NSU-COM class of 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
money taken, voicemail left. class of 2015! woo!

Saaaaaaaaame here!! Now to get started with loans.... no idea where to start :p

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the code you use for FAFSA just for NSU?
I just used the one for NSU, there was not one specific to the COM. They received it like that so I would assume that is what they want.

Just got accepted today to the class of 2015! very excited! I grew up and still live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, so any questions Id be happy to try and give some answers! Looking forward to August

Is the code you use for FAFSA just for NSU?

If that's where you've settled on, then yes. You can indicate multiple school codes, however and make corrections later at any time once you settle on a place for sure. Best to get in the pipeline ASAP.

The longer you wait, the less money you get (at least in subsidized loans).

Is anyone ordering their white coat yet? I am thinking of ordering it soon and picking it up in May at the bookstore when I go to look for apartments. Do most people just order one coat? Can't wait to pick it up and see my name on it, on top of the words "student physician". So cool! :)

Is anyone ordering their white coat yet? I am thinking of ordering it soon and picking it up in May at the bookstore when I go to look for apartments. Do most people just order one coat? Can't wait to pick it up and see my name on it, on top of the words "student physician". So cool! :)

They ain't cheap, I don't see why you'd order more than one if you're willing to wash it every once in a while.

I'm actually doing the exact same thing you are. Going down in May to figure out housing.

Hey Guys, so I got my FAFSA in a while back but I havent heard anything about my residency status form. If i need any more supporting documents to go with it do they email you? or is all of that handled in May-July? :confused:

Hey Guys, so I got my FAFSA in a while back but I havent heard anything about my residency status form. If i need any more supporting documents to go with it do they email you? or is all of that handled in May-July? :confused:
I took my residency papers directly to them because I happened to be there for other reasons one day. They told me that they would not even be looking at the papers until the summer.

YAY!! got an email last week that I was accepted too!! :soexcited:I am so relieved but now realizing that theres so much to do to get ready for the move. Anyone know when orientation begins?

YAY!! got an email last week that I was accepted too!! :soexcited:I am so relieved but now realizing that theres so much to do to get ready for the move. Anyone know when orientation begins?

August 1, from what I understand. It's concurrent with the first week of classes.

I wish they'd hurry up and post a calendar already...:mad:

Also, where you coming from, DO2Bby?

+1

Also happy to help out here if anyone has questions. I'm a 1st year here. Congrats again!

Hello,
Do you remember about what week you all started last year? Also, any feedback on renting places near campus, ie are the affordable and comfortable places near campus gone pretty early in the game or could i wait until closer to school starting (ie end of July) to move down and search for a place? Thanks! Sooo excited :biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my residency papers directly to them because I happened to be there for other reasons one day. They told me that they would not even be looking at the papers until the summer.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I didnt forget anything :)

August 1, from what I understand. It's concurrent with the first week of classes.

I wish they'd hurry up and post a calendar already...:mad:

Also, where you coming from, DO2Bby?

I am originally from South FL (about an hr north of Ft Laud) but I am currently working and living in DC. I am scheduled to work until 7/31 but I think I will be leaving a couple of weeks earlier now.
And yess, itd be a huge help for them to just post the calendar!! Glad you all at least have heard 8/1 because thats a lot more than i knew before!

Is there something I'm missing here... did you guys skip inputting your parents financial information? Mine do not have totals yet.

Dates that are known:

White Coat Ceremony - Sunday August 7
Classes/Orientation - Monday August 8

White coat can be ordered here - http://www.webmedbooks.com/nova

If you have not done so, join the C/O 2015 group on sharklink and facebook.

Is there something I'm missing here... did you guys skip inputting your parents financial information? Mine do not have totals yet.

If you filed independently this year, don't put it. If you're claimed as a dependent, input the information. What you can do if your parents dont have their tax info is use the previous year's tax returns to estimate the information and then submit so at least the application gets processed. When your parents do their taxes, just go back and make corrections. You can do this up until the summer.

If you filed independently this year, don't put it. If you're claimed as a dependent, input the information. What you can do if your parents dont have their tax info is use the previous year's tax returns to estimate the information and then submit so at least the application gets processed. When your parents do their taxes, just go back and make corrections. You can do this up until the summer.

Hehe, I asked because i had never filled out the information before, even for college. I just submitted it without my parents information for now. Thanks for the help!

Provisionally accepted!! Ft Lauderdale here I come!!! :D

I'm driving down from Oregon. Gonna ship my stuff to a friends house down there and my wife and I are going to take a month to drive down and do a bunch of camping, it's going to be awesome. See you guys down there!

Hey everyone, I am a current M1 and this is the schedule for next year that the university currently has given us. Someone mentioned that your class group on sharlink has the white coat ceremony on the 7th instead of the 14. I will ask and find out the exact date soon. If anyone has any questions drop me a line. good luck moving down here!

August 1 M1 orientation/classes start
August 7 Opening Exercises/.White Coat Ceremony (Family)
August 8, 2011 Fall Term Begins
September 6, 2011 Labor Day, No Classes
November 24-27, 2011 Thanksgiving Holiday, University Closed
December 9, 2011 M1, M2 Fall Didactic Courses Ends
December 24 – Jan 2, 2011 Winter Break, University Closed
January 3, 2012 Winter Term Begins
January 16, 2012 Martin Luther King Jr. Day, No Classes
March 12 - 16, 2012 Spring Recess. No M1, M2 Classes
May 5, 2012 Winter Term Ends
May 7, 2012 Summer Term Begins
May 14, 2012 Summer Term Registration Ends
May 25, 2012 M1 didactic Classes End/End of M1 Year
May 28 –July 1, 2012 M1 Community Service Activities
July 2, 2012 M2 Courses Begins/Summer Session II
July 4 , 2012 Independence Day, University Closed
August 3, 2012 Summer Term Ends
August 6, 2012 Fall Term Begins
August 13, 2012 Fall Term Registration Ends

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I am a current M1 and this is the schedule for next year that the university currently has given us. Someone mentioned that your class group on sharlink has the white coat ceremony on the 7th instead of the 14. I will ask and find out the exact date soon. If anyone has any questions drop me a line. good luck moving down here!

Thanks so much for the calendar!
Also, I spoke to Ellen Rondino in admissions and she confirmed that the White Coat Ceremony is on Sunday, 08/07/11

If I understood Ellen correctly, it will be mostly online and the week before...

I was able to figure out the right dates today at school. The M1s orientation and classes begin august 1 (We like to mix them in together here). The ceremony will be on the 7th, and the official start of the fall semester will be on the 8th.

Everything else on that calendar should be right....but the school likes to change things.

I would get down a week before if possible. this past year lots of students got together and organized outings to the beach and bars via facebook before classes started in order to meet people.

I was able to figure out the right dates today at school. The M1s orientation and classes begin august 1 (We like to mix them in together here). The ceremony will be on the 7th, and the official start of the fall semester will be on the 8th.

Everything else on that calendar should be right....but the school likes to change things.

I would get down a week before if possible. this past year lots of students got together and organized outings to the beach and bars via facebook before classes started in order to meet people.

Thanks for the info., gambit378 :D

The proverbial medicine tab is finally up on sharklink :laugh:

So can some current students explain more about the fiasco with the scramble of this year at NSU? I heard ppl talking and I'm getting a little worried since I don't exactly know the detail and there is only one person's opinion.

So can some current students explain more about the fiasco with the scramble of this year at NSU? I heard ppl talking and I'm getting a little worried since I don't exactly know the detail and there is only one person's opinion.

Yeah more info would be nice. I guess it's a little too optimistic to hope things improve in a year or two, but just so we get a complete picture of what's going on, can anyone else throw in their two cents?

yaaaa :D

although I gotta admit, bravotwozero over in the pre-med nsu thread is psyching me out a bit.

There will always be naysayers wherever you go, not just in school but at work, etc. If there are problems that need to be addressed at Nova and the administration isn't dealing with them, then the student body can and should partner with the administration to see what works best.

I might sound naively optimistic, but that's probably because I came from a tiny liberal arts college and things that needed to be changed got changed when they weren't good for the students.

Also, I still don't understand why people (who are going to be doctors!) think that community service and learning Spanish are a pain in the ass. Yes, there are a finite amount of hours in the day, but these things are there to make us better doctors for our patients.

End rant.

There will always be naysayers wherever you go, not just in school but at work, etc. If there are problems that need to be addressed at Nova and the administration isn't dealing with them, then the student body can and should partner with the administration to see what works best.

I might sound naively optimistic, but that's probably because I came from a tiny liberal arts college and things that needed to be changed got changed when they weren't good for the students.

Also, I still don't understand why people (who are going to be doctors!) think that community service and learning Spanish are a pain in the ass. Yes, there are a finite amount of hours in the day, but these things are there to make us better doctors for our patients.

End rant.

I agree with you on this point. I don't understand there are so many ppl saying negative things about the community service and medical Spanish. When I interviewed there, the school was pretty up front about it. You know what you are getting in once you decide to join: medical Spanish and 80 hours community service will be part of it whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Why join and then whine about it?

I agree with you on this point. I don't understand there are so many ppl saying negative things about the community service and medical Spanish. When I interviewed there, the school was pretty up front about it. You know what you are getting in once you decide to join: medical Spanish and 80 hours community service will be part of it whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Why join and then whine about it?

Yeah I don't get this either. Optional or not, I'm very appreciative of the chance to learn a language that can help me communicate with a wider patient base. Here in CA it's invaluable, and in FL more so, I'm guessing.

Also why are people whining about 80 hours over a year or two? As an undergrad I'd do that many hours about once a month, and I'm currently working full time and managing about the same.

Sure, the medical courseload is intense, but I'm very doubtful that 80 hours is a real imposition.

I heard about him secondhand. He didn't match EM, had to scramble, (personal circumstances)

the school administration offered NO HELP during the scramble (a very valid point that you should all take into account when you come here)

he ended scrambling in a state far away from his wife and is now venting. (personal circumstances)

What should you guys take from this? Study hard during preclinicals. Find the best hospitals we have and do your cores in them. Don't put all your eggs in one basket if you are unsure of matching into the specialty of your choice. Apply to a backup specialty and a backup to a backup specialty and be ready to scramble if you don't match. Be ready. Be resourceful. Be strong willed. Make lots of friends, they are useful.

The scramble was a fiasco in general that wasn't relegated to just NSU.

i just logged into my sharklink for the first time today. how come i dont see that medicine tab that you guys are referring to?

Possible that they haven't activated it for everyone yet-especially if you interviewed/were accepted later in the season I think I'll post the calendars and whatnot to the 2015 facebook group, so that people in your position won't have this problem.

Possible that they haven't activated it for everyone yet-especially if you interviewed/were accepted later in the season I think I'll post the calendars and whatnot to the 2015 facebook group, so that people in your position won't have this problem.

i was accepted at the end of november. oh man, I hope that's not a bad sign that i dont have a medicine tab. i payed the deposits and sent everything in. guess ill call tomorrow to make sure

i was accepted at the end of november. oh man, I hope that's not a bad sign that i dont have a medicine tab. i payed the deposits and sent everything in. guess ill call tomorrow to make sure

Haha, chill out. If they took your money you're in. Check your webstar to be sure, it should say Accept-Full

grats' on getting in :thumbup:

hey!! congrats to everyone... a few questions..

1. are people living on or off campus? ive heard mixed things... the dorms are super nice and the pool is gorgeous, but its a little expensive. i thought it might be nice to be living with a bunch of other M1s so I was leaning toward living on campus, but I wasnt sure.. what is everyone else going to do?

2. fafsa- has everyone submitted this? i havent gotten a financial aid packet from nova (i got accepted to lecom but decided not to go and they sent me one!) the finaid office said they do not send these out?!?!!? any help here? can i go back and change my housing option?

i am 26 (will be 27 in august) F from san francisco and i cant wait to move!!!

hey!! congrats to everyone... a few questions..

1. are people living on or off campus? ive heard mixed things... the dorms are super nice and the pool is gorgeous, but its a little expensive. i thought it might be nice to be living with a bunch of other M1s so I was leaning toward living on campus, but I wasnt sure.. what is everyone else going to do?

2. fafsa- has everyone submitted this? i havent gotten a financial aid packet from nova (i got accepted to lecom but decided not to go and they sent me one!) the finaid office said they do not send these out?!?!!? any help here? can i go back and change my housing option?

i am 26 (will be 27 in august) F from san francisco and i cant wait to move!!!

1) Off campus is far cheaper. You will see plenty of your fellow classmates on a day to day basis, and IMHO it's not really worth the expense just to socialize--it's easy enough to do that if you live within a couple miles of campus. Think of it like high school. You lived elsewhere but still saw your friends every day.

2) Yes. Priority deadline has passed, and awards will be coming out within the next month or so. File it now if you haven't already.
There is financial aid information on the NSU website, but it's far more helpful to just go to Sallie Mae (www.salliemae.com) and browse the information for graduate/professional students there.

As for the financial aid packet, it is not like there is really going to be anything interesting in it. It will all be loans :eek: