Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^Ditto. Hoping I got wait listed but imagine the office is closed today for MLKD. Might just let the letter come to soften the potential blow.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who found out about their acceptance today, CONGRATS!!!! Q: when did you guys interview? I thought they were going to update the portal this Thursday. :confused:...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was surprised some people heard back today too, seeing at it is a holiday. But my understanding was that the committee meets and it is for everyone prior to that meeting whether it be a day or a month. I hope I am incorrect however!

I actually heard back on Friday. Interviewed on Wednesday.

I'm confused. When I logon to the portal, I click Admissions and on the right, under Post-Accepted, I see an option for Accepted Student Checklist. Clicking that says "This checklist is available to accepted applicants." Nothing else shows. Does this mean I'm not quite there yet?

I'm confused. When I logon to the portal, I click Admissions and on the right, under Post-Accepted, I see an option for Accepted Student Checklist. Clicking that says "This checklist is available to accepted applicants." Nothing else shows. Does this mean I'm not quite there yet?

Correct. If you were accepted, there would be a checklist there. The links are available to everyone, but the information in each link depends on where you're at. For example, before you were offered an interview, clicking the link would show a message that said something like "You currently are not scheduled for an interview."

Correct. If you were accepted, there would be a checklist there. The links are available to everyone, but the information in each link depends on where you're at. For example, before you were offered an interview, clicking the link would show a message that said something like "You currently are not scheduled for an interview."
Okay, thanks for the response.

*sigh* Guess I'll have to go ahead and start scheduling the flights for the next rounds of interviews other places.

The admission committee is meeting tomorrow. Decision has not been made for everyone who interviewed last week. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, yes

The admission committee is meeting tomorrow. Decision has not been made for everyone who interviewed last week. ;)
Do you have any idea if decisions have all been made for people who interviewed a week before that then? I interviewed 1/9 and still have yet to hear anything back. :'(

Phew. I called in to check (I was during the first week of January). Was ready for the crushing blow, but the very helpful person in admissions told me that no decision had been rendered on my application yet. And that they were meeting this week (potentially right now) - so those of us who haven't heard back don't need to get too worried yet.

Do you have any idea if decisions have all been made for people who interviewed a week before that then? I interviewed 1/9 and still have yet to hear anything back. :'(
I don't think so:) I was there last week and I was told there is no adcom meeting that week(last week)!

Holy... Just got the accepted checklist link!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
This is for current and potential students. If you had choices when deciding between schools how did you justify paying the tuition for AZCOM? I loved the school but the price seems a little ridiculous

Reactions: 1 user
Seemed like this school wasn't all about primary care like other osteopathic schools.

Accepted too! Interviewed 1/16 and my portal contained the accepted student checklist when I checked the following day...got an official phone call today.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted Student Checklist finally populated. I have my first acceptance. Thanks God, I'm so relieved.

Reactions: 4 users
This is for current and potential students. If you had choices when deciding between schools how did you justify paying the tuition for AZCOM? I loved the school but the price seems a little ridiculous
I'm thinking about that, too. For me, it's the fact that several of the faculty are current/former military, and I quickly liked all of the students I've met so far. Can't say the same for any other school, to date. I used to think it was just about what place let me in but I'm realizing that I'll have to spend four years there and I won't benefit from being around spoiled, self-congratulatory brats who walked life between the rain drops, and whose ascendancy to the medical profession was no harder than anything else in their charmed lives has been. I got the overwhelming impression that several of the other schools I interviewed with were stocked to the gills with those types, but not MWU. At least, not so far ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know what percentage of seats have been filled up thus far?

That's a great question and something anyone with multiple acceptances needs to seriously consider. AZCOM was my first choice for personal reasons, and at the time I was about to sign for the military scholarship route (HPSP), so tuition was an after thought. I backed out of the HPSP and had no other choice but to get government loans for school. Knowing what I know now (and how lols AZCOMs tuition is), I would have applied to many other schools. I had great stats, so I think I would have been in a good spot for any school. But I digress. If you choose to attend AZCOM, you should realize that you will graduate with at least 300k+ worth of debt, likely more if you are supporting someone else. Think about that near incomprehensible number and keep it in mind when choosing a school. AZCOM is a fantastic school, and I don't regret choosing it one bit, but will it ultimately effect your career end point if you went to AZCOM over a cheaper DO/MD school? Probably not. That being said, for those interested, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...opathic-medical-school.1113492/#post-16031343
Good information there about loan repayment plans the government currently has. There is light at the end of this very long tunnel, I promise.

Ended up alternate listed, I'm alright with that - in a much better frame of mind than yesterday haha.

I am sort of in the same boat as you. The tuition here is one of the highest out of all the MD/DO schools I know so I still haven't submitted that deposit..though the deadline is fast approaching =X For me, I already withdrew from other schools' acceptances offers and interviews and have narrowed down to CCOM and AZCOM. Still waiting for a few other MD schools then I'll make my final decision I guess

Does anyone know how many they accept from the alternate list?

Are you from Arizona? Do you plan on practicing in Arizona? You should check out the WICHE Grant. http://www.wiche.edu/psep/cert-off
Even if it says the deadline has passed, still apply.

AZCOM was also a first choice for me for various reasons and I did have several other acceptances. Cost of tuition is certainly an important factor to consider, but it isn't the only factor. When I really sat down and looked at costs, I found that most D.O. schools were not all that much cheaper. Certainly you have LECOM and places like that, but a lot of the ones I was accepted at were only a few to several thousand cheaper, and most of those were in areas that had a much higher cost of living than Phoenix. Nova in Ft. Lauderdale for example, I don't remember details now but it is only like 6 or 7K less than AZCOM and the cost of living there is quite high. If you have a family, that adds up REAL quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I think the tuition at AZCOM is completely ridiculous and I don't think ANY medical school can really justify such a cost. But a lot of those other schools aren't that much cheaper and paying the extra tuition here is worth it to me for reasons aside from just what the school can do for you.

I also found that once you factored in cost of living AZCOM was only 5-6 thousand more. With that difference, it was worth it for me to go to the school where I felt most comfortable and thought I could learn the most.

Are you from Arizona? Do you plan on practicing in Arizona? You should check out the WICHE Grant. http://www.wiche.edu/psep/cert-off
Even if it says the deadline has passed, still apply.

Just as an FYI, I called and the (beyond incredibly rude) lady said that most likely for everyone that applied after the deadline will not get any funding (which includes me), since she said that they had record volumes this cycle.

Hey all! Just received an II this morning - is it weird that the earliest interview date I have available is APRIL 10th?! Is this normal? And what do my chances look like at that point? Would appreciate it if someone shed some light.

EDIT: Just got another spot for February 13th! I'm so glad I checked to see if anything opened up!

AZCOM students or recent interviewees: any recommendations on where to stay, travel to/from campus, etc? I will be traveling from South Florida, by the way.

Last edited:
Can any current students comment on how much loan money to take out? Assuming, that is, that I am coming to AZ without a dollar, spoon or wardrobe to my name...

50ShadesOfNay,

I interviewed last week and the hotel list they provided is pretty useful. I stayed at the Drury Inn and, if you use the discount code, it's ~half price (can't remember the exact discount). There aren't many restaurants around so if you do decide to stay there, grab something at the airport. They do have free popcorn from 3-10PM and a free kickback from 5:30-7 PM (I got there at 8 and missed it so I only had 3 bags of popcorn for dinner). Free breakfast is provided and it's solid. There's a free shuttle to and from AZCOM (just let them know you need it). I didn't rent a car because I'm under 25 so I took the SuperShuttle which was ~$60 round trip. Hope this helped and best of luck!

Just as an FYI, I called and the (beyond incredibly rude) lady said that most likely for everyone that applied after the deadline will not get any funding (which includes me), since she said that they had record volumes this cycle.
Apply anyway.

While it may be a record year, things change, people's plans change, so it's always nice to have that app in. I didn't even fill out my app until May and was place on a waiting list. I eventually got the WICHE grant in June.

50ShadesOfNay,

I interviewed last week and the hotel list they provided is pretty useful. I stayed at the Drury Inn and, if you use the discount code, it's ~half price (can't remember the exact discount). There aren't many restaurants around so if you do decide to stay there, grab something at the airport. They do have free popcorn from 3-10PM and a free kickback from 5:30-7 PM (I got there at 8 and missed it so I only had 3 bags of popcorn for dinner). Free breakfast is provided and it's solid. There's a free shuttle to and from AZCOM (just let them know you need it). I didn't rent a car because I'm under 25 so I took the SuperShuttle which was ~$60 round trip. Hope this helped and best of luck!

Thanks! I decided to book a room at the Quality Inn which is around 2 miles away from the campus - they don't have free shuttles but a cab ride is ~$10. I chose that over Drury because I'm paying $67/night over the $94/night that Drury was charging. I am also leaning on taking a shuttle to and from the airport - less hassle and less stress.

How did your interview go, by the way? Any pointers? :)

I used it. It's good. Airport is good 30 mins from Drury hotel so $12.99 is a steal. They work in +/- 15 minutes schedules. After buying, call SuperShuttle to confirm/schedule. Print the vouchers to give to the driver.

Thanks! I decided to book a room at the Quality Inn which is around 2 miles away from the campus - they don't have free shuttles but a cab ride is ~$10. I chose that over Drury because I'm paying $67/night over the $94/night that Drury was charging. I am also leaning on taking a shuttle to and from the airport - less hassle and less stress.

How did your interview go, by the way? Any pointers? :)

I wish I had known goldenboy48's little tidbit. It would've saved me some money!

My interview was very conversational and it flew by. I almost didn't want it to end. Definitely have an answer for why you want to be an osteopathic physician and why AZCOM. I didn't have any tricky questions but be able to think critically if you do. Some people had a question where the interviewers wanted to see their reasoning. Know your CV as my interviewers asked about some of my activities.

All the students there were friendly and open to answering question. They just seemed like people you could easily be friends with. My portal changed the day after the interview and I got an acceptance call after the long weekend.

I wish I had known goldenboy48's little tidbit. It would've saved me some money!

My interview was very conversational and it flew by. I almost didn't want it to end. Definitely have an answer for why you want to be an osteopathic physician and why AZCOM. I didn't have any tricky questions but be able to think critically if you do. Some people had a question where the interviewers wanted to see their reasoning. Know your CV as my interviewers asked about some of my activities.

All the students there were friendly and open to answering question. They just seemed like people you could easily be friends with. My portal changed the day after the interview and I got an acceptance call after the long weekend.
Thank you so much!

Congrats on your acceptance, by the way! :)

Got a pre-interview hold a few weeks ago. Any advice?

I still haven't heard from CCOM, would you say they are more or less competitive than AZCOM?

Does anyone have any tips about good areas to live in Glendale? I've seen off campus studios for under $500 (mostly either near the highway east of campus or south around Northern Ave), but don't know enough about the area to know if these are places I'd feel safe. Lower income areas are fine, but I'd like to avoid gunshots and frequent police helicopters with spotlights.

I just received the pre-interview hold letter after my application was finally complete two weeks ago. It says that it is a positive thing, but does anyone have any experience with this? Can anything but an II or acceptance be positive this late in the process? Thanks in advance!