Official 2017-2018 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShiShiMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that Time again. Best of luck to all who apply this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for starting up this thread, ShiShi. A question for you or any other past applicants: Was there significant overlap for interview dates between programs? And does it take a few days for your application to "go live" after you submit it? (for example, even after a letter writer uploads the LOR, it takes a few days for eras to approve it).

Thanks for starting up this thread, ShiShi. A question for you or any other past applicants: Was there significant overlap for interview dates between programs? And does it take a few days for your application to "go live" after you submit it? (for example, even after a letter writer uploads the LOR, it takes a few days for eras to approve it).

For my N of 1 I would say Yes, for the most part I felt there were waves of interviews sent out with limited clustered date. For me this worked well since the dates overlapped I was able to doe 2-3 back to back in the same geographic area w/o an extra trip back and forth. As for the letter delay I think its like a day or two as you said.

Members don't see this ad :)

1) Yes I felt as I had to choose between programs limited slots. but when the waves of interviews came there were programs which I had to cancel
2) I believe so, but I do know your home program should be the first one to grant the interview. At least that's how I felt.

Guys, there are some GI programs on ERAS listed under "incomplete registration" and not under "participating". This includes programs like Tufts and Tulane. What does this mean? Are they not participating through ERAS or just waiting for the registration to complete? If not, do we contact the programs directly to apply?

Guys, there are some GI programs on ERAS listed under "incomplete registration" and not under "participating". This includes programs like Tufts and Tulane. What does this mean? Are they not participating through ERAS or just waiting for the registration to complete? If not, do we contact the programs directly to apply?

Their admins/PDs have not completed the registration yet so they are listed as not participating/not complete. This will get done in time (usually see No Heart Surgeon Match Day for Major Medical Center).

It just means they haven't finished registering. As far as programs are concerned, they don't need to be open for business until July 6th. Don't worry about it.

(EDIT: @NeedBeats and I were typing at the same time)

It says applications open July 6th or w/e but programs don't start receiving until the 15th. Does that mean I can safely wait until close to the 15th to submit or should I submit on the very first day?

It says applications open July 6th or w/e but programs don't start receiving until the 15th. Does that mean I can safely wait until close to the 15th to submit or should I submit on the very first day?

I think what it means is that we can start selecting programs to assign documents to and applying to them on July 6th. Programs can start looking at your actual application on July 15th. if your app is ready, then certify and submit as early as you can.

I saw a few posts on this topic from prior years, but just wanted to confirm . I have a couple of abstracts submitted to the ACG meeting. ACG will likely send out the acceptance emails around Jul 15. Is it worth waiting until 15th for the emails or better to apply early on 6th ?

I saw a few posts on this topic from prior years, but just wanted to confirm . I have a couple of abstracts submitted to the ACG meeting. ACG will likely send out the acceptance emails around Jul 15. Is it worth waiting until 15th for the emails or better to apply early on 6th ?

IMO: if your app has a good amount of pubs/abstracts/ academic work don't wait. You can always talk about ACG and upcoming posters as the "current work" on the IV's. If your app is light on academic works and these will be a bulk of it, and they are good projects you can put down as submitted as you would with a manuscript, and still apply on day1. If you do this, know the work inside and out, it will likely come up somewhere.

IMO: if your app has a good amount of pubs/abstracts/ academic work don't wait. You can always talk about ACG and upcoming posters as the "current work" on the IV's. If your app is light on academic works and these will be a bulk of it, and they are good projects you can put down as submitted as you would with a manuscript, and still apply on day1. If you do this, know the work inside and out, it will likely come up somewhere.
Thanks

Dear all,
I am 5 years out of residency because of visa issues and still on H1B. Low step scores. currently in academics with multiple publications in low and medium tier journals (about 25), 5 letter to the editors in high end journals and about 20-25 abstracts in ACG & DDW. What are my chances specially because of visa situation?

Members don't see this ad :)

I would personally wait if your research isn't as strong. There is no difference between submitting on the 6th and the 15th as far as I am aware of. I submitted I think on the 17th last year and received more interviews than I could reasonably attend

I would personally wait if your research isn't as strong. There is no difference between submitting on the 6th and the 15th as far as I am aware of. I submitted I think on the 17th last year and received more interviews than I could reasonably attend
I would probably recommend the opposite. If its a peer reviewed publication undergoing final review, possibly it may be worth delaying to say the publication has been accepted. But for a abstract? I know it happens, but the bar to get an abstract to get accepted is so low I don't think it would significant mean much to your application to just wait for the abstract to say its been accepted as vast majority of abstracts get accepted.

Dear all,
I am 5 years out of residency because of visa issues and still on H1B. Low step scores. currently in academics with multiple publications in low and medium tier journals (about 25), 5 letter to the editors in high end journals and about 20-25 abstracts in ACG & DDW. What are my chances specially because of visa situation?
I was in the same situation as yours and I am applying this year with a GC. You did great work on your CV in the five years. I think Visa is the key and I would recommend waiting to apply until you get the GC ( if there is any hope that you are getting it soon). If the wait for GC is of another couple of years, you should apply now. The added years after residency will not work in your favor.

I was in the same situation as yours and I am applying this year with a GC. You did great work on your CV in the five years. I think Visa is the key and I would recommend waiting to apply until you get the GC ( if there is any hope that you are getting it soon). If the wait for GC is of another couple of years, you should apply now. The added years after residency will not work in your favor.
Thanks for your reply. I dont think I am going to get GC anytime soon. Hence, applying this year. fingers crossed

Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum. I am a little bit nervous perhaps scared. I am starting my 3rd-year residency. What is the major factor which determines matching into GI fellowship? Info - foreign grad w/o visa issues. Doing residency in a mid-tier residency program, great step scores, 4 publications(case report and review article as 2nd author) and 2 studies(2nd author). Also around 10 abstracts in ACG. Where should I apply? How should I tailor my applications? I mean which programs should I focus on.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Brooklyn hospital center gastro fellowship- ERAS has 2 fellowships for this program urban vs regular GI. What is urban fellowship?

Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum. I am a little bit nervous perhaps scared. I am starting my 3rd-year residency. What is the major factor which determines matching into GI fellowship? Info - foreign grad w/o visa issues. Doing residency in a mid-tier residency program, great step scores, 4 publications(case report and review article as 2nd author) and 2 studies(2nd author). Also around 10 abstracts in ACG. Where should I apply? How should I tailor my applications? I mean which programs should I focus on.
Thanks for the help.
Thanks for the help.
You will be fine. The major factor IMO weighing in getting interviews is where you did residency training. If you're at a mid tier residency (which means a large university based program) with solid research, and great step scores, you should have no issues matching. I would focus on the middle tier programs but would make sure you include a number of reach and safety as well.

Another topic that has been covered extensively re: Personal statement length-- I am at 900 words and it is still less than one page in ERAS. However, I have read conflicting information, some saying 500 words and one Page in MS word. Is there a clear guideline for reference ?

You will be fine. The major factor IMO weighing in getting interviews is where you did residency training. If you're at a mid-tier residency (which means a large university based program) with solid research, and great step scores, you should have no issues matching. I would focus on the middle tier programs but would make sure you include a number of reach and safety as well.

Oh, Thank you for your reply. It is not a mid-tier program as it is not a university program but is a big community program with all fellowship. Most of the grads(>95%) are US grads and they say our hospital is mid tier. I am not sure which criteria they use, but it is not university for sure. Anything which I can do on my part?

Thanks

Oh, Thank you for your reply. It is not a mid-tier program as it is not a university program but is a big community program with all fellowship. Most of the grads(>95%) are US grads and they say our hospital is mid tier. I am not sure which criteria they use, but it is not university for sure. Anything which I can do on my part?

Thanks
There are only a few community programs that most would consider mid tier IM programs(two that come to mind is Hopkins-Bayview and Cedars Sinai). There is nothing you can change about where you went for residency so don't sweat it. However, given this info would recommend you potentially apply more broadly (meaning more "lower" tier).

There are only a few community programs that most would consider mid tier IM programs(two that come to mind is Hopkins-Bayview and Cedars Sinai). There is nothing you can change about where you went for residency so don't sweat it. However, given this info would recommend you potentially apply more broadly (meaning more "lower" tier).
Thank you, that helps a lot. My goal is just to match anywhere. I will apply broadly.

My LORs (other than PD letter) are still not submitted. Should I submit my app or wait till it's all in?

My LORs (other than PD letter) are still not submitted. Should I submit my app or wait till it's all in?

my case is opposite, I have all the LORs but PD LOR. I am waiting till next Wednesday because programs can not download application till 15, so it does not matter.

Last edited:
Another topic that has been covered extensively re: Personal statement length-- I am at 900 words and it is still less than one page in ERAS. However, I have read conflicting information, some saying 500 words and one Page in MS word. Is there a clear guideline for reference ?

IMO depends on the story, if your stretching to fit in a prose version of your CV and getting over a page, trim it the hell down. If your PS is an important part of why you're doing GI, why you are you, and it stretches to 1.5 pages I think it's fine.

Mine was around 1.5 pages, but it was important to me to tell the story I did. It was commented on at every interview, at least by one person.

Reactions: 1 users
my case is opposite, I have all the LORs but PD LOR. I am waiting till next Wednesday because programs can not download application till 15, so it does not matter.

On this note, how reliable are programs at adding letters to an application after it has been submitted? This is a question about letter writers who don't upload their letters until later. Would I risk an incomplete application if I submit early on time?

Certain programs mention including a CV in their required documents. Do they just mean the ERAS app or an actual CV sent outside of ERAS?

Also, are you guys just sending everything to all programs irregardless of what they ask for (i.e. if they only ask for step scores, will you also include MSPE and med school transcripts just in case)?

Certain programs mention including a CV in their required documents. Do they just mean the ERAS app or an actual CV sent outside of ERAS?

Also, are you guys just sending everything to all programs irregardless of what they ask for (i.e. if they only ask for step scores, will you also include MSPE and med school transcripts just in case)?

I believe this means the CV in your ERAS application-- I was told however to take a hard copy of an updated CV to every interview I go to.

And previous applicants also told me yes- unless there's a red flag, send everything to every program because you don't want it to look like you're hiding anything.

I believe this means the CV in your ERAS application-- I was told however to take a hard copy of an updated CV to every interview I go to.

And previous applicants also told me yes- unless there's a red flag, send everything to every program because you don't want it to look like you're hiding anything.

Yes, CV through ERAS, send EVERYTHING, you don't want to have your application thrown out because you're missing something. I also thought that having a CV with you would be handy, it was actually a waste of paper. I initially brought it with me for my first two interviews, then stopped. Don't bring it. If the interviewer didn't read your cv, the the point of the interview would be for you to tell them. If they did read your cv, its because they already have a paper copy of your ERAS. Pack light and enjoy yourself.

Hello everyone, Have I few questions. Also which LOR I should use? Is Internal Medicine PD letter is necessary? I have done Hepatology fellowship and currently working in transplant program as hepatologist > 2 years.
1. IM PD 2. PD from Hepatology 3. Associate PD from Hepatology 4. attending from fellowship 5. The current director of Advance GI from work. 6. Gastroenterologist from residency program. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello everyone, Have I few questions. Also which LOR I should use? Is Internal Medicine PD letter is necessary? I have done Hepatology fellowship and currently working in transplant program as hepatologist > 2 years.
1. IM PD 2. PD from Hepatology 3. Associate PD from Hepatology 4. attending from fellowship 5. The current director of Advance GI from work. 6. Gastroenterologist from residency program. Thanks

The first two are mandatory then pick whoever you think wrote you the best letter.

What are the thoughts on writing a personal statement that is specific to some of your top programs or regions?

Also on a more personal note-- my family is planning a move to a different state for work. Is this something I should include in a personal statement or is it too risky?

I'm coming from a mid tier academic program, good step scores (~250s), ~15 pubs (mid to low tier journals). I'm on H1B with pending Green Card Application.
-Is the pending GC a big problem to most programs?
-If a program takes you on a H1B can you be switched to the T32 for a research track in second year?

Thank you.

I'm coming from a mid tier academic program, good step scores (~250s), ~15 pubs (mid to low tier journals). I'm on H1B with pending Green Card Application.
-Is the pending GC a big problem to most programs?
-If a program takes you on a H1B can you be switched to the T32 for a research track in second year?

Thank you.
Only citizens/GC holders can be on T32 grants.

Only citizens/GC holders can be on T32 grants.
Sorry. What if GC comes in the middle of year 1 of fellowship? Can you be switched to T32 second year? Or is it a case by case basis thing? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey guys we were asking this on the main IM board. Is the NRMP number the same from residency? Are you just leaving this blank until the NRMP is open

Sorry. What if GC comes in the middle of year 1 of fellowship? Can you be switched to T32 second year? Or is it a case by case basis thing? Thanks.
Yes. But if a program is counting on you being on a T32 for part of your time there they may rank you lower/not at all if you don't have GC in hand.

Nothing you can do about that but ask.

What are the thoughts on writing a personal statement that is specific to some of your top programs or regions?
Unless these programs have something unique that draws them to you (a specific research interest, a procedure done only there, etc), or you have a specific and relevant link to the area ("I visited my uncle in Birmingham once, so UAB is at the top of my list" doesn't count) then it's a waste of time.

Also on a more personal note-- my family is planning a move to a different state for work. Is this something I should include in a personal statement or is it too risky?
Your family as in your parents and your sister that's still in high school? Or your family as in your spouse and children?

If the former, nobody cares...and that's weird. If the latter, why are they moving for work without waiting to see what happens with the Match for you?

Where do you mention your away elective on ERAS CV? Under 'experiences' section or the 'training' section?

Can anyone help advise if the ERAS application should be submitted before the PD letter is uploaded? Will this risk the PD letter being lost and the application just thrown in the "incomplete" pile? Thanks

That's not how it works. Just submit.

Could you explain how it works? I'm not understanding why it's OK to submit an application without the LORs uploaded. Won't programs see an incomplete application when they download and then put said application to the side and forget about it?

Could you explain how it works? I'm not understanding why it's OK to submit an application without the LORs uploaded. Won't programs see an incomplete application when they download and then put said application to the side and forget about it?
There's no side to put it to. There's no longer any downloading, it's just a website. If they set a filter that requires a certain # of LORs to review your app, it's invisible to them. Once the LORs are up, it's magically in the pile. If they don't have a LOR filter set, they'll see it and assume their coming. They'll probably review your app and assign you to 1 or 3 piles (reject, hold, IV). It's not common that the actual LORs (other than the # of them present) are a screening tool.

TL;DR - Just submit

Did anyone get decisions regarding submissions to ACG 2017 yet?

There's no side to put it to. There's no longer any downloading, it's just a website. If they set a filter that requires a certain # of LORs to review your app, it's invisible to them. Once the LORs are up, it's magically in the pile. If they don't have a LOR filter set, they'll see it and assume their coming. They'll probably review your app and assign you to 1 or 3 piles (reject, hold, IV). It's not common that the actual LORs (other than the # of them present) are a screening tool.

TL;DR - Just submit

I guess the real question here is: How important is it to submit by 7/15? (as opposed to say 7/18 or 7/20) Most programs state they will receive applications at least through 7/31. Will one's application be "at the end of the queue"? Does it reflect poorly on one self that one were unable to get everything ready?