EVMS Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeh, I hear ya. That's why I put "cool" in quotes :laugh: It's hard to pull off cool as a pre-med. Something about those short coats makes us look like we should be driving an ice-cream truck or handing out yum-yums. But MD's are inherently cool, well .... just because. Just think, only 4 more years -----> :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeh, I hear ya. That's why I put "cool" in quotes :laugh: It's hard to pull off cool as a pre-med. Something about those short coats makes us look like we should be driving an ice-cream truck or handing out yum-yums. But MD's are inherently cool, well .... just because. Just think, only 4 more years -----> :cool:

If something's "cool" or fashionable, I don't think I'm allowed to wear it.

So the tuition bill I received today said that we can check out details of our bills online. Am I correct in assuming that we won't get a username and password for Synapse until we show up at orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone help me out here?

I visited the EVMS financial aid office a few weeks ago. The office staff told me not to secure loans until I receive my financial aid package.

Is this the right answer? Isn't waiting until "the beginning of August" going to be cutting it close? When people refer to "waived late fees," what are the speaking about?

Thanks so much, guys. I look forward to meeting you all in August. I'm nervous and excited, but I think we'll do well together. I really look forward to learning with you all.

Can someone help me out here?

I visited the EVMS financial aid office a few weeks ago. The office staff told me not to secure loans until I receive my financial aid package.

Is this the right answer? Isn't waiting until "the beginning of August" going to be cutting it close? When people refer to "waived late fees," what are the speaking about?

Thanks so much, guys. I look forward to meeting you all in August. I'm nervous and excited, but I think we'll do well together. I really look forward to learning with you all.

i just may be making this up, so correct me if im wrong.

what financial aid is most likely talking about is securing private loans, which typically have higher interest rates and aren't as 'borrower-friendly' as gov't-regulated stafford, perkins, grad plus, etc. loans. Unless you're really in a bind (and even then the school will offer you an emergency loan, if you really need it) you shouldn't have any reason to get private loans when you have the option of just waiting a bit longer and getting the Stafford, Perkins, Grad PLUS loans (which are contingent on the school creating and approving a budget and your enrollment, so you can't just ball out on your own and snag your own Stafford). Mid-August isn't too late from the school's point of view, because they can waive late fees and due dates since it's their problem; you won't be punished by the school. The only issue you may worry about is your rent and other living costs that you may not have money to pay for; in this case you should contact EVMS first and explain your situation and inquire about an emergency loan. What the financial aid dept is talking about is that you shouldn't panic and run out and grab 50k in private loans because its a raw deal when you can just wait a bit and get the govt-regulated ones.

hi everybody.... i just got accepted to evms TODAY!!!! anyone have any advice on housing/moving to the area/what to expect? i'm from massachusetts... i'm leaving for a week long vacation tomorrow, and when i get back i will have a week and a half to figure out my life!!! evms here i come!
:biglove:

hi everybody.... i just got accepted to evms TODAY!!!! anyone have any advice on housing/moving to the area/what to expect? i'm from massachusetts... i'm leaving for a week long vacation tomorrow, and when i get back i will have a week and a half to figure out my life!!! evms here i come!

Yay, a fellow New Englander... where in Mass? Born and raised in Manchester, NH here. Your best bet is probably checking out the Ghent area, so you're close to school- unless you're married and your spouse is working in Dam Neck and you have to compromise in the middle.... Look at the synapse portal on the EVMS website, check out craigslist or stuff like rent.com to find places. Good luck and see you on the 13th!

Congratulations! We'll see you in a few weeks.

i just may be making this up, so correct me if im wrong.

what financial aid is most likely talking about is securing private loans, which typically have higher interest rates and aren't as 'borrower-friendly' as gov't-regulated stafford, perkins, grad plus, etc. loans. Unless you're really in a bind (and even then the school will offer you an emergency loan, if you really need it) you shouldn't have any reason to get private loans when you have the option of just waiting a bit longer and getting the Stafford, Perkins, Grad PLUS loans (which are contingent on the school creating and approving a budget and your enrollment, so you can't just ball out on your own and snag your own Stafford). Mid-August isn't too late from the school's point of view, because they can waive late fees and due dates since it's their problem; you won't be punished by the school. The only issue you may worry about is your rent and other living costs that you may not have money to pay for; in this case you should contact EVMS first and explain your situation and inquire about an emergency loan. What the financial aid dept is talking about is that you shouldn't panic and run out and grab 50k in private loans because its a raw deal when you can just wait a bit and get the govt-regulated ones.

I'm confused here. Doesn't the financial aid package contain information we need to secure government-regulated loans? Maybe I misunderstood the financial aid office, but I thought I has to wait for their package before I could secure any loan.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

I'm confused here. Doesn't the financial aid package contain information we need to secure government-regulated loans? Maybe I misunderstood the financial aid office, but I thought I has to wait for their package before I could secure any loan.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

You only need the school financial aid package to secure federal loans or federal guaranteed loans. To secure private loans you only have to fill out an application and be approved based on your credit worthiness. These loans typically do not offer tax-deductible interest and have large origination fees, making the true cost of these loans higher then the gov't offered or gov't guaranteed loans.

If you can try and wait for the school aid package it will save you money!

I will try and help when I can on financial aid stuff as I have a degree in Finance and worked as a financial consultant for about 6 years.

Are any of you interested in meeting up again this week or next? I think it would be great to see you all again before school starts, and hopefully meet some more of you as well. :)

Are any of you interested in meeting up again this week or next? I think it would be great to see you all again before school starts, and hopefully meet some more of you as well. :)

Monday nights there is a place on 21st street called Taphouse Grill at Ghent. They have $2.50 drafts and pretty good appetizers and pizza.

Anyone interested tomorrow night?? :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
You only need the school financial aid package to secure federal loans or federal guaranteed loans. To secure private loans you only have to fill out an application and be approved based on your credit worthiness. These loans typically do not offer tax-deductible interest and have large origination fees, making the true cost of these loans higher then the gov't offered or gov't guaranteed loans.

If you can try and wait for the school aid package it will save you money!

I will try and help when I can on financial aid stuff as I have a degree in Finance and worked as a financial consultant for about 6 years.

Carp,

Thanks so, so much for clarifying this for me. The biggest thing I'm nervous about, at this point, is securing the gov't loans. I will definitely wait for my package. Thanks for the help!

Re: Tap House Grill tonight...

Just got back in town, but you bet! If you want to meet there tonight, I'm game. My schedule is open this week - any time is good.

-r

Re: Tap House Grill tonight...

Just got back in town, but you bet! If you want to meet there tonight, I'm game. My schedule is open this week - any time is good.

-r

Anyone else for tonight? What time? I'm free all afternoon & evening.

Have fun guys, Ill be stuck in class listening to thesis presentations. Fun stuff. Enjoy!!

5:30 works for me. I'll meet you there.

-r

aw I wish I could come!! I won't be down in Norfolk for at least another week. But when I do get down there I def want to go hang out before classes start!!!!

5:30 works for me. I'll meet you there.

-r

is there some method for recognizing each other or am i just going to have to introduce myself to everyone there?

And so you know, this was just posted on the facebook group for the class of 2011 by Pat, the president of the class of 2010:

"DINNER? 5 pm Monday AW Shucks all you can eat crab Legs: A few of us (2010ers) are getting together. Come on out... happy hour goes till 7. AW Shucks is on 2200 Colonial (22nd street to the right of Colonial Ave) any problems finding it, PM me."

And so you know, this was just posted on the facebook group for the class of 2011 by Pat, the president of the class of 2010:

"DINNER? 5 pm Monday AW Shucks all you can eat crab Legs: A few of us (2010ers) are getting together. Come on out... happy hour goes till 7. AW Shucks is on 2200 Colonial (22nd street to the right of Colonial Ave) any problems finding it, PM me (edited out phone number)."

Do we all want to meet somewhere and walk to one of these places? Maybe outside the library? It really doesn't matter to me I am just looking forward to getting to know everyone before the fun really starts!

That's fine with me. I'll be outside the library (near the fountain) at 5:30.

-r

For Phishfood -

When we meet tonight, I'll be the average looking, middle aged guy with middling length, unremarkable hair and average height. I'll be wearing normal everyday blue jeans, faded to a medium color, not too faded, not too new. I'll have on a T-shirt in a muted green color without any unique slogans or symbols and running shoes which are moderately well used but not worn out.

You should have no trouble finding me. :D

(the fact that I'll be sitting outside the EVMS library will probably narrow things down a bit...)

I'm going to need to set up cable tv and internet in my apartment and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what companies are good in the norfolk area. Moving from Maryland, I'm a bit clueless about what goes on down there.

cox bundled internet and cable. they have a quasi-monopoly on the area. it's a little less than 100/mo.

verizon also has internet and cable, not bundled. i think they may be a little cheaper than cox.

Sorry that I wasn't able to meet up with you all. :( I didn't expect plans to get organized so quickly! ;) Hopefully there will be more opportunities. See you soon!

Should we try and set something up for next week. Maybe Mon or Tues evening we could all meet somewhere

I might be down a bit next week, not totally moved in (by ANY means) but I could crash on my own floor if we go out :)

cox bundled internet and cable. they have a quasi-monopoly on the area. it's a little less than 100/mo.

verizon also has internet and cable, not bundled. i think they may be a little cheaper than cox.

Yeah, it gets pricey, but if you're not huge into TV like my husband and I, you can get limited cable for about 10 bucks a month. We get all the majors, TBS, and AMC. For us, it works, except when the Tour de France is on. Oh well. We also use the lowest speed internet and keep our total to 42/mon. It works with our budget!

Oh, count me if we have a gathering on Tuesday!

Should we try and set something up for next week. Maybe Mon or Tues evening we could all meet somewhere

Sounds good to me too. I'm available either night.

-r

i can make the trip down at any time, i do have a bunch of stuff to move still, so whatever is good for me.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? I called the office yesterday and SUPPOSEDLY they have started sending them out daily.

I spoke with someone in the fin aid office yesterday. They explained to me that the director of fin aid has been dealing with a family emergency but I was assured that as long as our files were complete, all late fees will be waived. She also said that we should be receiving our award letters over the next week or two. After we receive our letters check will be issued in about 5-7 days.

Hello everyone, anybody know when classes start? I've heard dissecting the 15th and starting on the 20th too. Just wondering because my family is visiting Norfolk that week for the white coat ceremony and it's going to be quite difficult to study. :)

Classes do start on the 15th. I was just searching the public folders under my evms email (if you're a student from a previous program and you still have access check out pubic folders and M1/M2 sched.). Anyway, our afternoon on the 15th is...
1300 Intro to Anatomy/Embryo
1400 Superficial back
1500 Gross Lab: Intro to the cadaver
1600 Gross Lab: Superficial Back

Lemme know if you guys want the other days. I hope I'm not spreading rumors and this isn't the right stuff. It's not on Synapse yet...

I hope I'm not spreading rumors and this isn't the right stuff. It's not on Synapse yet...

well i just looked at it and its slated as 2007 so i think you're dead on.

I found a copy of our schedule where you said and I posted Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec as pdf files on the google group page for everyone to look at. It gives exam dates and holidays. Thought you might like them.

Does anyone know where we can get a textbook and supply list?

I found a copy of our schedule where you said and I posted Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec as pdf files on the google group page for everyone to look at. It gives exam dates and holidays. Thought you might like them.

Does anyone know where we can get a textbook and supply list?
i've got the list from last year and i'll post it as a pdf when the internet approves my request to join the group. prolly tomorrow.

Hey guys, AMSA has a great deal this year. If you join AMSA and fill out an application for a credit card (which you could call and cancel immediately afterwards if you want) you get a brand new Netter's Atlas of Anatomy (THE anatomy atlas). AMSA will be at the club fair which is sometime during the first week of school and you can join then.

I forgot to mention that AMSA also does a booksale during the club fair where students sell their old books. You can find some really good deal on textbooks and review books. So you might want to hold off on buying your books. Plus, some of the classes you don't even need to buy the book because you will never use it.

Is everyone still up for some food and drinks tomorrow evening? If so does 5:30pm work in front of the library?

Thanks so much! Any information is very welcome!

I won't be able to make it tomorrow night for drinks but I might be able to do Wednesday depending on how much I get done up here in the next day or so.