Official 2017-2018 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AMGs
7/19: Duke
7/20: Cincinnati
7/22: UMissouri-Columbia
7/24: Lehigh Valley, UF-Jacksonville
7/25: Vanderbilt, Cincinnati
7/26: UTSW, UVA
7/26: OHSU
7/28: UVermont
7/31: VCU, Rutgers-RWJMS
8/1: OHSU, Colorado, URochester, Hopkins
8/2: Henry Ford-WSU, UNC, Yale
8/3: Georgetown, Wake Forest
8/4: cedars-Sinai, georgetown
8/7: Emory, the Ohio state university, BU, MGH

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)
7/24: Lehigh Valley
7/26: OHSU, UTSW
7/27: Ochsner Clinic
7/31: Rutgers-RWJMS
8/3: VTC-Caricllion
8/4: Cedar-Sinai
8/7: University of Florida (Gainesville), Mayo Jacksonville, Emory, UC Davis

Visa requiring IMGs
7/19: Ochsner Clinic
7/26: UT Southwestern Dallas
8/1: Colorado
8/3: Georgetown University
8/7: Emory, VCU, Mayo Jacksonville, UF (Gainesville)

Rejections
7/31: Mayo
8/7: Mayo
8/7: UW

Members don't see this ad.

Dang UW is cold. I was hoping to receive an IV once I noticed above rejection......fast forward to now. Got rejected by UW.
:(

Reactions: 2 users
AMGs
8/8: Brigham

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

Members don't see this ad :)
It's interesting how this selection process goes. My wife got rejected from UW and didn't get the Emory invite, but got Brigham.

It's interesting how this selection process goes. My wife got rejected from UW and didn't get the Emory invite, but got Brigham.

Pretty sure they get out some dice during the selection process.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like not much action today either.

With limited number of interviews to offer, programs are also selecting the best fit and applicants who are also likely to rank them. There is very regional selectivity at some programs as well.

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone get a sense that either everyone in generally applied more broadly than previous years versus this could be a larger than usual applicant pool? Also, does anyone know the "safe" number of IVs needed to match? (I understand there is no true safe number but for IM >7 IV's had over a 90% chance of matching)

does anyone get a sense that either everyone in generally applied more broadly than previous years versus this could be a larger than usual applicant pool? Also, does anyone know the "safe" number of IVs needed to match? (I understand there is no true safe number but for IM >7 IV's had over a 90% chance of matching)
It is hard to say about true applicant pool unless a GI coordinator is able to tell you that information. Every year the trend is towards increasing applicant pool but by marginal numbers and u generally dont use a big sway of >5% increase. GI by default is connections based matching - So the true number is unknown. If a GI program has 4 spots, generally speaking 2 goes to internal candidates. And if there are say 4 residents applying, that is 50% match rate jus within their program. For matching in outside program the odds are pretty tough. For AMGs in univ program, the NNT(number needed to match) is around 5 to 7. IMGs need close to 10 to match outside(without contacts). With contacts, 1 IV is all you need

AMGs

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

This list of partly unreliable and dubious as I have personally contacted PDs/PCs I know who state they have not sent out any invites for their programs yet. It interesting to see phantom invites appear on this forum when none have gone out yet. Guys! Let us not mislead our colleagues to inflate our own egos. So those of you who have not yet obtained invites do not be discouraged looking at this nonsense.

Sending out phantom lists is least helpful in this forum. What is needed is people's experience and tips with previous years interviews, travel, stay logistics and shortlisting strategies. There is no point stating the obvious but what is needed is helpful Q and As in this forum meant to enlighten the applicant pool to match better.

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

This list of partly unreliable and dubious as I have personally contacted PDs/PCs I know who state they have not sent out any invites for their programs yet. It interesting to see phantom invites appear on this forum when none have gone out yet. Guys! Let us not mislead our colleagues to inflate our own egos. So those of you who have not yet obtained invites do not be discouraged looking at this nonsense.

Sending out phantom lists is least helpful in this forum. What is needed is people's experience and tips with previous years interviews, travel, stay logistics and shortlisting strategies. There is no point stating the obvious but what is needed is helpful Q and As in this forum meant to enlighten the applicant pool to match better.
We got a cray cray in the house!

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

I can't comment for sure about this. But I do know that there are programs listed on this interview list which were high on my priority list. I called a handful of them and they told me that some interviews have been sent, but overall they are still reviewing applicants for other interview dates. BWH is one of them. Another example is my own experience of getting Ochsner invite days after the initial invite was sent/posted on this forum (the dual invitation sent out date was confirmed by the program).

I think most of us are posting in good faith.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's not forget that people may also be posting interviews from their home institutions, which are not indicative of interview invites for other applicants.

Last edited:
I can't comment for sure about this. But I do know that there are programs listed on this interview list which were high on my priority list. I called a handful of them and they told me that some interviews have been sent, but overall they are still reviewing applicants for other interview dates. BWH is one of them. Another example is my own experience of getting Ochsner invite days after the initial invite was sent/posted on this forum (the dual invitation sent out date was confirmed by the program).

I think most of us are posting in good faith.
I agree that most people are posting in good faith. I'm not sure what anyone has to gain for falsely posting interviews...

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

You may be partly correct. But I can attest to many of these being true invites as well. So let's not see everything with the same lens.

May be you can set an example for all of us. Start by sharing "people's experience and tips with previous years interviews, travel, stay logistics and shortlisting strategies, helpful Q and As in this forum meant to enlighten the applicant pool to match better". And hopefully all of us will pitch in as we gain more experience.

Thanks to all of you guys who are genuinely sharing their iVs and experience here. Keep it up.

AMGs
8/4: Cedars-Sinai, Georgetown
8/7: Emory, Ohio State, BU, MGH
8/9: Georgetown

8/3: VTC-Carillion
8/7: UF (Gainesville), Mayo Jacksonville, Emory, UC Davis

Visa requiring IMGs
7/26: UTSW-Dallas

Rejections

AMGs
8/9: Georgetown, WVU

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections
8/9: Uni of Missouri-Columbia

UNM
AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs
8/9: UNM

Rejections

One would only hope that programs review each application as a whole, rather than using various filters. GI programs probably receive applications in the hundreds rather than thousands, as is the case for IM. Also, where the applicants trained as Medical Students (either US or beyond) should be less important, but rather where they trained for residency and their performance in residency should be more important selection criteria.

One would only hope that programs review each application as a whole, rather than using various filters. GI programs probably receive applications in the hundreds rather than thousands, as is the case for IM. Also, where the applicants trained as Medical Students (either US or beyond) should be less important, but rather where they trained for residency and their performance in residency should be more important selection criteria.
I will tell you what is the flaw in your methodology. Where you did medical school is among the most important factors for residency selection plus visa status. There are hardly 50 IMGs who made it to the top IM programs out of nearly 1500-2000 spots in those programs. Most IMGs end up in community programs or lesser known univ programs. Where u did residency is STILL THE NUMBER ONE FACTOR in GI fellowship match and given residency selection is biased against IMGs, they suffer from not being able to enter top residencies and matching in competitive fellowships become an uphill task. If you are AMG and you went to top 25 residency programs, u are almost guaranteed to match with minimal research vs someone from community program needs to work twice to thrice as much to have any chance

I asked my friend in a fellowship program to ask his coordinator how many applications were in. She said 567 applications for 4 spots

Some programs automatically cut out IMGs/FMGs/DO applicants. I know this because I spoke with a PD of one of these programs (I know I'm n=1, but it still tells you something about the process).

I don't think we can establish clear cut criteria by saying what type of program a particular category of applicant will match into. While it is true that FMGs have an uphill battle, there are still plenty of top tier programs who take in FMGs/IMGs. At the same time there are plenty of AMGs who are struggling to get University program interviews.

It's not easy for anyone. Everyone has their own challenge to overcome.

In the end SDN is basically one person's opinion over another. I am no exception to this as I'm sure people will comment to state the contrary.

I asked my friend in a fellowship program to ask his coordinator how many applications were in. She said 567 applications for 4 spots

damn that is crazy.

side comment on one of the above posters. I seriously doubt anyone is posting false invites. No one has time for that ****.

Invites will come. I know some of my coresidents last year started getting invites around this time and ended up with about 11 or so.

AMGs
8/9: Georgetown, WVU, UCLA

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

AMGs
8/9: Georgetown, WVU, UCLA, NYU

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

UCLA Rejection

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections
8/9: UCLA

UCLA rejection

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

AMGs

7/29: University of MO columbia

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections
8/10: Vanderbilt

AMGs
8:10: Pittsburgh

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

8/10: Michigan

AMGs
8/7: Emory, Ohio State, BU, MGH, Florida-Gainesville
8/10: Pittsburgh, Michigan

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

8/11: Cleveland Clinic Florida

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

Hi, all.
I'm new to this thread.
Some people talking about Step 1 cut off of 230.
Is this somehow true?
talking about IMG

Hi, all.
I'm new to this thread.
Is this somehow true?
talking about IMG

I think that a tough question for which there will not be a definite answer, unless that answer is "it depends on the program". Hard to tell objectively, saw an exact number on very few sites, and I feel when I did see it it was in the 200-220 range, or said that you couldn't have failed any. You could pursue the previously published match data to see numbers are out there but every year the pool is different. I know that AMG or IMG, the programs favor higher scores. I know for my residency program, they sort all the applicants by different metrics, one of which is USMLE scores and filters out those who do not meet a specific cutoff, that cutoff changes with the pool or other factors. I imagine it is similar with fellowship. If you are awash in candidates with high scores your filter will be higher, if not then lower for example. I think the key is still that there are other things programs weigh- letters, connections, research, pedigree that may supersede any particular feature of an app.

TLDR Regardless of type of applicant, cuttoffs for specific programs aren't clearly stated, there is certainly no uniform number, prior match reports might have data.

Closing off this week with "0".

Congrats to those who've been putting up impressive numbers. Good luck to the rest of us over the next 2 weeks.

AMGs
8/11: MCW

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

Hi, all.
I'm new to this thread.
Is this somehow true?
talking about IMG
In a sense scores matter in GI match coz ppl with higher scores(inc AMGs) match into higher ranked residency programs(not always but true in about 90% of the residents). And Where u do residency is the single most independent factor in GI match. The better the program, the better your chances. For those reasons, IMGs from smaller community programs dont get as many IVs
In short, indirectly scores affect GI match. Specifically any attempts on any exam is considered big red flag. No sure of magical cut off number though.

Hope this reply was helpful for you. One factor that shatters all shackles is contacts.

AMGs
8/3: Georgetown, Wake Forest, Jackson Memorial Miami
8/9: Georgetown, WVU, UCLA, NYU, University of New Mexico, Wake Forest
8/11: MCW, Cleveland Clinic Florida

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

AMGs

8/11: Vidant

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

In a sense scores matter in GI match coz ppl with higher scores(inc AMGs) match into higher ranked residency programs(not always but true in about 90% of the residents). And Where u do residency is the single most independent factor in GI match. The better the program, the better your chances. For those reasons, IMGs from smaller community programs dont get as many IVs
In short, indirectly scores affect GI match. Specifically any attempts on any exam is considered big red flag. No sure of magical cut off number though.

Hope this reply was helpful for you. One factor that shatters all shackles is contacts.

People are talking about scores, research experience, publications bla bla bla.......Only connection matters in GI. Just go to a program with in-house GI fellowship and make a deal with upper level people, work there for 3-4 years as chief resident, attending (at pathetic floors like medpsych floor where no one wants to work), then you will get GI fellowship.

People are talking about scores, research experience, publications bla bla bla.......Only connection matters in GI. Just go to a program with in-house GI fellowship and make a deal with upper level people, work there for 3-4 years as chief resident, attending (at pathetic floors like medpsych floor where no one wants to work), then you will get GI fellowship.
Not everyone has connections and many ppl dont have in house/ have too many candidates in house. Although in house chief and/or attending helps, it takes years away from what is passionate for that resident.

Many applicants who dont match and end up taking academic hospitalist in a place with GI fellowship have been bogged down by all internal politics. many ppl dont make it. even the ones who eventually are taken, spend close to 3 to 4 years in that place and keep showing your face, get publications, get excellent reviews to stay in contention. Its much harder than actually doing GI fellowship to be honest

Interview Swap Request

I have an interview on 9/30 at the University of Missouri-Columbia, and am having difficulty making it. I could probably make it literally any other day, is there someone willing to swap dates? Thanks!

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs
8/10: BWH

Rejections

AMGs
8/11: MCW, Cleveland Clinic Florida, UPenn
8/12: Mt. Sinai

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

AMGs
7/27: MGH
7/28: Mayo Rochester

8/2: Henry Ford-WSU, UNC, Yale, Hopkins
8/10: Pittsburgh, Michigan, Brigham, UChicago, UCLA
8/11: MCW, Cleveland Clinic Florida, UPenn, Columbia
8/12: Mt. Sinai

Visa requiring IMGs

Rejections

so 46 out of 160 odd programs sent invites by now?
And unfortunately there are a few that have not been entered included in this list. So, the real number may be close to 70-80. Another program I know of that has sent out all its IV is lahey clinic