Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you'll finish your PhD in a year and a half? So are you not starting at MSUCOM this fall? I thought you were admitted to the DO/PhD program at MSU
I'm starting this June. I'll finish my PhD as soon as I publish my dissertation. It took me a year and a half of HARD work to do my research, take the required courses, and write my comps. I didn't chose the do/phd because I hope to polish and publish my dissertation while doing my 1st year so I can still graduate in 2018. If I can't find the time, I'll have to officially enter the do/phd program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm starting this June. I'll finish my PhD as soon as I publish my dissertation. It took me a year and a half of HARD work to do my research, take the required courses, and write my comps. I didn't chose the do/phd because I hope to polish and publish my dissertation while doing my 1st year so I can still graduate in 2018. If I can't find the time, I'll have to officially enter the do/phd program.

Wow..so did you pretty much do all the research for your PhD in only a year and a half? Sorry for all the questions but I never knew you could enter the DO program while still doing the PhD. A few people I know started as a PhD at MSU and then officially applied to the DO program during their second year so they are officially in the DO/PhD and would still require 7-8 years to finish both degrees.

Wow..so did you pretty much do all the research for your PhD in only a year and a half? Sorry for all the questions but I never knew you could enter the DO program while still doing the PhD. A few people I know started as a PhD at MSU and then officially applied to the DO program during their second year so they are officially in the DO/PhD and would still require 7-8 years to finish both degrees.
I either am missing something or should be really really impressed. I have worked in and studied cognitive neuroscience for seven years... and have never seen anyone deviate much beyond the master's in two years and PhD in five (except for perhaps taking a couple extra years in behavioral neuro). If you work really hard, I have known one grad student who pushed through in four (though this was in social neuro where the job market is pretty hot right now). Cognitive and behavioral neuroscience is almost always 5+ ...in my experience? :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
I either am missing something or should be really really impressed. I have worked in and studied cognitive neuroscience for seven years... and have never seen anyone deviate much beyond the master's in two years and PhD in five (except for perhaps taking a couple extra years in behavioral neuro). If you work really hard, I have known one grad student who pushed through in four (though this was in social neuro where the job market is pretty hot right now). Cognitive and behavioral neuroscience is almost always 5+ ...in my experience? :shrug:

Yea I agree I've never seen anyone finish a PhD in less than five years so maybe I'm just misunderstanding what @drgsxrm32018 is saying. I think the thing that threw me off was that he/ she said " It took me a year and a half of HARD work to do my research". I am glad that I'm not the only one that thinks getting a PhD in one in and half year is insane and kinda impossible. I also didn't think that you can enter the DO program while still trying to finish your PhD (unless you are admitted to the DO/PhD program).

Yea I agree I've never seen anyone finish a PhD in less than five years so maybe I'm just misunderstanding what @drgsxrm32018 is saying. I think the thing that threw me off was that he/ she said " It took me a year and a half of HARD work to do my research". I am glad that I'm not the only one that thinks getting a PhD in one in and half year is insane and kinda impossible. I also didn't think that you can enter the DO program while still trying to finish your PhD (unless you are admitted to the DO/PhD program).
Haha, if so, I would have totally done it already. Finishing classwork in the first two years is likely, and finishing a major research project that could carry over to a dissertation is possible. Beyond that, most programs have a four to five year timeline that is relatively rigid with multiple checkpoints.

Does anyone know the max amount of Stafford loans (sub and unsub) money your allowed to take out for MSUCOM's summer semester? I can't find that figure anywhere. I know the total for the year is 40,500K (20K or so for fall and spring) but how much goes towards the summer semester? Thanks guys

Does anyone know the max amount of Stafford loans (sub and unsub) money your allowed to take out for MSUCOM's summer semester? I can't find that figure anywhere. I know the total for the year is 40,500K (20K or so for fall and spring) but how much goes towards the summer semester? Thanks guys
Dunno if this is helpful... but I was approved (in-state) for just under $14,000.00 Stafford for the summer semester and then $40,500.00 Stafford plus ~$3,600 Grad PLUS on top of that for Fall/Spring.

So around $58k in total loan availability going through Spring, which totally covers the COA. The ~$54,500 total in Stafford is possible since they're different academic years, but I believe anything in the same academic year (Fall-Spring-Summer) over $40,500 is covered by Grad PLUS (as evident by the overage in the Fall/Spring money).
http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2018/Financial_Aid/2014_Medical_Budgets.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No May update yet or maybe they are done. There are only a few of us on SDN that are waiting to hear about their fate.

Dunno if this is helpful... but I was approved (in-state) for just under $14,000.00 Stafford for the summer semester and then $40,500.00 Stafford plus ~$3,600 Grad PLUS on top of that for Fall/Spring.

So around $58k in total loan availability going through Spring, which totally covers the COA. The ~$54,500 total in Stafford is possible since they're different academic years, but I believe anything in the same academic year (Fall-Spring-Summer) over $40,500 is covered by Grad PLUS (as evident by the overage in the Fall/Spring money).
http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2018/Financial_Aid/2014_Medical_Budgets.pdf

Are you taking out Grad plus loans, too? For Fall + Spring. Doesn't seem like we absolutely need them.

Last edited:
Just declined my seat, hope it makes someone's day tomorrow. Ps I got the call on Tues afternoon so they aren't done yet... It ain't over till June 11! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Are you taking out Grad plus loans, too? For Fall + Spring. Doesn't seem like we absolutely need them.
Naw, I declined the Grad PLUS for Fall 2014 + Spring 2015; I don't think those few thousand dollars are necessary (and can be reinstated in the future if so). However, I do think Summer 2015 (and 2016 and 2017) would be solely Grad PLUS since it's lumped with Fall 2014 + Spring 2015 as far as the academic year goes -- and the Stafford limits follow -- so if people are solely reliant on loans for everything (and borrowing Stafford to the limit for Fall + Spring), it might be impossible to go the whole time without Grad PLUS!

That's at least how I understand it; someone else should feel free to correct me if I'm way off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just declined my seat, hope it makes someone's day tomorrow. Ps I got the call on Tues afternoon so they aren't done yet... It ain't over till June 11! Good luck!

Congratulations BTW! It's good to hear that there is some more movement. Good luck at your chosen school. :)

Sounds like Paradoc goes to show the season isn't over yet. :)

It was like crickets for the WL this week on SDN, at least to me. LOL I wonder when or if they are going to let people know if they are in the top 10-20 like they did for previous years?

Naw, I declined the Grad PLUS for Fall 2014 + Spring 2015; I don't think those few thousand dollars are necessary (and can be reinstated in the future if so). However, I do think Summer 2015 (and 2016 and 2017) would be solely Grad PLUS since it's lumped with Fall 2014 + Spring 2015 as far as the academic year goes -- and the Stafford limits follow -- so if people are solely reliant on loans for everything (and borrowing Stafford to the limit for Fall + Spring), it might be impossible to go the whole time without Grad PLUS!

That's at least how I understand it; someone else should feel free to correct me if I'm way off.

Yeah, I was just about to decline them too, but thought I'd ask first. That is very interesting, though; I am definitely relying all on loans... Even with some saved up money I don't have tens of thousands lol. The only thing I have been worrying about is loans and paying for things. Now that's settling, I can get back to worrying about starting med school! :)

Thanks, and see you soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I was just about to decline them too, but thought I'd ask first. That is very interesting, though; I am definitely relying all on loans... Even with some saved up money I don't have tens of thousands lol. The only thing I have been worrying about is loans and paying for things. Now that's settling, I can get back to worrying about starting med school! :)

Thanks, and see you soon!
Haha, yeah, it sure does add up quickly :greedy:. I was just staring at that $40,500 in Stafford loans on my stuinfo page and thinking about how much money that is (for a small chunk of our education) ... But at least it seems like MSU makes it pretty easy to take action on and manage loans, so that's pretty nice :laugh:!

See you guys soon indeed!

Hello everyone! I was just accepted off the waitlist last Friday and accepted the offer on Saturday! Over the past few days I've been trying to get up to speed with getting all the forms and pre-matriculation things in.

How soon after your acceptance did you get your login information for StuInfo/ a student ID?
Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist after the April deadline to order orientation materials and had any problems?

I've done the fingerprints, filled out the immunization form, found an apartment, and switched my financial aid from another school to MSU already, so mostly everything is falling into place. Appreciate the responses :)

Hello everyone! I was just accepted off the waitlist last Friday and accepted the offer on Saturday! Over the past few days I've been trying to get up to speed with getting all the forms and pre-matriculation things in.

How soon after your acceptance did you get your login information for StuInfo/ a student ID?
Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist after the April deadline to order orientation materials and had any problems?

I've done the fingerprints, filled out the immunization form, found an apartment, and switched my financial aid from another school to MSU already, so mostly everything is falling into place. Appreciate the responses :)

Congrats on being accepted!!
Sounds like you're off to a good start with stuff, as far as your stuinfo login and email: you will receive some pin numbers in the mail (takes forever, I still haven't gotten my letter). However you can call registrar and ask for the pin numbers so you can get started (that's what I did)!

I was accepted after the deadline and I haven't had any problems with ordering things.

Don't hesitate to call registrar, they are extremely helpful and super nice about everything. Welcome to our family :)

That’s great news! Congratulations and thanks for sharing! You are keeping hope alive for the rest of your wait-listed kin.

Just got accepted off the waitlist!!! Hang in there guys! :)

does anyone know if MSU is graded or pass/fail? Do they rank the students? thanks

They only usually give residencies your transcript with P/F on it, but they can request the individual breakdown with your percentage grade and percentile rank for each course as well as the overall percentile rank.

Would we be able to request a percentile rank?

When do classes begin for MSUCOM

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hello Everybody,

New to SDN but I just got admitted off the waitlist this past Monday! I hope this gives encouragement to those that are still on it! Couple quick questions, where do we get the course pack for ANTR-510? Is there a electronic version on the internet that I'm not seeing? Also, how long does it take to get the student portal info? Should I just call the registrar to get all this info? Thank everyone and look forward to seeing everyone in Lansing!

-K

Hello Everybody,

New to SDN but I just got admitted off the waitlist this past Monday! I hope this gives encouragement to those that are still on it! Couple quick questions, where do we get the course pack for ANTR-510? Is there a electronic version on the internet that I'm not seeing? Also, how long does it take to get the student portal info? Should I just call the registrar to get all this info? Thank everyone and look forward to seeing everyone in Lansing!

-K
Congrats! We get the coursepack during orientation. We don't have portal access until classes begin. You will get your login info and student number in the mail, takes a week or two. See you soon!

Hello Everybody,

-K

Congratulations!!!! :)

I've been on the waitlist since late March. Has anyone heard about acceptances for next year's class? When I was at the visit day in April, they were saying that some people would be offered spots in the next class. Still hoping to get in this year, though. The wait is killing me, lol! Any day could be THE day that changes my life.

Congratulations!!!! :)

I've been on the waitlist since late March. Has anyone heard about acceptances for next year's class? When I was at the visit day in April, they were saying that some people would be offered spots in the next class. Still hoping to get in this year, though. The wait is killing me, lol! Any day could be THE day that changes my life.

Congratulations Indeed!

I know that a lot of us are in the same boat right now, and it's been a bit of a struggle at times to stay positive. I have developed a somewhat neurotic checking behavior, myself ;) but I wouldn't have it any other way. It is sort of amazing to think how a single phone call could change the direction of ones life. I was at the visit day in April as well (perhaps we met?) and haven't heard either way about the spots for next year. I think they are still taking folks off the wait list through next week...so it could still happen!

Also, I just wanted to say that I am grateful for this forum and am thankful for those who have shared their stories of heartache, perseverance, and success. Witnessing someone's dream come to fruition, getting a sense of their joy and excitement is inspiring....perhaps more so when you have a sense of the sacrifices and dedication it took to get there. Thanks to all those who took the time to share, It is appreciated!

I was accepted this morning. It was completely unexpected and I was already studying to re-take my MCAT. The wait list is still moving so hang in there.

Congratulations Indeed!

I know that a lot of us are in the same boat right now, and it's been a bit of a struggle at times to stay positive. I have developed a somewhat neurotic checking behavior, myself ;) but I wouldn't have it any other way. It is sort of amazing to think how a single phone call could change the direction of ones life. I was at the visit day in April as well (perhaps we met?) and haven't heard either way about the spots for next year. I think they are still taking folks off the wait list through next week...so it could still happen!

Also, I just wanted to say that I am grateful for this forum and am thankful for those who have shared their stories of heartache, perseverance, and success. Witnessing someone's dream come to fruition, getting a sense of their joy and excitement is inspiring....perhaps more so when you have a sense of the sacrifices and dedication it took to get there. Thanks to all those who took the time to share, It is appreciated!

I was there too with my husband. We were sitting in the area without a bunch of students. It was funny to hear the others ask my husband what he majored in and where he went to school, lol! Too bad we all didn't talk to each other more.
Congrats again to everyone so far! :)

Do you guys know if there two types of wait lists? Priority and regular?

Do you guys know if there two types of wait lists? Priority and regular?

Just one and we are ranked but they don't tell us where we stand. In prior years they would tell if you reached the top 10 or so.

Just one and we are ranked but they don't tell us where we stand. In prior years they would tell if you reached the top 10 or so.

Thank you. Also how important is the phone call from MSU? If you miss it what happens? They move on to the next wait listed candidate?

Thank you. Also how important is the phone call from MSU? If you miss it what happens? They move on to the next wait listed candidate?

They will pass you up to the next person

Haha...j/k! They e-mail you also. :)

Hi all - I have a 2 bedroom apartment at Glenwood Apartments which is SUPER close to the medical school (so you don't have to pay extra to park at the med school, you can just walk). The apartment is renovated and has a washer/dryer in the unit. I am looking for a female, fun/friendly/fairly clean roommate. The lease starts August 22. PM me for more details please!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I recently had $450 deposited into my student account as "Osteo Med Deposit". Is that all that we get back from the $1050 acceptance deposit we paid? I know the student info book says the deposit is "partially applied" to tuition, but I was hoping it would be a larger chunk than that...