Jefferson vs Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iatetheworm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So supposing you were torn between Jefferson and UVM, which would you pick and why?

A word about cost: I'm not a VT resident so UVM would be more expensive than Jefferson, but we're not talking huge $$$ (prob 5k/yr max). I've lived in one of these places and spent decent time in the other...it appears that cost of living will be roughly equal at both schools.

My general thoughts:

Jefferson...

Pros:
+Good aspects to the pre-clinical years. I love the block classes and consistent test schedule...student's rave that this keeps stress low
+Great quality and range of clinical sites...major hospitals in the inner city, rural areas, and everything in between
+I know Philly. I like Philly.
+They offer TONS of residency programs/fellowships...good for advising or possibly applying to one of them down the road

Possible Cons:
-The pre-clinical curriculum appears to be mostly lecture...will this make it tougher to engage the material? Will I fall asleep? (mostly kidding on this one)
-Need to drive for some clinical rotations
-The class has ~250 students...is it easy to get lost in the shuffle?

Vermont...

Pros:
+Integrated curriculum seems pretty cool--good way to engage the material and neat use of technology
+Burlington offers a lot for a small city...and GREAT outdoorsy stuff
+ Clinical rotations begin half way through the second year

Possible Cons:
-There's only about 1.5 years from starting school to Step 1...can I become comfortable with/absorb the material I need to know in this time?
-Burlington ain't Philly in terms of dating and entertainment/cultural options...will I go crazy as a med student since the class is somewhat small? (I know I won't have much time to enjoy these but still...)
-UVM's pt. population not nearly as diverse as Jefferson's. They just lost Maine Medical Center...though they are working on getting another major hospital this seems like a big wild card…Fletcher Allen is only major hospital right now

Huh, after writing these points out, it seems that I'm more attracted to Jefferson's clinical experience but prefer UVM's pre-clinical experience. Not sure which aspect is more important...any thoughts from current med students or docs out there?

Obviously both schools are great and can get me to where I want to go, but, with all of the above in mind, which school would you pick and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...this is interesting. You're right, bc of the incredible costs of these schools, the 5k difference fades away. Another thing to consider about that though would be cost-of-living. I would imagine it's significantly cheaper in VT.

Having said that I think this problem can largely be thought of as a big city vs. small town question, as all other variables are held reasonably constant, including opportunities post-med school. Which would you rather live in for the next few years??

Good luck!

I think both are good schools (although I am more biased towards Vermont because I loved the school when I visited and also because they gave me some love...unlike Jeff, I was hated upon :(). Anyway, in my humble opinion Vermont seems a little more geared towards the rural population (although Jeff has a rural track too!). And as you mentioned there is the VIC, which I like infinitely more than the block method.

With respect to the location. Having lived in Philly during college I would say its much more fun than Burlington from the social aspect...but then again, you are going to medical school, so throw that out the window :laugh:. Jeff has a really great location in the city though, dead center of it.

In any case, whichever you choose, you will be happy with, at least thats my take.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks to everybody for their great advice and insight!

soccergl, in one of your posts you mention that uvm will align with other hospitals including a different hospital in maine--i'm pretty familiar with the hospitals in maine and think i have a good guess as to which one it might be. however, has the school given you a sense (city, state or region) of where the other hospitals they are considering are located? if you don't feel comfortable posting this on the forum please feel free to PM.

also, is there a reason why i can't find this thread when i search for it? i was only able to get to it by scrolling through the "school-specific" discussions section...not a good way for people to notice the thread.

thanks again everybody--keep the thoughts/comments coming!

thanks to everybody for their great advice and insight!

soccergl, in one of your posts you mention that uvm will align with other hospitals including a different hospital in maine--i'm pretty familiar with the hospitals in maine and think i have a good guess as to which one it might be. however, has the school given you a sense (city, state or region) of where the other hospitals they are considering are located? if you don't feel comfortable posting this on the forum please feel free to PM.

also, is there a reason why i can't find this thread when i search for it? i was only able to get to it by scrolling through the "school-specific" discussions section...not a good way for people to notice the thread.

thanks again everybody--keep the thoughts/comments coming!

I thought someone told me at the school that they were looking at Eastern Maine? Then again, I could be totally making that up...I'd call and ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.