Official 2017-2018 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to ask one more... what about Rush, UIC, or Loyola? (I think I saw Loyola sent out some already last week?)

Hi everyone, new to SDN but was previously silently following the forum. I am IMG on J1 from univ affiliated community program in Midwest and I do not have any IVs so far despite applying 110 programs. I want to reach out to other IMGs on a visa who applied this year. Am I the only one without IVs? I am really hurt because I worked hard and I have 18 abstracts(case plus research) and 5 publications including 2 research studies, scores in 230s. I heard that GI is very hard for IMGs but I was expecting at least few IVs. Kindly share thoughts.
I am in same boat; IMG at Univ affiliated community program but on H1B visa;got one IV; did good amount of research in GI and have 50+posters (more than 30 of them are published abstracts) and 5 research manuscripts with another 2 under review; scores in 240+;and to add to everything, I am Chief; I guess I did everything I am supposed to do to be competitive candidate but still waiting for interview calls.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in same boat; IMG at Univ affiliated community program but on H1B visa;got one IV; did good amount of research in GI and have 50+posters (more than 30 of them are published abstracts) and 5 research manuscripts with another 2 under review; scores in 240+;and to add to everything, I am Chief; I guess I did everything I am supposed to do to be competitive candidate but still waiting for interview calls.
How about the reputation of the university you're affiliated with and letter writers' reputation/strength of letter? Otherwise you've done everything you could and all credentials look nearly perfect... My former chief (H1B) and GI fellows told me they got interviews until October, so I think it will be coming for you too...

H1 happens to be the toughest of the visa categories ahead of J1 by a small margin. However H1 applicants from big name programs like Cleveland Clinic manage to get 10+ IVs. It is not necessarily that H1 GI programs have issue with interviewing H1 applicants but then they look at where u did residency and thats all. Ppl who screen applications look inside the actual application only when they see recognized university residency programs. If you are not from India or china, u should do a job, get GC in 1-2 years and your prospects would be much better, although taking a break in non academic place will definitely be negative. But thats an option

Anyone hear from Stanford? I've heard positively from many other west coast programs but crickets from them. Can anyone comment on the quality of training at clinical Stanford. My advisors steer me towards other west coast programs first, but I'm concerned this isn't fair. Any positive changes with new management?

Anyone hear from Stanford? I've heard positively from many other west coast programs but crickets from them. Can anyone comment on the quality of training at clinical Stanford. My advisors steer me towards other west coast programs first, but I'm concerned this isn't fair. Any positive changes with new management?
many applicants would steer towards any program at this point :p

Members don't see this ad :)
8/23 University of Minnesota

AMGs

7/19: Duke
7/20: Cincinnati
7/22: UMissouri-Columbia
7/24: Lehigh Valley, UF-Jacksonville
7/25: Vanderbilt, Cincinnati
7/26: UTSW, UVA
7/26: OHSU
7/27: MGH
7/28: Mayo Rochester
7/28: UVermont
7/31: VCU, Rutgers-RWJMS
8/1: OHSU, Colorado, URochester, Hopkins
8/2: Henry Ford-WSU, UNC, Yale, Hopkins
8/3: Georgetown, Wake Forest, Jackson Memorial Miami
8/4: Cedars-Sinai, Georgetown
8/7: Emory, Ohio State, BU, MGH, Florida-Gainesville
8/8: Brigham
8/9: Georgetown, WVU, UCLA, NYU, University of New Mexico, Wake Forest
8/10: Pittsburgh, Michigan, Brigham, UChicago, UCLA
8/11: MCW, Cleveland Clinic Florida, UPenn, Columbia
8/12: Mt. Sinai
8/14: USF, LLUMC, Methodist Houston
8/15: Brown, Northwestern, Penn, BIDMC, UCSF, Maryland
8/16: CPMC
8/17: Michigan, Case Western (UH), Aurora, Einstein (Philadelphia)
8/18: UAB
8/21: Penn State

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)
7/24: Lehigh Valley
7/26: OHSU, UTSW
7/27: Ochsner Clinic
7/29: University of MO columbia
7/31: Rutgers-RWJMS
8/3: VTC-Carillion
8/4: Cedar-Sinai
8/7: UF (Gainesville), Mayo Jacksonville, Emory, UC Davis
8/11: Vidant, Loyola
8/14: LLUMC
8/15: Cleveland Clinic
8/16: UMMS-Baystate
8/18: UCSD
8/21: Dartmouth

Visa requiring IMGs
7/19: Ochsner Clinic
7/26: UTSW-Dallas
8/1: Colorado
8/3: Georgetown University
8/7: Emory, VCU, Mayo Jacksonville, UF (Gainesville)
8/9: UNM
8/10: BWH
8/11: Cleveland Clinic Florida
8/14: UPMC
8/15: BIDMC, Maryland/NIH
8/17: UChicago
8/21: Dartmouth, MGH, U Minnesota
8/23: U Minnesota

Rejections
7/31: Mayo
8/7: Mayo
8/7: UW
8/9: Uni of Missouri-Columbia
8/9: UCLA
8/10: Vanderbilt
8/15: Ohio State University Wexner
8/17: WVU, Case Western (UH), Aurora Health, Mayo
8/21: Cleveland Clinic (FL)

H1 happens to be the toughest of the visa categories ahead of J1 by a small margin. However H1 applicants from big name programs like Cleveland Clinic manage to get 10+ IVs. It is not necessarily that H1 GI programs have issue with interviewing H1 applicants but then they look at where u did residency and thats all. Ppl who screen applications look inside the actual application only when they see recognized university residency programs. If you are not from India or china, u should do a job, get GC in 1-2 years and your prospects would be much better, although taking a break in non academic place will definitely be negative. But thats an option

You have outstanding credentials, I really don't know why you have not gotten more IVs. But. I heard from one Midwest PD that they have "automatic filters" to screen out candidates with USMLE scores: Minimum 220 for AMGs and 240 for IMGs. They wont even look at an application even if you have earth shattering research unless of course someone (Mentor or faculty) makes a phone call and requests to look at your application. I am sure many programs have similar filters. This is an example of "realistic and brutal picture" of GI fellowship. But, one thing that makes me upset is that most programs do NOT report/publish their minimum USMLE scores or other criteria on their website or ERAS although they have these insane screening criteria. They don't have to dig through 300-400 applications if they honestly report what they are looking for a candidate to qualify for an interview.

For you, only negative perhaps is H1B visa. Remember, all you need is 1 IV to match, but I bet you will get more IVs as the season is not over yet. But, don't lose hope, you did everything you could, and you should be proud.

Did any body hear from UAMS, Rutgers, University of Miami, Henry ford /Wayne state?

AMGs

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections
8/23: UChicago

You have outstanding credentials, I really don't know why you have not gotten more IVs. But. I heard from one Midwest PD that they have "automatic filters" to screen out candidates with USMLE scores: Minimum 220 for AMGs and 240 for IMGs. They wont even look at an application even if you have earth shattering research unless of course someone (Mentor or faculty) makes a phone call and requests to look at your application. I am sure many programs have similar filters. This is an example of "realistic and brutal picture" of GI fellowship. But, one thing that makes me upset is that most programs do NOT report/publish their minimum USMLE scores or other criteria on their website or ERAS although they have these insane screening criteria. They don't have to dig through 300-400 applications if they honestly report what they are looking for a candidate to qualify for an interview.

For you, only negative perhaps is H1B visa. Remember, all you need is 1 IV to match, but I bet you will get more IVs as the season is not over yet. But, don't lose hope, you did everything you could, and you should be proud.

Completely agree with the filters as an IMG on H1B. I emailed many PDs and some (very few) answered saying they had not seen my application and sent invites the next day. I think I was probably screened out by either a filter or a secretary. Think about it, visas are extra work for program coordinators.

Reactions: 1 user
Completely agree with the filters as an IMG on H1B. I emailed many PDs and some (very few) answered saying they had not seen my application and sent invites the next day. I think I was probably screened out by either a filter or a secretary. Think about it, visas are extra work for program coordinators.

Totally. Visa is an easy filter to reduce 600 odd applications to 300 odd in a minute. Reduces work load for everybody who reviews applications. Unless program is pro-IMG, they use this trick to finish work easily. Some PDs review IMGs from big name programs regardless of visa status. Contacts def help to open the application for some real eyes to review it.

Jus as someone mentioned about 50 abstracts above, everybody has 10-20 abstracts easily - case reports, etx. Conferences are built to accept most abstracts and this easily beefs up CV of any applicant. It comes down to quality of residency program and quality of letters, IMPACTFUL research studies.

Unfortunate with visa status issues but the system is not perfect and will never be.

Totally. Visa is an easy filter to reduce 600 odd applications to 300 odd in a minute. Reduces work load for everybody who reviews applications. Unless program is pro-IMG, they use this trick to finish work easily. Some PDs review IMGs from big name programs regardless of visa status. Contacts def help to open the application for some real eyes to review it.

Jus as someone mentioned about 50 abstracts above, everybody has 10-20 abstracts easily - case reports, etx. Conferences are built to accept most abstracts and this easily beefs up CV of any applicant. It comes down to quality of residency program and quality of letters, IMPACTFUL research studies.

Unfortunate with visa status issues but the system is not perfect and will never be.

As a FMG fellowship applicant who went to residency in a uni affiliated community prog with decent scores/no attempts and decent number of real publications besides tons of abstracts, now on a green card after waiver, struggling to get interviews--- I can say that even having a green card will not make that big of difference. it may certainly pass you through some filters. but more important filters are a) residency program b) mentor calling for you

As a FMG fellowship applicant who went to residency in a uni affiliated community prog with decent scores/no attempts and decent number of real publications besides tons of abstracts, now on a green card after waiver, struggling to get interviews--- I can say that even having a green card will not make that big of difference. it may certainly pass you through some filters. but more important filters are a) residency program b) mentor calling for you
Ur situation would have been far different if you had green card during residency. Break between residency and fellowship is seen as a big negative and explains the lesser number of IVs than u should have received. I mentioned in a post last week that ppl who did academic hospitalist for 3-4 years, got 2 to 3 IVs with heavy push from contacts and some of them eventually matched too but it needs lot of luck despite publications and green card

It has been terribly disappointing application this year. I'm an IMG and a naturalized US citizen, I am currently in my 3rd yr IM residency in a small university program. I have excellent research and in different fields, I have master degree, I have decent resume. I know my step 3 score was low but guys having ZERO interviews out of all my applications (81 programs) sounds ridiculous. I donno why but definitely a filter on my app is being applied and it's very frustrating that programs won't tell you what it is. I'm gonna start looking for hospitalist cuz simply it's a waste of time and money applying to this gi.

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections
8/23: UChicago, BIDMC

BIDMC rejection

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

Did any body hear from UAMS, Rutgers, University of Miami, Henry ford /Wayne state?

Henry Ford/ WSU has sent out interviews, don't know if they've sent them all, but have not heard from DMC/ WSU

Everyone, I know this process can be very stressful and unsettling, you all sound like tremendous applicants (and people). I've been much luckier than some and less than others, this week has been just rejections for me too though, and trying not to get nervous. I'd just want to remind everyone of the table someone shared from the prior match reports, there's still at least 25% of programs who have not sent ANY invites. This is in addition to the ones who will send out invites after cancellations. I know of a couple firsthand, and I heard that at least one will not be reviewing applications for "at least a few weeks". All is not lost! (well at least not yet anyway)

It has been terribly disappointing application this year. I'm an IMG and a naturalized US citizen, I am currently in my 3rd yr IM residency in a small university program. I have excellent research and in different fields, I have master degree, I have decent resume. I know my step 3 score was low but guys having ZERO interviews out of all my applications (81 programs) sounds ridiculous. I donno why but definitely a filter on my app is being applied and it's very frustrating that programs won't tell you what it is. I'm gonna start looking for hospitalist cuz simply it's a waste of time and money applying to this gi.
IMG
SMALL UNIVERSITY PROGRAM
LOW STEP 3(what about other steps)
SMALL UNIVERSITY PROGRAM( how small)
81 programs ( why only 81)

GI FELLOWSHIP - fuggedaboutit

IMG
SMALL UNIVERSITY PROGRAM
LOW STEP 3(what about other steps)
SMALL UNIVERSITY PROGRAM( how small)
81 programs ( why only 81)

GI FELLOWSHIP - fuggedaboutit

How many more interviews can we expect at this point !

Even my friend who is IMG, US citizen, from a major state university program, good step scores and decent research has 2 interviews so far... And all different interviews from mine... I have been humbly luckier than most people and less than others (like someone said) and I think my credentials are no better than some folks who mentioned theirs here... I don't know what programs are really looking for, what filters they are using, or is it just so random...

Even my friend who is IMG, US citizen, from a major state university program, good step scores and decent research has 2 interviews so far... And all different interviews from mine... I have been humbly luckier than most people and less than others (like someone said) and I think my credentials are no better than some folks who mentioned theirs here... I don't know what programs are really looking for, what filters they are using, or is it just so random...

From what I heard from a PD, even among IMGs, IMGs coming from top medical schools in their home country are generally better considered compared to Caribbean graduates and DOs if other credentials are similar.

what are your credentials if you do mind sharing?

From what I heard from a PD, even among IMGs, IMGs coming from top medical schools in their home country are generally better considered compared to Caribbean graduates and DOs if other credentials are similar.
and to add to it, applicants from programs like CCF outdo some AMGs from smaller univ programs in terms of quality of ivs and number

Another thing which programs are doing, is checking if that applicant will ever want to come there. E.g NY/North East programs tend to call more people from within their region, and likewise for other regions/states like the west, south, CA, TX etc. This makes it harder for "external" applicants to get calls because of the more number of programs in the North East/East coast region. Granted, most of the IMGs and some AMGs will go anywhere to get a spot but programs don't think like that and sometimes its on the helm of 1 PD or a secretary and biases come into effect.

Another thing which programs are doing, is checking if that applicant will ever want to come there. E.g NY/North East programs tend to call more people from within their region, and likewise for other regions/states like the west, south, CA, TX etc. This makes it harder for "external" applicants to get calls because of the more number of programs in the North East/East coast region. Granted, most of the IMGs and some AMGs will go anywhere to get a spot but programs don't think like that and sometimes its on the helm of 1 PD or a secretary and biases come into effect.
regional bias is rampant. So many ppl(PC, program director, APD) ask u when u go from north east to midwest for an IV. Sometimes it is hard on ppl who want more IVs to convince that they ll transplant from midwest to west coast.

No Interview - Mount Sinai (chucked at the title)

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

8/24: Mount Sinai

Anyone hear from Toledo? and Louisiana programs

No Interview - Mount Sinai (chucked at the title)

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

Yea their title hurts... BIDMC was at least nice and polite...

Rejection: Mount Sinai (title said it all!)
Invite: Stanford

AMGs

8/24: Stanford

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

Rejection: Mount Sinai (title said it all!)
Invite: Stanford

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

Hi, looks like u are applying for second cycle. I see that you are getting more interviews and from good programs. What is your background and what did you do to improve your chances this year? I am just asking as things are not looking optimistic and I can plan for next year

Rejection: Mount Sinai
Invite: Mayo AZ

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs
8/24: Mayo AZ

Rejections

Has anyone heard from any of the other NYC area hospitals?

i.e. Stony Brook, Winthrop, LIJ, Maimo, NYH Queens, Beth Israel, NYMC, Lenox Hill, Methodist, Brookdale, Downstate, Monte, NUMC, Elmhurst, NJMS, Cooper, or Saint Peters University?

Hi, looks like u are applying for second cycle. I see that you are getting more interviews and from good programs. What is your background and what did you do to improve your chances this year? I am just asking as things are not looking optimistic and I can plan for next year

Wish I had anything special to tell you but I don't. Tried to do more research (not impressive compared to what other people are posting), but I've done a lot more research for myself compared to last year. I have better letters this yearand I think that's the difference.

Wish I had anything special to tell you but I don't. Tried to do more research (not impressive compared to what other people are posting), but I've done a lot more research for myself compared to last year. I have better letters this yearand I think that's the difference.
I guess people would like to know if you're reapplying, if you did hospitalist vs chief vs hepatology/Nutrition/motility fellowship etc

Invite: Kaiser LA

AMGs

8/24: Kaiser LA

Visa requiring IMGs
8/24: Mayo AZ

Rejections