EVMS Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got my financial aid package about a week ago

So that's one affirmative, thanks for responding Phishfood. Has everyone else also received their package? I haven't heard anything and I fear this means I'm not receiving any aid? o_O Quel horror.

Also, for any female M1s currently looking for housing/roommate, I'm in the same situation so PM if interested.

So that's one affirmative, thanks for responding Phishfood. Has everyone else also received their package? I haven't heard anything and I fear this means I'm not receiving any aid? o_O Quel horror.

Also, for any female M1s currently looking for housing/roommate, I'm in the same situation so PM if interested.

i should clarify that I'm from the med master program and we had our stuff turned in really really early, in anticipation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orientation starts on Monday, August 13th. The white coat ceremony is on the 17th...and I believe (though I'm not 100% certain) that classes start the following Monday the 20th.

Just to let you know, I still have not received any financial aid info either. So your not alone. Don't worry yet. We can always and ask this coming week. I think that as long as we got everything in on time, we should be OK for at least Stafford Loans.

Another question for somebody, did our FAFSA's only require one parent or both to sign (assuming they are married and filing jointly)? I read somewhere that only one needed to electroninically sign the FAFSA, but now I am starting to wonder ..... :confused:

Thanks.

Another question for somebody, did our FAFSA's only require one parent or both to sign (assuming they are married and filing jointly)? I read somewhere that only one needed to electroninically sign the FAFSA, but now I am starting to wonder ..... :confused:

Thanks.

I was accepted a few weeks ago and have been doing the financial aid forms myself. For those of you who had parents sign the FAFSA, where/when did they do so? The website asked for my PIN, but not my parents'.

I gave up my spot at EVMS today. That should mean good news for a female out-of-stater soon. I hope it's someone on SDN!

I was accepted a few weeks ago and have been doing the financial aid forms myself. For those of you who had parents sign the FAFSA, where/when did they do so? The website asked for my PIN, but not my parents'.

Your parents need to go to the FAFSA website and request their own pin (arrives via email in about 3 days). Then they use it to sign as a parent through the FAFSA website.

Hey guys, you really don't have to start thinking about getting a stethoscope until much later in first semester. They will definitely tell you the exact day you'll need it. Yes, Littman Cardiology III is the one that a lot of people get, but just as many people borrow their sister's old hand-me-down from 1998 and are perfectly fine. Anyhow, half the fun of first year is figuring out these small details, so I'll stop here. Congrats to those accepted!

Your parents need to go to the FAFSA website and request their own pin (arrives via email in about 3 days). Then they use it to sign as a parent through the FAFSA website.

I'm very well versed in the procedure, but there was no place on the FAFSA for my parent's PIN/signature - just for their data. I figured that was normal since I'm no longer a dependant.

Just to let you know, I still have not received any financial aid info either. So your not alone. Don't worry yet. We can always and ask this coming week. I think that as long as we got everything in on time, we should be OK for at least Stafford Loans.

Thanks.

Thanks Phishfood and Haemulon, info definitely appreciated. I submitted my FAFSA back in Jan or Feb, which I thought was fairly early in the fin. aid game. I don't really mind when it comes so long as it comes. When I talked to the fin. aid office, I was told you're not required to put down your parents info, so I didn't to make my life easier. Granted, I won't be considered for the EVMS aid, but we'll see what happens. BTW, I e-mailed Michelle last week and got an out-of-office reply so if anyone tries to e-mail her, she may still be away. I'm sure she needs a break from dealing with pesky students like me! >_< As for the FAFSA parent signature, I would think only one parent signature would be needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone up for another happy hour? Thought maybe this Friday 6/22 or Monday 6/25 any thoughts?

Is anyone up for another happy hour? Thought maybe this Friday 6/22 or Monday 6/25 any thoughts?

I would definitely say count me in, but I'm out of town Friday and working on Monday.... bummer man. Let me know if another date gets tossed out (like 26 or 28....)!

Does anyone know if we can get parking at the school? If so, how much is it per semester? If it's not too much, I might consider living slightly further away. Also, do any current students know about traffic conditions in the morning?

Any current students have any insight about living a few miles from campus? I feel like the only downside to living far away is having to take a cab home after goingout to bars (because I assume most of us will be going around colley/ghent area after exams)

btw ... I'm incredibly excited about next year :)

Does anyone know if we can get parking at the school? If so, how much is it per semester? If it's not too much, I might consider living slightly further away. Also, do any current students know about traffic conditions in the morning?

Any current students have any insight about living a few miles from campus? I feel like the only downside to living far away is having to take a cab home after goingout to bars (because I assume most of us will be going around colley/ghent area after exams)

If I remember correctly from preview weekend, parking at the garage near the school is free. So some students commute from VA Beach, Chesapeake, etc. There is even one who commutes from Newport News.

As for traffic conditions, going from north to south in the morning is really bad on I-64E and on other highways, so if you're looking to live further, look to the south. You don't want to be stuck in rush hour every day. There are a number of students who live a bit further south and commute, so you can definitely look into it. Housing may be cheaper there as well as I know Ghent is on the pricey side.

Hopefully other students can give you feedback on this as well.

parking is free in the parking garage next to the school and at the hospital. you'll get parking decals. traffic is present but not bad in ghent in the mornings. i'd recommend, if you're living 'slightly further away' that you don't live so far that you'd need the interstate, because then it gets ugly; the HRBT, MMBT, midtown and downtown tunnels are horrible in the morning. i know a couple people who did this, but its more common to live further away by just getting a place a few miles outside ghent, nearer ODU. The downsides, other than the bar aspect which does become a pain, are that you're more inclined to skip class because it means driving, and its not as easy to transition between studying at the library and breaks/meals. you'll spend more money for gas, and probably meals because you dont want to drive home from the library every time you're hungry. You may need to get a locker at the school to store stuff in because you dont want to lug all your possessions around with you and you can't just hop back home and drop/pick stuff up on a whim. It'll require a bit more planning in your day, basically.

parking is free in the parking garage next to the school and at the hospital. you'll get parking decals. traffic is present but not bad in ghent in the mornings. i'd recommend, if you're living 'slightly further away' that you don't live so far that you'd need the interstate, because then it gets ugly; the HRBT, MMBT, midtown and downtown tunnels are horrible in the morning. i know a couple people who did this, but its more common to live further away by just getting a place a few miles outside ghent, nearer ODU. The downsides, other than the bar aspect which does become a pain, are that you're more inclined to skip class because it means driving, and its not as easy to transition between studying at the library and breaks/meals. you'll spend more money for gas, and probably meals because you dont want to drive home from the library every time you're hungry. You may need to get a locker at the school to store stuff in because you dont want to lug all your possessions around with you and you can't just hop back home and drop/pick stuff up on a whim. It'll require a bit more planning in your day, basically.

Just to give a bit of a "distance" view on this. I currently live 5 miles from school and that's not a bad commute at all, though, like Phishfood said, you cannot just jump home. However, my husband and I will be moving even farther into Southern VB. It's a location preference. I don't really mind being that far. The commute, at least along 264 W in the AM is not bad since you can take waterside dr. The afternoon's will be a bit more frustrating, but I'll deal. As for taking all your earthly possession and spending more money on food, it's not necessary. You just have to plan. I've been packing a lunch for the last two years, snacks and all, even dinner too on some occasions. It's not that big of a deal and keeps spending down. So really it's a bit of a trade off between convenience and living where you want, but it's all doable. Just my 2 cents...

Please excuse a question from an interloper, but if one lives near the school (Ghent?) is it possible to live without a car? I would be willing to pay a premium rent to avoid the cost of a car...is it possible to live within short and safe walking distance (or bus ride?) to the school? EVMS is a school I am definitely interested in so I look forward to checking it out in the next year or so and following your progress...

I'm interested. Can't do friday (night shift), but monday is fine.

-r

Absolutely!!! I live in Ghent and a car is a total luxury, I might turn it on once a week but usually that is to travel to the beach or something like that. Groceries and restaurants are all a short walk (within 1 mi.) a bike would be a good thing to consider many people use them around the Ghent area.

Please excuse a question from an interloper, but if one lives near the school (Ghent?) is it possible to live without a car? I would be willing to pay a premium rent to avoid the cost of a car...is it possible to live within short and safe walking distance (or bus ride?) to the school? EVMS is a school I am definitely interested in so I look forward to checking it out in the next year or so
its definitely possible to go without a car. I live directly across the street from EVMS and my car is a luxury and I really only use it to visit family and friends. If you're coming from out of the area and all you're really worried about are classmates and school, you don't need a vehicle provided you don't really leave the ghent area; you don't have to live next to the school, you could live a few miles out and take advantage of price decreases in rent and still be able to walk. The more you try to take advantage of rent price by leaving the ghent area for outer downtown norfolk (like around ODU), however, a car becomes more and more necessary and you're sacrificing a bit of safety.

following your progress...

???

Orientation starts on Monday, August 13th. The white coat ceremony is on the 17th...and I believe (though I'm not 100% certain) that classes start the following Monday the 20th.

Hello everyone, I'm glad you all are all excited about evms, I'll be an M2 next year and I love it. I just wanted to clarify that classes start the Wednesday after orientation (i.e. 2 days before white coat ceremony). And our anatomy instructor Dr. Goodmurphy expects you all to be ready to disect in lab that day, so I want to give you all fair warning. If anybody has any questions let me know. I did the whole commuter thing last year from virginia beach, but will be living in hague club starting in August. Look forward to seein you guys!

its definitely possible to go without a car. I live directly across the street from EVMS and my car is a luxury and I really only use it to visit family and friends. If you're coming from out of the area and all you're really worried about are classmates and school, you don't need a vehicle provided you don't really leave the ghent area; you don't have to live next to the school, you could live a few miles out and take advantage of price decreases in rent and still be able to walk. The more you try to take advantage of rent price by leaving the ghent area for outer downtown norfolk (like around ODU), however, a car becomes more and more necessary and you're sacrificing a bit of safety.

The only thing you may need a car for is LGM (longitudinal generalist mentorship) which you start 2nd semester 1st year, where you work with an MD in the community taking histories and physical exam stuff, and there all over the area (mine is in Suffolk), some were lucky to get ghent family practice. You'll need transportation to get to and from there.

any updates on people receiving financial aid packages or schedules?

any updates on people receiving financial aid packages or schedules?

I spoke with someone in the financial aid office this week and was told that packages will be mailed by the end of this month. But then again in April I was told we would have the packages by the 1st week in June by the same person so who really knows.

I spoke with someone in the financial aid office this week and was told that packages will be mailed by the end of this month. But then again in April I was told we would have the packages by the 1st week in June by the same person so who really knows.

Yeah, it was the same way last year. We received our packages in the MPH program, the day or two after classes started- really helpful, huh?

The only thing you may need a car for is LGM (longitudinal generalist mentorship) which you start 2nd semester 1st year, where you work with an MD in the community taking histories and physical exam stuff, and there all over the area (mine is in Suffolk), some were lucky to get ghent family practice. You'll need transportation to get to and from there.

Hey Kevin it's Murph. How's the summer going?

anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't not having a car on of the things that would allow an M1 to get special consideration for a local LGM??

BTW, nice avatar

Anyone with questions about evms M1 life/classes/profs/etc, please feel free to PM or email me

[email protected]

For those who haven't received a financial aid package, I want to pass this along.

I visited the Norfolk area with my parents yesterday and dropped by the financial aid office. I hadn't yet received a package and wanted to make sure everything was still running smoothly. Sure enough, my file was missing an "electronic signature" and was held up in the backlog of folders. The office thought they emailed me about the issue, but they hadn't. To make a long story short, my folder had fallen overboard and no one knew I couldn't swim back to shore. (Okay, maybe that wasn't the best analogy, but you get the point:D)

If you haven't received a financial aid package, shoot the office and ask them for an update. I had no idea how HUGE this system is. The staff is doing their best, but a few unacknowledged hangups probably happen each year.

Good luck, and be polite to the financial aid staff even if there is a problem with your folder. They are doing their best!

If you haven't received a financial aid package, shoot the office and ask them for an update.

You might get information if you ask for the update before having shot them

Depends on where you shoot them, I guess. We have ways of making you talk...

Hey all, count me in for another social soon. Monday would work for me, but perhaps later in the week would be better since microbugs can't make it? I can be free most any time.

Hey all, count me in for another social soon. Monday would work for me, but perhaps later in the week would be better since microbugs can't make it? I can be free most any time.

Would anyone be cool with Thursday??

Votes on location? No Frill Bar and Grill is pretty good.

Hey all, if I was accepted AFTER the April 30th FAFSA receipt deadline, it would just be a waste of time to fill out the FAFSA, correct or not?

Hey all, if I was accepted AFTER the April 30th FAFSA receipt deadline, it would just be a waste of time to fill out the FAFSA, correct or not?

I think that you still have to fill it out or it makes it harder for them to do their financial aid, but you should call. I called last week to ask about parents signatures on the FAFSA and the woman was really helpful. For all those of you who are wondering about the parents signatures, you only need them for the EVMS aid which is need based. You don't need them for the VA in-state thing or any other federal aid. So, if like me you filed w/o parents signature you only need to fix it if you think your parents' income(s) qualify you as "needy"--though this level varies each year.

Would anyone be cool with Thursday??

Can't do it. I'll be in HAZMAT training all week. I'll catch up with all of you the next time. And I agree - No frills bar and grill is good.

-r

Can't do it. I'll be in HAZMAT training all week. I'll catch up with all of you the next time. And I agree - No frills bar and grill is good.

-r

Ah, HAZMAT, have fun with that! Perhaps a 4th of July (or later for those traveling) celebration would work better for people? Thoughts anyone?

Do any of the first years know if we need to get scrubs? I vaguely remember hearing something about having them be mandatory for gross? Is this something we should think about ahead of time or will we have plenty of time when classes start?

Do any of the first years know if we need to get scrubs? I vaguely remember hearing something about having them be mandatory for gross? Is this something we should think about ahead of time or will we have plenty of time when classes start?

Good question. Especially if it is true that we will be dissecting on our first day. Should we be getting reading materials in advance as well if that is the case?

Hello all!! Finally, I have been accepted from the waitlist and I will be joining you all in the fall. I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!!:D

Hello all!! Finally, I have been accepted from the waitlist and I will be joining you all in the fall. I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!!:D

Congrats doc, that's awesome! Glad your patience paid off! Are you already in the area, so you can join us on our next gathering (whenever that may be...)?

congrats congrats! i'm glad to hear the waitlist is still moving... your acceptance gives hope to people like me who are still waiting for some good news!

Congrats doc, that's awesome! Glad your patience paid off! Are you already in the area, so you can join us on our next gathering (whenever that may be...)?

Yes I am in the area.:thumbup: I live in Norfolk, and I work in Norfolk, so that will be great. When is the next gathering going to be?

Add me to the list of people needing the parent's electronic sig. I went by today to find out that it was missing. The only reason they're cracking down on the sig is that it's being cracked down on from above (US Gov't). I was told, though, that not having it doesn't hold up receiving your aid letter, which she said was another two weeks away for us.

Good question. Especially if it is true that we will be dissecting on our first day. Should we be getting reading materials in advance as well if that is the case?

Dr. Goodmurphy (the anatomy prof) will want you guys to be ready to dissect the first day. that means scrubs or lab coats, dissecting kits and dissector. On the other hand, if it is anything like last year you guys will not have anatomy on the first day. Just be sure to have the above stuff with you by the time the first anatomy session roles around.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

Dr. Goodmurphy (the anatomy prof) will want you guys to be ready to dissect the first day. that means scrubs or lab coats, dissecting kits and dissector. On the other hand, if it is anything like last year you guys will not have anatomy on the first day. Just be sure to have the above stuff with you by the time the first anatomy session roles around.

Best place to get those? Are the dissecting supplies in the bookstore, and not way over priced?