Michigan State University c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello. I have killed a cactus.
Haha yeah I can’t keep cactus alive to save my life either!! Especially those ones that they sell with the colorful spikey ball on top, they are actually 2 cactus grafted together and are essentially doomed to death 90% of the time... I felt so betrayed when I found out haha

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is seriously my favorite thread right now :laugh:

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the virtual orientation thing on D2L or is it just me lol

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if MSU sends an email out if everyone accepts their seat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the virtual orientation thing on D2L or is it just me lol
Mine isn’t working either, I’m assuming it’s the 24 hour lag, but since it happened over the weekend I’m assuming it will work on Monday.

I asked admissions if the OOS seats were full and they didn’t answer that question lol but I did move from 29 to 22 and they said to check back again on May 3rd!

just got an email from them saying the same thing! good thing because I didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks before emailing again lol

I asked admissions if the OOS seats were full and they didn’t answer that question lol but I did move from 29 to 22 and they said to check back again on May 3rd!
That’s weird I just got my update and I went from 24 to 12. Why would you move 7 and me 12?

That’s weird I just got my update and I went from 24 to 12. Why would you move 7 and me 12?

I moved 7 too. 40 to 33. More people could have dropped between the two of you since you were ahead of her.

Edit: that doesn't really make sense. I don't know lol

Last edited:
I moved 7 too. 40 to 33. More people could have dropped between the two of you since you were ahead of her.
Ohhh that makes sense, I was having a major panic attack that they might have messed up my number.

I heard recently that MSU had the most applications of any school through VMCAS for this cycle. That's wild.

Reactions: 3 users
@Teepster87 are you staying in lansing post-graduation?

Edit: just realized you still have another year to go so you might not know that yet lol

I feel like CSU has had 2000+ in the past couple cycles???
If I remember correctly I was told that they had 3,800 this cycle and 3,600 of them were out of state applicants.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly I was told that they had 3,800 this cycle and 3,600 of them were out of state applicants.
When I was there for my interview we were told ~400 for instate applicants and they interviewed 150. I think but not positive because that was in November lol.

I just looked up how many they had on their 2023 stats and they had 1701. I feel like that just can’t be the most :laugh:
I heard it from the new Dean, who I think got it from admissions themselves. I think it was just slightly north of 3k, but I'll go see if I can find it quickly

@Teepster87 are you staying in lansing post-graduation?

Edit: just realized you still have another year to go so you might not know that yet lol
Teep has military ties so may have to go where assigned post grad?
I doubt I'm staying here once I graduate, but it's not totally up to me. I am a veteran, but a different part of the government will be calling the shots once I graduate. I get to let the USDA know my preferences, but it's ultimately up to them.

For those of you who have been concerned about different movement on the waitlist, it's possible that people have taken themselves off the waitlist. So say #s 1, 2, and 3 get offers from MSU and #'s 35, 38, and 40 take themselves off the list, #4 moves up 3 but #41 moves up 6. I don't know if I explained that well...?

For those of you who have been concerned about different movement on the waitlist, it's possible that people have taken themselves off the waitlist. So say #s 1, 2, and 3 get offers from MSU and #'s 35, 38, and 40 take themselves off the list, #4 moves up 3 but #41 moves up 6. I don't know if I explained that well...?
I think the problem was that someone lower numbered on the list (and closer to getting a seat) moved more spaces than someone who started with a higher number

Reactions: 2 users
interesting that they've already got that made.
I found the source, and it was 2157 applicants.
Yeah it says it’s their initial one so I assume it’ll be updated in August/September

Why would they have less applicants on their initial selection sheet though, if the total number of applicants shouldn't change between when this was published and when it's updated?

Why would they have less applicants on their initial selection sheet though, if the total number of applicants shouldn't change between when this was published and when it's updated?

Maybe the 400 got thrown out for not being complete or something? But that is weird.

Maybe we've uncovered some shenanigans here.
I do know there is sometimes some difference in applications between what's done through VMCAS and who competed the supplemental application. But I'm not sure if they had a supplemental this year.

Maybe we've uncovered some shenanigans here.
I do know there is sometimes some difference in applications between what's done through VMCAS and who competed the supplemental application. But I'm not sure if they had a supplemental this year.

They switched to having the supplemental be a part of VMCAS during the application cycle for 2021 and I'm assuming (someone else would have to confirm) that they have stuck with that.

They switched to having the supplemental be a part of VMCAS during the application cycle for 2021 and I'm assuming (someone else would have to confirm) that they have stuck with that.

Yes, the supplemental was on VMCAS.

Do any current students know the distance limitations to the school? Like how many minutes is the farthest that can you commute?
My husband is house hunting with a realtor this week and they looked at house we liked that is 25 minutes away in Mason.

Do any current students know the distance limitations to the school? Like how many minutes is the farthest that can you commute?
My husband is house hunting with a realtor this week and they looked at house we liked that is 25 minutes away REDACTED FOR PRIVACY.
During clinics you are supposed to be able to get to school in 30 min when on call but thats 4 years from now so who knows

How bad does traffic seem to affect commute time there?
i live about 25 minutes away in a different direction and it's really never that bad of traffic... but I'm previously from Chicago so BIG difference. if your from small town no traffic maybe it will seem bad. It really doesn't seem bad to me AT ALL. My commute can go down to 18-20 minutes if there is NO ONE on the road, but that's not really a big difference in my opinion

My husband is house hunting with a realtor this week and they looked at house we liked that is 25 minutes away in Mason.
I've got classmates in Mason. A few faculty are there too. It's a nice little area, and unless it's out in the sticks, it's probably not an actual 25 minute drive to school

i live about 25 minutes away in a different direction and it's really never that bad of traffic... but I'm previously from Chicago so BIG difference. if your from small town no traffic maybe it will seem bad. It really doesn't seem bad to me AT ALL. My commute can go down to 18-20 minutes if there is NO ONE on the road, but that's not really a big difference in my opinion
I've got classmates in Mason. A few faculty are there too. It's a nice little area, and unless it's out in the sticks, it's probably not an actual 25 minute drive to school

Thanks guys! Houses sell crazy fast in MI so this is a pretty interesting house hunting process haha. Everything we’ve been finding is like 20-25min away and I wanted to make sure that was going to work for us before we jump on something.

Thanks guys! Houses sell crazy fast in MI so this is a pretty interesting house hunting process haha. Everything we’ve been finding is like 20-25min away and I wanted to make sure that was going to work for us before we jump on something.
Yeah it moves fast, especially around here during the summer. Alot of people are moving around while school's out.

Hope you have good luck!