Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. 500 words maximum

2) How does the career of a physician fit with your characteristics and skill sets? 500

3) What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life? 250

4) If you had to choose a different career path what would that be? 250

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just completed my MSU undergrad, still living in the area. 1st time applying, hopefully the last!

Good luck, everyone! Current second-year here -- I'm happy to try and answer any various questions you may have.

How many students from each class attend each of the different campuses and what are the pros/cons to each campus?

How many students from each class attend each of the different campuses and what are the pros/cons to each campus?
There are approximately 200 in East Lansing and 50 each in Macomb and Detroit.

Size: (either large or small) is a factor for many people.
Facilities: The DMC and Macomb sites are new, which some people also like (Fee Hall in EL is pretty rickety).
Location: also a big factor; some people like the college town feel, others like a more suburban feel, and others like to live in Detroit and be integrated in the DMC.
Lectures: EL is the base for most of the professors, so many of the lectures are streamed from EL.
Research: EL is the best place to get into research. There are a ton of labs you can get involved with.

Umm... otherwise, all the sites have anatomy labs, OMM labs, computer labs, classrooms, etc... so they're all well equipped for students. Plus, you're only at one of those sites for two years before your clerkship years. Any particular things you were curious about?

Reactions: 1 users
Just completed my MSU undergrad, still living in the area. 1st time applying, hopefully the last!

Facilities: The DMC and Macomb sites are new, which some people also like (Fee Hall in EL is pretty rickety).
Location: also a big factor; some people like the college town feel, others like a more suburban feel, and others like to live in Detroit and be integrated in the DMC.
Lectures: EL is the base for most of the professors, so many of the lectures are streamed from EL.
Research: EL is the best place to get into research. There are a ton of labs you can get involved with.

Umm... otherwise, all the sites have anatomy labs, OMM labs, computer labs, classrooms, etc... so they're all well equipped for students. Plus, you're only at one of those sites for two years before your clerkship years. Any particular things you were curious about?
Do you choose which campus you attend if you are accepted?

Reactions: 1 user

Do you choose which campus you attend if you are accepted?
Good luck!

Yes, you are able to choose your campus. However, depending on when an acceptance comes your way, sites do fill up (usually DMC first, EL second, and Macomb last, I believe) so you may end up with only one or two to choose from.

Good luck!

Yes, you are able to choose your campus. However, depending on when an acceptance comes your way, sites do fill up (usually DMC first, EL second, and Macomb last, I believe) so you may end up with only one or two to choose from.
While I would prefer to stay in the East Lansing area, I love it here, I would be happy if I had no choice and was just stuck in Macomb. Haha

Perfect thank you! I was just looking for some general info on each from a student's perspective. That really helps!

Does anyone know if we don't get secondaries until after June 15th? My app says it is verified and med schools have received it, but then it says no med schools will get apps until the 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we don't get secondaries until after June 15th? My app says it is verified and med schools have received it, but then it says no med schools will get apps until the 15th.
I can't tell you with 100% certainty... but my understanding of the AACOMAS traffic rules is that schools cannot see your application at all until the 15th. So, unless they somehow get other information about people who selected their school, you will not get secondaries until after then.

Anyhow, they usually trickle in a few days to weeks after you are submitted and verified.

Things will change this year since they are not doing straight phone calls anymore. They might start interviewing in August or September so I don't think you have to worry too much if it's not in on the first day.

Going through previous years thread I noticed that if you want to have a chance here you should have around 600 volunteer hours. I have some volunteer experience but not nearly that much. Am I basically already rejected?

Going through previous years thread I noticed that if you want to have a chance here you should have around 600 volunteer hours. I have some volunteer experience but not nearly that much. Am I basically already rejected?
No. While volunteer experience is highly desirable, a huge amount is by no means required. Note that the hours include volunteering done in high school, so if you dig deep you'll probably find that you have more hours than you expected!

I was told that while volunteer hours are desireable, you by no means have to have a large amount of volunteer hours on your app because they are so easily exaggerated by people.

No. While volunteer experience is highly desirable, a huge amount is by no means required. Note that the hours include volunteering done in high school, so if you dig deep you'll probably find that you have more hours than you expected!
Thanks for your response. I feel that ECs are the weakest part of my application and MSU is my number one choice so I hope this doesn't come back to bite me.

I was told that while volunteer hours are desireable, you by no means have to have a large amount of volunteer hours on your app because they are so easily exaggerated by people.
Thanks for responding, I've been reading in previous years threads that volunteer hours are weighted as 30-40% of an application so I'm still a bit nervous :/ I hope I've got enough

Make sure to apply early, give great answers on the secondary, and continue to do community service while applying this year and update your hours

Applying this cycle. Non trad, 3.7 sgpa, 3.7 cgpa, ~100 hours ER volunteering and will keep doing it throughout the cycle, 1500+ hours as a med tech, about 40 hours DO shadowing, 25 mcat.

I think my volunteer hours and my mcat score kill my chances. I've been looking into taking the new mcat, has anyone taken it?

Applying this cycle. Non trad, 3.7 sgpa, 3.7 cgpa, ~100 hours ER volunteering and will keep doing it throughout the cycle, 1500+ hours as a med tech, about 40 hours DO shadowing, 25 mcat.

I think my volunteer hours and my mcat score kill my chances. I've been looking into taking the new mcat, has anyone taken it?

Your MCAT is the more worrisome problem than your volunteering hours. Otherwise, with a good MCAT score, your volunteering hours are fine. I know people with much less get in.

I applied late last year and my application was not refined. Hopefully being prepared pays off this year.

Btw can anyone shed some light on the Canadian Initiative beyond the one page Pdf? I am in an interesting situation since I took my undergrad in the States but retain Canadian citizenship.

I applied late last year and my application was not refined. Hopefully being prepared pays off this year.

Btw can anyone shed some light on the Canadian Initiative beyond the one page Pdf? I am in an interesting situation since I took my undergrad in the States but retain Canadian citizenship.
Are you a dual citizen or solely a Canadian citizen? Do you have any specific questions? There is a bit more information here: http://com.msu.edu/Students/Career_Guidance/canadian_student_Resources_5_22_14.pdf
You can find more general information here (sure you've probably seen this before): http://www.studentdo.ca/drupal_beta/premed/schools/MSU-COM

Feel free to message me with any specifics and I would be happy to reach out to one of our Canadian students.

Good luck this cycle!

Are you a dual citizen or solely a Canadian citizen? Do you have any specific questions? There is a bit more information here: http://com.msu.edu/Students/Career_Guidance/canadian_student_Resources_5_22_14.pdf
You can find more general information here (sure you've probably seen this before): http://www.studentdo.ca/drupal_beta/premed/schools/MSU-COM

Feel free to message me with any specifics and I would be happy to reach out to one of our Canadian students.

Good luck this cycle!

Thank you for the links. I've read through studentdo.ca but I hadn't come across that page on the MSU website.

Here we go guys
Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. 500
How does the career of a physician fit with your characteristics and skill sets? 500
What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life? 500
If you had to choose a different career path what would that be? 250

One of my top choices!

EDIT: Did anyone receive a secondary email yet? I've been verified for a couple weeks but haven't heard anything from MSU

Last edited:
No secondary invite yet. Only CCOM has came through.

Things will change this year since they are not doing straight phone calls anymore. They might start interviewing in August or September so I don't think you have to worry too much if it's not in on the first day.

Are they changing their process and interviewing everyone this year?

One of my top choices. MI resident, non trad., 3.7+ GPA, equivalent of ~28 on the May MCAT. Have some big number of hours volunteering, but non medical. Planning to put in plenty of hours at a clinic early fall as I know that's my weak spot. (Well, and the MCAT...but I'd rather not do that again)

Last edited:
Here we go guys
Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. 500
How does the career of a physician fit with your characteristics and skill sets? 500
What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life? 500

Is it me or is number 1 and number 2 very similar questions? Number 2 is very different than last year's secondary for MSUCOM.

Here we go guys

Did anyone else get a secondary yet?

For the last question, do you think they mean a career path outside of the field of medicine? or just anything besides a physician?

Here we go guys

Just want to double check that the legacy question is out of 500 words. I noticed last year it was only 250. Thought it was worth asking before I start pre-writing the essay (hopefully verification comes soon!). Thanks again for posting!!

"Do you have any medically-related shadowing or clinical experiences?"

Are they even looking at our AACOMAS applications?

Reactions: 1 user

Does the secondary differ from what's been posted in the thread?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

"All candidates applying to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine will receive a supplemental application." - in the email. So the supplemental is probably unscreened. Not as meaningful to receive a secondary here than other schools I assume. Asking the question probably helps to highlight that experience though.

Super long secondary...Why do we have to list volunteer and clinical experiences/ coursework all over again...SMH

I absolutely refuse to complete this in one sitting:annoyed:

Last edited:
Are the Essay questions are same as last year?

Just want to double check that the legacy question is out of 500 words. I noticed last year it was only 250. Thought it was worth asking before I start pre-writing the essay (hopefully verification comes soon!). Thanks again for posting!!
It is 250 words for the "legacy" question.

Does this school interview? I heard that they dont but I also hear that they do...