to match? In residency match, most people match within their top 4 choices. Is this still valid in the GI match? (meaning, most people match at one of their top 4 choices) I heard some people didn't match even with ~10 interviews, but how common it is?

I would also like an informed answer to this question.

how many interviews does one need to attend, on average, to have an almost guaranteed chance to match?

You have to screen people somehow. Most places have 1-3 spots for external applicants. They are not going to review in detail all 300+ applications. So you set your filters by score/program/visa until you get X number of reasonable applications to review further. You can also consider the residency you got into as the first layer of screening. Not to mention that the US government subsidizes residency education and AMGs should be favored.

If you really are that diamond in the rough outstanding outlier who is not getting a fair shake, you need to have strong advocates willing to make a call on your behalf to try to get an eyeball on your application.

I know there is no definite answer. But what is the magic number to match? In residency match, most people match within their top 4 choices. Is this still valid in the GI match? (meaning, most people match at one of their top 4 choices) I heard some people didn't match even with ~10 interviews, but how common it is? Does IMG vs AMG still matter a lot once they all get interviews from the same programs?

Since this is also matching, there should be a limited number of people getting many interviews.

I was wondering about this too... Once you get an interview, doesn't it mean that you made it through the qualification that the programs are looking for? Then would still AMG vs IMG matter? Would programs focus more on your interpersonal skills than your scores/programs/research once you are invited?

I was wondering about this too... Once you get an interview, doesn't it mean that you made it through the qualification that the programs are looking for? Then would still AMG vs IMG matter? Would programs focus more on your interpersonal skills than your scores/programs/research once you are invited?

I believe the credentials before interview still matter (residency reputation, scores, letters, visa, etc). It is also true that some program directors may already make a rank list based on the credentials in their mind and just use the interview process to rule out weird candidates. (it would be very hard to impress enough to overcome credentials during interview than screw up)

My question was what would be the magic number to match in general. I expect the number would be higher for IMGs. But how higher given the fact that it is a matching algorithm where the number of applicants getting multiple interviews is limited.

Given GI is a predominantly contacts based match, only applicants from top 30 IM programs are spared to match in GI programs(big and small) without influence of contacts. The ratio of applicants would be 90% AMGs and 10% AMGs in these 30 programs. In yester years personally I have heard someone not matching after getting 10 IVs only once(AMG) but overall 10 seems to be a good target for AMGs. For IMGs, I have heard an applicant who went unmatched after 11 IVs. In first place, getting 11 IVs by itself is a major achievement for that IMG. Most well placed IMGs get about 5-7 IVs. One IMG matched in the 9th program out of 9 IVs last year.

Certainly cant rationalize this formula to everybody coz u cant equate contacts in this formula. As someone mentioned above, each program is really interviewing only for 1 to 2 spots other than their internal spots. Very few programs have 5 or more spots and has more options.

For ppl who got 15 + ivs and thinking to cancel IVs, remember that odds of matching is higher in programs with more spots. in the process of cancelling, consider program caliber and size and prioritize bigger programs to attend IV. Some programs have varying spots every year(5, 4,2 in that cycle, etx). Once u get IV from a particular program, contact PC and enquire how many spots that are interviewing to match in NRMP.

Last edited:
Anyone who matched in internal program should be removed from analysis when considering probabilities of matching without contacts. To match in outside program is probably most difficult thing in GI for any applicant. Not saying u cant match outside with contacts but thats hard thing to figure out. When talking to current and former fellows about number of IVs, etx, figure out if they were internally matched or externally matched candidate to weigh in their comments. Matching internally is simply game of thrones, u just have to beat the 4 or 5 internal applicants.

Anyone who matched in internal program should be removed from analysis when considering probabilities of matching without contacts. To match in outside program is probably most difficult thing in GI for any applicant. Not saying u cant match outside with contacts but thats hard thing to figure out. When talking to current and former fellows about number of IVs, etx, figure out if they were internally matched or externally matched candidate to weigh in their comments. Matching internally is simply game of thrones, u just have to beat the 4 or 5 internal applicants.

Ditto, I think that many people applying forget that nearly half of GI spots are favored for internal applicants. This isn't to say its an unfair process, the programs simply know what kind of residents they get. This if anything, easily another reason why GI has become very competitive. The self selection process is similar to cards, but the number of applicants/spot ratio is higher and cards typically has more spots and thus only around 25-30% are filled with internal. On the other hand, vast majority of GI fellowships fill 50%+ internally. I think from the past cycle, Duke, Columbia (which is 4/4 spots for each program) had filled 100% with internal applicants. UCSF filled 4/6 with internal. Northwestern 2/3.

Rejection - Cleveland Clinic Florida

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections
8/21: Cleveland Clinic Florida

I have invested at least last 6-7 years of my life in this process of matching to GI and this is what I have learnt.
Most important factors to get IVs and Match in descending order of importance. (This is not based on any research but based on experience.)

1. In house GI fellowship: This doesn't get you IVs and automatically get you the in house GI position but can help you the most. You need to work hard and try to impress versus work as a chief and hope that the IM program director/ Med chief fight for you to get you this position. I have seen chiefs who didn't do any real work during residency, didn't even show interest in GI, but matched into GI after a year of chief. However, if you are in a busy program with many residents- you are competing with many to even get that chief position
2. Residency Program: Being a part of an uni or uni affiliated prog with in-house fellowship will always trump a residency in a community prog with no in house fellowship and weak uni affiliation.
3. Mentors: How influential your mentor is and how much he is ready to help you. Your mentor can take you to places that your CV or hard work cannot. But you will need to work hard to impress your mentor.
4. AMG vs FMG
5. Visa Status
6. Gap after Residency/ Med School
7. Step Scores (I and II)/ Attempts/ failures
8. Research/ Publications/ Oral presentations

So if you are a medical student, particularly FMG applying for residency with long term goals of GI----learn from our experience and prepare your rank order list keeping this list in mind.

For rest of us, who can't change our residency programs, our FMG status, all we can do is pray and hope that some one will recognize our passion for this field.Good luck to all of us as we are running out of programs that are left to send out interviews this season. I hope this week treats all of us with love.

I have invested at least last 6-7 years of my life in this process of matching to GI and this is what I have learnt.
Most important factors to get IVs and Match in descending order of importance. (This is not based on any research but based on experience.)

1. In house GI fellowship: This doesn't get you IVs and automatically get you the in house GI position but can help you the most. You need to work hard and try to impress versus work as a chief and hope that the IM program director/ Med chief fight for you to get you this position. I have seen chiefs who didn't do any real work during residency, didn't even show interest in GI, but matched into GI after a year of chief. However, if you are in a busy program with many residents- you are competing with many to even get that chief position
2. Residency Program: Being a part of an uni or uni affiliated prog with in-house fellowship will always trump a residency in a community prog with no in house fellowship and weak uni affiliation.
3. Mentors: How influential your mentor is and how much he is ready to help you. Your mentor can take you to places that your CV or hard work cannot. But you will need to work hard to impress your mentor.
4. AMG vs FMG
5. Visa Status

So if you are a medical student, particularly FMG applying for residency with long term goals of GI----learn from our experience and prepare your rank order list keeping this list in mind.

For rest of us, who can't change our residency programs, our FMG status, all we can do is pray and hope that some one will recognize our passion for this field.Good luck to all of us as we are running out of programs that are left to send out interviews this season. I hope this week treats all of us with love.
Completely agree with this based on my experience too. Internal spots are complicated by internal politics. It is extremely hard to know all these when u interview for residency. Las vegas program went into probation coz a big chunk of faculty quit program and started their own practice. U need luck in these situations. UConn didnt take internal candidates due to some politics(cant confirm but heard from an applicant has friends in that residency).

doing chief in a program with in house is a safe bet but even those spots are competitive.

Penn State (8/21)

AMGs
8/21: Penn State

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections
8/21: Cleveland Clinic (FL)

4. AMG vs FMG
5. Visa Status

I would move # 8 research/pub/oral presentations to somewhere between 3 and 4, as this is directly related with impressing your mentor who is worldly renowned in the field. To impress such mentor as an FMG is mostly based on research, unless your clinical skills are exceptional. I have seen FMG with tons of good publications and oral presentations getting almost 20 interviews mostly from top notch programs (BWH, UCLA, Mayo etc) with low step scores.

8/21:
interview: dartmouth
rejection: cleveland clinic florida

AMGs

8/21: Dartmouth

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

Happen to be the same as gmacpac today:
interview: Dartmouth
rejection: Cleveland FL

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs
8/15: BIDMC, Maryland/NIH

Rejections

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs
8/21: Dartmouth, MGH

Rejections

University of Minnesota

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs
8/21: Dartmouth, MGH, U Minnesota

Rejections

University of Minnesota

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs
8/21: Dartmouth, MGH, U Minnesota

Rejections
Minnesota too!! The last bit barrier has been broken. What big name programs havent sent IVs by now?

mnopeee

Last edited: