MCW 2011 part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have t mobile...its so so ...dont get any signal at school and weak signal in my apt. If you can avoid it ...do so

Members don't see this ad.

I can see the argument that things would be a little better if the school went to purpose-bred lab dogs, instead of from a random-source dealer. Such dogs, unfortunately, cost something like $2,000 each. I don't know how much the random-source dogs cost, but it's a LOT less than that. I can't see the school making that expensive a change, knowing they'd still be faced with protesters with their cute puppies and billboards every year.

I agree that it would be better to use purpose-bred dogs. I've always wondered where our tuition dollars go. I think they would be well spent in this manner.

For me the comparison of the lab with clinical rotations is less valid. Patients actually need to be treated and are already ill and have consented to be visited by medical students. Informed consent is not really an option for a dog. I agree that you can't learn everything from a simulation that you can from a live lab, but would argue that the life experience you gain from a lab, and the hands-on experience of setting up the lab, is not the main topic of the physiology course. It may make you a more informed and well-rounded medical student, but I doubt that ten years from now it will be possible to distinguish those of us who did the dog lab from those who didn't. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to distinguish people who did or didn't do clinical rotations.

I stand by my assessment. While you learn a lot during the clinical years, there are days when it wouldn't matter if you were there or not. I think the place where you really learn medicine is in residency, and everything prior to that is preparation.

But you are right, you won't be able to tell the difference in the end. I think we just need different pathways to get there.

DON! I miss seeing you... where will you be next month?

Members don't see this ad :)
DON! I miss seeing you... where will you be next month?

I'm going to be at the VA (again) for psych. I'll have spent about 25% of my JMS career there. If they had OB, I'm sure I'd get sent there for that too.

How about you?

Outpatient med who knows where... somewhere that uses Epic. Woohoo more Epic training. I'm a pro.

I saw Don today! =)

I actually got to talk to 3 people today... today wasn't as boring as yesterday at school (talked to Don the longest though).

Yay... Ashers likes not feeling like a total hermit.

Sorry I had to run off. It's poor form to show up late for clinic with the Vice Chair of the department.

I saw Ashers today! But I didn't say hi... /stalker

...and Kolesari will be in a bad mood. Don't worry, I was 3 rows behind you and I couldn't hardly hear it. The rest of the class probably had no idea what he was talking about.

OOOOH! One of my friends was telling me about that when someone's phone went off, and Kolesari was in a bad mood, and how she felt so bad for that person.

OOOOH! One of my friends was telling me about that when someone's phone went off, and Kolesari was in a bad mood, and how she felt so bad for that person.

I actually wasn't that upset about Kolesari's reaction. He told us on the first day of class to leave our phones at home, and here I was rummaging around in my backpack for this stupid thing. It's not like he yelled at me or called me an idiot, or anything. I've had bosses who REALLY knew how to go off on a person. I actually had a boss ask me once if I was ready to get my ass chewed. I said, "No. If there's something wrong, tell me what it is, and I'll fix it. There's no reason to yell at me," and in the end it turned out whatever he wanted to yell at me for wasn't my fault in the first place. Kolesari was pretty mild, considering.

...and Kolesari will be in a bad mood. Don't worry, I was 3 rows behind you and I couldn't hardly hear it. The rest of the class probably had no idea what he was talking about.

Mostly people wanted to know who my carrier was. They were disappointed to learn all I could get indoors was ringing followed by an instant dropped call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I actually have a school-related question. I'm about to have to switch over to school insurance...anybody with any of the 3 plans they offer...HMO, PPO, or Coverage First PPO 3000 have anything overly good or bad to say about any of them?

Also, if I can get a headcount of current students to see which plan they have, that would rock my socks too.

As for the search function, Gimlet. Forget it. I'm lazy and you all want to talk to me anyway.

Thanks guys! I'll give you all complementary hugs and kisses later.

Okay, I actually have a school-related question. I'm about to have to switch over to school insurance...anybody with any of the 3 plans they offer...HMO, PPO, or Coverage First PPO 3000 have anything overly good or bad to say about any of them?

Also, if I can get a headcount of current students to see which plan they have, that would rock my socks too.

As for the search function, Gimlet. Forget it. I'm lazy and you all want to talk to me anyway.

HMO -- so far any radiology/labs things have been free. Any doctors visit is a $10 copay, and I saw a few things on my humana online for >$2000 which were covered 100%, so I'm not payin' for them. Though, the new thing for $14,000 which is new today hasn't gone through. I hope I'm not paying for that.

HMO -- so far any radiology/labs things have been free. Any doctors visit is a $10 copay, and I saw a few things on my humana online for >$2000 which were covered 100%, so I'm not payin' for them. Though, the new thing for $14,000 which is new today hasn't gone through. I hope I'm not paying for that.

if you can't afford it let me know and SEMA will team together with OSIG for a "Save Ashers" bake sale.

I have the HMO. $10 copay, everything has been fine. I don't travel much so don't need the PPO. $50 copay for ER visits (freakin' pneumonia! freakin' Humana triage nurse makin' me go to the ER!) but urgent care is still just $10. Prescription drugs are tiered and even many generics are on the second tier, not the cheapie tier, but that's common these days.

I have the HMO. $10 copay, everything has been fine. I don't travel much so don't need the PPO. $50 copay for ER visits (freakin' pneumonia! freakin' Humana triage nurse makin' me go to the ER!) but urgent care is still just $10. Prescription drugs are tiered and even many generics are on the second tier, not the cheapie tier, but that's common these days.

ooooh... i haven't gotten the bill for the ER copay yet. Radiology made me go there.

ooooh... i haven't gotten the bill for the ER copay yet. Radiology made me go there.

ER co-pay is waived if you are admitted, per my paperwork here.

I'm probably gonna go with the HMO I think. Seems to be the least out of pocket expenses.

ER co-pay is waived if you are admitted, per my paperwork here.

I'm probably gonna go with the HMO I think. Seems to be the least out of pocket expenses.

THere is a lot less out of pocket, UNLESS you have the lack of foresight to become very ill out of network.

Meh, I have the PPO and I had strep throat on Christmas (in New Jersey) and my ER visit cost a wonderful $150. Piles of crap.

Meh, I have the PPO and I had strep throat on Christmas (in New Jersey) and my ER visit cost a wonderful $150. Piles of crap.

make sure you get admitted next time. swallow a bunch of antifreeze right before going in. say it was an accident and you thought it was Hi-C ecto-cooler.

make sure you get admitted next time. swallow a bunch of antifreeze right before going in. say it was an accident and you thought it was Hi-C ecto-cooler.

Wait, how high is the stop-loss on the PPO? This may be bad advice.

Whereas drinking antifreeze to reduce your co-pay would normally be GOOD advice.

Um.

Quick question...What does orientation weak consist of?

Quick question...What does orientation week consist of?

CPR training, a lot of listening to people talk about classes, ummm... trips to the zoo or art museum if you so choose to participate in those. There's social stuff at night. Tours of the school (led by M2s and the occasional M3 -- the M2/M3 combo tours are awesome btw -- depending on my schedule, I'd like to help with tours -- I'll either be ending psych or starting OB/Gyn), lectures on financial aid, picking up your white coat, organization fair part 1 (part 2 is shortly after school starts -- as long as they stick with that next year). The parents' orientation and white coat ceremony is on Friday.

It's actually a really exhausting week. Especially if you just moved into your apartment and are spending the evenings trying to get everything set up.

Helping with orientation is super fun, especially as a third year. Except it makes you feel old.

I helped with blood pressure training in August... that was pretty fabulous. I forgot how stressful that was. Someone actually asked me if you could get kicked out of school if you couldn't take someone's pressure. And last year, one of the current M-2s asked me if, after the chest tube demonstration in anatomy, you would be expected to know how to put one in. I really did laugh at loud. *reminisce*

And yep, I'm on call again. Keep me entertained, kids.

it's official!! x-ray shows stress fracture of the distal portion of the second metatarsal. she prescribed me a "post-op boot" thing i get to wear for a month now. yay.

it's official!! x-ray shows stress fracture of the distal portion of the second metatarsal. she prescribed me a "post-op boot" thing i get to wear for a month now. yay.

Other than your correct self-diagnosis, where is the yay?

Oh, wait, I know! It's a free "get out of exercise free" card, isn't it?

does anybody have or know how to quickly get a list of providers for each of the plans through Humana?

does anybody have or know how to quickly get a list of providers for each of the plans through Humana?

Humana.com, then you choose our plan, which is (someone help me here), then you go through each network....okay, it's not quick.

I have my reference book still... if you're in MKE.

But, I also use Humana.com, sign up for a user name, and it should work, I just haven't done that. For anything ortho, I kinda get myself referred through my PI from the summer.

Oh, if you want/need to go to a non-MCW orthopod, I know someone in West Allis (a guy who was a couple years ahead of my dad). This is assuming this is for your foot. Hopefully it heals, like my stress fracture didn't.

I have my reference book still... if you're in MKE.

But, I also use Humana.com, sign up for a user name, and it should work, I just haven't done that. For anything ortho, I kinda get myself referred through my PI from the summer.

Oh, if you want/need to go to a non-MCW orthopod, I know someone in West Allis (a guy who was a couple years ahead of my dad). This is assuming this is for your foot. Hopefully it heals, like my stress fracture didn't.

i'll give the post-op boot a while to see if the pain goes away, then i'll get another xray with my PCP and see what happens...now why the hell didn't I get a handicap parking tag???

i'll give the post-op boot a while to see if the pain goes away, then i'll get another xray with my PCP and see what happens...now why the hell didn't I get a handicap parking tag???

Did they offer you one? I never got one for my stress fx. I didn't even get one after I had surgery. Stupid orthopods.

Helping with orientation is super fun, especially as a third year. Except it makes you feel old.

I'll probably try to do it again this year, 'cause I had such a great time last year. :thumbup:

Did they offer you one? I never got one for my stress fx. I didn't even get one after I had surgery. Stupid orthopods.

genius me never asked. suppose I still could.

You were a much better co-tour guide than the guy from my class who I can rarely remember his name who led tours the day before with me.

Thanks!

That being said, there is nothing new being learned in the dog lab. There were a few concepts introduced that were not covered in lecture or Dr. Greene's computer simulation, but the vast majority of it was a rehash of material already learned. An animal should not be killed just so that I can review material I have already learned. What is being learned in the lab is not going to contribute to higher grades in physio, higher board scores, or becoming a physician who understands cardiovascular physiology better than a physician who didn't attend a live animal lab.
Hey Jeff, just wondering - do you have any objection to the rabbits, frogs and rats that are killed for the other physiology labs?

what kind of financial aid packages do people at MCW receive? I'm trying to figure out money and other situations.

How much in need based scholarships are received? I qualified as "financially disadvantaged", does anyone know what this means as far as how much of a scholarship I should receive? Any indication would be appreciated

what kind of financial aid packages do people at MCW receive? I'm trying to figure out money and other situations.

How much in need based scholarships are received? I qualified as "financially disadvantaged", does anyone know what this means as far as how much of a scholarship I should receive? Any indication would be appreciated

assuming an (outdated) tuition of 33,370 on my old old old (from 05-06 year) financial award letter, i was offered a total of 44,131. that left the difference to play around with. they budgeted a total of just under 45,000 for a student that year with all the other expenses (they assume you'll have roommates or live in a cardboard box). I think they're a little low on what they budget for living expenses, but if you plan accordingly you should be able to get enough money, depending on what you want to live like. It's hard to live alone unless you have other income from parents, spouse, or illegal drug sales. oops.

(all of that money i was offered came only from the sub and unsub stafford loans...no need based...i have no experience with those, unfortunately)

Warning: Long Post Ahead!

This "Part II" thread seems a lot slower than the 1st, but I've spent a couple days in Milwaukee and Wauwatosa with my dad, doing my own "2nd look" over my spring break b/c I'm quite unsure about my school choice for next year (since I'm OOS). I don't know if any other perspective students will read this, but here are my 2 cents:

Milwaukee is undergoing A LOT of construction. It is kind of difficult maneauvering into the city, but once there, it is fairly easy to get a feel for it...downtown isn't overwhelmingly large. Riverwalk is fun to stroll up and down, and if you get to drive all the way to the lake, there are some gorgeous homes that line the hill; there is also a beautiful long walk through these small sideline parks.

Wauwautosa is a very nice, clean suburb. I lucked out with some really warm weather today (which I know is unusual for the area in March), so perhaps it gave me the opportunity to see everything in a prettier light. Like Milwaukee, it doesn't feel too large, and is sprinkled with some shopping centers here and there, but is mostly residential. The most impressive center by far is Mayfair Mall. Coming from SoCal, I've definitely seen much fancier and more ornate, which Chicago is probably at par with, but Mayfair has very decent stores (JCrew, Banana Republic, Abercrombie, Apple, etc.) a nice movie theater, good restaurants, and much more which can be researched online.

As for the living situation, there are many options...duplexes, rented rooms in homes, or managed apartments. I prefer the latter, and that's mostly what I looked at. From what I visited, I would definitely recommend Serafino Square Luxury Apartments or The Reserve. Both are less than 2 miles to the school, very secure and well-kept (with 24-hr. maintenence service), and highly populated with med students and doctors that work at Froedtert. But there are numerous differences as well (I'm listing any many as I can remember, so I apologize for not covering it all):

Serafino Square:
- Only offers 1 & 2 Bedroom (the 1 Bedroom is essentially the same price as The Reserve, but the 2 Bedroom is on ave. $200 cheaper) Prices can be looked up online...
- Rooms are slightly smaller
- Complex only has 5 buildings and is older (built in the 70's), but the inside of the apartments are very nice, and the grounds are beautifully landscaped
- Lots of greenery and trees within and surrounding the property; the complex is next to a flowing river
- They have a fully furnished guest apartment that family can stay in so as to avoid hotels (I believe for $100 a night)
- All utilities except electric are covered (so heat, water, trash are their responsibility)
- The heated underground garage has one free covered spot for each apartment, and then based on availability, you can pay $25 extra each month to get a second covered spot
- Some apartments have a washer/dryer unit in them, but if you don't want to pay the extra for that, there are communal coin-operated washing machines at the end of each hall (each building looks like a hotel on the inside...long halls with many doors)

The Reserve
-Offers 1-3 bedroom apartments (again, the 2 & 3 bdrm are more expensive than Serafino, but the 1 bdrm is priced nearly the same)
-It is the newest apartment complex built in Wauwautosa (around 2000) and the property is MUCH larger than Serafino
- Gated Community
- Every unit has a washer/dryer inside
- no utilities are covered by them
- no guest apartment
- must pay for covered parking...there is no underground garage, only 1 and 2 car garages...you can pay $125 monthly for a 1 car garage, and $165 montly for a 2 car garage
- The biggest bummer is that as nice as the property is itself, it isn't landscaped with too much greenery, and the developer was pretty shortsighted about situating The Reserve in it's present location; it is in the middle of a huge, noisy industrial zone... huge warehouses, garages, factories, and men constantly crossing the street in their hardhat surround this apartment complex

My dad and I visited the school again, sans tour and pomp, and needless to say, it was just as impressive the 2nd time around; I'm sure I don't have to delve into why for those of you who are considering it.

I think this is about all I can share, but if any of you perspective MCW-ers have questions, I'll try and pick at my memory to feed you more info.:)

Warning: Long Post Ahead!

This "Part II" thread seems a lot slower than the 1st, but I've spent a couple days in Milwaukee and Wauwatosa with my dad, doing my own "2nd look" over my spring break b/c I'm quite unsure about my school choice for next year (since I'm OOS). I don't know if any other perspective students will read this, but here are my 2 cents:

Milwaukee is undergoing A LOT of construction. It is kind of difficult maneauvering into the city, but once there, it is fairly easy to get a feel for it...downtown isn't overwhelmingly large. Riverwalk is fun to stroll up and down, and if you get to drive all the way to the lake, there are some gorgeous homes that line the hill; there is also a beautiful long walk through these small sideline parks.

Wauwautosa is a very nice, clean suburb. I lucked out with some really warm weather today (which I know is unusual for the area in March), so perhaps it gave me the opportunity to see everything in a prettier light. Like Milwaukee, it doesn't feel too large, and is sprinkled with some shopping centers here and there, but is mostly residential. The most impressive center by far is Mayfair Mall. Coming from SoCal, I've definitely seen much fancier and more ornate, which Chicago is probably at par with, but Mayfair has very decent stores (JCrew, Banana Republic, Abercrombie, Apple, etc.) a nice movie theater, good restaurants, and much more which can be researched online.

As for the living situation, there are many options...duplexes, rented rooms in homes, or managed apartments. I prefer the latter, and that's mostly what I looked at. From what I visited, I would definitely recommend Serafino Square Luxury Apartments or The Reserve. Both are less than 2 miles to the school, very secure and well-kept (with 24-hr. maintenence service), and highly populated with med students and doctors that work at Froedtert. But there are numerous differences as well (I'm listing any many as I can remember, so I apologize for not covering it all):

The Reserve
-Offers 1-3 bedroom apartments (again, the 2 & 3 bdrm are more expensive than Serafino, but the 1 bdrm is priced nearly the same)
-It is the newest apartment complex built in Wauwautosa (around 2000) and the property is MUCH larger than Serafino
- Gated Community
- Every unit has a washer/dryer inside
- no utilities are covered by them
- no guest apartment
- must pay for covered parking...there is no underground garage, only 1 and 2 car garages...you can pay $125 monthly for a 1 car garage, and $165 montly for a 2 car garage
- The biggest bummer is that as nice as the property is itself, it isn't landscaped with too much greenery, and the developer was pretty shortsighted about situating The Reserve in it's present location; it is in the middle of a huge, noisy industrial zone... huge warehouses, garages, factories, and men constantly crossing the street in their hardhat surround this apartment complex
I think this is about all I can share, but if any of you perspective MCW-ers have questions, I'll try and pick at my memory to feed you more info.:)

I think you've done more in MKE than I. The Reserve isn't that noisy. I rarely notice when there's a train. The only time it bugs me is when I want to turn left across the tracks. There are also the parks close to it. I biked through a few of them the past few days, not today, I pretended to study.

people should also keep in mind Serafino Square and The Reserve are a tad more pricey and won't fit everyone's budget.

i'm regretting not signing that record contract more and more every day.

I think Amie got her tag from the DMV. At least that's what she was gonna do...

As for all the other chatter I've missed...

I have T-mobile, and it works pretty much everywhere. Works in the school cafeteria, library, and lobby, just not lecture halls. Works outside my apartment, but not inside. I have not heard of any cell service working here. So I have Vonage and forward my cell calls when I'm at home.

I am in full support of the dog lab and value the experience. Perhaps the school could do better about their source, but dogs are going to be put down regardless if they're going to our school or not. I figure the best thing I can do for dogs I've already done: spayed my own dog.

I also get irritated when everyone hypes up the dog lab, but could care less the other animals used, such as rabbits, rats, etc. You don't hear about protests at all the high schools and colleges dissecting cats every year across the country.

The Reserve and Serafino are definitely a stretch w/out a roommate/SO to share the costs. Even Normandy is doing damage to my financial situation because I choose to live alone. So just keep that in mind. I definitely recommend looking for a place w/ heat included. One less thing to worry about, and you'll always be warm. :)

As for all the other chatter I've missed...

I have T-mobile, and it works pretty much everywhere. Works in the school cafeteria, library, and lobby, just not lecture halls. Works outside my apartment, but not inside. I have not heard of any cell service working here. So I have Vonage and forward my cell calls when I'm at home.

I am in full support of the dog lab and value the experience. Perhaps the school could do better about their source, but dogs are going to be put down regardless if they're going to our school or not. I figure the best thing I can do for dogs I've already done: spayed my own dog.

I also get irritated when everyone hypes up the dog lab, but could care less the other animals used, such as rabbits, rats, etc. You don't hear about protests at all the high schools and colleges dissecting cats every year across the country.

The Reserve and Serafino are definitely a stretch w/out a roommate/SO to share the costs. Even Normandy is doing damage to my financial situation because I choose to live alone. So just keep that in mind. I definitely recommend looking for a place w/ heat included. One less thing to worry about, and you'll always be warm. :)

you are a master summarizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.