EVMS Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the books, look on Amazon. For the dissector, the 12th edition (which is listed in the handout from the second look weekend) is about $5.00 used. By the way, 4th edition of Moore "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" is about $6-8 there. There will be about $4 in shipping per book but you still come out WAY ahead.

Just to be safe, order from an established seller - positive feedback on more than 50 transactions.

I don't know where to get a dissecting kit - but I'm sure that you can find them online for a good price also. If I find one, I'll let you know.

-r

Members don't see this ad.

Best place to get those? Are the dissecting supplies in the bookstore, and not way over priced?

I think you can get a free dissecting kit if you join the AMA
and your big sib will probably give you their old dissector. I know I am giving mine away.

Hey Kevin it's Murph. How's the summer going?

anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't not having a car on of the things that would allow an M1 to get special consideration for a local LGM??

BTW, nice avatar

Hey Murph, glad you like the Avatar, from my mortal kombat days. Yeah I know some people who put that on there request for LGM that they didn't have transportation to an offsite LGM. I know that they said that was not a guarantee that you would get one close by though, but I don't think there were any problems this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best place to get those? Are the dissecting supplies in the bookstore, and not way over priced?

Yeah like Murph said if you join AMA you get a free dissecting kit (at least last year) with your membership, so that's how most people got there's. I just got my scrubs from Wal mart. You'll get some stuff from your big sib also. I know I'm giving mine all my old books, but I didn't exactly take care of my dissecting kit too well, so I don't have that to hand down. But like murph said if any of you guys have any questions you can email me too.

[email protected] good luck and see you in august!

For the books, look on Amazon. For the dissector, the 12th edition (which is listed in the handout from the second look weekend) is about $5.00 used. By the way, 4th edition of Moore "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" is about $6-8 there. There will be about $4 in shipping per book but you still come out WAY ahead.

Just to be safe, order from an established seller - positive feedback on more than 50 transactions.

I don't know where to get a dissecting kit - but I'm sure that you can find them online for a good price also. If I find one, I'll let you know.

-r

One thing about books. I bought the Moore Clinically Oriented Anatomy book and only used it about two weeks. I know wanting to buy books is tempting, but alot of them you just may not need. That being said I'm not the biggest book reader and you get a syllabus at the beginning of each class with all the notes and you can fill in the gaps with books if you like, and all books are on reserve in the library to use. You will not need a book for MMCB. Histo asks some questions from the just the book but not many. Anatomy, I'd definitely get an atlas, the dissector is good also. The main thing is I personally didn't have time to do all the readings anyway and relied mainly on my notes and the syllabus (and wikipedia), where most if not all of the information you need comes from. Most of the professors will tell you that the book should mainly be used as a reference when you don't understand something as opposed to reading every word.

I haven't been on here in a while, but started looking at the financial aid stuff you all have been talking about and about freaked out! I didn't know a parent had to sign the FAFSA because the FAFSA application didn't prompt it like it did EVERY other year. Anyways, I've done that now, but I emailed the office and got this reply which I thought you all might be interested in...

We are still in the process of verifying all files. It is correct that parents do need to sign the FAFSA if you provided their information.

We are rolling letters and notifications out as we can to all students. – It is great that you have made the update. Thank you in advance. – We are not necessarily holding awards, but all FAFSA’s need to be signed by semester end.

Expect to receive your award letter within the next couple of weeks.

Best regards,

Kim

COUPLE OF WEEKS!!! I'm so sick of them telling me wrong information about getting the letters out July 1, etc etc

how did you update your fafsa to add the parent's signature? it never prompted me either and i'd like to go ahead and get it done if they'll need it anyway

it took me quite a while to figure it out myself, hence why i originally didn't think I needed to do it at all.

Go to fafsa.ed.gov

under the big green number 2 there is an option that says "Sign Electronically with your PIN"

it asks you which year's fafsa

then it asks if you are signing as a parent or as a student- pick parent

then it asks for the student info

then you can sign it with the pin :)

thanks so much! it was super easy with your instructions...just never would've occurred to me that the signature was necessary w/o everyone's posts

yeah I hear ya.

so who else is feeling like they should have gone to their instate school after getting the email about the tuition being raised to freaking $42,218 :( I'm going to be soooooo poor. At least I really freaking like EVMS

Lets party away any extra money I have okay?!

yeah I hear ya.

so who else is feeling like they should have gone to their instate school after getting the email about the tuition being raised to freaking $42,218 :( I'm going to be soooooo poor. At least I really freaking like EVMS

Lets party away any extra money I have okay?!

Yeah, the up'ed tuition was definitely a hit in the gut. I mean, it's kind of expected, but it seems like that should have been voted in a long time ago... Maybe that's why award letters come out so late, they don't vote tuition increases in until June!

I got a follow-up e-mail saying that tuition was actually increased only to $41 819. (That $399 will go far, I'm sure!)

Hi,

Did the office send out any indication of when the fees are due?

In addition could anyone tell me more about norfolk, about how safe the city is, crime etc.

Congrats to everyone who got in and hope to see you in august. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Did the office send out any indication of when the fees are due?

In addition could anyone tell me more about norfolk, about how safe the city is, crime etc.

Congrats to everyone who got in and hope to see you in august. :D

Well, Norfolk is one of those cities with good and bad areas. If you read back over the posts, some mention places to avoid. Generally, in ghent, you're in a nice area, but straying into outlying areas can get a little hairy. Every city, Norfolk, VB, Chesapeake has areas that are better than others. Feel free to PM about specific neighborhoods. I don't know if anyone else can pipe up with info, my knowledge is limited to Norfolk and VB. Oh, and no idea about fee due dates.

Well, Norfolk is one of those cities with good and bad areas. If you read back over the posts, some mention places to avoid. Generally, in ghent, you're in a nice area, but straying into outlying areas can get a little hairy. Every city, Norfolk, VB, Chesapeake has areas that are better than others. Feel free to PM about specific neighborhoods. I don't know if anyone else can pipe up with info, my knowledge is limited to Norfolk and VB. Oh, and no idea about fee due dates.

Micro hit it right on. I have never been to a place that varied so much street to street. I live in Portsmouth in a nice area (simonsdale). You really have to check it out yourself if you are not in Ghent.

Micro hit it right on. I have never been to a place that varied so much street to street. I live in Portsmouth in a nice area (simonsdale). You really have to check it out yourself if you are not in Ghent.

Just keep in mind the tunnel traffic for those of you that consider Portsmouth. It may effect your commute.

Just keep in mind the tunnel traffic for those of you that consider Portsmouth. It may effect your commute.

so true. The midtown is a nightmare during rush hour

Is anyone here doing the dual degree program?

Is anyone here doing the dual degree program?

I'm not, but I am just finishing the regular MPH program. Are you doing it or have any questions? I know, though unadvertised, they will be extending the MPH program another year to 3. Why? No idea, but that's the plan! PM for any ?'s, I'll do my best.

Hi everyone ... I'll be a med masters student this year, still looking for a roommate. I'd like to live in Ghent, if possible. Let me know if you still need a roommate, too!

Has ANYONE gotten their financial aid stuff yet for the incoming MD2011 class? I'm starting to get very frustrated by this!!!

Hi everyone,

I just found out that I got accepted to evms (got off the waitlist...woohooo!!) So does anyone know how the academic calendar is set up and how long our christmas breaks, etc are? I looked at the school's website, but it didn't have a complete calendar. Thanks people :)

I still haven't gotten my financial aid package either. I went to the office last week and they said that they hadn't sent any out yet but we should get them before August 1. I'm just hoping we get them BEFORE school starts.

I had the opportunity to spend an evening last week with 5-6 current students from first to third year and I think we are all in for a rude awakening. They all agreed that the financial aid office has been a mess the past two years after the previous director of fin aid left. They informed me that I should be very happy if I received my letter by the middle to end of August!!! As for academic calender and things of that nature again they thought the administration either has terrible communication skills or "flies by the seat of their pants." They have all come to the conclusion that fighting the system was futile and that it is best to sit back and take things as they come.

I am sorry that I am the one to pass on this information. The good news was that they were all very happy with their decision to come to EVMS and thought most classes and fellow students were great.

Are any of you out there in touch with incoming students at other medical schools? If so are they having similar experiences regarding financial aid, etc.?

I had the opportunity to spend an evening last week with 5-6 current students from first to third year and I think we are all in for a rude awakening. They all agreed that the financial aid office has been a mess the past two years after the previous director of fin aid left. They informed me that I should be very happy if I received my letter by the middle to end of August!!! As for academic calender and things of that nature again they thought the administration either has terrible communication skills or "flies by the seat of their pants." They have all come to the conclusion that fighting the system was futile and that it is best to sit back and take things as they come.

I am sorry that I am the one to pass on this information. The good news was that they were all very happy with their decision to come to EVMS and thought most classes and fellow students were great.

Are any of you out there in touch with incoming students at other medical schools? If so are they having similar experiences regarding financial aid, etc.?

It must come with being an administrator at EVMS. The MPH program is just as disorganized - just trust me on this one. I guess that means we shouldn't hold our breath for getting any idea about orientation? Any idea if the White Coat Ceremony is a family-orientated thing or just students? I know it ranges depending on the school, never thought to ask current students.

I haven't gotten my financial aid letter either. I've stooped to lopping off and freezing assorted body parts so that I can sell them at short notice to pay tuition. (At first, I was lopping off other people's parts, but people won't come near me anymore so I'm reduced to trimming my own toenails and removing my own kidneys...I'm not sure how long I can keep this up - I'm starting to look distinctly odd)

As for disorganization, this sort of thing has occurred at every single academic institution that I've ever been associated with. I don't think it's specific to EVMS, although I'm sure that the particular patterns of disorganization are unique. Oh well, as my wife says, "Shut up and color - we'll get to you".

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing all of you in August. I'll be the really short guy with no fingers, no kidneys, no lungs and no heart.

:D

Well since EVMS boasts the fact that students have a lot of input into how things are done, I feel like as a class once we get to EVMS we need to speak up about this financial aid thing and try to help them find some kind of solution so that next year's class doesn't have this problem. I don't know exactly how since I have no idea what their freaking problem is, but I'm sure there has to be a more efficient and time effective manner of putting together these packages!!!

Really...I'm just pissed. I probably will be enraged until I get my package then not really care anymore since I not have 60, 000 dollars to fund my life for the next 9 months or so.

Bah I just hope that once we get stuff we aren't screwed and have issues paying tuition when they need us to. I mean I don't really want to jump into deciding about private lenders either, but currently I don't even know if I will need too much from private lenders!

Well since EVMS boasts the fact that students have a lot of input into how things are done, I feel like as a class once we get to EVMS we need to speak up about this financial aid thing and try to help them find some kind of solution so that next year's class doesn't have this problem. I don't know exactly how since I have no idea what their freaking problem is, but I'm sure there has to be a more efficient and time effective manner of putting together these packages!!!

Really...I'm just pissed. I probably will be enraged until I get my package then not really care anymore since I not have 60, 000 dollars to fund my life for the next 9 months or so.

Bah I just hope that once we get stuff we aren't screwed and have issues paying tuition when they need us to. I mean I don't really want to jump into deciding about private lenders either, but currently I don't even know if I will need too much from private lenders!

Despite the disorganization, they are at least understanding that it was their fault that it takes so long to get us these letters. Our late fees last in the MPH program were waived because we received our letters all of a day before the tuition date, AFTER classes had started. It was craziness to say the least. Not sure about lenders, I'll probably stick with the same one I've had the last two years... or I might resort to rales idea....

Hello Everyone,

August 13th is coming soon... for those of you who are still looking for a place to live, I will be vacating my 1BR/1BA apartment in Pembroke Towers at the end of July. It is a spacious 9th floor unit with a parquet floor living room, newly carpeted bedroom, full kitchen w/refrigerator, oven, gas range. The bathroom has a marble sink counter, large mirror, and a shower/tub. There is also a large balcony with a wonderful view of the Hague and EVMS from the 9th floor!

Rent is $865/month and includes private parking, electricity, gas, AC/Heat, water, and waste disposal (no more utility bills!). For those unfamiliar with the area, Pembroke Towers offers the luxury of a roll-out-of-bed-into-class lifestyle with the hospital/campus right across the street. The building is incredibly safe and is staffed 24hours by a desk attendant. There are a number of EVMS students in the building.

If you are interested PM me or just call 757-753-0165
Pictures available

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the deferring policy is at evms? I just got accepted, but I might need to take more time off for my job. Is all that information in the acceptance letter? I haven't received the letter yet. Good day everyone.

Despite the disorganization, they are at least understanding that it was their fault that it takes so long to get us these letters. Our late fees last in the MPH program were waived because we received our letters all of a day before the tuition date, AFTER classes had started. It was craziness to say the least. Not sure about lenders, I'll probably stick with the same one I've had the last two years... or I might resort to rales idea....

HAHAHAHAHAHA

We're going to be the class of 2011....without fingers, toes, kidneys, lungs, or anything else worth selling. Good doctors indeed :)

good to know I'm not the only one anxiously awaiting something in my mailbox everyday. Maybe they can give us a break on our tuition if we bring our own body parts to anatomy lab.

Still nothing in the mail for me either. No financial aid, no schedule, nothing. I have to admit, other schools are much more on top f things than this, which is somewhat dissappointing. Drexel, for instance, had all of my financial aid processed and to me withen a few weeks after I had been accepted (way back in the Spring). I also received a detailed schedule and other information in several mailings from them after that. Of course, I am still glad that I am going to EVMS, but it is just unfortunate that they may actually be losing some candidates because many applicants wait to compare financial aid packages/scholarships to make their decisions.

Ah well. Hopefully we'll know something soon. Does anyone know if/when we tell them our sizes for our white coats? Or is that done during orientation? do we have classes during orientation week? Or do they start after our ceremony the following Monday? I don't even have a list of books or anything. I'm definitely no gunner, but I would kinda like to look over the relevant material for the first dissection before we actually get together and start cutting, for instance. Anyone else feel similarly?

I'm definitely no gunner, but I would kinda like to look over the relevant material for the first dissection before we actually get together and start cutting, for instance. Anyone else feel similarly?

There are only a few dissection manuals out there for medical schools to use. Just find out which one it is and buy it on Amazon or half.com, they should be pretty inexpensive.

When I followed Grants in dissection, it basically took you through a guided tour of starting with skinning, where to cut, etc. However, your instructor might deviate (sometimes a lot) from what the dissector says so it might not help a lot to prepare ahead of time. Basically know what structures you need to memorize and get them studied before you cut, goes a long way in making the dissection go smoothly.

hooray! check your email...the orientation schedule was sent!

hooray! check your email...the orientation schedule was sent!

Awesome! I received it too. I had heard from someone that we were going down to NC on a retreat (over the weekend maybe?) Did I misunderstand this or does this happen after the first week?

Awesome! I received it too. I had heard from someone that we were going down to NC on a retreat (over the weekend maybe?) Did I misunderstand this or does this happen after the first week?

Hey guys, congratulations again. Just a few comments financial aid definitely is an issue at our school. This new director took over a few years ago and I don't know what the issue is but its just late. As far as money you can get an emergency loan until you get your award. I think I got $1500 in emergency loans before my check came in and they just subtract it from your award. They are very good about that, you get the check in a few days. For some reason financial aid is the broken department. And if you don't like the way something is run or operates push to get it changed. The administration is very open to student issues. Our class complained about everything (sometimes not too constructively) and we've gotten a lot of things changed for the better that will help you guys and other classes to come. But I still love it here and yes we do have a fall and winter retreat. Last year fall retreat consisted of renting the spirit of norfolk harbor cruise boat (pretty big 3 decks plus observation) for the school and a day at the beach with jetskiing and outdoor activities. Winter retreat was in Outer banks NC. The school chartered buses and rented out a hotel, with food breakfast lunch & dinner there was a poker night and talent show, they rented out a bowling alley it was awesome. And all this is included in your fees (which are taken out of your award amount for fall semester) so no additional money is required (unless you want to buy alcohol). I hope this information helps. If anyone has any other questions feel free to email me [email protected]

-Kevin

Hello all, I'm moving into a 1BR at Pembroke at the beginning of August (one of those late acceptance peeps!) I ran into Scott in the hall and he told me about this site. :) Jessica

Hello all, I'm moving into a 1BR at Pembroke at the beginning of August (one of those late acceptance peeps!) I ran into Scott in the hall and he told me about this site. :) Jessica

Welcome and congrats!!!! Pembroke is a cool area. Definitely lots to do, and plenty of shopping. :)

With all the waiting for financial aid, does anyone know if they've updated the student budget for next year? I'm looking to finalize apartment arrangements this week (yes - I realize it's getting late) and don't want to spend more money than I'll be getting in loan checks.

All I know is that I received the tuition bill in the mail today, complete with warnings about late fees and due dates. I guess sending the bill to us is more of a priority then sending the aid package. :laugh: They will have a hard time getting the former paid without the latter though ;)

It will all work out though. They are nice people in the office, their system is just needs some tweaking.

They told me not to worry about any late fees; they would waive them since the aid packages are so late. This was last Friday when I called and they said the packages would be mailed in the next 2-3 weeks. Meaning end of July or beginning of August.

I think every time we call that estimate will just get pushed back. What is so involved that these things take so long to complete, in all seriousness? They've had our stuff since early spring. Oh well. Less than a month til we start!

Does anyone think we'll start with gross lab that first week? The sched said just lectures, but I wonder if that was all-inclusive.

I think every time we call that estimate will just get pushed back. What is so involved that these things take so long to complete, in all seriousness? They've had our stuff since early spring. Oh well. Less than a month til we start!

Does anyone think we'll start with gross lab that first week? The sched said just lectures, but I wonder if that was all-inclusive.

Yes, I have heard that the first gross lab is on Wed (after an hour of lecture). We will need to be ready cut right off the bat :eek:

Well, since I've never actually qualified as "cool" in my entire life, I'm more interested in cheap - they're going to get pitched at the end of the gross class anyway.

Check the closeouts at allheart.com. I got some cheap scrubs there for my clinicals in paramedic class and just ordered a set of navy blue cheapies which will, no doubt, make me look like a complete dork. Oh well...

-r

If you are in the Norfolk area and you want some cheap scrubs, go to Gallo and you can get a full set for $9.99.