Michigan State University c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Greetings friends!

Gail (45lb loving sweet baby pitbull) may need a babysitter over Thanksgiving. Do you or anyone you know want a pet sitting job if you're sticking around Lansing for the holiday? She'd love it if you could take her into your home (as long as you don't have pets, which I realize is a longshot), but you could also come to our place and hang out with her. She comes with a crate, food, $35/day (above market rate for boarding around Lansing; negotiable if necessary), and lots and lots of love. Please message me if interested or if you know someone who might be!

View attachment 282309 View attachment 282310 View attachment 282311 View attachment 282312

She will make faces at you, stare at you, sleep with you, accompany you to the bathroom, and love you as mostly shown in the photos above.
Wish I could, but I've got two doggos in my house. She's SO cute!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Greetings friends!

Gail (45lb loving sweet baby pitbull) may need a babysitter over Thanksgiving. Do you or anyone you know want a pet sitting job if you're sticking around Lansing for the holiday? She'd love it if you could take her into your home (as long as you don't have pets, which I realize is a longshot), but you could also come to our place and hang out with her. She comes with a crate, food, $35/day (above market rate for boarding around Lansing; negotiable if necessary), and lots and lots of love. Please message me if interested or if you know someone who might be!

View attachment 282309 View attachment 282310 View attachment 282311 View attachment 282312

She will make faces at you, stare at you, sleep with you, accompany you to the bathroom, and love you as mostly shown in the photos above.
I can :) I'll be around for thanksgiving. I can come by and take her out and feed her throughout the time you are gone. Unfortunately, I have a dog so I won't be able to keep her at my place.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I was curious if anyone from the c/o 2023 wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts about the new curriculum? Also curious as to the structure, testing, hands on experience in the first 2 years, etc. Thank you! (Love, a prospective c/o 2024 IS applicant who is mindlessly browsing this forum at 4 am).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was curious if anyone from the c/o 2023 wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts about the new curriculum? Also curious as to the structure, testing, hands on experience in the first 2 years, etc. Thank you! (Love, a prospective c/o 2024 IS applicant who is mindlessly browsing this forum at 4 am).

I came from an all didactic undergrad so I had quite an adjustment at first. But so far I really enjoy the curriculum. It’s not as overwhelming as I thought vet school would be, but I feel like I’m learning a lot still. We spend about half our time in the class room, and half in labs/clinical skills. We only take one course at a time which breaks stuff up. My typical day at school is 8-12. Some days it may be longer depending on the class we are in.

As for structure, it’s one class at a time. For example I am in Cutaneous System 1 right now. Classes are either 2 or 3 weeks depending on whether they are 2 or 3 credits. We have a midterm half way through, and a final exam at the end. Almost everyday we have some form of hands on clinical skills or labs (anatomy lab, dermatological exams, or suturing for this class). Exams are all on our computers and are multiple choice. We do have pass/fail clinical skills testing too. We also do a lot of case studies to apply our knowledge and help us learn.

Reactions: 2 users
My experience is similar to Mo's, but I'm in section 2 so I'm usually at the school from 10-3 or 5.
I personally love the crap out of this curriculum! I have never done anything like this before, and I'm really enjoying it. (I have heard some people don't like it at all, so to each their own).
Day 6 we were handling live dogs and cats, and Day 7 we handled cows and horses!
You spend about 18 to 20 hours on average at the college in classes or labs, and usually spend the same amount of time doing prep work or studying at home.
Most courses are only 2-3 weeks long, but the are about 3 courses that are only 1 credit that meet only a handful of times per month and span most of the semester. These are more self and team building type courses.
We do usually have pre-class quizzes, and some (usually the 1 credit courses) may have simple assignments for you to submit before or after class (by yourself or as group projects).
Exams are basically weekly, and so far, at least for me, have not been insane or long at all.
I personally have gotten an awesome amount of experiences through clubs! I've taken heart rates on horses at an endurance race, shadowed in the Large Animal Clinic and attended large animal rounds, palpated cows for the first time, learned about cow distocias, been to some really cool lectures, and do much more. I'm doing way more than I thought I'd ever get to!

If you have any more questions feel free to message me! (First year IS)

and GOOD LUCK!!

I personally have gotten an awesome amount of experiences through clubs! I've taken heart rates on horses at an endurance race, shadowed in the Large Animal Clinic and attended large animal rounds, palpated cows for the first time, learned about cow distocias, been to some really cool lectures, and do much more. I'm doing way more than I thought I'd ever get to!

I second this. I am honestly shocked at how much opportunity we have to be in the actual hospital working with doctors, residents, and nurses. We have on-call positions as surgery assistants and large animal emergency/surgery. We also can pretty much go shadow or go to rounds anytime we want as long as we are in uniform.

I came from an all didactic undergrad so I had quite an adjustment at first. But so far I really enjoy the curriculum. It’s not as overwhelming as I thought vet school would be, but I feel like I’m learning a lot still. We spend about half our time in the class room, and half in labs/clinical skills. We only take one course at a time which breaks stuff up. My typical day at school is 8-12. Some days it may be longer depending on the class we are in.

As for structure, it’s one class at a time. For example I am in Cutaneous System 1 right now. Classes are either 2 or 3 weeks depending on whether they are 2 or 3 credits. We have a midterm half way through, and a final exam at the end. Almost everyday we have some form of hands on clinical skills or labs (anatomy lab, dermatological exams, or suturing for this class). Exams are all on our computers and are multiple choice. We do have pass/fail clinical skills testing too. We also do a lot of case studies to apply our knowledge and help us learn.

My experience is similar to Mo's, but I'm in section 2 so I'm usually at the school from 10-3 or 5.
I personally love the crap out of this curriculum! I have never done anything like this before, and I'm really enjoying it. (I have heard some people don't like it at all, so to each their own).
Day 6 we were handling live dogs and cats, and Day 7 we handled cows and horses!
You spend about 18 to 20 hours on average at the college in classes or labs, and usually spend the same amount of time doing prep work or studying at home.
Most courses are only 2-3 weeks long, but the are about 3 courses that are only 1 credit that meet only a handful of times per month and span most of the semester. These are more self and team building type courses.
We do usually have pre-class quizzes, and some (usually the 1 credit courses) may have simple assignments for you to submit before or after class (by yourself or as group projects).
Exams are basically weekly, and so far, at least for me, have not been insane or long at all.

If you have any more questions feel free to message me! (First year IS)

and GOOD LUCK!!

Thank you both so much for your responses, I really appreciate it! These were exactly the experiences I was hoping to hear about. It sounds like the new curriculum change has been a really positive experience and I'm happy to hear that more hands on learning has been incorporated earlier on. I heard a little bit about the structure as far as exams and classes go but it's really nice to hear your in depth opinions. I also really like that they're teaching classes one at a time to help not feel so overwhelmed with a million different things at once, I'm sure this helps for knowledge retention as well. I also love hearing that a lot of hands on experience is available in clubs and that additional learning is available if you have the time and want to participate, it's nice to hear that these opportunities are welcomed by others. This makes me feel really excited about hopefully being part of the class of 2024, hopefully you guys will be hearing from me in a few months ;). Thank you both again so much!

Reactions: 2 users
To any current students.

I’ve been accepted(IS) to MSU but am having a hard time deciding if it’s the school I want to be at. During my interview day this yr, there was nothing that really drew me in.. other than the fact that it’d be thousands of dollars cheaper than my OOS choice and the themed houses are a cool too.

I haven’t been able to find much detail online about the extracurricular activities which is a big factor for me. Things like International study opportunities: What countries have been traveled to? Do student have the opportunity to pick a place and create their own trip if it hasnt been traveled to before?

The type speaking forums the school hosts: Who have been some past guest speakers at the college? What are some fun events hosted by the college to keep students engaged.
Lastly, the clubs they have: VOICE, how are they active on campus? What are some initiatives and/or events at MSU to address diversity and inclusiveness?
Is there a club for Laboratory animal medicine? What type of activities do they do?

Ik I’m asking a lot but I just want to be sure I’m making the best choice for myself. Thanks in advance.

To any current students.
Lastly, the clubs they have: VOICE, how are they active on campus? What are some initiatives and/or events at MSU to address diversity and inclusiveness?
Is there a club for Laboratory animal medicine? What type of activities do they do?

Ik I’m asking a lot but I just want to be sure I’m making the best choice for myself. Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure if there is a lab animal club and I don't see it listed. I did go to a talk about lab animal med last year but don't remember who sponsored it.

I am the pramaya house captain so obviously am I big fan of the house system we do tons of big and small events. We did escape rooms, some fitness classes weekly, crafts, food, and at the end of the year we do a week long house cup final events.

Dental club has had a radiology wet lab, and are having one on extractions soon too, along with many chats.

Voice is kind of active and there have been several diversity lectures, one coming up.

There are a ton of other clubs that I don't have time or interest to go to.

One health does a zombie apocalypse tag game every year

There's a running club, a hiking club, a music/talent competition

I'm not sure if there is a lab animal club and I don't see it listed. I did go to a talk about lab animal med last year but don't remember who sponsored it.

I am the pramaya house captain so obviously am I big fan of the house system we do tons of big and small events. We did escape rooms, some fitness classes weekly, crafts, food, and at the end of the year we do a week long house cup final events.

Dental club has had a radiology wet lab, and are having one on extractions soon too, along with many chats.

Voice is kind of active and there have been several diversity lectures, one coming up.

There are a ton of other clubs that I don't have time or interest to go to.

One health does a zombie apocalypse tag game every year

There's a running club, a hiking club, a music/talent competition
Thank you.

To any current students.

I’ve been accepted(IS) to MSU but am having a hard time deciding if it’s the school I want to be at. During my interview day this yr, there was nothing that really drew me in.. other than the fact that it’d be thousands of dollars cheaper than my OOS choice and the themed houses are a cool too.

I haven’t been able to find much detail online about the extracurricular activities which is a big factor for me. Things like International study opportunities: What countries have been traveled to? Do student have the opportunity to pick a place and create their own trip if it hasnt been traveled to before?

The type speaking forums the school hosts: Who have been some past guest speakers at the college? What are some fun events hosted by the college to keep students engaged.

Hiya! Current first year here, also in state. I was in a similar boat as you when I interviewed. Not super impressed by the whole interview day and their spiel. What really drew me in the end was two big things. 1: tuition. Student debt is no joke, and if you already have undergrad debt adding on an extra 250k+ is nothing to laugh at. I couldn’t justify adding extra debt when I’d be getting the same education/degree for less money even if I wasn’t as wowed by the school. 2: the curriculum. For me, not having to be in class from 8-5 M-F is HUGE for my wellness. Also, no finals week every semester. The systems courses make the material much more manageable, and professors have indicated that we seem to retain it better than the legacy curriculum. It was a huge selling point for me, and I love it so much. No, the curriculum is not perfect. It is improving and evolving every year, and that can be frustrating. But for me, it works really well. And it’ll be even better for the class of 2024.

For international opportunities, I have not participated in any so far. I know some classmates that have traveled to Colombia, Nepal, various countries in Latin America, and even some in South America. Some are offered by the school, some are offered by external companies. These are opportunities you will likely have to seek out on your own.

VOICE: to be honest, I haven’t heard much from them since orientation. They do a big bit during orientation on being conscientious of your classmates and their differences, and it was super impactful for our class.

Clubs: I don’t know of any lab animal clubs, but there are a TON of summer opportunities to take advantage of all over the country. Also, if you’re interested in starting a lab animal medicine club, you can totally do that! It’s not too difficult to start a club, and it’s an awesome resume builder. Each club is in charge of getting their own speakers and wet labs set up. I’ve done a spay/neuter barn cat lab, an x-ray wet lab, dental radiology wet lab, liver biopsies on live cattle, and so much more. There is a lot available, you just have to take advantage of external opportunities.

Hiya! Current first year here, also in state. I was in a similar boat as you when I interviewed. Not super impressed by the whole interview day and their spiel. What really drew me in the end was two big things. 1: tuition. Student debt is no joke, and if you already have undergrad debt adding on an extra 250k+ is nothing to laugh at. I couldn’t justify adding extra debt when I’d be getting the same education/degree for less money even if I wasn’t as wowed by the school. 2: the curriculum. For me, not having to be in class from 8-5 M-F is HUGE for my wellness. Also, no finals week every semester. The systems courses make the material much more manageable, and professors have indicated that we seem to retain it better than the legacy curriculum. It was a huge selling point for me, and I love it so much. No, the curriculum is not perfect. It is improving and evolving every year, and that can be frustrating. But for me, it works really well. And it’ll be even better for the class of 2024.

For international opportunities, I have not participated in any so far. I know some classmates that have traveled to Colombia, Nepal, various countries in Latin America, and even some in South America. Some are offered by the school, some are offered by external companies. These are opportunities you will likely have to seek out on your own.

VOICE: to be honest, I haven’t heard much from them since orientation. They do a big bit during orientation on being conscientious of your classmates and their differences, and it was super impactful for our class.

Clubs: I don’t know of any lab animal clubs, but there are a TON of summer opportunities to take advantage of all over the country. Also, if you’re interested in starting a lab animal medicine club, you can totally do that! It’s not too difficult to start a club, and it’s an awesome resume builder. Each club is in charge of getting their own speakers and wet labs set up. I’ve done a spay/neuter barn cat lab, an x-ray wet lab, dental radiology wet lab, liver biopsies on live cattle, and so much more. There is a lot available, you just have to take advantage of external opportunities.
Thank you. That helps.

What laptop does the class of 2023 use?

Any laptop you want to use. I use a macbook pro, some friends use surface tablets, other people just use ipads.

What laptop does the class of 2023 use?
I switched to an hp spectre and become a 100% digital note taker. There is no specific computer brand requirement; there are spec requirements though (to ensure our exam software and other applications work).

In class, I've seen everything from old school laptops that need to be plugged in to work to brand new MacBooks. From personal stories, I haven't heard great things about Microsoft surface (when issues arise takes forever for them to be resolved because the device has to be sent to Microsoft) and another classmate regrets switching from PC to Apple products.

Hope this helps.

Hi! I'm so excited to join the upcoming class and have a question for the people who have now lived in the area for a bit now. In terms of housing, what was your experience with different managements in town? Which do you recommend? Which would you perform a blood sacrifice to be able to break your lease and get out? I'm looking into Trapper's Cove, Capital Village, Stonecrest Townhomes, and Autumn Ridge, but I'm getting lots of mixed opinions on their public reviews (some stellar, others horrifying) and would like opinions from actual students who may have lived there or heard anything about it. Any opinions on either of these places or other places would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! I'm so excited to join the upcoming class and have a question for the people who have now lived in the area for a bit now. In terms of housing, what was your experience with different managements in town? Which do you recommend? Which would you perform a blood sacrifice to be able to break your lease and get out? I'm looking into Trapper's Cove, Capital Village, Stonecrest Townhomes, and Autumn Ridge, but I'm getting lots of mixed opinions on their public reviews (some stellar, others horrifying) and would like opinions from actual students who may have lived there or heard anything about it. Any opinions on either of these places or other places would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Lived here for undergrad and now for vet med.
Trapper's cove is a decent location, the internet service sucks (additional cost every month, limited in options of speeds, only one provider that is linked in with the leasing company and not comcast or directTV based) and it was described to me from my friend that lived there last year as "pedophile-ville". When I went to tour it, I asked the agent how much minimum income was to rent she replied with "I've never seen an application get denied, so just apply".

I don't know much about Capital Village, Stonecrest Townhome, or Autumn Ridge, they are all located south of where I'm currently located and the dynamic varies block to block. Autumn Ridge just had a shooting a few days ago kind of variance.

During undergrad, I overpaid to stay close to campus (1.3 miles away from the building I frequented) but it was by far the best apartment layout and experience so kind of worth it. It was through the most common management company up here, DTN. They have a mixed bag of reviews but I never had any issues with them. The one major downside to their leases: you are locked in. By that I mean, if you decide you want to move out and have time remaining on your lease, you are required to pay the rent in full until someone takes the lease from you. Also, if you are currently in a lease, when you go to apply at a DTN property you have to provide an official letter of the last date of your current apartment before you'll be approved (had some paperwork juggling to do when I moved up here for undergrad).

At a certain point, you'll get access to a document that has room availability from current or new vet students and if you don't mind living with other people, that may be good resource.

Hope this is helpful!