Michigan State University c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ve seen that everyone recommends the Lyme vacc, but are there any other vaccines y’all think I should get for my dog? He’s on heartgard/nexgard year round and is UTD on rabies and DHLPP already.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve seen that everyone recommends the Lyme vacc, but are there any other vaccines y’all think I should get for my dog? He’s on heartgard/nexgard year round and is UTD on rabies and DHLPP already.
My kennel just started requiring influenza, though I had done it previously in Chicago
Yeah there have been cases of influenza in the state (in nearby counties) and a really bad outbreak in Toledo i think a year and a half ago? My vets highly recommend it, especially for dogs who go into any group situation like parks or pet stores or grooming (along with bordetella). Quite a few kennels are starting to require it now

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah there have been cases of influenza in the state (in nearby counties) and a really bad outbreak in Toledo i think a year and a half ago? My vets highly recommend it, especially for dogs who go into any group situation like parks or pet stores or grooming (along with bordetella). Quite a few kennels are starting to require it now
Oh wow thanks for the info! Influenza is basically unheard of in my area so almost none of the clinics here carry the vaccine, I’ll probably have to get it when I bring him up here

Just to let the waitlist people know, I am still #3 since class has been filled. Sarah told me to get another update next Friday

Just to let the waitlist people know, I am still #3 since class has been filled. Sarah told me to get another update next Friday

Darn, I was thinking of writing to you yesterday to ask you if you heard. :oops: You still have almost two months!

Darn, I was thinking of writing to you yesterday to ask you if you heard. :oops: You still have almost two months!
Yeah so there is "some" hope lol but just working on re-applying anyway of course.

Yeah I figured. Did you do a file review with anyone?
Still trying to get dates with them but I know most of them will say my grades which I’ve improved it as much as I can at this point and more diverse experience. Trying to find large animal vets in my area currently as well

Still trying to get dates with them but I know most of them will say my grades which I’ve improved it as much as I can at this point and more diverse experience. Trying to find large animal vets in my area currently as well
I tried to get a file review and I was told that all slots had been filled and they where no longer offering them.

They surprised me a little with what they recommended working on last year, so hopefully they give you some good advice that you can work on.
I thought that for sure working on my grades would be beneficial, but they said that since I made the cut off for file review not to bother. That getting meaningful experiences was more important - could be different now or for you but just what I was told last year.
You didn't get this close for no reason!
(But hopefully you don't have to worry about it and you'll be called off anyway. ;))

Anyone having a hard time contacting admissions through email? It’s been a week and haven’t received a response. I looked online and don’t see a phone number or else I would call. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone having a hard time contacting admissions through email? It’s been a week and haven’t received a response. I looked online and don’t see a phone number or else I would call. Any advice?
They took a long time to respond to me last time about an update. Last time I got in touch with them was 2 weeks ago though

Just got another update today, still #3 so there has been no movement thus far.

Does anyone need a place to live? Need a roommate in a 2 bed 2 bath house 2 miles from school, no dogs though please (I have one)! Please pm me!!

Also, I'm gonna be in town on Monday if anyone wants to meet up!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey any idea when we will get our schedule? Like before or at orientation?

What do you mean? I got my schedule once I enrolled in courses back in April.

Did you just get the thing that shows what classes we are taking, or an actual schedule with times?

Did you just get the thing that shows what classes we are taking, or an actual schedule with times?
Schedule with times and location (same classroom for every class)

I've had fall and spring semesters scheduled in my calendar since I enrolled. (took a screen shot of my calendar because the mobile site on msu didn't screen shot well via mobile) Screenshot_20190728-220750.png

Last edited:
Bummer I won't be living up there till Saturday.
Though I start moving on Thursday!! :soexcited:

I'll actually be there Saturday! And Sunday and Monday. Pushed the trip forward a week so that my mom could come. :laugh:

Good luck with the move! I'll be moving up there the following week after I visit.

I've had fall and spring semesters scheduled in my calendar since I enrolled. (took a screen shot of my calendar because the mobile site on msu didn't screen shot well via mobile)

Might wanna block out your email address there or delete the picture once whoever needs to see it has seen it!

What do you mean? I got my schedule once I enrolled in courses back in April.
Wut? Shoot gotta look into that. I've been sitting around like an idiot waiting for it. Lol Thanks!

I've had fall and spring semesters scheduled in my calendar since I enrolled. (took a screen shot of my calendar because the mobile site on msu didn't screen shot well via mobile)View attachment 273997

Did they send you this schedule? I was under the impression that the new curriculum was one systems class at a time and this lists multiple in the same week.

Did they send you this schedule? I was under the impression that the new curriculum was one systems class at a time and this lists multiple in the same week.
Yeah, this is correct. That schedule is probably based on something that's outdated. The registrar's office doesn't like change very much

Reactions: 1 users
Send me it? No, it is just the one that gets generated. As teepster87 said, it's probably the registrars office not liking change. Undergrad courses at MSU don't run like our curriculum so the registration/scheduling process probably doesn't understand what to do if the courses were displayed in the correct way for us. I'm guessing it'll be clarified come orientation. :)

Send me it? No, it is just the one that gets generated. As teepster87 said, it's probably the registrars office not liking change. Undergrad courses at MSU don't run like our curriculum so the registration/scheduling process probably doesn't understand what to do if the courses were displayed in the correct way for us. I'm guessing it'll be clarified come orientation. :)
Yeah but I think finny was saying it’s likely not the actual schedule with times like you were originally saying.
Schedule with times and location (same classroom for every class)
I think they just had to pick random times for registration purposes because their system likely doesn’t allow vetmed to schedule a bunch of 3 week classes. It also has two whole days of no classes on that schedule you posted and I don’t buy that part for a second :rofl:

That's not what your schedule will look like. You'll get it at the beginning of August hopefully. (That's when they told us we would get ours)

I'll actually be there Saturday! And Sunday and Monday. Pushed the trip forward a week so that my mom could come. :laugh:

Good luck with the move! I'll be moving up there the following week after I visit.

I totally would want to meet up, but we will be in Alberta for vacation starting Thursday :(

Last edited:
Does anyone know the cutoff for when they would not take anyone else off waitlist?

My former lab partner (who had since ascended into a dual dvm/PhD) was pulled off in the middle of July a few years back. Iirc there was an IS student pulled like 2 weeks before classes began last year

Sorry if neither of those cases build hope, but hopefully you're working on strengthening your application for this cycle :)

I have no idea, but you should move to Lansing with me and my pup so we can reapply as in-staters QUOTE]

Is it really possible to apply as instate? How long do you have to live there to become a resident?

Is it really possible to apply as instate? How long do you have to live there to become a resident?

per registrar, to get in-state tuition, you have to live in MI for at least 12 months prior to the first day of classes. that's why i'm in somewhat of a rush. there are additional criteria but that is it in a nutshell. you can't be enrolled in any MI schools during that time. re: applying as instate, i'm not 100% as no one has gotten back to me with that information, but I think they may consider me an in-state applicant simply because I will supply a michigan permanent address (wherever i'm moving) on my application. again, not 100% on that part

per registrar, to get in-state tuition, you have to live in MI for at least 12 months prior to the first day of classes. that's why i'm in somewhat of a rush. there are additional criteria but that is it in a nutshell. you can't be enrolled in any MI schools during that time. re: applying as instate, i'm not 100% as no one has gotten back to me with that information, but I think they may consider me an in-state applicant simply because I will supply a michigan permanent address (wherever i'm moving) on my application. again, not 100% on that part

Oh interesting! If you don’t mind can you keep me posted?

Yeah I also spoke to them about this because my husband has been working in MI for 2 years. They said if I just would have used a Michigan address for my original application I would have received IS tuition in this case. On the website it said 12 months of residency and employment in Michigan.

Yeah I also spoke to them about this because my husband has been working in MI for 2 years. They said if I just would have used a Michigan address for my original application I would have received IS tuition in this case. On the website it said 12 months of residency and employment in Michigan.
Have you talked to the registrar's office and not just the vet school admissions people?

You could probably still apply for in-state tuition via Registrar.

You could probably still apply for in-state tuition via Registrar.

Have you talked to the registrar's office and not just the vet school admissions people?

Yes I did. We went through a month long process to change the tuition but I was denied. My husband was living out of hotels while working here, so I used my permanent address in PA. They said if I would have had an actual permanent address up here on my app then I would have gotten IS tuition. It was kind of a weird situation. We didn’t actually purchase our house until a few months ago.

Yes I did. We went through a month long process to change the tuition but I was denied. My husband was living out of hotels while working here, so I used my permanent address in PA. They said if I would have had an actual permanent address up here on my app then I would have gotten IS tuition. It was kind of a weird situation. We didn’t actually purchase our house until a few months ago.

It seems like they're pretty strict. Sorry to hear that, that's pretty lame.

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear you were denied. I was denied too. The registrar is RUTHLESS with out-of-state vs in-state and changing your status. I ran into a similar, but different problem. I am pretty sure Dr. Abreau is working on vet students getting in-state after one year living in Michigan, which would take a load off of so many student's backs.

Does anyone know the cutoff for when they would not take anyone else off waitlist?
Last year (I'm class of 2022), we were in the first week I believe and someone got pulled off the waitlist and brought into our class. There is hope, it can happen at any time for any reason.

Greetings friends!

Gail (45lb loving sweet baby pitbull) may need a babysitter over Thanksgiving. Do you or anyone you know want a pet sitting job if you're sticking around Lansing for the holiday? She'd love it if you could take her into your home (as long as you don't have pets, which I realize is a longshot), but you could also come to our place and hang out with her. She comes with a crate, food, $35/day (above market rate for boarding around Lansing; negotiable if necessary), and lots and lots of love. Please message me if interested or if you know someone who might be!

Snapchat-918885480.jpg
Snapchat-355184121.jpg
20190930_195533.jpg
20190917_114504.jpg

She will make faces at you, stare at you, sleep with you, accompany you to the bathroom, and love you as mostly shown in the photos above.

• Love