Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very excited to say that I received what feels like a Hail Mary II and I'm very hopeful to join the AZCOM class of 2019.

Was put on hold in December with a 27 MCAT - retook in January and got a 29, which is likely the reason why I was extended an II.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if theres a general day that acceptances go out? Interviewed on the 10th and have been nervously awaiting a decision...

And I had seen that someone posted earlier that there was a copy of an adcom evaluation form floating around somewhere. Does anyone have a link to that?

Current MS-II as well, throwaway.

I dont have an organized list, but just some thoughts I want to share with you all:

1. Compare to other DO schools, we really are pretty solid in terms of scores, facility, faculty, and most importantly - matching. We consistently have some of the most competitive matches coming out of the DO world, and that's all it counts in the end.

2. They break you down here and build you back up into a doctor, and that's what medical school should be. I met some students from newer schools and they praise how much they love their dean and the school makes them feel so welcome etc... so what? The process of making a doctor is like making a sausage, everyone likes a nice sausage but they should not look at how it's made. Students from PCOM, KCU, CCOM all come to hate school during their MS-II, AZCOM included, that's the sign of a school that really pushes their students and breaking their limits. This really pays off during rotations, when we are being compared to MD kids.

3. This year we had people who matched into MGH anesthesia, Vanderbilt anesthesia, ~30 EMs, 6+ orthos, multiple people into the UC system - and not just in primary care. My point is that when you look at a school, look at where the graduates are going, then look at your own goals, and see if they align. If you want something competitive, in a competitive location, but cannot get into an MD school, AZCOM is a pretty good bet - the only thing is that you have to work your ass off here, you will succeed if you put in the work because we do not have a culture of holding people back.

4. I want to go back to LA, so I'm in LA for rotations, I will be smack dab in the middle of the city. Even though I won't be rotating in UCLA or USC, I am close enough to those places where I can go out and make my own connections, that's something not easily done by Touro-CA or even Western students. Everyone in LA automatically get 2 electives in 3rd year, everyone else only gets 1.

5. Good mix of preceptor-based rotations and ward based rotations. Why would anyone want preceptor based rotation over ward-based? There is a reason, For example, if I want to do IM, I would want to do as many ward-based IM rotations as I can. I don't really care for OB, so I can just do a preceptor based OBGYN to get hands on experience with delivering babies and learn everyday practice of an OB, while having time to read for shelf exams. If I am on OB wards, I will be tired as hell trying to impress residents and attendings for a good eval, working my ass off and MAYBE get to do a procedure with someone, and I am still expected to read and study for shelf. Well I think my grade with a preceptor based will be better if I just have to impress 1 person, have more time to study for my test, and have less stress. Life is a game and I'm already playing on hard mode as a DO, I'm not gonna screw myself over trying to do ward-based everything.

6. I have friends at other DO schools, and I think as a whole, we're not as brain-washed as some other schools. Our students are pretty realistic about the disadvantages of DO vs. MD than other schools, which sounds pessimistic, but being a realist also means we are good at gauging our abilities and not sounding like an idiot when working with doctors in the real world.

7. Campus is nice and safe, I would've gone to Western if they didn't have bullet holes in their building....

9. Yes, some professors get vindictive, they are older and it's harder to change their point of view. I think our student council people are constantly working with them to improve that. It has gotten better already since they start to do reviews for exams now that cover just about 90% of the material on the test in 2 hours, we usually study for boards and cram of exams on the weekends at this point so that helps.

10. I hate that the school charges so freaking much for tuition, but midwestern is not alone, tuition is up everywhere in the country.

11. The admins don't communicate with students enough, they were essentially silent for 3/4 of the year, now they've started to ramp up their communication with us since we are taking boards soon and will be going on rotations.

12. Cafeteria sends more emails than anyone informing us of their soup of the day.

13. I hear from alumni that they do not wish to have any communication with the school, although they will help azcom students who reach out to them, just not the school itself.

14. Research - we have some okay bench work research, more so than other DO schools. I think the school is expanding on the research efforts, our research facility just got upgraded to do clinical trials as well. Research is crucial for matching, especially when you guys match.

These are just some thoughts from my fried brain, I have an exam in the morning. Good luck guys

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if theres a general day that acceptances go out? Interviewed on the 10th and have been nervously awaiting a decision...

And I had seen that someone posted earlier that there was a copy of an adcom evaluation form floating around somewhere. Does anyone have a link to that?

I interviewed yesterday. I was told that they have another round next week and the adcom meets wither that week or next. I was told to expect a decision in 2 weeks at the latest.

Im assuming this question has been asked before, but what is the last Interview date from AZCOM? Also, how much interaction do interviewers get with the dean during interview day?

Im assuming this question has been asked before, but what is the last Interview date from AZCOM? Also, how much interaction do interviewers get with the dean during interview day?

I heard that they have a final around mid may, but just call the admissions office, they are very nice there.

I don't think I saw the dean at all when I did my interview yesterday.

When I signed up a few days ago the latest date was May 11th (in addition to May 7th and May 8th) .. so I am guessing there may be a few more interview offerings left.

I'm new on this site. Not sure if I'm replying correctly...

Thanks for the info @hope2b62a & @husky92 . Sounds like its first come first serve then. I'd really like to be in Chicago, and I know there are only ~20 spots open. Eeep. Does anyone know if the clinical rotations are the same as CCOM students since the schools are linked?
The chicago rotations for AZCOM are not the same as CCOM. The list sent out was only a few hospitals, and that is the reason I didn't select Chicago. I think East/West valley offer best rotations for AZCOM- this is just by researching the hospitals/preceptors at each location.

Hi. Does anyone know where I can find interview feedback from AZCOM except for some comments on this page?

Current MS-II as well, throwaway.

I dont have an organized list, but just some thoughts I want to share with you all:

1. Compare to other DO schools, we really are pretty solid in terms of scores, facility, faculty, and most importantly - matching. We consistently have some of the most competitive matches coming out of the DO world, and that's all it counts in the end.

2. They break you down here and build you back up into a doctor, and that's what medical school should be. I met some students from newer schools and they praise how much they love their dean and the school makes them feel so welcome etc... so what? The process of making a doctor is like making a sausage, everyone likes a nice sausage but they should not look at how it's made. Students from PCOM, KCU, CCOM all come to hate school during their MS-II, AZCOM included, that's the sign of a school that really pushes their students and breaking their limits. This really pays off during rotations, when we are being compared to MD kids.

3. This year we had people who matched into MGH anesthesia, Vanderbilt anesthesia, ~30 EMs, 6+ orthos, multiple people into the UC system - and not just in primary care. My point is that when you look at a school, look at where the graduates are going, then look at your own goals, and see if they align. If you want something competitive, in a competitive location, but cannot get into an MD school, AZCOM is a pretty good bet - the only thing is that you have to work your ass off here, you will succeed if you put in the work because we do not have a culture of holding people back.

4. I want to go back to LA, so I'm in LA for rotations, I will be smack dab in the middle of the city. Even though I won't be rotating in UCLA or USC, I am close enough to those places where I can go out and make my own connections, that's something not easily done by Touro-CA or even Western students. Everyone in LA automatically get 2 electives in 3rd year, everyone else only gets 1.

5. Good mix of preceptor-based rotations and ward based rotations. Why would anyone want preceptor based rotation over ward-based? There is a reason, For example, if I want to do IM, I would want to do as many ward-based IM rotations as I can. I don't really care for OB, so I can just do a preceptor based OBGYN to get hands on experience with delivering babies and learn everyday practice of an OB, while having time to read for shelf exams. If I am on OB wards, I will be tired as hell trying to impress residents and attendings for a good eval, working my ass off and MAYBE get to do a procedure with someone, and I am still expected to read and study for shelf. Well I think my grade with a preceptor based will be better if I just have to impress 1 person, have more time to study for my test, and have less stress. Life is a game and I'm already playing on hard mode as a DO, I'm not gonna screw myself over trying to do ward-based everything.

6. I have friends at other DO schools, and I think as a whole, we're not as brain-washed as some other schools. Our students are pretty realistic about the disadvantages of DO vs. MD than other schools, which sounds pessimistic, but being a realist also means we are good at gauging our abilities and not sounding like an idiot when working with doctors in the real world.

7. Campus is nice and safe, I would've gone to Western if they didn't have bullet holes in their building....

9. Yes, some professors get vindictive, they are older and it's harder to change their point of view. I think our student council people are constantly working with them to improve that. It has gotten better already since they start to do reviews for exams now that cover just about 90% of the material on the test in 2 hours, we usually study for boards and cram of exams on the weekends at this point so that helps.

10. I hate that the school charges so freaking much for tuition, but midwestern is not alone, tuition is up everywhere in the country.

11. The admins don't communicate with students enough, they were essentially silent for 3/4 of the year, now they've started to ramp up their communication with us since we are taking boards soon and will be going on rotations.

12. Cafeteria sends more emails than anyone informing us of their soup of the day.

13. I hear from alumni that they do not wish to have any communication with the school, although they will help azcom students who reach out to them, just not the school itself.

14. Research - we have some okay bench work research, more so than other DO schools. I think the school is expanding on the research efforts, our research facility just got upgraded to do clinical trials as well. Research is crucial for matching, especially when you guys match.

These are just some thoughts from my fried brain, I have an exam in the morning. Good luck guys

thanks for the run down! can you post a link to the 2015 match?
thanks!

thanks for the run down! can you post a link to the 2015 match?
thanks!
no official match list given by the school yet but as far as some of the highlights, most people from my class got their top 5, if not their #1.
  • 13 anesthesia (incl: UT-houston, Vanderbilt, MGH)
  • 29 emergency medicine (Many excellent matches here to --> multiple to Maricopa Medical Center, Baystate, Western Michigan, UMKC, Texas A&M,
  • 40 family medicine (Incl: Ventura, Banner Good Sam, Missouri, Wake Forest, UC Davis)
  • 72 internal medicine (Incl: UA, UNM, UMN, Banner, Maricopa, Prov Portland, UT Houston, Texas A&M, U Cinci, UCSF Fresno
  • 3 neurology
  • 8 OB/GYN
  • 2 pathology
  • 2 ophthamology
  • 17 pediatrics (incl: Mayo- Rochester, PCH, U Cincinnati)
  • 3 PM&R (Incl: NYU, Larkin Miami, DMC -Wayne State)
  • 7 psychiatry (Incl: U Washington, Banner, Maricopa,
  • 2 radiology
  • 19 surgery (Incl: multiple DO Ortho and Gen surg)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the Accepted Student Checklist, but I was accepted at CCOM first and I decided on that one. Hope my spot goes to you one of you future physicians! Good luck!

I interviewed on 4/16/15; had the Accepted Student Checklist pop up a few hours ago. Good luck to everyone still interviewing!

For anyone curious, CGPA 3.5 SGPA ~3.49 MCAT 32. This was my third application cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if all applicants for a particular adcom round get the accepted portal at the same time?

Got accepted student portal! Interviewed 4/13. 3.7ugpa, 3.89grad GPA 29Q MCAT. Second cycle

Reactions: 2 users
Did you guys get an email notification or call as well?

I did not.
Did you guys get an email about matriculation agreement? My friend got accepted and is wondering if this is an error. It says it is passed due and he was accepted during the afternoon.

Glad I'm not the only one with that email. I believe it's an error or automated email. When I called the admissions office today after receiving the accepted checklist, the office told me they were still in the adcom meeting (this was around 1pm) and that I would be receiving an update later the next day.

Glad I'm not the only one with that email. I believe it's an error or automated email. When I called the admissions office today after receiving the accepted checklist, the office told me they were still in the adcom meeting (this was around 1pm) and that I would be receiving an update later the next day.
Oh perfect i figured it was an automated error too. I'm sure it made a few people lose it lol

Oh perfect i figured it was an automated error too. I'm sure it made a few people lose it lol

Yeah, I had a moment of panic considering my accepted checklist disappeared along with that email. I'll be calling first thing in the morning and can update then.

EDIT: Just off the phone with admissions; everything should be fixed by this afternoon! Class of 2019! :D

Last edited:
MWU class of 2019!

If it helps any of you who also got the withdrawal email (I panicked when I did), I was told this morning that I would have until May 8 to accept and pay the deposit.

Last edited:
Accepted as well guys! Congrats everyone who also got the great news!

Current Midwestern AZ masters student. If you have any questions about the campus or living here feel free to ask. For all those wondering if you are waitlisted or not, check the portal under "Applicant checklist" if you have a bunch of classes from undergrad listed with checks next to them you're waitlisted.

How do you know if you were rejected? Do everyone's portals change at the same time? I interviewed on 4/10 and haven't seen any change to my portal.

I'm going to withdraw, so which email address should I send notice to?

Hoping some people can shed some light on housing...

Are there any areas that are safer/areas to avoid? If I live off campus how convenient is it for me to find parking? AZCOM gave us some housing options both on and off campus, but are there other options that aren't listed? Pros/Cons of living on campus vs off campus?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
How do you know if you were rejected? Do everyone's portals change at the same time? I interviewed on 4/10 and haven't seen any change to my portal.
I think it can be different for everyone. People being accepted the same time as I was last fall were finding out for two or three days after I did, etc...hang in there.

Hoping some people can shed some light on housing...

Are there any areas that are safer/areas to avoid? If I live off campus how convenient is it for me to find parking? AZCOM gave us some housing options both on and off campus, but are there other options that aren't listed? Pros/Cons of living on campus vs off campus?

Thanks!

Areas to avoid: Phoenix is really spotty as far as safe areas and not so safe areas, around the school is generally safe. Glendale south of Cactus, from about the I-17 to 75 ave is not so safe. Central phoenix is again really spotty as far as safe/vs not safe.
Parking: Fairly easy to find a space, and nothing like a larger university like ASU/UA or most of the UC schools.
Places to live: On campus is great for making friends, esp if you are coming out here from far away and will not have any support nearby. You can study on campus, use the gym and the campus appts are safe. (They are not luxurious, but not bad.) San Prado, San Lagos and Sage Stone are all great too. (Sage stone being the best deal.) Any of the rentals North of the 101 on 59th or 67th are nice and there are a handful of nicer places near the Arrowhead Mall. I lived off campus for all 4 years, and enjoyed it. I have a support system here in Phoenix though.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me.

Called this morning and found out I was rejected. ugpa = 3.8, grad gpa=3.95, mcat=32, +1 publication. I thought the interview went really well, would it be pushy if I asked them to reconsider? Such a bummer. But congrats to everyone that got good news.
Sorry to hear you got rejected :(

I think that'd be pretty ballsy. I've never heard of anyone asking an adcom to reconsider their decision before and would think it'd be inadvisible. I probably wouldn't go further than asking if they could offer feedback on what you could've done better and then just reapplying during the next cycle. At least that'd demonstrate your continued interest in the program.

Best of luck!

Hello all, have any other late interviewers (May 1st) heard about a decision yet? :cat:

accepted!!!!! interviewed may 11 and my accepted student checklist was up today. good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Very happy to have been given an acceptance here but it looks like I'll be withdrawing now. Hope one of you guys get my spot! Best of luck to everyone!

Accepted and will be matriculating!! Phew.... May and June acceptances are probably the most gut wrenching.

c3.7, s3.6, 29.

Question! I am interested in on campus housing and have been offered a contract. They have a deadline for me set to accept or decline the offer next monday, but I am waitlisted and waiting on another school. If I accept this housing offer, may I be able to retract it if I get accepted by my waitlist school?

Edit: I clicked the accept button and it gave me all the details! lol

Last edited:
Hey! Does anyone know when the deposit deadline for the last interview group is? I got off the phone with admissions and they stated they've already started pulling from the alternate list and I'm trying to find out when the next wave of alternate acceptances should hit!

So if you're not living on campus, is there anyone where other accepted applications can contact each other to see if they want to live off campus together? Not finding any forums or links on their website.

So if you're not living on campus, is there anyone where other accepted applications can contact each other to see if they want to live off campus together? Not finding any forums or links on their website.

The Facebook group for our class is pretty active looking for roommates