Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the student research situation at macomb? Any opportunities in pediatrics?

Also, anyone know if there is a MUC student gym or what gym options are in the area?

They give free gym passes to a YMCA like 5 miles away to like 5-10 students at MUC, but you have to go at least once or twice a week or they'll take it away and give it to someone else.

There is an LA fitness right next door some people use, but it costs money

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone. How long did it take for those accepted to receive an acceptance letter in the mail? Also, does this packet contain usernames and passwords that can be used to log into stuinfo/the site to order lab coats and whatnot? Thanks

Hey everyone. How long did it take for those accepted to receive an acceptance letter in the mail? Also, does this packet contain usernames and passwords that can be used to log into stuinfo/the site to order lab coats and whatnot? Thanks

1. Mine came within a couple days after the call. The letter was dated the same day as my call.

2. The PID and PAN numbers came in a different letter. This might be different since you were accepted late.

3. The information for ordering things is available on the COM website. No need to wait for your letter to arrive.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any tier I not accepted yet? Any tier II's hear back?

Does anyone know the exact tuition for the OS students?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

1. Mine came within a couple days after the call. The letter was dated the same day as my call.

2. The PID and PAN numbers came in a different letter. This might be different since you were accepted late.

3. The information for ordering things is available on the COM website. No need to wait for your letter to arrive.

Thank you for the quick response. Sorry, I'm new to SDN. When the msu merchandise website asks for a username and password should I just continue as a guest?

Thank you for the quick response. Sorry, I'm new to SDN. When the msu merchandise website asks for a username and password should I just continue as a guest?
Yes that should work. I believe for merchandise the username and password is only for follow-up orders (so your mailing address is saved).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup.

"All AACOMAS Applicants: 5395
Applicants Interviewed: 637 (interviews are complete)
Seat Deposits Paid: 320 (includes Canadian)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 25
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 28.5/505
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.64

Site Selection:

Detroit Medical Center: At capacity, currently a waiting list
Macomb University Center: At capacity
East Lansing: At capacity, currently a waiting list"

How big is the entering class? I noticed on the MSUCOM waitlist FAQs page it says the entering class is 300 but 320 deposits are paid. My guess is that it's 325 including Canadian and 5 seat deposits are not paid?

Last edited:
How big is the entering class? I noticed on the MSUCOM waitlist FAQs page it says the entering class is 300 but 320 deposits are paid. My guess is that it's 325 including Canadian and 5 seat deposits are not paid?
I think all have been paid since all campuses are at capacity but if you're right then there's a little more hope!

I received an email back from Anne Snyder and she stated that they are still pulling from tier I and have not made it to tier II.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking to connect with someone who has been accepted to the DO-PhD program at MSUCOM.....applying this cycle and just wanted some guidance? (if there is a forum can someone direct me to which one). Thanks!

I received the offer this Thursday. I was wait-listed for DO school in Oct after my DO MMI interview. Then I was asked to move forward to my PhD application and attended the recruitment weekend. There is no separate waitlist for DO-PhD applicants. I was told if the DO-PhD wants me in they will just call the dean of COM to pull me off the waitlist. It is a little different than DO only applicant because DO-PhD students dont occupy seats for the current year ( they start med school after their first PhD year).

What were your stats like for DO-PhD? looking to apply this cycle but not sure what stats are like

Looking to connect with someone who has been accepted to the DO-PhD program at MSUCOM.....applying this cycle and just wanted some guidance? (if there is a forum can someone direct me to which one). Thanks!
You should PM

Wonko

What neighborhoods near EL are family friendly? Where do most of the married med students live?

What neighborhoods near EL are family friendly? Where do most of the married med students live?
I've heard good things about Okemos. Other than that hit up the FB group. There are lots of current students on there to answer your questions.

For those accepted/current students, can we just order the orientation stuff and wait until financial aid comes through to order the medical supplies? Or will we need that all right away?

My boyfriend was accepted off the waitlist today! Around 230 pm. Tier one waitlist.

Will there be anyone looking for apartment or roommate starting from fall? This summer I ready have signed the lease for three months. But I am not sure about anything from fall and would be happy to share apartment with fellow med students. Just PM me if you are interested.

got the call at noon! taken off first tier waitlist, interviewed 1/26.. good luck to those still waiting!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call!!!!!!! This is just amazing!!!!!! Good luck to you all who are still waiting!!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks guys! Good thing that I didn't give up =). It's such a good feeling! My wife cried for like 30 mins!!! Her eyes still tears up when ever I tell her "we're going to Michigan!"!

So happy for both of you :)

Is there any current student who is a verteran? I need to get some information relating to veterans, but I can't get hold of the VA office. If you are a veteran, or know who is one, can you please send me a PM? Thanks alot!

Out of curiosity, does anyone here think it would be a bad idea to apply to both MSUCOM and MSU College of Human Medicine?

Out of curiosity, does anyone here think it would be a bad idea to apply to both MSUCOM and MSU College of Human Medicine?

Nope not at all! I don't think they can tell if you apply to one or the other. I applied to both. It's just playing it safe!

Nope. Many people did that this past cycle and were accepted to both programs.

I did that too actually, applying to both programs. However, in the end, I opted for the DO one since they offered me big scholarship and nothing at all from the MD program. It is a relatively simple choice for me to make. So, no, they won't penalize you for anything.