Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, and for anybody wondering my stats.. IS 27 MCAT, 3.67 gpa, upward trend in GPA over the 4 years in undergrad. I also have about 3+ years of healthcare experience.. not sure if that made a difference!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got the call a little while ago!! Accepted off the waitlist! I am still shaking and never thought this would happen!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else still waiting to hear. Do not lose hope!!

Congratulations!

Just browsing along the school specific threads and saw you got accepted! Seems like yesterday you were just raking in those IIs and now you're in at MSUCOM.

Congratulations!

Just browsing along the school specific threads and saw you got accepted! Seems like yesterday you were just raking in those IIs and now you're in at MSUCOM.

Thank you so much! You were a huge help and gave me a lot of great advice!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I WAS JUST ACCEPTED TODAY AS WELL!!!! So pumped! Okay, so have you gotten the email from them yet? I really want the site location in EL.. so I want to jump on getting everything submitted since the lady told me it is a first come first serve basis.

Oh my gosh, that is too awesome!! Congrats to you too! No, I still haven't gotten the email yet and my portal still has the waitlist tab, so I was kind of worries but hopefully they'll send everything tomorrow! Did you get any emails yet?

I WAS JUST ACCEPTED TODAY AS WELL!!!! So pumped! Okay, so have you gotten the email from them yet? I really want the site location in EL.. so I want to jump on getting everything submitted since the lady told me it is a first come first serve basis.
Congratulations!!! Hope to see you in EL ... in just over 2 months :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
CONGRATS! Have you done anything significant from the time you were waitlisted to when you were accepted? Talk to any of the advisors? Or did you simply just wait lol

Thank you!! I was way too anxious to just wait lol so I actually just met with one of the advisors 2 weeks ago and I sent in a combined update and interest letter right after the meeting. I started working as a scribe a few months ago and recently shadowed a couple of physicians who teach at the school, so those were things I mentioned in my update too. I think all of that must have made a difference.

Hopefully that helps, but feel free to ask me any other questions! Good luck to you - there's still plenty of time to hear back!

Oh my gosh, that is too awesome!! Congrats to you too! No, I still haven't gotten the email yet and my portal still has the waitlist tab, so I was kind of worries but hopefully they'll send everything tomorrow! Did you get any emails yet?

I just got my email this morning. So I am having a bit of a dilemma... It says that all of the orientation fees of 540 is due 4/11, yet I also have to pay the seat deposit of 1050.. I am freaking out. I don't have enough to pay both off right at this moment. Not making that much cash flow at my job lol Also, I know this sounds terrible because I am so thankful for this opportunity, but I am on the wait list at Wayne State at the moment and that is where I really want to go. I am fine losing the seat deposit if I get in there.. but another 540 is just crazy! I don't know what to do.. and I just tried calling the lady in charge of orientation. Apparently she is out of the office until 4/15. Sigh. What do you think?

What type of attire is appropriate for the East Lansing site visit? Is business casual appropriate for females or were people mostly in full suits?

I just got my email this morning. So I am having a bit of a dilemma... It says that all of the orientation fees of 540 is due 4/11, yet I also have to pay the seat deposit of 1050.. I am freaking out. I don't have enough to pay both off right at this moment. Not making that much cash flow at my job lol Also, I know this sounds terrible because I am so thankful for this opportunity, but I am on the wait list at Wayne State at the moment and that is where I really want to go. I am fine losing the seat deposit if I get in there.. but another 540 is just crazy! I don't know what to do.. and I just tried calling the lady in charge of orientation. Apparently she is out of the office until 4/15. Sigh. What do you think?
Definitely a tough decision. Maybe the $540 for orientation swag/dues is refundable if you don't end up enrolling? I If I were you, I would try to get in touch with Lorie Culham in the office -- she's really helpful. Or just try calling and talking to anyone else there. Otherwise, that's what credit cards are for. :greedy:

What type of attire is appropriate for the East Lansing site visit? Is business casual appropriate for females or were people mostly in full suits?
There was a wide range of formality, from people in hoodies and t-shirts to full suits. Business casual is certainly appropriate enough, but I would say that you'd be most comfortable in a suit.

Reactions: 1 user

I wore a suit when I went to the visit day(I'm female), but I felt over dressed. I say business casual is perfectly fine :)

I wore a suit when I went to the visit day(I'm female), but I felt over dressed. I say business casual is perfectly fine :)
Ah that's perfect timing! I am visiting MUC on Friday. PS I called admissions yesterday, asking about site availability and was told that only MUC is available now.

Great thank you! I think I'm going to go the business casual route

Members don't see this ad :)

Yep, I got the email and admission offer on my portal this morning as well. I just sent in the deposit and orientation fee and confirmed my site preference. I'm assuming your deposit deadline also says 4/14, right? As far as the orientation fee goes, I saw it said something about allowing credit card payments up until April 11, so Idk if that's necessarily the general order deadline or just that they will only accept credit cards as a payment method until 4/11. I decided to get it all taken care of today so that it's not hanging over my head, and I am 100% sure I will be attending here. In your case, 540 is a lot of money to pay in addition to the deposit, if you're not totally set on going here. I would maybe try calling the school to ask if you have to order everything by 4/11, since it can't hurt to ask!

So I really want the site in EL.. What does that mean if I put it first on my selection? Do I stay wait listed? Or just put at MUC? Then can I go to EL of a spot opens? I guess I am confused..

So I really want the site in EL.. What does that mean if I put it first on my selection? Do I stay wait listed? Or just put at MUC? Then can I go to EL of a spot opens? I guess I am confused..

I would put EL as your first choice
and then the Macomb campus as your second choice under the comments section. They'll put you at the Macomb site for now, but you'll be on the waitlist for the EL site, and if enough people withdraw who chose the EL site, you'll be moved to it. At least, that's how I think it works!

I'll be going to the visit day tomorrow in EL with my husband also. It is from around 1 PM to 4 PM, correct? I thought that I would have received more of a confirmation about what I had selected, but nothing shows up in my "tours" tab. :)

I'll be going to the visit day tomorrow in EL with my husband also. It is from around 1 PM to 4 PM, correct? I thought that I would have received more of a confirmation about what I had selected, but nothing shows up in my "tours" tab. :)
Thanks! You too!

Anyone have an idea how long the wait list normally is? I was just added TO the wait list on 4-8...trying to get a realistic sense of my chances. Thanks!

I feel like an idiot but I either haven't received information about passing orientation fees or can't find that information. Can someone help me out?

Does anyone know when we get our MSU ID?
You should get a letter in the mail with your PIN/PAD numbers that also includes information on just about everything else you need to do before June! You can use those numbers to get yourself a MSU e-mail address and access to StuInfo... which you'll use for basically everything (enrollment, financial aid disbursement, academic information, etc.). If you've been accepted for a while and still haven't received that letter, I would give them a call. My account has already been updated for tuition & financial aid, and I believe we can start confirming attendance tomorrow.

So um...apparently that grad school app is very important LOL.

You should get a letter in the mail with your PIN/PAD numbers that also includes information on just about everything else you need to do before June! You can use those numbers to get yourself a MSU e-mail address and access to StuInfo... which you'll use for basically everything (enrollment, financial aid disbursement, academic information, etc.). If you've been accepted for a while and still haven't received that letter, I would give them a call. My account has already been updated for tuition & financial aid, and I believe we can start confirming attendance tomorrow.
Sweet! got it. Thanks man.

So i went and got my fingerprints taken, how do we know if/when the school as received that information? I followed the steps and so Im sure it will or did already but just wanted to make sure.

So i went and got my fingerprints taken, how do we know if/when the school as received that information? I followed the steps and so Im sure it will or did already but just wanted to make sure.

I never was given a conformation in regards to when they received them, so I called and was told the deans office had the report. If you are worried about if they have--email
Brenda J. Schmidt
[email protected]

Has anyone successfully sent a letter of intent? In that I mean having some intuition that it helped one get accepted.

A bit off-topic from the current discussions, but I am a dual US/Canadian citizen attending university in Canada. I was born in the U.S. and attended high school in the U.S. I am very interested in MSU, likely applying the 2015-16 cycle. Do I apply under the Canadian program or OOS? Is it my choice or MSU's?

Did you send in a grad app as an update? and then they accepted you off the waitlist?
Haha, I'm guessing they just mean that it's important to send in the "graduate application": a silly piece of paper that means you're "technically" applying for the program (you get it in your acceptance e-mail). I think that your enrollment status and everything else is at a standstill until they get it.

Has anyone successfully sent a letter of intent? In that I mean having some intuition that it helped one get accepted.
I heard that MSUCOM does not accept letters of intent :(. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I heard that MSUCOM does not accept letters of intent :(. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe they don't mind if you upload one to the portal but I'm not sure how effective those letters are, I was told updates and newer LOR can be more helpful.

Did you send in a grad app as an update? and then they accepted you off the waitlist?
No. I didn't do much of anything before getting accepted off the waitlist. Once offered admission, there is a paper professional graduate application you have to fill out and send. Apparently people were losing their spots because they didn't send this in.

No. I didn't do much of anything before getting accepted off the waitlist. Once offered admission, there is a paper professional graduate application you have to fill out and send. Apparently people were losing their spots because they didn't send this in.
:eek:...

I'll assume that's because they weren't planning on matriculating, period. Hopefully MSU would send reminders before kicking people out!

I believe they don't mind if you upload one to the portal but I'm not sure how effective those letters are, I was told updates and newer LOR can be more helpful.
At this point in time, you have to send those letters through snail mail. I was told that explicitly as well.

I'll assume that's because they weren't planning on matriculating, period. Hopefully MSU would send reminders before kicking people out!
Yeah but I mean those people have paid the deposits, and then lost those deposits.

Anyway, I'll be at Macomb site. That place is "whoa" nice.

At this point in time, you have to send those letters through snail mail. I was told that explicitly as well.
I think they also accept it through Fax. At least I hope they do, because that's how I sent it. I got my site placement confirmed so I think that means I'm good?

So sending in an update letter to the portal is still accepted correct? I just completed another course and sent them the unofficial transcript as well as an update letter on the portal.

I was delayed a bit in sending my grad app and they sent me an email reminding me that the deadline was approaching and my stuff wasn't all in. So don't freak out, I don't think they'll just take your spot away!

does anyone know much about deferring acceptances? if I am fortunate enough to get accepted off the waitlist, I would like to defer one year, but im not sure if waitlist acceptances can be deferred. It's quite nerve-wracking to think i might potentially be starting classes a week after hearing from them... and i also have some personal reasons. any input would be appreciated!