NSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi everyone!

i've been accepted and absolutely loved nova, and i was hoping to get some feedback from current students in regards to research opportunities at nova....it was stressed at my interview that nova is not research heavy, and i was wondering if any students know of people that do research in any form....i am not trying to go crazy/get tons of publications, but i was hoping to do some research (whether benchwork or public health studies, etc.)....i know that there are "research" electives, does anyone know how that works?

thanks in advance, and congrats to all of you fellow class of 2014'ers

-x

In the NSU Osteopathic Medicine 2010 Handbook on page 8 they have research under elective courses for every semester first and second year so there must be something. I really want to get into some research as well!

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone!

i've been accepted and absolutely loved nova, and i was hoping to get some feedback from current students in regards to research opportunities at nova....it was stressed at my interview that nova is not research heavy, and i was wondering if any students know of people that do research in any form....i am not trying to go crazy/get tons of publications, but i was hoping to do some research (whether benchwork or public health studies, etc.)....i know that there are "research" electives, does anyone know how that works?

thanks in advance, and congrats to all of you fellow class of 2014'ers

-x

Nova may not be "research heavy," but there are research fellowships available (so there is some interest there). My understanding is that in between your 2nd and 3rd years, you do a one year research fellowship. That year, and years 3 and 4, will then be paid for by the university. As for what exactly the research entails, I can't tell you.

Nova may not be "research heavy," but there are research fellowships available (so there is some interest there). My understanding is that in between your 2nd and 3rd years, you do a one year research fellowship. That year, and years 3 and 4, will then be paid for by the university. As for what exactly the research entails, I can't tell you.

Do you have any idea how many research fellowships they offer? I know for the OMM fellowship there a 6 spots and 20-25 applicants on average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any idea how many research fellowships they offer? I know for the OMM fellowship there a 6 spots and 20-25 applicants on average.

....from what i remember there are only 2 research fellowships...not sure how many applicants

.....i noticed it is always listed as an elective as well....i'm not sure if i would apply for the fellowship and was wondering about this "elective" research business hah....hopefully some current students take a peek in the thread soon

Does anyone know if you have to rotate through a specialty before you actually apply to match for it? Don't programs want to see how you did or do they base it totally off of board scores? I'm so confused cause NSU offers no opportunities during 3rd year :(

Hey there,

NSUCOM does offer some fellowships - the OMM one that was mentioned (aka. OPP). That's for a year between years 2 and 3 and the fellows get to work in the clinic and help teach M1 and M2 students...There are 6 of them I believe, but I'm not sure about them getting school paid for...I know they do have tuition covered for the year they are a fellow...

As for actual "research" NSUCOM isn't very heavy in it. We do have a Research Club but mostly it's individualized so you have to either find a project and get the prof to let you work on it or you can make your own. There is an award of like $1000 or something for research at the end of the year, but it only goes to one student. I don't know many people involved in research here (I'm an M1)...I can literally think of 2.

As for rotating through a specialty before matching -- NSUCOM has a lot of opportunities! Beginning in the first year you get hands on with a doctor every semester (you get out of it what you put in it) and the same goes for 2nd year. 3rd year you have standard rotations that every hospital has but then 4th year you have electives of your choice (as far as they have told us).

The majority of residency is BOARD SCORES they tell us. They give us Kaplan prep books during first semester that come in real handy.

Feel free to pm me with any questions! Good Luck on interviewing/decision making! NSU COM is a great place to be!

Does anyone know if you have to rotate through a specialty before you actually apply to match for it? Don't programs want to see how you did or do they base it totally off of board scores? I'm so confused cause NSU offers no opportunities during 3rd year :(

from what I have read on this forum, it doesn't seem like you have to worry about rotating through in order to match there. If you go here, there are some responses regarding the question you have: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104&page=15

from what I have read on this forum, it doesn't seem like you have to worry about rotating through in order to match there. If you go here, there are some responses regarding the question you have: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104&page=15

Yea I don't mean the specific program but the specialty in general. example: Say you want to do anesthesia. You apply and rank your programs with ERAS and the programs see you have your certain board score and how you have "honored" all of your 3rd year rotations but there is no anesthesia rotation because you won't be able to do it until late 4th year. What do the PD's say?

You know what this class needs? A facebook page. Aw chyeah. NSU COM Class 2014!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

For those currently at NOVA... I remember reading on last year's thread about places where students live. For the life of my I can't find it now. The search feature is just not working for me.

I think there was something mentioned about a place across the street/really close to the school called Sunrise (?) as well as another complex in Plantation? Am I remembering correctly?

I am trying to get an idea of places to look so I can figure out how much rent and utilities will cost. I want to make sure to have enough cash flow to cover me until loan money comes in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

The place across from school is called Sun Forest. I think people are happy with it. Here is a website for the company that owns them: www.equityapartments.com

I live in Plantation at Lakepointe at Jacaranda and I really like it. Its not too far from campus...about 10 min drive down university with good traffic and more with high traffic. Its a good price and very quiet. They have studios all the way up to 3 bedrooms here. If you would like more info, pictures, etc.....email me at [email protected]. I live here with my husband and we have a 2 bedroom and it works great for us. He commutes downtown and its not a bad commute for him.

Here is the link to the pretty comprehensive list I made and shared last year:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8027873&postcount=306

Last edited:
Thank you very much. That is the exact post I was trying to find!

checkout "gatehouse on the green", "los prados" and "the waves" in plantation as well. I don't remember if they were part of that list.

They weren't but Los Prados and the Waves are right around the corner from me so the area is pretty nice :)

Way more fun to think about apartments than Physio...

My wife and I are wanting to rent a house for around $1500/month. Are there any good neighborhoods for that price within 10 minutes of school?

Does anyone know when classes start next year?

Does NSU give out scholarships based on MCAT and GPA?

I really don't think so because I am pretty sure they would say that on the acceptance letter since they had time to write a list of things they need before full acceptance.

Does anyone know when classes start next year?

I am pretty sure its the first week of august, it seemed like thats when they started last year.

Ok thanks, I couldn't find a calendar for next year anywhere on the nova site.

I really don't think so because I am pretty sure they would say that on the acceptance letter since they had time to write a list of things they need before full acceptance.

Darn that's disappointing.. Supposedly DMU hands out some pretty generous ones.

Darn that's disappointing.. Supposedly DMU hands out some pretty generous ones.

that would be really nice if NSU did that. I am definitely trying to get in state tuition since I am in florida right now but I have maryland residency. Hopefully, it won't be too difficult.

Hello all!

Hope this letter finds you well!

My name is Jackie and I am a graduate of the 2007 class..

I am writing to let you know that my house in Hollywood FL, less than
a mile from the beach! Is available for rent...
It's great for roommates as each bedroom has it's own bathroom
attached... Great space.. Travel is in the opposite direction back to
NSU re: traffic. Near downtown Hollywood nightlife...

Easy access to major highways and hospitals... ie: Memorial Regional,
Broward General and Aventura...
I am currently in NYC doing my residency.. but if you are interested,
please email me and I'll be glad to negotiate the price!

Also, if you are alone... there is a cottage in the back of the house
that is a separate 1/1 that is also available!

All prices are negotiable!

Thanks for looking!
The pics don't do it justice!

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/apa/1519730996.html

--
Jackie

Last edited:
Hey!

Can any of the current students give us a rough estimate of the academic calendar? I know the start dates can vary but any information about the length of breaks, etc. would be much appreciated. My family started in on me this week about when I would be back for Christmas and for how long. I'm not even thinking that far ahead but at least if I give them something they will get off my back :p

Thanks!

Hey!

Can any of the current students give us a rough estimate of the academic calendar? I know the start dates can vary but any information about the length of breaks, etc. would be much appreciated. My family started in on me this week about when I would be back for Christmas and for how long. I'm not even thinking that far ahead but at least if I give them something they will get off my back :p

Thanks!

I too am interested in this :thumbup:

Yea I don't mean the specific program but the specialty in general. example: Say you want to do anesthesia. You apply and rank your programs with ERAS and the programs see you have your certain board score and how you have "honored" all of your 3rd year rotations but there is no anesthesia rotation because you won't be able to do it until late 4th year. What do the PD's say?

Well, early on in 4th year you should get some elective time, and those scores plus letters of recommendation will be early enough that PDs will see them. ERAS shows everything you do up through October or so of your 4th year (I say "or so" because it depends on when the MSPE is generated). So you will have time to do anesthesia rotations and have them show up in ERAS.

Plus, during your third year you'll have time to follow around some anesthesiologists and get a nice letter of recommendation that says something to the effect of "this guy/girl came in on his/her free time throughout third year and was really enthusiastic about things, did a lot of extra reading, and knew his/her stuff."

Doctor Bob
NSUCOM Class of 2008

Well, early on in 4th year you should get some elective time, and those scores plus letters of recommendation will be early enough that PDs will see them. ERAS shows everything you do up through October or so of your 4th year (I say "or so" because it depends on when the MSPE is generated). So you will have time to do anesthesia rotations and have them show up in ERAS.

Plus, during your third year you'll have time to follow around some anesthesiologists and get a nice letter of recommendation that says something to the effect of "this guy/girl came in on his/her free time throughout third year and was really enthusiastic about things, did a lot of extra reading, and knew his/her stuff."

Doctor Bob
NSUCOM Class of 2008

Thats good to know thanks! I wasn't sure if the required rural electives were going to get in the way for that.

On the curriculum page of the NSUCOM hand book it lists pre-clinical preceptorships as electives. Can someone explain those to me please?

On the curriculum page of the NSUCOM hand book it lists pre-clinical preceptorships as electives. Can someone explain those to me please?

From the COM catalog....

"COM 9400—Preclinical Preceptorship: This course provides the opportunity for the student to participate in a self-guided experience in health-related fields. The student will be under the supervision of a College of Osteopathic Medicine faculty member. Publications and presentations may be generated from this experience"

I still don't get it..

From the COM catalog....

"COM 9400—Preclinical Preceptorship: This course provides the opportunity for the student to participate in a self-guided experience in health-related fields. The student will be under the supervision of a College of Osteopathic Medicine faculty member. Publications and presentations may be generated from this experience"

I still don't get it..

This class is one which occurs in our M1 and M2 year. The preceptorship has 2 different tracks for students:

1. You are assigned a physician in either Internal medicine, family practice, or pediatrics that you essentially shadow throughout the semester. I believe you have 6 sessions with the doctor throughout the semester. In this track, you get to know a physician and the type of patients he/she sees. You also learn a lot about the business aspect of running a clinic, insurance issues, etc. At the end of the semester, you actually have an assignment that involves some type of write up regarding an interesting case you saw throughout the semester with your physician. I don't quite know all the details about the assignment because I am currently doing the second type of preceptorship (explained below) and our assignments are a little different.

2. COM-2-SERVE track. This track is a little different than the one explained above in that throughout the semester we visit various physicians in various settings. For example, I have gone to a clinic for underserved latino population in south florida, a TB clinic in west palm, a community health clinic, and an STD clinic in davie. Each time we go, we are with a physician for that one day. We have write-ups after each session. Unfortunately, you don't get to see the same physician as in the other track but you do get to see a variety of aspects of medicine in different settings. The other benefit of this track is that you can participate in a mission trip that counts as credits for this class. So, instead of having to do 6 "shadowings" a semester, you only do 3 (or 4) if you do a mission trip. This track is definitly geared towards those interested in rural medicine and working with underserved populations. There are weekend camps that you can participate in as well as part of this track.

Hope this helps clarify a little information for you! If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

This class is one which occurs in our M1 and M2 year. The preceptorship has 2 different tracks for students:

1. You are assigned a physician in either Internal medicine, family practice, or pediatrics that you essentially shadow throughout the semester. I believe you have 6 sessions with the doctor throughout the semester. In this track, you get to know a physician and the type of patients he/she sees. You also learn a lot about the business aspect of running a clinic, insurance issues, etc. At the end of the semester, you actually have an assignment that involves some type of write up regarding an interesting case you saw throughout the semester with your physician. I don't quite know all the details about the assignment because I am currently doing the second type of preceptorship (explained below) and our assignments are a little different.

2. COM-2-SERVE track. This track is a little different than the one explained above in that throughout the semester we visit various physicians in various settings. For example, I have gone to a clinic for underserved latino population in south florida, a TB clinic in west palm, a community health clinic, and an STD clinic in davie. Each time we go, we are with a physician for that one day. We have write-ups after each session. Unfortunately, you don't get to see the same physician as in the other track but you do get to see a variety of aspects of medicine in different settings. The other benefit of this track is that you can participate in a mission trip that counts as credits for this class. So, instead of having to do 6 "shadowings" a semester, you only do 3 (or 4) if you do a mission trip. This track is definitly geared towards those interested in rural medicine and working with underserved populations. There are weekend camps that you can participate in as well as part of this track.

Hope this helps clarify a little information for you! If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

You sure you arent getting this confused with the IGC Preceptorship?

The Catalog lists the Preclinical Preceptorship to take place during the summer.

You sure you arent getting this confused with the IGC Preceptorship?

The Catalog lists the Preclinical Preceptorship to take place during the summer.

Oops guess I misread it! I apologize. I have no idea about the preclinical preceptorship. :laugh:

Oops guess I misread it! I apologize. I have no idea about the preclinical preceptorship. :laugh:

Oh thats ok!;) I didnt know they had two different tracks! Are there only a certain number of slots for each, IM, Peds, and FP? or does everyone pretty much get what they want?

I believe you get to rank your preference of IM, peds, and FP. Most of the people I talked to got the area they hoped for, but I'm sure there are a handful who don't because..well...in a class of almost 240 not everyone will get their perfect match. As for the COM 2 SERVE track..they take about 30 students per year in this track. The remainder of the class participates in the other track. During your second year, you can opt to change your track as well..so if you had COM 2 SERVE in your M1 year, you can do the other track your second year and vice versa.

Hey!

Thanks!

Well we started our orientation the first week of August. Our last final in December was on the 18th and we were back for 2nd semester on Jan 4th. We have a week off for Spring Break (it is the last few days of march into april right before easter). Since the university spring semester ends in april, they have to split our 2nd semester into a "winter" and "summer" semester. basically we end a few classes in the end of april and start a few more and continue some that we started in january. We haven't gotten our schedule yet for the summer semester. They told us we would be done by the end of may or so. we start again in july :) so roughly 5-6 weeks off for the summer. hope that helps!

Hey Yall - Just thought I would join the party. I just got accepted and I plan on sending in my deposit next week. Can't wait to meet everybody!
I have to move my wife and two kids to Ft. Lauderdale from San Diego - this is gonna be a very crazy adventure. My wife needs to find a job in the casino industry and I need to find good schools for my kids (they are 8 and 9) Where would you move if you were me?

I am so stoked after getting accepted at NSU - yeah!!!!

Welcome to Nova! I am an M1 there now. Let me know if you have any questions.

I recently read on the forums that NSU didn't allow students to dissect the cadavers, but that lab was spent viewing already dissected specimens. Is this true? I would be a shame to miss out on dissecting. Thanks.

I recently read on the forums that NSU didn't allow students to dissect the cadavers, but that lab was spent viewing already dissected specimens. Is this true? I would be a shame to miss out on dissecting. Thanks.
During my interview at NSU, they said that they went back to dissection after having prosected anatomy lab the previous year.

During my interview at NSU, they said that they went back to dissection after having prosected anatomy lab the previous year.

During the classroom tour this question came up too, and yeah, the MSII said that they were most likely going back to full dissection instead of prosection.

HI to everyone! This was my first choice too so i'm pretty excited for august! By the way, has anyone heard anything about financial aid? After I sent in the 950 deposit, I got a letter but it's been pretty quiet since then. And I know we're supposed to fill out a FAFSA but what else should we be doing?

We did full on glorious dissection in gross, and you guys will too. The current M2's and a couple prior years had prosection, but it has been changed back to dissection.

Hey Yall - Just thought I would join the party. I just got accepted and I plan on sending in my deposit next week. Can't wait to meet everybody!
I have to move my wife and two kids to Ft. Lauderdale from San Diego - this is gonna be a very crazy adventure. My wife needs to find a job in the casino industry and I need to find good schools for my kids (they are 8 and 9) Where would you move if you were me?

Wow you picked the right place! haha. The Hardrock Casino is not too far a drive from the NSU area, and there are TONS of schools. Were you looking at Private or Public? There is a Private PK3-8th grade Catholic school literally just a few roads down from NSU. That's where I went. =)

I'm from Davie, so if you need any advice on locations of things feel free to PM me!

Hi, I see you're from Cali too :D Major move for us, yes?

It will be a big move for us on the west coast but well worth it. I am looking forward to the adventure. I feel very lucky to get accepted at NSU - it was my favorite school out of everywhere that I interviewed.