Mayo (Full Tuition) vs. Sinai (60% tuition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayo or Sinai?

• Mayo

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Sinai

Votes: 88 58.3%

• Total voters

bostoncollegemgh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The difference will come to $54,000 over the 4 years.

Mayo is a great place. I completely understand it's educational value, opportunities and how I could perceivably do better there academically. Of course the hospital is on another level and completely outshines Sinai. However, I absolutely hated Rochester (I have been there twice now). After 4 days I could not wait to leave.

Mount Sinai gives me similar educational standing, a little more competitiveness due to AOA and is a less hand-holding/more fast paced environment but I'm an east coast person and not deterred by competition. My family lives across the river and in Brooklyn and my boyfriend in Boston. Everyone I know and care about is on the east coast. If money was not an issue I would go to Sinai in a heart beat just based on that support system.

However, I do consider myself strong. If I had to go to Mayo I would make it work. But are $54,000 worth that sacrifice?

I LITERALLY AM ON THE VERGE ON FLIPPING A COIN FOR THIS DECISION.

Members don't see this ad.

Not much to add here But I would Kill 20 unsullied and 2 dragons to be in your position right now. I would go to Mount Sinai the students there seem to be so happy for some reason I dont know whats in the water. Plus Location matters and its hard to beat Manhattan!!

Reactions: 10 users
The difference will come to $54,000 over the 4 years. I absolutely hated Rochester (I have been there twice now). After 4 days I could not wait to leave. Mount Sinai gives me similar educational standing, ... My family lives across the river and in Brooklyn and my boyfriend in Boston. Everyone I know and care about is on the east coast. If money was not an issue I would go to Sinai in a heart beat just based on that support system.
Unless you've got children to feed, I would go with Mt. Sinai as $54,000 isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things (though do factor in differences in cost of living!). Essentially, you'll be paying for the extra support, happiness, and mental well-being. And if you can't even stand Rochester for 4 days (can't blame you there), how will you stand it for 4 years? Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
??? Am I missing something here? Sounds like you'll be miserable in Rochester. Dude hands down Mt.Sinai.

Reactions: 1 users
Put yourself in the best environment where you can succeed! Incidentally, this is also the thing that the Mayo people would tell you :)

Reactions: 4 users
Mayo is a fantastic place to train, however you definitely need to ask yourself if you can survive being in Rochester, MN for 4 years in a tiny class. If you are married already, it can be very doable if your SO has a flexible career, however if you are not, it can be very difficult to meet people.

Training wise, you really can't go wrong with Mt. Sinai. It is also a fantastic school that places their students very well. Plus you get to live in NYC for a little bit if that's what you're into.

54k is not worth making yourself miserable for 4 years.

For such a small (relatively) indebtedness, choosing Sinai is the better option considering how much happier you'll be. Medical school is no joke--placing yourself in a situation that maximizes your happiness, stability, etc. is key.

That being said, you can also reach out to Sinai and see if they're willing to increase their financial aid offer, in light of this great offer from Mayo. I don't think you stand to lose anything if done appropriately. Worst case scenario is you accept their current offer (which you should do regardless, but they don't know that).

Reactions: 1 user
I'd go to Sinai in your position. If the difference was 2x as much I'd ask if you were absolutely sure, but while it's not an insignificant amount of money, it's manageable. Especially since NYC is way better than Rochester.

@bostoncollegemgh Go walk the labyrinth behind Bapst if you still can. It'll give you the answer. (Also very jealous I didn't think to make that my pic).

U gonna live with your parents or rent? Rent in nyc is no joke
Sinai has excellent subsidized housing options.

OP, it seems that you'd be happier at Sinai. The cost difference is a small price to pay for your comfort.

Uhhh. Manhattan versus Rochester... is this even a question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya i think you've pretty much answered your question OP. You can't go wrong with either but no reason in signing up to be miserable for 4 years.

You'll get plenty of greta opportunities at Sinai as well.

Unless you happen to like Siberian cold six months of the year.

Mayo is a great place. I completely understand it's educational value, opportunities and how I could perceivably do better there academically. Of course the hospital is on another level and completely outshines Sinai. However, I absolutely hated Rochester (I have been there twice now). After 4 days I could not wait to leave.

Mount Sinai gives me similar educational standing, a little more competitiveness due to AOA and is a less hand-holding/more fast paced environment but I'm an east coast person and not deterred by competition. My family lives across the river and in Brooklyn and my boyfriend in Boston. Everyone I know and care about is on the east coast. If money was not an issue I would go to Sinai in a heart beat just based on that support system.

However, I do consider myself strong. If I had to go to Mayo I would make it work. But are $54,000 worth that sacrifice?

In the grand scheme of being a doctor 54k isn't much. You'd be happier at Sinai and that means a lot. Plus your support system is local.

A lot of people pay 54k for tuition in one year of undergrad

Is the $54K tuition difference only? If so, you need to calculate the total difference, including room and board.

I'm in a similar position, although I will most likely be going to Mayo over my other acceptances. I'm from NY and my entire family lives in NY. However I love Mayo so much and I actually liked Rochester/could see myself living there and being happy. Based on what you wrote about hating Rochester and wanting to leave after only 4 days, it's hard for me to say you should come to Mayo, even though I think Mayo is amazing. It really sounds like you would be miserable living in Rochester and that won't be conducive to doing well in med school. 4 years is a long time to live in a place that you absolutely hate.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm gonna echo the "follow happiness" trend here and vote Sinai.

Looking at the poll, it's nice how much SDN loves Mayo ;)

Mayo is truly a special place, but if you will not be happy there because of the location, it's just not worth it.

54k isn't that much especially if you already factored in interest. Personally I'd pick Mayo over Sinai, but that's because I'd enjoy my time at Mayo.

However, in your case, since you couldn't stand 4 days there, 4 years sounds horrific. Spend the small amount of extra money to go where you'll enjoy yourself.

Also you're lucky in that you really can't make a wrong decision at all. Both schools are incredible.

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

Plug in some numbers after you give an honest estimate about how much more expensive going to Sinai would be. Run those numbers to see how much *additional* loan repayment you are going to incur. If you're going to neurosurg, no sweat - it's covered. If you want to do peds, be prepared to eat ramen noodles, drive a 15 year-old Civic, and rent for the rest of your life.

Plug in some numbers after you give an honest estimate about how much more expensive going to Sinai would be. Run those numbers to see how much *additional* loan repayment you are going to incur. If you're going to neurosurg, no sweat - it's covered. If you want to do peds, be prepared to eat ramen noodles, drive a 15 year-old Civic, and rent for the rest of your life.

Wow. You gunning for the hyperbole awards or something?

All your 'calculations' assume that existing debt load is high. NYC's rent is expensive. Otherwise cost of living isn't all that bad unless you routinely go out till 4 AM. Sinai has lots of subsidized housing. And front loading your loan repayment during residency and nascent attending-hood will go a long way to mitigating your apocalyptic prediction.

even if the OP goes to Sinai they will only be paying $54,000 for tuition over the 4 years. even if you add NYC cost of living they will still come out much better than most med students after 4 years and shouldn't face such a dire financial situation, even if they do peds.

http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md/tuition-and-financial-aid

Estimated first-year Mayo Medical School student expenses (12 months) for the 2014-2015 academic year are:

• Tuition — $47,470
  • Books — $1,950
  • Rent and utilities — $14,328 (average $1,194 a month)
  • Food — $4,260 (average $355 a month)
  • Personal and miscellaneous — $6,360 (average $530 a month)
  • Transportation — $3,828 (average $319 a month)
  • Technology fees — $540 (average $45 a month)
  • Total budget — $78,736
$78,736 x 4 = $314,944

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/

Loan Balance:$314,944.00
Adjusted Loan Balance:$314,944.00
Loan Interest Rate:6.80%
Loan Fees:0.00%
Loan Term:15 years
Minimum Payment:$50.00
Monthly Loan Payment:$2,795.71
Number of Payments:180

Cumulative Payments:$503,226.94
Total Interest Paid:$188,282.94

add $54K

Loan Balance: $368,944.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $368,944.00
Loan Interest Rate: 6.80%
Loan Fees: 0.00%
Loan Term: 15 years
Minimum Payment: $50.00
Monthly Loan Payment: $3,275.06
Number of Payments: 180

Cumulative Payments: $589,509.72
Total Interest Paid: $220,565.72

---

I have to believe that since you are all attending college that you are all keenly aware of the skyrocketing cost of education.

$54K isn't $54K - it's that plus whatever interest for whatever length of time you choose to repay it over. I've mentioned this in other threads, and if the increased cost is offset by an opportunity for something you cannot get at the cheaper school - say, access to a specialty not available elsewhere, you have to make that choice.

I can't quantify 'happiness' in dollar terms, but I can say that you will pay an additional $86K over fifteen years for it. More if you lengthen the loan. It will take you longer to buy a house. You may not be able to do a specialty that is personally rewarding but pays less simply by the cost of loans you incur. You will need to work more than you may want to and have less free-, family-time. You may have to delay retirement longer than you want to. These are the things you need to think about. Take the long view. Because once you choose, you can't go back.

http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md/tuition-and-financial-aid

Estimated first-year Mayo Medical School student expenses (12 months) for the 2014-2015 academic year are:
[Snip]
I have to believe that since you are all attending college that you are all keenly aware of the skyrocketing cost of education.

$54K isn't $54K - it's that plus whatever interest for whatever length of time you choose to repay it over. I've mentioned this in other threads, and if the increased cost is offset by an opportunity for something you cannot get at the cheaper school - say, access to a specialty not available elsewhere, you have to make that choice.

I can't quantify 'happiness' in dollar terms, but I can say that you will pay an additional $86K over fifteen years for it. More if you lengthen the loan. It will take you longer to buy a house. You may not be able to do a specialty that is personally rewarding but pays less simply by the cost of loans you incur. You will need to work more than you may want to and have less free-, family-time. You may have to delay retirement longer than you want to. These are the things you need to think about. Take the long view. Because once you choose, you can't go back.

You gunning for daft MD award brah?*

Did you miss the part where Mayo is full tuition scholarship and Sinai is 60% tuition scholarship? Yeah, that 54k is pre-interest. OP can also choose to spend money wisely and take out less than the max loan amounts.

I'm likely going to end up returning money this semester or taking far less next semester and I'm far from the most frugal student in the world.

*That was a joke I swear.

You gunning for daft MD award brah?*

Did you miss the part where Mayo is full tuition scholarship and Sinai is 60% tuition scholarship? Yeah, that 54k is pre-interest. OP can also choose to spend money wisely and take out less than the max loan amounts.

I'm likely going to end up returning money this semester or taking far less next semester and I'm far from the most frugal student in the world.

*That was a joke I swear.

Ah, okay. Nights in the ER scramble my brains.

Loan Balance:$125,064.00
Adjusted Loan Balance:$125,064.00
Monthly Loan Payment:$1,110.17

Cumulative Payments:$199,831.54
Total Interest Paid:$74,767.54

Loan Balance:$179,064.00
Adjusted Loan Balance:$179,064.00
Monthly Loan Payment:$1,589.52

Cumulative Payments:$286,114.33
Total Interest Paid:$107,050.33

---

Still $86K more, although with monthly that low you can certainly accelerate payments to reduce interest.

Loan Balance: $125,064.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $125,064.00
Loan Term: 5 years
Monthly Loan Payment: $2,464.63
Number of Payments: 60

Cumulative Payments: $147,878.02
Total Interest Paid: $22,814.02

Loan Balance: $179,064.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $179,064.00
Monthly Loan Payment: $3,528.81

Cumulative Payments: $211,728.57
Total Interest Paid: $32,664.57

It's reasonable if you pay aggressively for five years and you don't mind "living like a resident" for a couple years after residency, hold off having kids, getting a house. Gotta factor in undergrad loans too, if there are any. Sure, go to Sinai.

100% Sinai. I live in NYC now and nothing beats the city for nightlife and the environment. Do yourself a favor and come to Sinai. Also honestly, $54,000 is not that much when your earning potential will be phenomenal as a physician. It isn't that much money in the long run.

1. Go where you will be happier.
2. In my personal opinion, Mt Sinai has at least as much prestige as Mayo. In any case, I doubt that there's much difference between the two in terms of match potential or academic career potential.
3. Cost of living will likely not be much different due to Mt Sinai's subsidized housing.
4. Student discounts make many NY cultural attractions affordable.
5. $54,000 doubled by interest to $108,000 is still a trivial difference in the greater scheme of things. Also, loans paid back under the various repayment plans ( IBR, PAYE, REPAYE) have effective interest rates of about 3%. Currently, if you decide to pay off your loans sooner and refinance, you can get rates of about 3% or less in many cases. If you pay off your loans in 5 years at 3% you will end up paying very little additional interest. You will probably be able to pay that off in one or two years as an attending. All your loans will be paid off in 3 or 4 years max.
6. If you told me you hated Mayo but got a full ride there vs no money at Mt Sinai, I would still tell you to go to Mt Sinai. You need to be happy with your choice of school in order to maximize your chances of being successful.

Everyone here posting about the fact that its not much money needs to read Tkims post above. You have to factor in interest. This difference will likely not affect quality of life much in the long run, but OP needs to be frugal to offset the decision in med school and/or be comfortable living within their means at the start of their career to pay off the debt instead of buying things because doctor.

While this is a reasonable amount post interest, students making a decision like this need to be able to be comfortable picking 'happiness' or med school experiences and balancing that with delaying a few things in/post residency.

In general way too many doctors live far above their means once they get their first job because they spend money based on their salary while ignoring their debt burden.

Not much to add here But I would Kill 20 unsullied and 2 dragons to be in your position right now. I would go to Mount Sinai the students there seem to be so happy for some reason I dont know whats in the water. Plus Location matters and its hard to beat Manhattan!!

Great GOT reference. Thank you. I needed a laugh!

Ah, okay. Nights in the ER scramble my brains.

Loan Balance:$125,064.00
Adjusted Loan Balance:$125,064.00
Monthly Loan Payment:$1,110.17

Cumulative Payments:$199,831.54
Total Interest Paid:$74,767.54

Loan Balance:$179,064.00
Adjusted Loan Balance:$179,064.00
Monthly Loan Payment:$1,589.52

Cumulative Payments:$286,114.33
Total Interest Paid:$107,050.33

---

Still $86K more, although with monthly that low you can certainly accelerate payments to reduce interest.

Loan Balance: $125,064.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $125,064.00
Monthly Loan Payment: $2,464.63

Cumulative Payments: $147,878.02
Total Interest Paid: $22,814.02

Loan Balance: $179,064.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $179,064.00
Monthly Loan Payment: $3,528.81

Cumulative Payments: $211,728.57
Total Interest Paid: $32,664.57

It's reasonable if you pay aggressively for five years and you don't mind "living like a resident" for a couple years after residency, hold off having kids, getting a house. Gotta factor in undergrad loans too, if there are any. Sure, go to Sinai.

The second half of this post was scary close to my estimations. I definitely would have to do aggressive payments at Sinai to lower my total interest accumulated which I am not sure are possible with a resident salary. Which is why the "**** the 54,000" attitude has been scaring me. I'm definitely gonna push for more money because as it stands it's gonna add up fast.

The second half of this post was scary close to my estimations. I definitely would have to do aggressive payments at Sinai to lower my total interest accumulated which I am not sure are possible with a resident salary. Which is why the "**** the 54,000" attitude has been scaring me. I'm definitely gonna push for more money because as it stands it's gonna add up fast.
The difference between an $1,100 loan payment and a $1,500 loan payment isn't worth four years of misery. Hell, if you want to be miserable to make up the 54k difference, just get one upstate NY job post-graduation, make bank for a year, and go back to the city. That trades four years of misery for one year of misery. Or you could just live like a resident in the city for one extra year and throw all of your new income at your loans, which would pay them all down in a year- still, one year of misery instead of four. You only get one life before you up and die, make sure to live one you enjoy.

The difference between an $1,100 loan payment and a $1,500 loan payment isn't worth four years of misery. Hell, if you want to be miserable to make up the 54k difference, just get one upstate NY job post-graduation, make bank for a year, and go back to the city. That trades four years of misery for one year of misery. Or you could just live like a resident in the city for one extra year and throw all of your new income at your loans, which would pay them all down in a year- still, one year of misery instead of four. You only get one life before you up and die, make sure to live one you enjoy.

This is the biggest take away when making the decision. Are you comfortable getting a jump in salary and still living well below your means so you can erase a solid chunk of debt?

Four years of anticipated misery versus paying an extra $400 a month for fifteen years, or an extra $1100 a month for five years.

I don't know what would be worse - four years of anticipated misery or five to fifteen years of avoidable increased debt.

As mentioned, you can soften the blow by paying more/faster. But how many people can put up with a $3500/month loan payment for 5 years? I know nothing about the undergrad tuition, so this is not the whole story, and the numbers may be way higher when undergrad is taken into account.

Also, choice of specialty is important. Wanna do medical genetics? Average take home single status, in NY is $8,277.42. Aggressive repaymentof $3500/mo leaves $47xx/month for living expenses, savings, retirement. For the single person, it might be enough, but once you consider starting a family, buying a house, it's not much at all. If you went to cheaper place, that month note would go down to $2400, which is over $1000 less per month.

Again, if you want to do neurosurg or derm, no worries, you can easily cover the increased debt.

Regional salary differences complicate the issue as well.

Q: "But, I don't know what I want to do, or where I will be practicing, so how can I predict what I will be making?"

A: You can't. The only thing you can control *right now*, is your anticipated debt. This is my point.

http://www.adp.com/tools-and-resour...l-calculators/salary-paycheck-calculator.aspx

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/physician-salaries/384846/

Average U.S. Physician Salaries by Specialty
Allergy and Immunology $296,705
Anesthesiology $357,116
Cardiology $436,849
Colon and Rectal Surgery $343,277
Dermatology $400,898
Emergency Medicine $320,419
Endocrinology $217,610
Family Medicine $227,541
Gastroenterology $379,460
General Surgery $360,933
Hematology $376,660
Infectious Disease $205,570
Internal Medicine $223,175
Medical Genetics $158,597
Medicine/Pediatrics $205,610
Neonatology/Perinatology $290,853
Nephrology $306,302
Neurology $243,105
Neurosurgery $609,639
Nuclear Medicine $290,639
Obstetrics & Gynecology $315,295
Occupational Medicine $229,450
Oncology $341,701
Ophthalmology $343,144
Orthopaedic Surgery $535,668
Otolaryngology (ENT) $369,790
Pathology $302,610
Pediatric Cardiology $303,917
Pediatric Emergency Medicine $273,683
Pediatric Endocrinology $157,394
Pediatric Gastroenterology $196,708
Pediatric Hematology & Oncology $192,855
Pediatric Infectious Disease $163,658
Pediatric Nephrology $183,730
Pediatric Pulmonology $218,106
Pediatric Rheumatology $200,027
Pediatrics $206,961
Physical Medicine/Rehab $278,283
Plastic Surgery $407,709
Preventive Medicine $270,888
Psychiatry $227,478
Pulmonology $317,323
Radiation Oncology $418,228
Radiology $404,302
Rheumatology $244,765
Thoracic Surgery $471,137
Urology $381,029
Vascular Surgery $428,944

If you want to do peds, be prepared to eat ramen noodles, drive a 15 year-old Civic, and rent for the rest of your life.

I'm not sure if this post is unfunny or uninformed. Maybe its both.

How is it uninformed? Tell me.

If you don't think one can pay down 54,000 in debt in a 250K/year salary, you are just wrong. And it will not require "eating ramen noodles" for the rest of your life. Have you ever heard of a mortgage? Or undergrad student debt?

You could literally live as if you made 150,000 (multiple times the median income) for 1 year and throw the rest at the debt and be done with it.

However, I absolutely hated Rochester (I have been there twice now). After 4 days I could not wait to leave.
Born there, lived there, family is still there; family associated with Mayo. Not sure why the hate for Rochester but your attitude alone says don't live there; you won't fit in. Go where you'll be happy.

Born there, lived there, family is still there; family associated with Mayo. Not sure why the hate for Rochester but your attitude alone says don't live there; you won't fit in. Go where you'll be happy.

I wanted to love it. Trust me. Mayo is an incredible hospital and every time I'm in the hospital I'm happy and excited to be there but as soon as I step outside and remember where I am it's back to get me out of here. I have never lived outside a city. Rochester is the smallest town I've ever been to. I know that I can technically just put my head down and study and have no social life.... but 4 years is a long time. It's a scary choice to make either way. Mount Sinai would be great but I don't feel about debt the way other's here have posted. I know its not just 54k its much more, and residency salaries are low, and I want kids. I just can't figure out which is the better choice. I literally change my mind every other hour.

Honestly thank you all for your responses! In my opinion it's always easier to make a choice when it's not your choice to make which is why I think it's important to see what an unbiased decision looks like.

I don't see myself deciding until the last minute. If you're anything like me you'll understand - I over think and make pro-con lists and excel spreadsheets with my potential debt and the choice gets harder by the minute.

I guess it'll be what number of debt $ sucks more than Rochester that tips the scale.

If you don't think one can pay down 54,000 in debt in a 250K/year salary, you are just wrong. And it will not require "eating ramen noodles" for the rest of your life. Have you ever heard of a mortgage? Or undergrad student debt?

You could literally live as if you made 150,000 (multiple times the median income) for 1 year and throw the rest at the debt and be done with it.

I have a mortgage, and undergraduate debt, medical school debt - do you?

All the people saying 'It's only $54K' are missing the point that it is not. That $54K is in addition to what the debt would be incurred by going to a cheaper school. That number that expands as interest compounds and the length of repayment extends.

You are looking at that number and thinking it's doable. Add undergraduate debt, and the amount of money you lose in by paying this additional debt versus saving for retirement, a house, a family, and you'll understand that it's not just $54K, but a lot more than that.

No one knows what the OP plans on specializing in, or where the OP wants to practice, which affects what the OP will make. Can't control for those things, can control for tuition debt.