Michigan State University c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys! Houses sell crazy fast in MI so this is a pretty interesting house hunting process haha. Everything we’ve been finding is like 20-25min away and I wanted to make sure that was going to work for us before we jump on something.
If you don’t have a realtor you’re working with, I’d definitely recommend finding one. Sometimes they have the low down on houses before they technically are on the market. That’s how my parents found their house in an area they liked. We saw it the night before it went public and put an offer that night :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don’t have a realtor you’re working with, I’d definitely recommend finding one. Sometimes they have the low down on houses before they technically are on the market. That’s how my parents found their house in an area they liked. We saw it the night before it went public and put an offer that night :laugh:

Yeah that’s what we are doing. I mean houses literally sell so fast if we didn’t have a realtor we would never see anything haha

Reactions: 1 user
It is taking a LOT of self control to not keep emailing admissions about updates to the waitlist. Ugh I don’t wanna wait another week o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
It is taking a LOT of self control to not keep emailing admissions about updates to the waitlist. Ugh I don’t wanna wait another week o_O

I can only imagine. You’re getting really close now.

Enrolled in 1st year classes today!! :love:

Reactions: 12 users
Feeling a little discouraged that I still haven’t heard anything... has anyone else??

Feeling a little discouraged that I still haven’t heard anything... has anyone else??

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the class is filled and the only way seats are going to open up is if people drop out for various reasons, such as getting pulled from other waitlists throughout the spring and summer

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the class is filled and the only way seats are going to open up is if people drop out for various reasons, such as getting pulled from other waitlists throughout the spring and summer
Wouldn’t they have sent out a “class is filled” email??

Wouldn’t they have sent out a “class is filled” email??

I doubt it, because they likely anticipate movement later in the summer. Just because the class is full right now doesn't mean people won't be dropping their seats to attend other schools or whatever. I wouldn't expect them to send out a "class is full" email until they're confident they won't be calling anymore alternates.

I mean it was several years ago that I was sitting on the list and it was IS so it's a bit different, but I didn't get a "class is full (and we won't be calling other alternates)" email until late August that year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted last year (like in the 100s) and received a class-is-full email on August 8th— keep on keeping on y’all, I know the waitlist game is excruciating

I doubt it, because they likely anticipate movement later in the summer. Just because the class is full right now doesn't mean people won't be dropping their seats to attend other schools or whatever. I wouldn't expect them to send out a "class is full" email until they're confident they won't be calling anymore alternates.

I mean it was several years ago that I was sitting on the list and it was IS so it's a bit different, but I didn't get a "class is full (and we won't be calling other alternates)" email until late August that year.
Ahh ok that makes sense. Trying to be patient but it’s not working lol

So excited! We are just leaving MI after putting an offer in on a house! Hopefully it goes through. :happy:

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email that the class is filled for 2023 and that they will call/email if a student should withdrawal. The survey to remain on the waitlist has to be filled out and submitted by the 2nd.

• Sad
Just got an email that the class is filled for 2023 and that they will call/email if a student should withdrawal. The survey to remain on the waitlist has to be filled out and submitted by the 2nd.

Welp... this is a bummer. :sorry:

Do any current students know the distance limitations to the school? Like how many minutes is the farthest that can you commute?
My husband is house hunting with a realtor this week and they looked at house we liked that is 25 minutes away in Mason.

I don't think any spot in Mason is 25 minutes away. I'm 10 miles south of Mason in Rives Junction, right off 127, and it takes me 20-25 minutes to get to MSU. I have no intention on moving. I like my peaceful country address. Plus, I have too many Anatolians and goats to live in a city. :laugh:

I still feel that anxious nag to ask what my position is on the waitlist even though I know the class is full... I feel like I’m in denial that I’ll probably have to reapply this next cycle... or maybe it’s some residual hope?
In any event, I just want to thank you guys for being a supportive bunch this cycle! :love:

Reactions: 3 users
I still feel that anxious nag to ask what my position is on the waitlist even though I know the class is full... I feel like I’m in denial that I’ll probably have to reapply this next cycle... or maybe it’s some residual hope?
In any event, I just want to thank you guys for being a supportive bunch this cycle! :love:
I feel the same and I’m still gonna ask tomorrow too lol

Do it!! Let us know if any changes, last time I asked it took 5 days for a response lol
Really??? They always responded same day for me. I really hope it doesn’t take 5 days lol

Saw this on pre-med subreddit. Reminded me of y'all. Sending good vibes!
e342afc.jpeg

• Haha
Anyone hear from admissions today?? Still no reply on my end :(

Anyone hear from admissions today?? Still no reply on my end :(
No one was around the school today at all. The class of 2019 graduated today, so the school and hospital were ghost towns.

But we haven’t gotten an update since way before then anyway

But we haven’t gotten an update since way before then anyway
It’s hard, but really since the school sent out an email the class is full... everyone should really plan to have to reapply this year. Hopefully there is still movement and some of you get pulled off, but if they’ve sent out that email... would probably be best to not keep emailing the school :/

Also don’t forget, 2019 just graduated, they’re gearing up for a new application cycle, and getting things ready for 2023 to start in the fall. The office is going to be busy and telling spots on the waitlist their number when they’ve said the class is full isn’t going to be a priority sadly :(

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure that I would say that, I'm proof of that
One week of being filled and a whole summer of being filled are two different things. Less likely to be a bunch of movement 1 week after filling the class vs multiple little movements throughout the summer.

Reactions: 3 users
I guess it’s just a little frustrating because they told us to email them a certain date for an update and they’ve gone silent. Even thought the “class is full” I like to remain optimistic but just wanna know where I am at also knowing the class does still move some.

One week of being filled and a whole summer of being filled are two different things. Less likely to be a bunch of movement 1 week after filling the class vs multiple little movements throughout the summer.
This.

Unfortunately, at this point, it’s better to treat it as a rejection and work towards improving your application for the next cycle. If you do wind up getting called off of the waitlist during the summer, then great! If not, then at least you didn’t waste your time and were productive in strengthening your application if you choose to try again.

Yes I understand that, you can't expect much movement over one week now, I agree but I was disagreeing with the broad statement. It will move a handful of spots throughout the whole summer. Its hard bring on the waitlist.
Yeah. Which is what I was saying. You are not likely to move much within ONE WEEK after filling. I didn’t say anything about the potential for movement during the summer. I said since they last asked. Stop bothering the school a week after the class is filled to see if more people dropped and start working on reapplying in case you need to. You don’t have to submit until closer to the deadline, but do something more productive with your time instead of freaking out and worrying about this waitlist when you could be preparing for next cycle so you don’t have to rush through it all last minute.
I know what being on the waitlist is like. I was waitlists for two cycles.

Question for current MSU students, What items that are needed for class can we get at Michigan, and which items would be better to get online beforehand? I'm specifically thinking about dissecting kits, lab coats, etc. . .

Question for current MSU students, What items that are needed for class can we get at Michigan, and which items would be better to get online beforehand? I'm specifically thinking about dissecting kits, lab coats, etc. . .
I bought almost all my stuff for less online vs the class sale, though your purchase is part of c/o 2022 fundraising :shrug:

Kinda up to you. I bought almost all my stuff through the summer sale because I liked the one-stop shop aspect but I'm sure most of it can be bought cheaper if you prefer.
The scrubs (unless they've changed them) lack pockets though and I find this sad so I have different scrubs now and would have just bought different scrubs to begin with had I known about the lack of pockets.

I bought almost all my stuff for less online vs the class sale, though your purchase is part of c/o 2022 fundraising :shrug:
Thank you, do you have a recommendation on which dissection kit would be best?

Kinda up to you. I bought almost all my stuff through the summer sale because I liked the one-stop shop aspect but I'm sure most of it can be bought cheaper if you prefer.
The scrubs (unless they've changed them) lack pockets though and I find this sad so I have different scrubs now and would have just bought different scrubs to begin with had I known about the lack of pockets.

Thank you, yes I'm particular with the scrubs that I like so I'll probably just get those online.

Thank you, do you have a recommendation on which dissection kit would be best?

Thank you, yes I'm particular with the scrubs that I like so I'll probably just get those online.
I bought my dissection kit in the summer sale cuz it was pretty cheap either way. There are many similar ones online too. Make sure you have a #4 and #3 scalpel handle, blades to match (size 10 and 22, 5-10 each), blunt scissors, thumb forceps, rat tooth forceps, probe, +/- tiny pointy scissors if you wanna be super cool ( not part of the kit). There are a couple of other instruments in the kit but I can't remember them cuz I didn't use them. In your group of 4, only two of you likely will dirty instruments each day so I honestly forgot to bring mine to lab sometimes.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I would say that, I'm proof of that
To be fair, it won't change much. If you are within the top 5-10, there's a chance. But outside of that is very unlikely.

To give some hope, I was just told I am number 11 (from number 22 at the last update) on the waitlist.

To give some hope, I was just told I am number 11 (from number 22 at the last update) on the waitlist.
Interesting. I supposedly moved from 20 to 13... curious to know if they miscommunicated with one of us.

Interesting. I supposedly moved from 20 to 13... curious to know if they miscommunicated with one of us.
Hmm, I’m not sure but it looks like you started 78 and I started 76 so the numbers should make sense now. Maybe they messed something up in the updates, I’m sure they’re busy right now.