Full ride to U Toledo, or top tier school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue beard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, I am a longtime member but I made a new profile in order to protect my anonymity. Before I start, let me just say that I know this kind of post can be annoying or sound like bragging, which is not what I'm trying to do. I understand that I am VERY lucky and grateful to even have this sort of decision to make.

I have been offered a full ride to University of Toledo, and I have also been accepted to a couple of "top tier" schools which have programs/locations/philosophies that I really like. To complicate things further, I have also been offered a 50% ride to one of the "top tier" schools. I don't necessarily plan on going into an ultra-competitive specialty, but I want to keep my options open... Obviously I need to wait for the fin aid packages from my other acceptances before making my final decision, but is a full ride instead of a 50% ride (or whatever other offers I get) worth spending four years somewhere where I don't think I would be as happy? If I want to eventually go into health care advocacy and international work, is the prestige worth paying for? Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

And before I get flamed for whining on here, let me reiterate that I am not trying to complain! Circumstances have conspired very fortunately for me and I am extremely grateful for the choices I have as well as for all the great advice SDN has offered me.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, without knowing the names of the top tier programs, or how much you like/dislike Toledo, I think that you should go to the top-tier school with the 50% ride if you feel like you will like it significantly more. If you didn't feel like Toledo was a place where you would be comfortable or happy, then I don't think you should go there even if it is free. 50% is a nice chunk and you could get away with not having a massive amount of debt. I'm sure others will say take the money and run, but I think happiness is really important. I would definitely try and do a second look, maybe spend a night with a student or something like that to help make a decision.

Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I say take the 50% RIDE assuming a 40k-50k tuition per year. In four years, you'll have spent approximately 100K for a more worthwhile (b/c you like it), enjoyable, and prestigious program! I also assume in these calculations that COA living differences would be negligible or approximately the same.

In short, you're spending about half as much as most medical students (assuming non-scholarship) do to attend a reputable program and you're getting a lot out of it--overall happiness, reputation, and lifestyle...

Best of luck!

Free is free. The lowest debt is best, unless you have some long-term plan to seek a specialty/fellowship that will be only served by a more expensive school with connections or an academic department that does not exist at Toledo, go with free.

top tier. but then again, it is hard to say without knowing exactly what school(s) you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.