NSU-COM class of 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Crocs is good for the anatomy lab, but anywhere else on campus, I'd go with sandals! The beauty of living in South Florida is that you can wear sandals almost all year round. That means no socks, and no sweaty feet :) I loved wearing my sandals everywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

lol technically we aren't allowed to wear sandals but alot of people do. I rock the slippers

On an unrelated note to you other gentlemen, crocs are for dorks. :cool:

Ouch!!! I just didnt want to get stuff from anatomy lab on my sneakers. Its not like I would wear them around town in shorts or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol technically we aren't allowed to wear sandals but alot of people do. I rock the slippers

So this brings up another question I had. How strict are they really about the dress code?

Granted, I'm not going to be walking around in a beanie and swim trunks, but are t-shirts completely verboten? Shorts/sandals?

Thanks guys for posting links to scrubs! Haha I wasnt sure if ceil blue = hospital blue but Im glad on the confirmation. From what I understand we can just buy scrubs from anywhere. Ill probably end up buying a set online and then check out the ones at the book stores. I need pockets, lots of pockets :D

How do most students dress for their preceptorship, dress attire or scrubs?

Just read parts of the student handbook, it says that for students in good academic standing their first semester there is a scholarship for being dual enrolled in the MPH? Is the MPH completely free or is it offered at a reduced rate?

Thanks guys for posting links to scrubs! Haha I wasnt sure if ceil blue = hospital blue but Im glad on the confirmation. From what I understand we can just buy scrubs from anywhere. Ill probably end up buying a set online and then check out the ones at the book stores. I need pockets, lots of pockets :D

How do most students dress for their preceptorship, dress attire or scrubs?

Just read parts of the student handbook, it says that for students in good academic standing their first semester there is a scholarship for being dual enrolled in the MPH? Is the MPH completely free or is it offered at a reduced rate?

Im pretty sure its free for DO students. At least thats what I remember from the interview day.
One more question.. I ordered my white coat already. Should I pick it up in May at the bookstore when I will be in Miami or are we suppose to wait till orientation week for them to give us the jackets at the ceremony.

Im pretty sure its free for DO students. At least thats what I remember from the interview day.
One more question.. I ordered my white coat already. Should I pick it up in May at the bookstore when I will be in Miami or are we suppose to wait till orientation week for them to give us the jackets at the ceremony.

it sounds like something that would be given to us!

One thing I'm dreading is.... finding a roommate.

Anyway don't forget to jump in on our facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=152697268100861

Last edited:
preceptorship/igc is usually dress atire. some docs may allow scrubs. Dress code/attendance is supposed to be enforced, but you can get away with a bunch of stuff, like medical tshirts and sandals, but if they see everyone breaking it they will enforce it. Make sure you are in dress code for exams bc they will throw you out. Wear white coats when you see the dean or go to the offices of the professors. Get your white coats as soon as possible bc everyone ordered them last second last year, overwhelmed the people and didnt have a personal monogrammed version until after the whitecoat ceremony.

Locking down a place to live in Mid-May, driving out to FL in late July/early august.

hi everyone! i live in NJ and i am planning to go down to Florida in the middle of May to check out apartments. does anyone think that mid May is too late to find an apartment?

preceptorship/igc is usually dress atire. some docs may allow scrubs. Dress code/attendance is supposed to be enforced, but you can get away with a bunch of stuff, like medical tshirts and sandals, but if they see everyone breaking it they will enforce it. Make sure you are in dress code for exams bc they will throw you out. Wear white coats when you see the dean or go to the offices of the professors. Get your white coats as soon as possible bc everyone ordered them last second last year, overwhelmed the people and didnt have a personal monogrammed version until after the whitecoat ceremony.

Are we suppose to pick them up ourselves at the bookstore or are we suppose to wait until the white coat cereminy when they will be given to us. Not sure how its suppose to work. When you order the coat it says it will be delivered to the bookstore.

you pick them up at the bookstore.. then you carry it on your arm. The ceremony they will officially put it on you then pin you with your academic society.

Members don't see this ad :)
you pick them up at the bookstore.. then you carry it on your arm. The ceremony they will officially put it on you then pin you with your academic society.

so we won't know what academic society we will be in till the white coat ceremony? do you by any chance know how they divide us into those societies? randomness? alphabetical? height? eye-colors? :smuggrin: jk

you should get put into your societies soon. it'll show on webct. Societies are not entirely random, people with like characteristics i think are grouped together. That was my perception, i have no idea.

Can't login to SharkLink yet. Did they post a list of the books/supplies we need?

Or maybe one of the current students can give us a ballpark figure of how much we'll be spending on books and medical supplies? Trying to work out how much I'll need to save over the next couple of months...

Can't login to SharkLink yet. Did they post a list of the books/supplies we need?

Or maybe one of the current students can give us a ballpark figure of how much we'll be spending on books and medical supplies? Trying to work out how much I'll need to save over the next couple of months...

Nothing yet... Ellen said may-june is when we can expect more info.

Financial aid was posted on my account today for my stafford loans. Nothing on the Grad plus loan yet though (I sent in the information for that a few weeks ago).

Financial aid was posted on my account today for my stafford loans. Nothing on the Grad plus loan yet though (I sent in the information for that a few weeks ago).

What exactly did you submit???
All I did was submit my Fafsa, my income verification form, my NSU authorization form, and a signed federal income return that they asked for. It says I have fulfilled all my requirements but is there something else I am suppose to submit or apply? I didn't contact any loan companies or anything like that or apply for any loans. Do we have to go to Studentloans.gov and actually apply for the graduate plus loan?? I am a little unclear as to how this loan process works.

Last edited:
What exactly did you submit???
All I did was submit my Fafsa, my income verification form, my NSU authorization form, and a signed federal income return that they asked for. It says I have fulfilled all my requirements but is there something else I am suppose to submit or apply? I didn't contact any loan companies or anything like that or apply for any loans. Do we have to go to Studentloans.gov and actually apply for the graduate plus loan?? I am a little unclear as to how this loan process works.
I applied for the gradplus loans on studentloans.gov but when I called to get some other paperwork from them to show proof of income ect for securing a townhouse they told me that I should not have filled it out yet. But all that has shown up is my unsub/sub loans which everyone always gets. I also submitted the same documents as you.

Also I have kind of been pestering them to get my financial aid posted so that I would be able to show landlords and HOA's that I will be able to pay for my home. I am moving down in a month (earlier than most) so it was kind of important for me to get it done sooner. Not really sure if that played a roll or not. I would suspect everyones will be coming out soon!

By the looks of it, for out of state students, the COA is $85,917 vs $82,248 last year. They haven't updated me to in state yet so I am not sure what it is for instate.

I just got my financial aid award from Nova. It is 63K for an estimated cost of attendance of 79K. I am out of state. I wonder what the difference is?

Last edited:
I just got my financial aid award from Nova. It is 63K for an estimated cost of attendance of 79K. I am out of state. I wonder what the difference is?
Mine is for out of state living off campus. $58k in loans so far (no grad plus yet) for COA of $85k.

hey everyone... just set up my NOVA email account on my iphone and i thought i would share some info in case you guys want to do the same

all you have to do is set it up with these incoming/outgoing server names, make sure you have your username and password, and VOILA!

incoming pop.nova.edu,
outgoing smtp.nova.edu

at my interview, they told us that overall if you get a DO/MPH dual degree it only costs 5k extra TOTAL. usually its at least 20k (usually more) but I think I remember the dean saying something about its subsidized by the state of florida or by the school.

So I called financial aid and they said that as long as you submit all the requirements they will apply for the stafford loan for you. But you need to apply on your own for a gradplus loan which you can do now.

Is the 63K your stafford and grad plus loan??

Also do most people apply for the maximum on the grad plus loan? And if you dont use it all can you return it? I dont know if I should select I want to borrow the max for the grad plus or enter a specific amount on the grad plus application. Any help???

Last edited:
Is the 63K your stafford and grad plus loan??

Also do most people apply for the maximum on the grad plus loan? And if you dont use it all can you return it? I dont know if I should select I want to borrow the max for the grad plus or enter a specific amount on the grad plus application. Any help???

I think most people apply for the max, at least do it for the first year to see how much you really use. You can always 'return' money to banks, they are happy to take all the money you wish you give them. You will already have earned some interest on the loan at that point.

I think most people apply for the max, at least do it for the first year to see how much you really use. You can always 'return' money to banks, they are happy to take all the money you wish you give them. You will already have earned some interest on the loan at that point.

I understand wanting to take out the max PLUS loan to see how much you use, but setting a budget for yourself beforehand would probably save you a lot of money for the following reasons:

1. Having all this monopoly money will probably convince you on multiple occasions that treating yourself to PF Chang's is affordable (it's not. you're paying interest on those crab wontons)...
2. You pay a 4% loan disbursement fee on the amount you take out... take out a bigger amount, pay a bigger fee.
3. You're charged interest for this while you're in school, and if you're not paying on that, they add it to the principal and charge you interest on the greater principal.

Just my 2 cents.

I understand wanting to take out the max PLUS loan to see how much you use, but setting a budget for yourself beforehand would probably save you a lot of money for the following reasons:

1. Having all this monopoly money will probably convince you on multiple occasions that treating yourself to PF Chang's is affordable (it's not. you're paying interest on those crab wontons)...
2. You pay a 4% loan disbursement fee on the amount you take out... take out a bigger amount, pay a bigger fee.
3. You're charged interest for this while you're in school, and if you're not paying on that, they add it to the principal and charge you interest on the greater principal.

Just my 2 cents.

This.

BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET.

It's not free money. Every cent you take out is one you'll pay interest on later. If you forgo making payments while in school, the accumulated interest capitalizes and is added to your loan balance...and then starts accruing interest again.

Take out what you need, and no more. You'll thank yourself later.

This.

BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET.

Honestly their COA estimates seem WAY over the top. Their "Room and board" for the year adds up to over $22k. But if you're living with a roommate and paying $600/month that puts you at only $7200. Throw in an extra $1000 for the year's utilities and a couple hundred for a deposit that will most likely be split between a couple people... and you're not even at HALF their estimate.
The "and board" part might include food, and this is really variable, but I don't think I know anyone spending $1000/ month on food.

They're similarly overestimating travel and books/supplies costs. So just be careful with how much you take out...

Thanks for the advice guys! I tried to figure out a realistic budget and only requested what I thought I needed. Also everyone gets the 40,500 from Stafford right? I only requested from Grad Plus what I thought I would need after receiving the 40,500 from stafford. For instance I requested 30,000 from Grad Plus assuming I would get 40,500 from Stafford and thus receive a total of 70,500. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Is there anything that I should buy before coming in addition to the lab coat and scrubs? Lab supplies, stethescope? Thanks.

Is there anything that I should buy before coming in addition to the lab coat and scrubs? Lab supplies, stethescope? Thanks.

You will need an ophthalmoscope/otoscope for your clinical practicum class, and a stethoscope for the rest of your career.

I would recommend that you either get some cheapo ophtalmoscope/otoscope from amazon, or get a used one, or even better, just BORROW a set when you're going to your clinical practicum lab, since the entire class won't be there at the same time, and people are broken down into groups that go to labs on different days. Otherwise, you will have to pay like 500 bucks for something that you will likely never use after your first year of medical school.

As for your stethoscope, the school cuts a deal with one of the companies (either littman, or welch allyn), for a stethoscope. So watch out for that before you buy one, this way you can comparison shoop. This is actually something I would consider putting good money down for. You need a good stethoscope.

Thanks for the advice guys! I tried to figure out a realistic budget and only requested what I thought I needed. Also everyone gets the 40,500 from Stafford right? I only requested from Grad Plus what I thought I would need after receiving the 40,500 from stafford. For instance I requested 30,000 from Grad Plus assuming I would get 40,500 from Stafford and thus receive a total of 70,500. Is this correct?

This does not sound correct, but depends on the individual. Everyone does not get 40,500 from Stafford, I got 57k, as I know some others did (57k stafford + 6k "work study" that I won't accept = 63k) This number being greater than 40,500 because of the 3 semester deal I think.

This does not sound correct, but depends on the individual. Everyone does not get 40,500 from Stafford, I got 57k, as I know some others did (57k stafford + 6k "work study" that I won't accept = 63k) This number being greater than 40,500 because of the 3 semester deal I think.

ohh Good to know. I guess I will reduce the amount I requested before disbursement. I got the 40.5K from NSU's website.
http://www.nova.edu/financialaid/grantsloans/graduate/unsubsidized_stafford.html

I dont know why this has to be so confusing or is it just me?

ohh Good to know. I guess I will reduce the amount I requested before disbursement. I got the 40.5K from NSU's website.
http://www.nova.edu/financialaid/grantsloans/graduate/unsubsidized_stafford.html

I dont know why this has to be so confusing or is it just me?

It is confusing that they list the amount $40,500 on that page but then give us more, but I can only assume that is because of the three semester thing.

If you go onto Sharklink, there is a STUDENT tab where you will find MY FINANCIAL AID (in the middle of the page). Your award should be viewable at this time, with a complete list of the loan amounts for each of the 3 semesters. You can also see what you still need to do (entrance interview if you've never gotten a Stafford loan, etc).

There probably could be more communication from the school, though, you're right.

It is confusing that they list the amount $40,500 on that page but then give us more, but I can only assume that is because of the three semester thing.

If you go onto Sharklink, there is a STUDENT tab where you will find MY FINANCIAL AID (in the middle of the page). Your award should be viewable at this time, with a complete list of the loan amounts for each of the 3 semesters. You can also see what you still need to do (entrance interview if you've never gotten a Stafford loan, etc).

There probably could be more communication from the school, though, you're right.

Thanks for all the help Artman!! Nothing is listed for me in the financial award section even though I called them and they said I had completed all the requirements. I guess they just haven't posted everyone's award yet.

Honestly their COA estimates seem WAY over the top. Their "Room and board" for the year adds up to over $22k. But if you're living with a roommate and paying $600/month that puts you at only $7200. Throw in an extra $1000 for the year's utilities and a couple hundred for a deposit that will most likely be split between a couple people... and you're not even at HALF their estimate.
The "and board" part might include food, and this is really variable, but I don't think I know anyone spending $1000/ month on food.

They're similarly overestimating travel and books/supplies costs. So just be careful with how much you take out...

They are, but I understand why they did it. By submitting those figures to the feds they made sure that their students would be eligible for the max amount of federal loans.

You don't have to take all those loans either, you can specify whatever amount you want up to what they offered.

The main figure to pay attention to is the tuition. You can figure out your living costs on your own and adjust the amount you accept accordingly.

Yes if you are a traditional student without a family to support you can live with other people and save money on room and board. But ~15% of people in med school have families to support. Find me a decent 3/2 in Davie that is less than $1500/month for rent alone. Let alone the $500 per month it takes for water electric tv ect

You will need an ophthalmoscope/otoscope for your clinical practicum class, and a stethoscope for the rest of your career.

I would recommend that you either get some cheapo ophtalmoscope/otoscope from amazon, or get a used one, or even better, just BORROW a set when you're going to your clinical practicum lab, since the entire class won't be there at the same time, and people are broken down into groups that go to labs on different days. Otherwise, you will have to pay like 500 bucks for something that you will likely never use after your first year of medical school.

As for your stethoscope, the school cuts a deal with one of the companies (either littman, or welch allyn), for a stethoscope. So watch out for that before you buy one, this way you can comparison shoop. This is actually something I would consider putting good money down for. You need a good stethoscope.

Thanks for the advice. I found a deal on Amazon for $120 for both and jumped on it.

Last edited:
can anyone comment on nova's anatomy program? i was there in october and i cannot remember anything about the anatomy lab, how big the groups are, is the lab portion traditional dissection or prosected only?? also, does any one know if lecture notes are available online or do they give out packets at the beginning of each class? are there powerpoints available? are exams taken on the computer or on paper? regarding standardized patients and early clinical exposure... is this started in the first year? i think it is but i'm wondering how many standardized patients we get in the first year and when we're expected to start taking h&p on patients in a real setting? does anyone know, regarding the 3 months of rural rotations, i know we can do one in clinics in another country, but the other 2, can those be done in a field of our choice in a rural area? for instance, could we pick to follow a neurologist in a rural area? or is it all rural family medicine? not that i want to do one over the other i'm just wondering if we have any say in the matter. i know i asked all of these questions like 7 to 8 months ago lol but i just cant remember the answers!

can anyone comment on nova's anatomy program? i was there in october and i cannot remember anything about the anatomy lab, how big the groups are, is the lab portion traditional dissection or prosected only?? also, does any one know if lecture notes are available online or do they give out packets at the beginning of each class? are there powerpoints available? are exams taken on the computer or on paper? regarding standardized patients and early clinical exposure... is this started in the first year? i think it is but i'm wondering how many standardized patients we get in the first year and when we're expected to start taking h&p on patients in a real setting? does anyone know, regarding the 3 months of rural rotations, i know we can do one in clinics in another country, but the other 2, can those be done in a field of our choice in a rural area? for instance, could we pick to follow a neurologist in a rural area? or is it all rural family medicine? not that i want to do one over the other i'm just wondering if we have any say in the matter. i know i asked all of these questions like 7 to 8 months ago lol but i just cant remember the answers!

This is what I remember from the interview. I was told that class will be divided into groups of 6-7 students. There are two lab sessions, so people will either go to anatomy lab on tuesday or thursday, not both. Each cadaver will be shared by two groups. It is going to be traditional dissection. I think they tried prosection a few years back but they switched back to dissecting, again someone has told me that.

This is what I remember from the interview. I was told that class will be divided into groups of 6-7 students. There are two lab sessions, so people will either go to anatomy lab on tuesday or thursday, not both. Each cadaver will be shared by two groups. It is going to be traditional dissection. I think they tried prosection a few years back but they switched back to dissecting, again someone has told me that.

Thank god. Not a deal-breaker for the school if they use prosection, but I'd prefer dissection-based labs. Can't learn if you can't get your hands dirty.

Here are some pretty blunt answers to your questions so I hope this helps:

The entire class gets broken up into Group A and Group B. Using this year as an example, this is how the schedule was. Group A would go to OPP lab on Thursday from 1-3pm while Group B was in Anatomy lab from 1-3pm. Then, from 3-5pm they would switch and Group A would go to anatomy lab and Group B would go to OPP lab.

There is a prosection lab and a dissecting lab. You will be in a group of 4-6 people for each cadaver. You dissect, go to the prosected lab to check out the week's prosections on whatever you are learning, as well as view the XRays, CTs and MRIs pertaining to the subject material.

You will receive a packet of notes for each exam. The lectures were not recorded for us, and powerpoints were not made available. The notes will be sufficient to get an A in the class and using a book such as Netter's or Grants will help supplement.

Exams are taken on paper (usually 50 questions with 2 hours to complete it).
Lab Practicals are taken on paper (and multiple choice) with 50 questions (usually 1 question per station, with 1 minute to answer).

You start learning how to take an H&P the first two weeks of class and will have your first standardized patient exam within the first 8 weeks of classes. You will have a total of about 5 or 6 standardized patient exams the first year and you will learn how to do most (if not all?) exams....HEENT, neuro, abdominal, cardiac, pulmonary, musculoskeletal, derm, etc.

You will also be rotating every other week through an assigned doctor's office where most doctors expect the students to take histories and perform most physicals on patients. It is not pressured so do not get worried or intimidated. They ease you into the patient encounters to get you comfortable talking/touching patients.

As far as rotations and what not, I do not know. I am just wrapping up the first year.

Here are some pretty blunt answers to your questions so I hope this helps:

The entire class gets broken up into Group A and Group B. Using this year as an example, this is how the schedule was. Group A would go to OPP lab on Thursday from 1-3pm while Group B was in Anatomy lab from 1-3pm. Then, from 3-5pm they would switch and Group A would go to anatomy lab and Group B would go to OPP lab.

There is a prosection lab and a dissecting lab. You will be in a group of 4-6 people for each cadaver. You dissect, go to the prosected lab to check out the week's prosections on whatever you are learning, as well as view the XRays, CTs and MRIs pertaining to the subject material.

You will receive a packet of notes for each exam. The lectures were not recorded for us, and powerpoints were not made available. The notes will be sufficient to get an A in the class and using a book such as Netter's or Grants will help supplement.

Exams are taken on paper (usually 50 questions with 2 hours to complete it).
Lab Practicals are taken on paper (and multiple choice) with 50 questions (usually 1 question per station, with 1 minute to answer).

You start learning how to take an H&P the first two weeks of class and will have your first standardized patient exam within the first 8 weeks of classes. You will have a total of about 5 or 6 standardized patient exams the first year and you will learn how to do most (if not all?) exams....HEENT, neuro, abdominal, cardiac, pulmonary, musculoskeletal, derm, etc.

You will also be rotating every other week through an assigned doctor's office where most doctors expect the students to take histories and perform most physicals on patients. It is not pressured so do not get worried or intimidated. They ease you into the patient encounters to get you comfortable talking/touching patients.

As far as rotations and what not, I do not know. I am just wrapping up the first year.

Thank you so much for clarify things out, Booster. It's been a while ago so I got some of my info. mixed up.

Btw, Booster, can you elaborate a little more on the academic society? What is the purpose of that? Do we name our own society? Do you get along well with people who in the same society with you?

Last edited:
Sure. The class is broken up into 10 societies (which are already named after physicians who are/were part of our school or osteopathic medicine, so you do not get to pick a name). You will be assigned to a society before the first day of class. So in each society, there are approximately 25 students. This makes organizing the class much easier as 5 societies will be grouped together as "group A" and the other 5 societies as "group B" (as pertaining to my previous post on how they break up students into lab groups). You will do some activities as a society, such as being broken up into your societies to discuss a topic in class and then the society will present their thoughts on the topic to the rest of the class. As a society, you will also meet with 2nd year students who are part of your society to discuss things going on and seek advice/help/guidance if you need it. You won't do things with your society every week but you will multiple times throughout a semester. I personally get along with everyone in my society but even if you did not, you don't have to be around them much.

Overall, the society is supposed to help bring people together and give each other support and work as a group.