NSU-COM class of 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when did you find out which society you were in last year?

Members don't see this ad.

Booster, did you have actual classes during orientation week? Or was it like getting to know faculty and classmates thing? How many classes did you take per semester? Do you feel that there are too many fluff classes (Spanish medical, etc.) beside science classes? Overall how do you feel about the first year? Are you happy with your decision to come to NSU? Thanks a lot :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Booster, did you have actual classes during orientation week? Or was it like getting to know faculty and classmates thing? How many classes did you take per semester? Do you feel that there are too many fluff classes (Spanish medical, etc.) beside science classes? Overall how do you feel about the first year? Are you happy with your decision to come to NSU? Thanks a lot :)

We had some classes the first week of orientation. Classes like Medicine, Health and Society (aka MHS) and OPP will definitely be introduced the first week of orientation, if not more classes. The first day or two, you get welcome speeches from the dean and faculty, they tell you everything you need to do (parking decals, NOVA ID card, etc.) and discuss things like student health center and insurance, policies, etc. First semester we took 32 credits which consisted of about 8-10 classes/labs. This semester we were not required to take medical spanish. The only "fluff" class we have is MHS where we are required to be there, but not graded. Grade is based on attendance and completion of activities/exercises. So no, there are not an overwhelming number of fluff classes. You will definitely have your work cut out for you when you are here. Some have a difficult time adjusting to the workload (32 credits last semester, 22 or 23 this semester). But if you just hit the ground running, and put in the time and effort, you will be fine.

First year went by FAST. It is really crazy how fast time flies by when you are in medical school. NSU has provided a really good foundation for basic sciences (although you will always hear of people complaining about a class/professor) but overall, it was a really good first year and you learn a ton. I definitely feel like they are preparing us well for boards. Plus everyone here is friendly. The faculty is awesome and really helpful. Other students are always there to help when needed. Its a good atmosphere. So yes, I am happy with my decision to come to NSU and would choose to go here again if given my same choices.

booster!

great information!!! thank you so much! i do have another question though. i noticed on the academic calendar there is a summer session from like may 9 to some time in july or august. is this like a summer break you can use for research at nsu or other schools/a job/missions trips, orrrr is this a summer session filled with more classes that are mandatory and cannot be missed to do the former list of things??

Last edited:
booster!

great information!!! thank you so much! i do have another question though. i noticed on the academic calendar there is a summer session from like may 9 to some time in july or august. is this like a summer break you can use for research at nsu or other schools/a job/missions trips, orrrr is this a summer session filled with more classes that are mandatory and cannot be missed to do the former list of things??

Our summer session starts May 9th, and will consist of a couple classes that are mandatory. It ends May 27th, so only 3 weeks of classes. Then we have a break until July 5th, and we resume our 2nd summer session. I forget when that ends, and when exactly our fall semester starts though. So basically we have about 5 weeks off to do research, mission trips, relax etc. However, there are plenty of mission trips scheduled throughout the year (mainly during breaks such as Winter break, spring break and summer break) if you want to do those then.

Booster, or any other current students, when do students complete the MPH if they're going to do that as well? I can't really find anything on the website about how many DO students do this or how competitive it is to get into the program, etc.

I am trying to figure out a budget before I accept my financial aid/get a PLUS loan and I wonder if I should include for MPH tuition, etc.

Also, is there anywhere on Nova's website that has the costs for the MPH and also for the international trips during breaks, because I do remember from interview that we had to cover the costs of those ourselves...

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have! :)

Booster, or any other current students, when do students complete the MPH if they're going to do that as well? I can't really find anything on the website about how many DO students do this or how competitive it is to get into the program, etc.

I am trying to figure out a budget before I accept my financial aid/get a PLUS loan and I wonder if I should include for MPH tuition, etc.

Also, is there anywhere on Nova's website that has the costs for the MPH and also for the international trips during breaks, because I do remember from interview that we had to cover the costs of those ourselves...

I think the MPH is free for DO students with the scholarship (which most people get, if I remember correctly).

I am personally not enrolled in the MPH program, but I have a lot of friends/classmates who are. I dont know how many students exactly from our class are doing it, but if I had to guess...probably about 10-20%. I don't believe it is competitive at all. I am pretty sure as long as you say you want to do the MPH, you are in. I think they said it came to about $60 a credit (this is what I remember, it may or may not be different than $60/credit), but I am unsure of how many credits that need to be completed and whether there is a scholarship available or not. They started their MPH classes the second semester in the 1st year. I am unsure how to calculate this into loans, and whether they would give you any more financial assistance. I do not know where on the Nova's website you could find such information. Perhaps calling up admissions would help.

As far as the international trips, those have to be funded by the student. They range from ~$700 to $1500 dollars for each trip, depending on travel expenses (airline, hotel, food, etc.) and how long you will be there.

Thanks a lot! I emailed Ellen and Dr. Whitehead , so we'll see what kind of info I get. I'll post what I find out on this thread :)

Thanks a lot! I emailed Ellen and Dr. Whitehead , so we'll see what kind of info I get. I'll post what I find out on this thread :)

he writes:

There will be a seminar in late fall term about dual degree programs for all M1 students that you give you detailed information. You cannot start any dual degrees until after the first year, first term.

I just received an email from Ellen giving an estimated budget. ~$44500 for OOS folks like me :eek: I'm gonna be in debt forever :(

Attachments

• M1 budget.pdf
    33.3 KB · Views: 119
Anyone else still not have anything listed under financial aid award in webstar?? I will be looking for apartments this coming week and was hoping to be able to show the landlord by award.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an email from Ellen giving an estimated budget. ~$44500 for OOS folks like me :eek: I'm gonna be in debt forever :(

Did tuition go up 10%? At this rate, it will be 60K for year 4.:scared:

Anyone else still not have anything listed under financial aid award in webstar?? I will be looking for apartments this coming week and was hoping to be able to show the landlord by award.
Just show them a copy of the M1 budget. You can also ask financial aid to write you a letter stating that you are an accepted student and you have applied for financial aid. That is what I used and I had no problem at all getting a townhouse. Just waiting for the HOA process to be done....

Good sweet lord this is starting to get painful.... :mad:

Yeah, for some reasons, I thought the tuition this year will be about 42,000 which I thought was already a huge amount... :( You guys think they will keep up with this trend of 10% increase every year? Can some upperclassmen students shed some light on this?

Funny bit about the societies. I was part of the Anderson Society. During my interview at Sinai-Grace for Surgery I ended up interviewing with Dr. Anderson himself one on one. Legend in the osteopathic community and civil rights movement.

Yeah, for some reasons, I thought the tuition this year will be about 42,000 which I thought was already a huge amount... :( You guys think they will keep up with this trend of 10% increase every year? Can some upperclassmen students shed some light on this?

I'm out of state. I started at $34,000, then I think it was $36, then came a huge jump and I stopped paying attention. Glad I dont have to pay any more tuition.

Picked up my white coat today!!! So sweet :)
Still no financial award, think I will call them as getting a little nervous.

Anyone know if we have to carry florida car insurance if we're coming from out of state?

Anyone know if we have to carry florida car insurance if we're coming from out of state?
Yes. Legally once you move here you have to switch your license and you have to get car insurance.

As for financial aid, my gradplus also showed up today. My status has not changed from OOS to IS so they have offered me $85,917.00 --- $28,500 is gradplus and the rest in sub/unsub loans. Now it figure out how much of the maximum I want to take...

Yes. Legally once you move here you have to switch your license and you have to get car insurance.

As for financial aid, my gradplus also showed up today. My status has not changed from OOS to IS so they have offered me $85,917.00 --- $28,500 is gradplus and the rest in sub/unsub loans. Now it figure out how much of the maximum I want to take...

But we don't have to change the registration or title on our OOS car, right?

I have california plates =(

I hate to be adversarial or step on any toes, but we need to put this to bed:

1) http://www.dmv.com/fl/florida/vehicle-registration

Scroll down to "additional information"

"If you are a non-resident active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces or a non-resident full-time student attending a Florida college or university, you are not required to title or register your vehicle."

2) http://law.onecle.com/florida/motor-vehicles/322.031.html

"Any nonresident who is enrolled as a full-time student in any such institution of higher learning is also exempt from the requirement of obtaining a Florida driver's license for the duration of such enrollment. "

So if you keep your parents' address as your legal address (I'm 25 and have had no problem doing this in the past and plan on doing it when I move down) you do not need to deal with registration or driver's license. We are full time students and are treated the same way as undergrads for legal purposes.

I hate to be adversarial or step on any toes, but we need to put this to bed:

1) http://www.dmv.com/fl/florida/vehicle-registration

Scroll down to "additional information"

"If you are a non-resident active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces or a non-resident full-time student attending a Florida college or university, you are not required to title or register your vehicle."

2) http://law.onecle.com/florida/motor-vehicles/322.031.html

"Any nonresident who is enrolled as a full-time student in any such institution of higher learning is also exempt from the requirement of obtaining a Florida driver's license for the duration of such enrollment. "

So if you keep your parents' address as your legal address (I'm 25 and have had no problem doing this in the past and plan on doing it when I move down) you do not need to deal with registration or driver's license. We are full time students and are treated the same way as undergrads for legal purposes.

Thanks, Banana. :)

Withdrew my acceptance today. I really did like NSU. Great campus. Great clinical opportunities. Great educational opportunity in the discounted MPH program.

The cost of NSU for OOS is out of control. I understand some of the reasons why the costs of a medical education are high, but routine 10+% increases in tuition are absurd. I think a "living with in our means" conversation with school administrators is in order.

In the rapidly changing healthcare environment, if physician compensation changes (unlikely...? but really...who knows what will happen) than life is going to be very difficulty financially when staring down the barrel at hundreds of thousands of dollars of student debt. Pretty much puts low paying areas of medicine (ie FP) out of reach, financially.

I wish everyone the best! I'm sure you'll get a great education!

man, I might be late, but I still need to look at housing. have any of you decided where you guys will live? I know Bravo recommended Sundance, Sunforest, Royal Grand, Palm trace, and Gardens at Nova as places that are really close. he also said Sundance and Sunforest are only walking distance away from the campus.

I'm gonna fly down from NJ 2nd week of June to check some of these places out, but I definitely want to live in an area where a majority of NSU med students will be living (not undergrads).

Hey Guys, I'm an M3 at NSU (about to be M4) and have a bunch of furniture (full house of it) for sale. I live close to campus so you can pick it up when you arrive for class. Or I can deliver it if you are close.

Full sized wooden desk and chair $120
Wood Bookshelf (5 shelves) $40
Dining room set with 4 chairs $40
Cloth sectional Sofa (just cleaned) $450
Wood coffee table with extension leaf $40
Black TV stand with sliding glass doors $40
19" PC screen $50
Stainless outdoor grill $75
Patio set with umbrella and 6 chairs and cushions, table is about 7' long $350
Entire bedroom set: bed + mattress, 2 nightstands, 2 sets of drawers (all in black lacquer paint) basically unused (in spare bedroom in house) EVERYTHING for $400
Steel baker's rack for storage $30
Iron wine rack, stores ~ 16-20 bottles $30

And a lot more stuff....., let me know and I can send pics! Stuff will be on Craigslist also, so first come first serve. Just think, it's a lot cheaper and easier than moving stuff down and/or buying it once you are here!

[email protected]

-Andrew

man, I might be late, but I still need to look at housing. have any of you decided where you guys will live? I know Bravo recommended Sundance, Sunforest, Royal Grand, Palm trace, and Gardens at Nova as places that are really close. he also said Sundance and Sunforest are only walking distance away from the campus.

I'm gonna fly down from NJ 2nd week of June to check some of these places out, but I definitely want to live in an area where a majority of NSU med students will be living (not undergrads).

In my opinion, avoiding the crazy traffic in the morning makes living close enough to walk to campus unbeatable. I'm going to be living in Sundance next year :) From what I hear tons of DO students live in all those places you mentioned - on my interview one of the students I talked to recommended Sundance. That and walking distance is why I chose it... Also both the facebook group for the class of 2015 the NSU website has a lot of helpful information on housing! They recommend this link: http://nova.och101.com/

In my opinion, avoiding the crazy traffic in the morning makes living close enough to walk to campus unbeatable. I'm going to be living in Sundance next year :) From what I hear tons of DO students live in all those places you mentioned - on my interview one of the students I talked to recommended Sundance. That and walking distance is why I chose it... Also both the facebook group for the class of 2015 the NSU website has a lot of helpful information on housing! They recommend this link: http://nova.och101.com/

I'm leaning towards Sundance, but I was also thinking that I may be able to find a cheaper place that's maybe 10-15 minutes away and get a cheap car. I also heard Sundance has a discount for NSU students. Do you happen to know how much that is??

is anyone living in fort lauderdale? or making the equivalent commute? or has it been done by previous 1st year students? I know it's more ideal to live closer to campus but how often is one going back and forth?

is anyone living in fort lauderdale? or making the equivalent commute? or has it been done by previous 1st year students? I know it's more ideal to live closer to campus but how often is one going back and forth?

There are some people who live 45-60 min away and come to class 1-2 days a week. Then again, there are people who live across the street and only show up for required labs and exams. If you plan on being in class everyday, I'd recommend living somewhat close to campus. Downtown fort lauderdale isn't too bad of a drive, depending on the time of day. Traffic is really hit-or-miss down here.

Figure there will be at least 2 days a week you will be required to be in labs or class. Actually, this last semester we had 3 days a week where we had classes that required attendance.

I will be living in Hollywood. Got a really nice 2br townhouse adjacent to a lake. I did a trial drive and only took me like 12 minutes to get to the school. I just took the local street and didn't really have much traffic. Maybe depends on time of day but seemed really close.

I will be living in Hollywood. Got a really nice 2br townhouse adjacent to a lake. I did a trial drive and only took me like 12 minutes to get to the school. I just took the local street and didn't really have much traffic. Maybe depends on time of day but seemed really close.

how much did you get a place like that for if you don't mind me asking?

Ft. Lauderdale isn't bad for commute simply because during rush hour you are going the opposite way of most traffic, so it is not bad.

Hey Guys,

I know everyone is really occupied with finding a place to stay and financial aid, but I was wondering if anyone knows the requirements / competitiveness of the research fellowship program (possibly a current student?)

Other than that, good luck with moving and getting all the loans in order! If anyone is freaking out about their residency status Nova told me that they just started looking at the paperwork and that it will take 2-3 weeks to update the information or provide updates to requirements.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I locked in a place in Cameron Cove. Seemed like the best deal for living alone.

The rent is $950 for a 1/1, includes water and trash, and FREE AC!

The only thing they didn't have was a washer/dryer in the units, but there are laundry rooms next to the pool. Maybe that will force me to get my pasty self some sun.:thumbup:

Hey Guys,

I know everyone is really occupied with finding a place to stay and financial aid, but I was wondering if anyone knows the requirements / competitiveness of the research fellowship program (possibly a current student?)

Other than that, good luck with moving and getting all the loans in order! If anyone is freaking out about their residency status Nova told me that they just started looking at the paperwork and that it will take 2-3 weeks to update the information or provide updates to requirements.

Not very competitive my year, but it may vary year-to-year.

Hello!

Congratulations to all the new incoming students!

To those of you looking for places to live:

I am now an M3 and have lived in "Plantation Colony" apartments for my first 2 years here and I have to say I was VERY happy.

They offer a 3% discount to nova students
there are jogging trails behind the complex
they are within walking distance of brand new Publix supermarket (really... like a 5 minute walk)
5 minutes from class
and about 5 minutes from the Mall.

I highly recommend it!

in response to an earlier question about how strict nova is about dress code...not that strict...i mean you should probably stick to the dress code for the first 2 weeks or something...but after that alot of ppl stop wearing scrub tops and start with the sandals....however they are becoming strict with being in dress code for exams so dont risk it then :)

in response to an earlier question about how strict nova is about dress code...not that strict...i mean you should probably stick to the dress code for the first 2 weeks or something...but after that alot of ppl stop wearing scrub tops and start with the sandals....however they are becoming strict with being in dress code for exams so dont risk it then :)

Is it ok to wear any type of sneakers? Like I have blue nikes with a yellow swoosh.they are not too flashy or anything but would that be a problem? Or is it only business casual allowed? Thanks!

Is it ok to wear any type of sneakers? Like I have blue nikes with a yellow swoosh.they are not too flashy or anything but would that be a problem? Or is it only business casual allowed? Thanks!

I saw people walking around in those ciel blue scrubs and flip flops. Pretty sure it's ok.

Yes, it is okay to wear whatever closed shoe you want. As the semester goes on (after a few weeks), you will see people start to wear sandals. You are not supposed to wear sandals, but people do anyways, and I do not think there has been any incidents where someone has gotten into trouble over it. Although when you are in anatomy lab, you must wear closed shoes (heel and toe).

What are you all putting for your names on your white coats? Are you doing First Middle Last, First M. Last, First Last, or First M Last?

I just did the old first last. I don't go by first initial last, nor first middle last so I figured write what I would say when I introduce myself.

Just the shortened form of my first name and last name.
Nothin' special, as long as they know who I am.

Anyone knows when we have to order the white coat before?

Anyone knows when we have to order the white coat before?

This is what it says on the DO class of 2015 group web page. You should check out the group page if you haven't already!

"To order your White Coat, please go to www.webmedbooks.com/nova Orders must be recieved by July 1st in order to be available for the White Coat Ceremony. "