Official 2017-2018 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
r u sure u r posting in the right page? u updated endocrine list today too
Yes, my roommate is applying in GI and received interviews from those programs. I saw someone asked about NY programs so I decided to help out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, I know now, my application is filtered, I called one of programs in Michigan (William Beaumont) and the coordinator said, their criteria for selection in USMLE score of 230 or above. I know now my application filtered.
Zero interviews out of all programs so far despite the fact I have a lot of research, Master Degree and other good credentials.
Why wouldn't program mention selection criteria of USMLE score on their website?

Hi guys, I know now, my application is filtered, I called one of programs in Michigan (William Beaumont) and the coordinator said, their criteria for selection in USMLE score of 230 or above. I know now my application filtered.
Zero interviews out of all programs so far despite the fact I have a lot of research, Master Degree and other good credentials.
Why wouldn't program mention selection criteria of USMLE score on their website?

Because $

Members don't see this ad :)
AMG, NYMC and GWU

AMGs

7/19: Duke
7/20: Cincinnati
7/22: UMissouri-Columbia
7/24: Lehigh Valley, UF-Jacksonville
7/25: Vanderbilt, Cincinnati
7/26: UTSW, UVA
7/26: OHSU
7/27: MGH
7/28: Mayo Rochester
7/28: UVermont
7/31: VCU, Rutgers-RWJMS
8/1: OHSU, Colorado, URochester, Hopkins
8/2: Henry Ford-WSU, UNC, Yale, Hopkins
8/3: Georgetown, Wake Forest, Jackson Memorial Miami
8/4: Cedars-Sinai, Georgetown
8/7: Emory, Ohio State, BU, MGH, Florida-Gainesville
8/8: Brigham
8/9: Georgetown, WVU, UCLA, NYU, University of New Mexico, Wake Forest
8/10: Pittsburgh, Michigan, Brigham, UChicago, UCLA
8/11: MCW, Cleveland Clinic Florida, UPenn, Columbia
8/12: Mt. Sinai
8/14: USF, LLUMC, Methodist Houston
8/15: Brown, Northwestern, Penn, BIDMC, UCSF, Maryland
8/16: CPMC
8/17: Michigan, Case Western (UH), Aurora, Einstein (Philadelphia)
8/18: UAB
8/21: Penn State
8/22: NYMC westchester
8/24: Kaiser LA
8/25: GWU

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)
7/24: Lehigh Valley
7/26: OHSU, UTSW
7/27: Ochsner Clinic
7/29: University of MO columbia
7/31: Rutgers-RWJMS
8/3: VTC-Carillion
8/4: Cedar-Sinai
8/7: UF (Gainesville), Mayo Jacksonville, Emory, UC Davis
8/11: Vidant, Loyola
8/14: LLUMC
8/15: Cleveland Clinic
8/16: UMMS-Baystate
8/18: UCSD
8/21: Dartmouth
8/24: Stanford

Visa requiring IMGs
7/19: Ochsner Clinic
7/26: UTSW-Dallas
8/1: Colorado
8/3: Georgetown University
8/7: Emory, VCU, Mayo Jacksonville, UF (Gainesville)
8/9: UNM
8/10: BWH
8/11: Cleveland Clinic Florida
8/14: UPMC
8/15: BIDMC, Maryland/NIH
8/17: UChicago
8/21: Dartmouth, MGH, U Minnesota
8/23: U Minnesota
8/24: Mayo AZ

Rejections

7/31: Mayo
8/7: Mayo
8/7: UW
8/9: Uni of Missouri-Columbia
8/9: UCLA
8/10: Vanderbilt
8/15: Ohio State University Wexner
8/17: WVU, Case Western (UH), Aurora Health, Mayo
8/21: Cleveland Clinic (FL)
8/23: UChicago, BIDMC
8/24: Mount Sinai

Has anyone heard from any of the other NYC area hospitals?

i.e. Stony Brook, Winthrop, LIJ, Maimo, NYH Queens, Beth Israel, NYMC, Lenox Hill, Methodist, Brookdale, Downstate, Monte, NUMC, Elmhurst, NJMS, Cooper, or Saint Peters University?
St Peters, NJ sent out on 8/24 I believe. I'm not sure about others.

Reactions: 1 user
Any body heard from or know about Toledo, UAMS and University of Miami? please let me know.

AMGs
8/22: NYMC westchester
8/25: GWU

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs
8/23: U Minnesota, BU

Rejections

Score USMLE 230
is it for step 1 or both step 1 & 2

Is there any chance anyone can trade me Vanderbilt interview dates? Hoping to switch from my current date of 10/6 to 10/19. Please PM me if anyone is interested. Thanks.

All steps she said.

Surprised they were that honest and disclosed that to you, probably a minor slip up on their part. But yea, everyone sets screening thresholds to limit the apps they review. Buyers market.

coz each person who reviews part of applications ll have different perceptions about scores. Although she meant 230, some ppl who review applications in the program could potentially set the bar at 250. Unlike residency, decisions are not that uniform among interviewers. Thats why there is no info on score requirement.

If u had applied to nephro with step attempts in every step, u could still imagine matching in a good program. Its buyer and sellers market situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
coz each person who reviews part of applications ll have different perceptions about scores. Although she meant 230, some ppl who review applications in the program could potentially set the bar at 250. Unlike residency, decisions are not that uniform among interviewers. Thats why there is no info on score requirement.

The PD sets the cutoff for the program, so an interviewer would not even see the apps for people screened out by the PD

The PD sets the cutoff for the program, so an interviewer would not even see the apps for people screened out by the PD
Not in all programs. Many programs divide the total applications into sets of 3 or 4 and gives it to different ppl to pick. Overall they ll give an outline like at least 230 in steps is desired. Unless PD is very hands on, he has a full time clinical job and wont be able to review all 500 odd applications himself. Ultimately the fate depends on the person who reviews your application
- Verified information

Let's do an exercise to see where we stand (for mutual benefit of everyone. Peers can see where they stand and be prepared. Ppl who haven't received ivs, plz contribute too. All your inputs count.

Pick one of options for questions one and two. Question 3 is jus descriptive

1. AMG/IMG VISA/IMG NO VISA
2. UNIVERSITY/UNIV AFFILIATED/COMMUNITY
3. NUMBER OF IVs

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Scope Guy, great idea, just to have a general idea for current and future references.

1. IMG VISA
2. UNIVERSITY
3. Five interviews so far

1. IMG VISA
2. University Affiliated
3. 9 interviews so far

I have been following this thread.

I was once involved in picking applicants for interview for a residency program and I can tell you that there is definitely a filter. Applications for residency can have > 1500 at least and with the filter it can narrow down to 500 in an instant! In GI, application can be 500+

Filters includes, usmle scores (steps 1,2,3 and CS - if pass or failed), medical school, LOR, previous experience (or training), visa (whether GC, US citizen or visa requiring), any misdemeanor (felony or have been charged), research and publications

They don't have filter on number of years out of medical school or residency. That will come out when they read ur application

In short, there will be filter on anything that you put in your ERAS application. And if you don't qualify even 1 of the filters the PD or APD or PC placed, you are automatic out in the interview pool

Regarding USMLE score it would be depending on the Programs to what standard of scores they want. I knew someone who had 190 of USMLE scores that got into GI and was able to do advance endoscopy afterwards.

For IMG
1. it is who will vouch for you.
2. It is also if your own residency program has GI fellowship.
3. Definitely AMGs have an edge.... way way far (remember about the filter)

In the end, u need only 1 interview to get into the program and u have to impress the interviewer so that you will be ranked.

AMGs are ranked in the top 5 all the time, IMGs are ranked starting from 6 onwards... so pray that you are ranked and the ones ahead of you rank other programs on top.

Good luck

Not in all programs. Many programs divide the total applications into sets of 3 or 4 and gives it to different ppl to pick. Overall they ll give an outline like at least 230 in steps is desired. Unless PD is very hands on, he has a full time clinical job and wont be able to review all 500 odd applications himself. Ultimately the fate depends on the person who reviews your application
- Verified information

This information is inaccurate. I was a chief resident and a chief fellow. I interviewed candidates in residency and fellowship, and was a member of the selection committee. IM2GI is correct. The PD sets the cutoffs. If you fall below them, your application is never reviewed. I will explain how it works.

The whole point of a cutoff is to reduce the number of apps you have to review. It's not some arbitrary measuring stick, below which you are unworthy of attending a program. But the fact is there are way too many applications to review, so you have to figure out a way to thin the heard. For my fellowship program, we received over 400 applications for 3 spots. There was no way we were reading 400+ applications to fill three spots.

ERAS allows you to use any sort of cutoff you want. You want to print only applications with Step scores > 230, boom, there you go. You want to only print applications from US med grads, boom, there you go. You want to exclude applications that need visas, boom, there you go. Most programs don't use all these cutoffs, maybe just one or two, enough to get the number of applications to review to a workable number. If they use a step score cutoff and after reviewing the first round they are unhappy with the results, they can always go back and print the scores from 220 to 230 to get some more candidates.

If you fall below their cutoff, whatever that might be, your application is never even printed or reviewed. Once a workable number of applications is obtained, this batch is then divided amongst the interviewers for review and invitation offers.

But the point is, if you are screened out, you have literally been screened out, and your app is never even reviewed. You either get rejected immediately, rejected when interviews are over, or silently rejected. This is why it is so important to apply broadly, because different caliber programs will have different cutoffs.

Haha, I see APD was posting the same thing at the same time. Sorry for the repetitive info.

I have been following this thread.

I was once involved in picking applicants for interview for a residency program and I can tell you that there is definitely a filter. Applications for residency can have > 1500 at least and with the filter it can narrow down to 500 in an instant! In GI, application can be 500+

Filters includes, usmle scores (steps 1,2,3 and CS - if pass or failed), medical school, LOR, previous experience (or training), visa (whether GC, US citizen or visa requiring), any misdemeanor (felony or have been charged), research and publications

They don't have filter on number of years out of medical school or residency. That will come out when they read ur application

In short, there will be filter on anything that you put in your ERAS application. And if you don't qualify even 1 of the filters the PD or APD or PC placed, you are automatic out in the interview pool

Regarding USMLE score it would be depending on the Programs to what standard of scores they want. I knew someone who had 190 of USMLE scores that got into GI and was able to do advance endoscopy afterwards.

For IMG
1. it is who will vouch for you.
2. It is also if your own residency program has GI fellowship.
3. Definitely AMGs have an edge.... way way far (remember about the filter)

In the end, u need only 1 interview to get into the program and u have to impress the interviewer so that you will be ranked.

AMGs are ranked in the top 5 all the time, IMGs are ranked starting from 6 onwards... so pray that you are ranked and the ones ahead of you rank other programs on top.

Good luck

This information is inaccurate. I was a chief resident and a chief fellow. I interviewed candidates in residency and fellowship, and was a member of the selection committee. IM2GI is correct. The PD sets the cutoffs. If you fall below them, your application is never reviewed. I will explain how it works.

The whole point of a cutoff is to reduce the number of apps you have to review. It's not some arbitrary measuring stick, below which you are unworthy of attending a program. But the fact is there are way too many applications to review, so you have to figure out a way to thin the heard. For my fellowship program, we received over 400 applications for 3 spots. There was no way we were reading 400+ applications to fill three spots.

ERAS allows you to use any sort of cutoff you want. You want to print only applications with Step scores > 230, boom, there you go. You want to only print applications from US med grads, boom, there you go. You want to exclude applications that need visas, boom, there you go. Most programs don't use all these cutoffs, maybe just one or two, enough to get the number of applications to review to a workable number. If they use a step score cutoff and after reviewing the first round they are unhappy with the results, they can always go back and print the scores from 220 to 230 to get some more candidates.

If you fall below their cutoff, whatever that might be, your application is never even printed or reviewed. Once a workable number of applications is obtained, this batch is then divided amongst the interviewers for review and invitation offers.

But the point is, if you are screened out, you have literally been screened out, and your app is never even reviewed. You either get rejected immediately, rejected when interviews are over, or silently rejected. This is why it is so important to apply broadly, because different caliber programs will have different cutoffs.

Very useful info, thank you both!

Before all this was posted, I had started a thread asking pretty much the question that you guys answered here, at least for GI Step 1 filters for IM subspecialties - might they INCREASE in the future?

Hypothetical question for you all (I'm just a med student, but trying to plan a bit for the future on my weekend off): if I was a AMG at a mid tier university program with solid research and LORs, but I know I'm gonna be screened out by step 1 score at a program, would a call from my IM PD or a GI fellowship PD that I've worked with allow me to get past a screen? I'm sure this is program dependent at best, or not at all possible at worst...thanks for your input

Before all this was posted, I had started a thread asking pretty much the question that you guys answered here, at least for GI Step 1 filters for IM subspecialties - might they INCREASE in the future?

Hypothetical question for you all (I'm just a med student, but trying to plan a bit for the future on my weekend off): if I was a AMG at a mid tier university program with solid research and LORs, but I know I'm gonna be screened out by step 1 score at a program, would a call from my IM PD or a GI fellowship PD that I've worked with allow me to get past a screen? I'm sure this is program dependent at best, or not at all possible at worst...thanks for your input
Yes call will bypass everything

Depending on the conversation with your IM PD or GI PD and the other program. It can go two ways. The other GI program can tell your IM or GI PD up front that you are not suitable for interview. But if the other program knew your IM or GI PD and had previous "good" interactions" then you may get an interview even with low step 1 score. It all depends on your IM Or GI PD credentials in this scenario.

Yes call will bypass everything

Depending on the conversation with your IM PD or GI PD and the other program. It can go two ways. The other GI program can tell your IM or GI PD up front that you are not suitable for interview. But if the other program knew your IM or GI PD and had previous "good" interactions" then you may get an interview even with low step 1 score. It all depends on your IM Or GI PD credentials in this scenario.

Thank you both for your input, good to hear that it might be possible to bypass it if necessary with the right support. If only I had scored my last 3 NBME average...real thing was 20 points below, ugh. My score is right on the upper border of "scores below which programs do not generally grant interviews" of those GI PDs who responded (P.100) http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2016-PD-Survey-Report-SMS.pdf

Speaking of averages, any idea if most GI program filters are a set number for each step, or if the filter is based on the AVERAGE of the 3 scores? I had read somewhere that it might be possible for programs to filter by the average score of step 1, 2, & 3...

Thanks, and my apologies for interrupting the application thread with this question!

1. IMG / Naturalized US citizen
2. University affiliate
3. Zero interviews

1. IMG / H1B, pending GC application
2. Mid-tier university
3. Applied 30 / 6 IV

1. IMG VISA
2. University Affiliated
3. 9 interviews so far

Can you please put some details from your CV (USMLE scores, publications, your med school...) just to get an idea how how the program select candidates?
I need a visa and im in a university program and I didnt get any IVs so far.

Can you please put some details from your CV (USMLE scores, publications, your med school...) just to get an idea how how the program select candidates?

Why one anyone decide to expose their identity?

I would add step scores too
1) IMG, US citizen *not Caribbean
2) Univ aff
3) 2 ivs
4) step 1&2 230+, step 3 220+

problem is revealing med school coz then it narrows to 2 or 3 ppl from that university who are applying GI. It is best left anonymous. I understand what u are trying to figure out but I didnt include med school since it is dealbreaker. Things that could change is how much research experience and connections someone has, that SDN can never answer. Some ppl with score in 200s go to big name universities if they work with an influential person in that field. Ppl with step failures have done residency in cleveland clinic in the past. Anything is possible

with the unfortunate sequence of events in houston, any idea how this is affecting the interview process. did the programs already send out IVs?

In case anyone is interested, I looked at how many progs sent out invites that made it to SDN in the 16-17 cycle (all comers, visa or med school), and I tried to filter out duplicates, got to 126 unique progs, and about 30 invites posted starting Sept 1 (some of these were obviously duplicates). Take that as you will.

Has anyone else heard from Stanford?

I got the interview from them this AM, but needed to decline it since they only gave one date that conflicts with my other interview. Too bad....

Last edited:
I got the interview from them this AM, but needed to decline it since they only gave one date that conflicts with my other interview. Too bad....
too bad. was the conflict between Mayo vs Stanford or MGH vs Stanford?

Scopeguy, where are u training? U seem to have the most time of all the GI fellows I know. u are active not just in GI forum but also on heme onc etc. I text my Gi fellow friends and get reply from then 2 weeks later.

Scopeguy, where are u training? U seem to have the most time of all the GI fellows I know. u are active not just in GI forum but also on heme onc etc. I text my Gi fellow friends and get reply from then 2 weeks later.
Lol we have reasonably busy program but I do it in between cases, while waiting for next clinic patient to be triaged. If your GI fellow friend is taking 2 weeks to respond, I doubt if he is truly your friend with good intentions as I don see any program being that terribly busy.
:nono:

Lol we have reasonably busy program but I do it in between cases, while waiting for next clinic patient to be triaged. If your GI fellow friend is taking 2 weeks to respond, I doubt if he is truly your friend with good intentions as I don see any program being that terribly busy.
:nono:
lol. true i am beginning to doubt this friendship. jokes apart, thanks for your involvement and tips here in this forum. If you don't mind sharing, how many total IVs did you get last year ( also may be u can split them into spontaneous iv vs iv through contacts and where u ended up matching- not the program name but whether where u matched was a spontaneuous vs contact IV )

lol. true i am beginning to doubt this friendship. jokes apart, thanks for your involvement and tips here in this forum. If you don't mind sharing, how many total IVs did you get last year ( also may be u can split them into spontaneous iv vs iv through contacts and where u ended up matching- not the program name but whether where u matched was a spontaneuous vs contact IV )
I had total of 6 IVs - IMG on a visa in a university affiliated residency program. Matched in a program where I got IV through contact(faculty in the dept) but was able to impress PD and APDs during IV based on my research work.

I had total of 6 IVs - IMG on a visa in a university affiliated residency program. Matched in a program where I got IV through contact(faculty in the dept) but was able to impress PD and APDs during IV based on my research work.
thanks for sharing

AMGs
8/22: NYMC (Westchester)
8/25: GWU, UIC

Visa requiring IMGs
8/23: U Minnesota, BU

Rejections

Is there any one who can swap University of Maryland interview (NIH scholar) with me? Mine is 9/14-15 and I can do 10/19-20 or 10/26-27.
Please PM me if you can.
Thank you very much for your consideration!

Is there any one who can swap University of Maryland interview (NIH scholar) with me? Mine is 9/14-15 and I can do 10/19-20 or 10/26-27.
Please PM me if you can.
Thank you very much for your consideration!
Hello, I'm also desperately looking for interview day swap for University of Maryland/NIH. Mine is 10/5-6. I can do 9/14-15, 10/12-13, 10/19-20 or 10/26-27. Please personal message me if you can switch with me. Thank you!