Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received the pre-interview hold letter after my application was finally complete two weeks ago. It says that it is a positive thing, but does anyone have any experience with this? Can anything but an II or acceptance be positive this late in the process? Thanks in advance!

I've been complete for about two months with nothing but silence. I think a pre-ii hold might be actually better, at least they made some decision on your app and it's not a rejection.

Btw, was it an actual letter or an email?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been complete for about two months with nothing but silence. I think a pre-ii hold might be actually better, at least they made some decision on your app and it's not a rejection.

Btw, was it an actual letter or an email?

It was an actual letter. Thanks and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

same here. have you heard from anywhere else though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also on pre-interview hold here. Hoping to get an interview soon after they receive my fall grades. Has anyone here gotten off hold and invited for an interview?

Also on pre-interview hold here. Hoping to get an interview soon after they receive my fall grades. Has anyone here gotten off hold and invited for an interview?

did you just sent a transcript straight to them? Did you write them a letter as well?

did you just sent a transcript straight to them? Did you write them a letter as well?
I emailed them with the unofficial transcript. I'm assuming they will receive my official transcript through AACOMAS.

It can't hurt to call, either.

I'd like to let SDN know I got an II today! I was complete late October with a 3.7 UGPA, 3.89 Masters GPA with a 29Q MCAT. I updated January with 2 more letters of recommendation, an update to my AACOMAS and an updated CV. I was not pre interview waitlisted or put on hold. I hope this can give insight to those still waiting for word.

I sent an update two days ago and got an interview invite at 1 am today.. I'm not entirely sure if it's related but show them that you care and you'll get their attention... Best of luck to those who are still waiting.

I sent an update two days ago and got an interview invite at 1 am today.. I'm not entirely sure if it's related but show them that you care and you'll get their attention... Best of luck to those who are still waiting.

did you send them an update letter?

Congrats on you ii! Could you tell us your complete date and whether they responded in any way to your updates?

Anyone on here going to an interview on Friday, February 13?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on you ii! Could you tell us your complete date and whether they responded in any way to your updates?
Thank You. I was complete around 10/20 because I applied a bit later in the cycle. They sent sent me an email saying that the information was added to my file. Good Luck

Does anyone have any tips about good areas to live in Glendale? I've seen off campus studios for under $500 (mostly either near the highway east of campus or south around Northern Ave), but don't know enough about the area to know if these are places I'd feel safe. Lower income areas are fine, but I'd like to avoid gunshots and frequent police helicopters with spotlights.

hey if you post the area specifically, I can tell you whether it's decent or sketchy/questionable. Northern Ave is pretty far south and getting toward the unsafer parts of Glendale. South Glendale: (Let's say anything south of Cactus/Peoria) Lower SES, definitely a handful of gangs that run in that area. North Glendale (North of Thunderbird): Increasing SES as you move north, safer, less crime. Phoenix is funny in that there is not one super danger area, it's extremely spotty/patchy where the crime is.

Can a current student give me a timeline of matriculation? I'm actually having a hard time finding info in that regard. When should I begin filling out Financial Aid? I don't have health insurance, can I get my immunizations and all that done after my school's health insurance kicks in? When is the typical move in date for on-campus housing? Anything else I should be on the look out for? Thank you!!

Can a current student give me a timeline of matriculation? I'm actually having a hard time finding info in that regard. When should I begin filling out Financial Aid? I don't have health insurance, can I get my immunizations and all that done after my school's health insurance kicks in? When is the typical move in date for on-campus housing? Anything else I should be on the look out for? Thank you!!

You should file your taxes and FASFA ASAP. Once you put down your deposit you should have access to the school's portal system that features a financial aid section that gives you all the information/steps on how to apply for loans. You can definitely wait to get your immunizations/titers done. They don't require them submitted until 1+ month after school starts so don't stress about them. You can actually get a pretty good deal through the school if you wait.

I don't live on campus but I'm pretty certain move in day isn't until about a week or so until school starts. You should definitely apply for on campus housing ASAP though (through the online portal). I believe around June they will send out a welcome packet with course schedules, equipment list (don't bother buying anything until school starts except for maybe a laptop or iPad to take notes on), other forms to fill out, etc.

Overall just relax and enjoy your spring/summer.

You should file your taxes and FASFA ASAP. Once you put down your deposit you should have access to the school's portal system that features a financial aid section that gives you all the information/steps on how to apply for loans. You can definitely wait to get your immunizations/titers done. They don't require them submitted until 1+ month after school starts so don't stress about them. You can actually get a pretty good deal through the school if you wait.

I don't live on campus but I'm pretty certain move in day isn't until about a week or so until school starts. You should definitely apply for on campus housing ASAP though (through the online portal). I believe around June they will send out a welcome packet with course schedules, equipment list (don't bother buying anything until school starts except for maybe a laptop or iPad to take notes on), other forms to fill out, etc.

Overall just relax and enjoy your spring/summer.

Thank you very much Waggles. Can I bother you further to ask if you contacted the university's financial aid office to help you navigate the FAFSA and/or Grad PLUS systems? I've always been intimidated in that regard.

Thank you very much Waggles. Can I bother you further to ask if you contacted the university's financial aid office to help you navigate the FAFSA and/or Grad PLUS systems? I've always been intimidated in that regard.

I personally did not contact them but they are usually very friendly and helpful. The information they post on the portal is pretty detailed and I would check that out first but I'm sure they would be glad to help.

You can find a lot of valuable, school specific information here: https://www.midwestern.edu/programs...ions-applicant-and-new-student-resources.html

LMK if you have any other questions. Would be glad to help.

hey if you post the area specifically, I can tell you whether it's decent or sketchy/questionable. Northern Ave is pretty far south and getting toward the unsafer parts of Glendale. South Glendale: (Let's say anything south of Cactus/Peoria) Lower SES, definitely a handful of gangs that run in that area. North Glendale (North of Thunderbird): Increasing SES as you move north, safer, less crime. Phoenix is funny in that there is not one super danger area, it's extremely spotty/patchy where the crime is.

Thanks! There are several areas I'm looking at:
1) Bell Ave just east of 67th St
2) The area from Thunderbird to Bell east of 35th St
3) The shopping center south of Peoria by the freeway (17/207)
4) Northern Ave from 51st to Grand

I'm guessing that the first two are probably safer, based on what you said about south of Peoria, but it would be great to know for sure.

Thanks! There are several areas I'm looking at:
1) Bell Ave just east of 67th St
2) The area from Thunderbird to Bell east of 35th St
3) The shopping center south of Peoria by the freeway (17/207)
4) Northern Ave from 51st to Grand

I'm guessing that the first two are probably safer, based on what you said about south of Peoria, but it would be great to know for sure.

Yes, I would stick to the first 2. Other places that are pretty safe and decently close (other than San Prado, Sage Stone and San Lagos), the Pavilions at Arrowhead Mall is great, and there are a couple of Condos/Apartments just north of the 101 on 59th and 67th that are worth checking out.

I got Accepted student checklist after interviewing on the 13th.. I'm beyond happy and grateful!!! is there a facebook page for the 2019 class?

Check you portals. New decisions are up. I had no idea it would be this fast!

Interviewed on the 6th and got the portal around an hour ago!

Interviewed on the 11th. No change in my portal except my applicant checklist is saying I am missing a Bachelor's Degree :x No idea what is going on :/

Interviewed the 9th, accepted students checklist today! Congrats everyone! Good luck to all!!!!!

Interviewed yesterday Frb 16th. Accepted. Congrats everyone!

Interviewed on the 11th. No change in my portal except my applicant checklist is saying I am missing a Bachelor's Degree :x No idea what is going on :/
lol that means you're in, friend. Thats the accepted student checklist, not the application checklist.

Interviewed on Feb 9th. Accepted just now!!
The students here seemed a LOT happier and enthused than some of the MD schools I interviewed at. Honored to be given the opportunity to join this community!

Good luck to everyone else!

lol that means you're in, friend. Thats the accepted student checklist, not the application checklist.
I do wish friend. But tis' not true. It is the applicant checklist, the accepted checklist is not available to me :( No messages in my message center either. Is that standard? I guess I'll have to call admissions tomorrow to be sure. Congratulations to all though!

Just when you think you're reapplying, bam. You get in!
Interviewed last week which makes the turnaround quite quick.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, that means you've been placed on the waitlist. Call the admissions to confirm. I had the same status change on the portal (i.e. missing a Bachelor's degree), called the admissions, and was told I was placed on the alternate list. The admissions will start pulling people off waitlist starting the end of April or until all the interviews have been conducted.

I do wish friend. But tis' not true. It is the applicant checklist, the accepted checklist is not available to me :( No messages in my message center either. Is that standard? I guess I'll have to call admissions tomorrow to be sure. Congratulations to all though!
:/ my bad..

Interviewed feb. 11th and accepted! Trying to decide if this is the one...........

Reactions: 1 users
I had the same thing on my "accepted" checklist. It went away on its own after a week or so.

I'll be giving up my spot here in the next week. Congrats to the student that gets it!

I had the same thing on my "accepted" checklist. It went away on its own after a week or so.

I did as well, and it went away after I sent in my transcripts. It may just mean that they haven't verified your degree yet.