MCW 2011 part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you can claim that until the cows come home, but in the end YOU were the one with the solar panels we needed.

Um, hello. It's WI and winterish, the sun doesn't shine . It rains and snows. Solar panels are no use.

I don't care how much you said you needed them to charge up your remote controlled fruit chopper. No sun, no solar panels, no use. You knew it was a bad idea to mix paper clips, pop rocks and Pepsi.

Members don't see this ad.

Um, hello. It's WI and winterish, the sun doesn't shine . It rains and snows. Solar panels are no use.

I don't care how much you said you needed them to charge up your remote controlled fruit chopper. No sun, no solar panels, no use. You knew it was a bad idea to mix paper clips, pop rocks and Pepsi.

it had to be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
great news: when you get to be an M2 and have the Health Policy course, they give you your note packet held together by a nice big rubber band. the thing is GREAT for fiddling with if you have fidget fingers.

So these mysterious notes you speak of...the stuff on ANGEL should suffice, correct?

I was sleeping until 12:20 today, so no Health Policy for me. Although, I still wouldn't have gone even if I was awake.

So these mysterious notes you speak of...the stuff on ANGEL should suffice, correct?

I was sleeping until 12:20 today, so no Health Policy for me. Although, I still wouldn't have gone even if I was awake.

unless i'm missing them on ANGEL, i don't see the powerpoints we received in a packet. that's what you will be needing.

Make sure you don't sleep through the last class session because immediately after the last lecture is the exam. That's so stupid. :mad:

They said go to the office to get the notes. No idea where the office is though.

I remember that... good times.

unless i'm missing them on ANGEL, i don't see the powerpoints we received in a packet. that's what you will be needing.

Yeah, just noticed that it's only the articles posted online right now. Wonder if the coops will suffice then. I just don't want to have to find this office cuz I'm lazy.

Yeah, just noticed that it's only the articles posted online right now. Wonder if the coops will suffice then. I just don't want to have to find this office cuz I'm lazy.

Oooh... was just talking to someone who said people need to email someone for the notes. I'll email you the info.

Oooh... was just talking to someone who said people need to email someone for the notes. I'll email you the info.

Thanks Ashleigh!

Members don't see this ad :)
pretty sure the entire class had to scramble this year, unfortunately. maybe somebody else knows.

Are you trying to scare people away? :smuggrin:

I've only talked to Anderson so far (Tuesday), and he matched (radiation oncology).

Don't know how to get the list though. Anyone else know?

One of my good friends matched into ortho at Brooklyn and another at USC for internal med. I know a girl who got ortho too, not sure where though.

The list comes out, only to students.

11 people had to scramble this year, but all of them got spots. The word on the street is four from ortho, a couple derm, two peds, and a couple other various specialties.

*finger on the pulse*

How can i get hold of MCW's matchlist?

I have last years, if you want to see that. I think we got it sometime before the end of the academic year. Sorry, that's as close as I can remember.

The list comes out, only to students.

11 people had to scramble this year, but all of them got spots. The word on the street is four from ortho, a couple derm, two peds, and a couple other various specialties.

*finger on the pulse*
you can scramble for a derm spot? wow. I would have thought that those all get snatched up. I know two M4s that I might ask how they did...

you can scramble for a derm spot? wow. I would have thought that those all get snatched up. I know two M4s that I might ask how they did...

They might have scrambled into a different field after not getting derm.

Although the percentage of spots that fill can usually be correlated to competitiveness, I don't think it correlates exactly. There are a number of factors that could leave derm spots open even though the field is super-competitive. Take anesthesiology for example: This year there were a bunch of open anesthesia spots, even though there were many more applicants (and they averaged many more interviews per candidate) than in the past few years. The speculation over on the GasForums is that some residency directors saw the increase in applicants as a sign that they could cherry-pick the best ones, and that maybe they didn't rank as deeply as they should have. When all the best applicants got scooped up, there weren't enough people on the programs' rank lists to fill the gaps. Rumor has it that MCW anesthesia had 5 open spots, although I haven't confirmed that from anyone at school.

this thread does not belong on page 2.

I woke up at 2:30pm today. Nice.

this thread does not belong on page 2.

I woke up at 2:30pm today. Nice.

I got up at 6am today, went to the Ortho Academy (in Chicago) for a half-day of lectures/lab on foot and ankle surgery (my dad's course, I tagged along), got to play with cadaver feet, then I went to the Museum of Science and Industry and saw Body Worlds 2. (A lot of it reminded me of path lab, except I couldn't touch anything. Especially hemorrhagic infahction of brain.)

How can i get hold of MCW's matchlist?

I'm sorry I don't have this years match list, but last years is posted under the "admissions" page at the bottom on the MCW page (see below for link directly to it).

http://www.mcw.edu/display/displayF...ts_-_NoNameResidencyMatchAppointments_web.pdf

I know it's not in the best layout, but if you're patient you can get through it fairly quickly, depending on what you're looking for. In any case, I would imagine that they will post this years in place of last years sometime soon, hopefully. Hope this helps. (See below for some more 2006 info...)

Specialty choices made by the Class of 2006 for the PGY-1 year are listed below:
Anesthesiology 5
Otolaryngology 3
Dermatology 1
Pathology 6
Emergency Medicine 21
Pediatrics 13
Family Medicine 19
Plastic Surgery 2
Internal Medicine 24
Psychiatry 9
Internal Medicine - Preliminary 17
Psychiatry/Family Medicine 2
Internal Medicine – Primary Care 1
Radiology 1
Internal Medicine – Research Path 1
Surgery 11
Internal Medicine/Pediatrics 12
Surgery - Preliminary 12
Obstetrics/Gynecology 8
Transitional 21
Orthopaedic Surgery 6

Students matched to the PGY-2 level have selected the following specialty disciplines:
Anesthesiology 11
Ophthalmology 4
Dermatology 2
Radiation Oncology 3
Emergency Medicine 1
Radiology 11
Neurology 4
Urology 4
Neurosurgery 1

What's the difference between PGY-1 residencies and those folks who match to PGY-2 ones? Thank you.

Most of the PGY-2 residencies require a one year internship (hence all the internal medicine-prelim and surgery-prelim people). The only one on the list that isn't in that category is EM... not sure what the story was there.

The only copy of the match list that I have has everyone's names on it, so I'm not posting it. However, just the numbers of people going into each specialty isn't very helpful, since you don't know how many people wanted to go into each thing... so going "oh, 6 in ortho" doesn't say anything, since you don't know if that's all 6 that applied or if 20 people did. Just my two cents... tired as they are. :)

However, just the numbers of people going into each specialty isn't very helpful, since you don't know how many people wanted to go into each thing... so going "oh, 6 in ortho" doesn't say anything, since you don't know if that's all 6 that applied or if 20 people did. Just my two cents... tired as they are. :)

I know of 1 person who wanted anesthesiology, and he got internal med. I counted 10 ortho, and I only heard of 1 scrambling -- he didn't get ortho, but some surgery transitional thing, I think.

Edit: 1 person that I heard of who wanted ortho scrambled (I don't know who it was though).

So I am in the process of doing some budgeting before finding a place to live in the Wauwatosa area. I know it's personal info, but I was hoping some of you wouldn't mind giving me some idea as to the amount you spend on bills per month (including heat, water, electric, cable, internet, and phone)? It would be much appreciated as I try to figure out if I will need to rob a bank in the next few weeks. :mad:

Heat/electric was $60 or so in August/September, and it was $180 for the coldest month here, and it should drop back down around $100 for me now, as it's pretty nice out right now. Water is almost always included in rent here. Cable + high-speed Internet with Time Warner is $90 a month. My wife and I share a cell phone plan with plenty of minutes for $60 a month.

On a side note, old people are hilarious. Some guy is walking around the Tosa library farting up a storm. And two middle-schoolers just ran past me.

find an apartment where heat/water is included. hopefully that's a common thing, as that's what I and akpete have.

So I am in the process of doing some budgeting before finding a place to live in the Wauwatosa area. I know it's personal info, but I was hoping some of you wouldn't mind giving me some idea as to the amount you spend on bills per month (including heat, water, electric, cable, internet, and phone)? It would be much appreciated as I try to figure out if I will need to rob a bank in the next few weeks. :mad:

The following is my portion of the 2br with a roommate:
rent= 400
all of my utilities are included except electric which is about 25
cable= free ( bunny ears)
internet=steal from neighbors
phone= i only have a cell phone which is still on the family plan with my parents
food= prob my most of my "extra" spending. I could really cut back if i decided to cook more often. Prob about 200

I sit next to Jeff in class - he put the letter from Rooshin Dalal in our open mailboxes and mentioned it in one of our other class threads. Agree to disagree, I guess?

"These (simulation) tools are so much better than using animals," says one of the responders to the survey, Martin Eason M.D., J.D., director of the Patient Simulation Laboratory at East Tennessee State University Quillen School of Medicine. "No school should be depriving their students of them."

Now that's uncalled for. What school is "depriving" their students of the simulations? We've got all the cardiovascular simulation we want right in the 24 hour computer lab.

I sit next to Jeff in class - he put the letter from Rooshin Dalal in our open mailboxes and mentioned it in one of our other class threads. Agree to disagree, I guess?

“These (simulation) tools are so much better than using animals,” says one of the responders to the survey, Martin Eason M.D., J.D., director of the Patient Simulation Laboratory at East Tennessee State University Quillen School of Medicine. “No school should be depriving their students of them.”

Now that's uncalled for. What school is "depriving" their students of the simulations? We've got all the cardiovascular simulation we want right in the 24 hour computer lab.

As someone who chose not to do the lab, I think it would have been nice for the school to write a protocol to use the simulation software to test somewhat similar drugs. Yeah, I could do a lot of that for myself in my spare time with my extra brains, but given that 12 students skipped the lab for each of the last two years, the faculty supervision money saved could pay someone for three days of time to write a very nice handout. I don't feel ripped off, but after the 12-minute speech about how "proud" the department head was of all of us ("us" meaning, I think, the 95% of students who chose to do the lab), and the "open discussion session" in which my question about study advice for people not going was answered with the exhortation to go to the lab, I don't feel my choice was treated with a whole lot of respect, either.

Now, that being said, I'm in favor of animal research right now, and I don't agree with much of anything PETA has to say about any subject. I'm a very inconsistent person.

Most of the PGY-2 residencies require a one year internship (hence all the internal medicine-prelim and surgery-prelim people). The only one on the list that isn't in that category is EM... not sure what the story was there.

The only copy of the match list that I have has everyone's names on it, so I'm not posting it. However, just the numbers of people going into each specialty isn't very helpful, since you don't know how many people wanted to go into each thing... so going "oh, 6 in ortho" doesn't say anything, since you don't know if that's all 6 that applied or if 20 people did. Just my two cents... tired as they are. :)

I think the four year EM programs are either 1-4, meaning you do EM for all four years, or 2-4, meaning you do an intern year, and then do three years of EM.

Regarding the recent dog lab controversy...

"Killing an innocent animal is unethical," Jeff says. "The top medical schools produce some of the country's best physicians without ever harming an animal."

The guy sounds a little naive to me. Does he really believe that all of the medications we use and surgical procedures we do were developed without harming animals? Would he rather see these things tried on humans first? How would the top medical schools be turning out great physicians without all of the knowledge we have gained?

I'll stop now before I really start to rant and rave.+pissed+

The guy sounds a little naive to me. Does he really believe that all of the medications we use and surgical procedures we do were developed without harming animals? Would he rather see these things tried on humans first? How would the top medical schools be turning out great physicians without all of the knowledge we have gained?

Like Denise, I did not participate in the lab, but I do support animals in research. You can call me naive if you like, but I do realize the importance of animals in medical research. My major problem with the lab, and I have stated this before, is the method by which the dogs are acquired. I am not affiliated with PETA or any animal rights groups, probably because I do feel that animals are instrumental in our understanding of physiological concepts. That being said, there is nothing new being learned in the dog lab. There were a few concepts introduced that were not covered in lecture or Dr. Greene's computer simulation, but the vast majority of it was a rehash of material already learned. An animal should not be killed just so that I can review material I have already learned. What is being learned in the lab is not going to contribute to higher grades in physio, higher board scores, or becoming a physician who understands cardiovascular physiology better than a physician who didn't attend a live animal lab.

Jeff Tomasini

Well said, Jeff.

The more I study physiology, the more I see where the physiologists are coming from. There is SO MUCH dog-derived data in physiology, so much research that could not have been accomplished without them. I can understand where people who are so dependent on animals for precious data would wonder what the heck is the matter with people like me.

At the same time, I talked with people I know whom I expected to encourage me to go to lab, including my ex, who does animal research for cryonics. He's a little cynical and I actually expected him to tell me I was being a big baby about the whole thing. So his reaction was particularly surprising to me: "Simulations aren't really all that good. But on the other hand, I don't see what you would learn from the dog lab that you wouldn't be learning half a dozen other ways. The big thing these days in animal work is the "Three Rs": Reduction, Replacement, Refinement."

I don't object to people wanting to do the lab, but it's not for me. So I figure I (and three other opters-out) reduced by one dog.

Then I ate a chicken salad. Oh, well. I'm not any kind of saint. That's why I really try not to throw rocks at anyone about this.

I didn't do the lab. I figured I'd learn the material faster from a graph than from watching it happen. Plus, one of my lab partners made me want to vomit.

I didn't have any problem with it, though.

Like Denise, I did not participate in the lab, but I do support animals in research. You can call me naive if you like, but I do realize the importance of animals in medical research. My major problem with the lab, and I have stated this before, is the method by which the dogs are acquired. I am not affiliated with PETA or any animal rights groups, probably because I do feel that animals are instrumental in our understanding of physiological concepts. That being said, there is nothing new being learned in the dog lab. There were a few concepts introduced that were not covered in lecture or Dr. Greene's computer simulation, but the vast majority of it was a rehash of material already learned. An animal should not be killed just so that I can review material I have already learned. What is being learned in the lab is not going to contribute to higher grades in physio, higher board scores, or becoming a physician who understands cardiovascular physiology better than a physician who didn't attend a live animal lab.

Jeff Tomasini

I can respect your point. Quite honestly, I don't know where the dogs come from.
However, what I really have a problem with is that a small minority of people who have objections to the lab (and who can opt out), are trying to take it away from people who want to participate in it. If the way the dogs are being obtained is the problem, why not work to ensure they are from a reputable source, rather than to take away what I personally consider a valuable learning experience.
Personally, the lab was one of my favorite experiences of my first two years. Yes, I agree that the material is covered in several different ways, that there is a computer simulation, and that we didn't generate any new knowledge. But I felt that I learned new things during the lab. I personally learn more by doing, and am grateful for the experience. For me, the argument that you can learn the material from a book or simulation doesn't hold any water at all, because by the same logic, you could replace the third and fourth years of medical school with more books and additional simulators (like the surgery or anesthesia sims).
As far as the lab contributing to higher grades, or board scores, or whatever, that's all irrelevant. A person should be able to learn/master the material in the best way for them. This is a very individualized issue, and for me, the dog lab cemented several concepts, and contributed to my personal learning experience. This is why I have a problem with people trying to force their personal beliefs on others by trying to take it away. The option for you to opt out is there, and will continue to be. The option for me to opt in should also continue to exist, because we each learn best in our own way.

I can respect your point. Quite honestly, I don't know where the dogs come from.
However, what I really have a problem with is that a small minority of people who have objections to the lab (and who can opt out), are trying to take it away from people who want to participate in it. If the way the dogs are being obtained is the problem, why not work to ensure they are from a reputable source, rather than to take away what I personally consider a valuable learning experience.

You certainly make some valid points. I don't doubt that many students take a lot away from the lab. I have spoken with a lot of students from all years who still defend it as a great experience. I just think that for the majority of students, the material can be learned effectively through alternate ways that don't involve animals.

There certainly are alternatives to acquiring animals through Class B Dealers. I spoke with the course director last year, and he mentioned that it boils down to money. I wasn't given exact costs, but purpose-bred animals, which are almost exclusively used in research, are prohibitively expensive for use in the lab, especially when you consider having to purchase 60 dogs. I think if more students realized exactly where the dogs are coming from, they might opt out. It's pretty sad to think that dogs that were once pets, who ended up in a shelter for whatever reason and have hope for life in another home, end up being euthanized before they get that chance.

Personally, the lab was one of my favorite experiences of my first two years. Yes, I agree that the material is covered in several different ways, that there is a computer simulation, and that we didn't generate any new knowledge. But I felt that I learned new things during the lab. I personally learn more by doing, and am grateful for the experience. For me, the argument that you can learn the material from a book or simulation doesn't hold any water at all, because by the same logic, you could replace the third and fourth years of medical school with more books and additional simulators (like the surgery or anesthesia sims).
As far as the lab contributing to higher grades, or board scores, or whatever, that's all irrelevant. A person should be able to learn/master the material in the best way for them. This is a very individualized issue, and for me, the dog lab cemented several concepts, and contributed to my personal learning experience. This is why I have a problem with people trying to force their personal beliefs on others by trying to take it away. The option for you to opt out is there, and will continue to be. The option for me to opt in should also continue to exist, because we each learn best in our own way.

I can see the argument that things would be a little better if the school went to purpose-bred lab dogs, instead of from a random-source dealer. Such dogs, unfortunately, cost something like $2,000 each. I don't know how much the random-source dogs cost, but it's a LOT less than that. I can't see the school making that expensive a change, knowing they'd still be faced with protesters with their cute puppies and billboards every year.

I can also see your argument about stopping the dog lab for everyone, in that if I choose not to eat meat, I don't go around trying to stop everyone else from doing it. Provided the high level of supervision is maintained and the dogs stay well-anesthetized, I don't find the lab to be excessively cruel. Just something I don't want to do.

For me the comparison of the lab with clinical rotations is less valid. Patients actually need to be treated and are already ill and have consented to be visited by medical students. Informed consent is not really an option for a dog. I agree that you can't learn everything from a simulation that you can from a live lab, but would argue that the life experience you gain from a lab, and the hands-on experience of setting up the lab, is not the main topic of the physiology course. It may make you a more informed and well-rounded medical student, but I doubt that ten years from now it will be possible to distinguish those of us who did the dog lab from those who didn't. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to distinguish people who did or didn't do clinical rotations. For me, the additional knowledge from the lab doesn't cross the threshhold of being worth the price, but for most people, it does.

There are a lot of areas where there's room for respectful (I hope) disagreement here, and I hope I'm staying civil. I mean to be.

As a perspective MCW-er, I was wondering...how great is the cell phone reception with particular providers. Can anyone vouch for Verizon? Cingular? I'm currently on V, but going to switch to C when I get the iPhone. And it'd help if Milwaukee has a decent Cingular network! :eek:

As a perspective MCW-er, I was wondering...how great is the cell phone reception with particular providers. Can anyone vouch for Verizon? Cingular? I'm currently on V, but going to switch to C when I get the iPhone. And it'd help if Milwaukee has a decent Cingular network! :eek:

I have Verizon. The only time I have reception problems is in the lecture halls, but really, I rarely have my phone on in there anyway. It's annoying when people's phones ring (there are a few major offenders in my class).

I have Cingular and I couldn't be happier with my reception anywhere in the area (current phone is Sony Ericsson w810). ...Oh and I can't wait for the iPhone either, I just wish it was a little cheaper but what can ya do? I'll still end up forking over the money for it I'm sure.

I have Cingular and I couldn't be happier with my reception anywhere in the area (current phone is Sony Ericsson w810). ...Oh and I can't wait for the iPhone either, I just wish it was a little cheaper but what can ya do? I'll still end up forking over the money for it I'm sure.

I live just south of Bluemound road, east of campus, and my Cingular phone (a little cheap Samsung) gave me dropped calls and irregular signal all over the place. I just switched to T-Mobile, because I got a better deal and because my roommate gets good reception with T-Mobile at our place, at least in the kitchen.

Reception inside the school was never good for me, so I stopped thinking about my phone, only to discover to my horror that it will STILL RING. During anatomy lecture. From the very, very bottom of my freakin' backpack. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.