EVMS Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone recieved their financial aid packages yet from EVMS????

I haven't yet. I talked with the financial aid person last week when we had our out-processing for MPH and she said they'll be sent out as they're completed. She totally dodged giving me a date/time so who knows. Maybe someone else could corner them...

Did you guys get the updated date of orientation, the 13th? I honestly don't remember what it was before.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't yet. I talked with the financial aid person last week when we had our out-processing for MPH and she said they'll be sent out as they're completed. She totally dodged giving me a date/time so who knows. Maybe someone else could corner them...

Did you guys get the updated date of orientation, the 13th? I honestly don't remember what it was before.

No, I have not recieved any orientation info. I'll probably swing by there again soon and will ask about it.

Microbugs, since you just graduated from MPH, I probably saw you during commencement and didn't even realize it. I too was graduating there that day. What did you think of Warner's speech? I thought it was pretty good. :thumbup:

hi everyone,

those of you who got off the waitlist, was it by phone call, email, or letter that you found out?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I have not recieved any orientation info. I'll probably swing by there again soon and will ask about it.

Microbugs, since you just graduated from MPH, I probably saw you during commencement and didn't even realize it. I too was graduating there that day. What did you think of Warner's speech? I thought it was pretty good. :thumbup:

No way Haemulon- that's pretty cool! What degree did you get? I thought Warner's speech was great (mom was a big fan of his advice too ;) ) It was exciting sitting there, thinking that four years from now, that'll be us! I was checking my mail in the mailroom yesterday and realized now after all this waiting, I'll finally have a box under the MD section. Can't wait!

Oh and I sent an email to Assist. Financial Aid Officer, we'll see where that gets us...

I am ISM, for those of you wondering, and I found out snail mail. They may have called my phone, but the number I have on record may be my cell phone, which I keep off during the day because we don't get reception in the NIH building.

It seems it's the same people posting, and not more than 5. Where are the other 110 students?

No way Haemulon- that's pretty cool! What degree did you get? I thought Warner's speech was great (mom was a big fan of his advice too ;) ) It was exciting sitting there, thinking that four years from now, that'll be us! I was checking my mail in the mailroom yesterday and realized now after all this waiting, I'll finally have a box under the MD section. Can't wait!

Oh and I sent an email to Assist. Financial Aid Officer, we'll see where that gets us...

I sent you a PM about my specifics. I too was thinking about the same things that you were. Imagining myself standing with all of those other MD graduates when the degree was officially conferred upon them. Knowing that at that moment four years from now, I will officially become a Doctor. How exciting!!!!!!

Hey all!

This is my first post in this thread. I was accepted at EVMS back in the beginning of October. Since then, I've been living in Peru and haven't really been actively thinking about medical school. Now I'm on a waitlist at another in-state school, but I'm thinking more and more that EVMS is where I want to spend my next four years.

Having said all this, I look forward to meething you all. Congratulations on your acceptances.

Also...who needs a roommate?!:) I hear the Ghent (or is it Gent?) area is the place where most students live? Doesn't EVMS have some on-campus housing? Is the on-campus housing nice? How do students apply for it?

Hey all!

This is my first post in this thread. I was accepted at EVMS back in the beginning of October. Since then, I've been living in Peru and haven't really been actively thinking about medical school. Now I'm on a waitlist at another in-state school, but I'm thinking more and more that EVMS is where I want to spend my next four years.

Having said all this, I look forward to meething you all. Congratulations on your acceptances.

Also...who needs a roommate?!:) I hear the Ghent (or is it Gent?) area is the place where most students live? Doesn't EVMS have some on-campus housing? Is the on-campus housing nice? How do students apply for it?

No on campus housing for EVMS, just close to campus stuff in the Ghent area. There's a variety of places if you check into housing in Norfolk. Craigslist has some good listings too usually. Sounds like most live in the ghent area, it is convenient, 'course some of us feel a little claustrophobic there and will be living in VA beach or Chesapeake. Those have longer commutes, obviously. Looking forward to meeting you in August!

Hi Everyone.

I'll be in Norfolk this coming monday and tuesday. I'm committed until 5:30 or so both days, but if anyone wants to try to get together for dinner (pizza, burgers, whatever) either of those days, PM me and we'll try to set it up. The more the merrier.

-r

Hi Everyone.

I'll be in Norfolk this coming monday and tuesday. I'm committed until 5:30 or so both days, but if anyone wants to try to get together for dinner (pizza, burgers, whatever) either of those days, PM me and we'll try to set it up. The more the merrier.

-r

I'm game for a meet and greet, and I live in the area, so definitely count me in. It may still be raining and otherwise crummy outside tomorrow (Monday), i'm not sure. But we could always meet at one of the places on Colley Avenue (Colley Cantina, Kelly's, etc ...) or maybe downtown (somewhere on Granby st, McArther Mall restaraunts?), or even over at Waterside. We should PM eachother for contact info. How about the rest of you?

Sounds like most live in the ghent area, it is convenient, 'course some of us feel a little claustrophobic there and will be living in VA beach or Chesapeake.

The apartments (or homes or townhomes) in Ghent are tight quarters? Although I'm from Virginia, my first visit to Norfolk was my interview. I'm in Peru basically until the end of this month, so I won't have a chance to look around before July.

Any current EVMS students or fellow classmates living in Norfolk have feelings one way or the other about Ghent or the two "towers?" What are the prices like at each location?

Thanks so much!:)

I'm game for a meet and greet, and I live in the area, so definitely count me in. It may still be raining and otherwise crummy outside tomorrow (Monday), i'm not sure. But we could always meet at one of the places on Colley Avenue (Colley Cantina, Kelly's, etc ...) or maybe downtown (somewhere on Granby st, McArther Mall restaraunts?), or even over at Waterside. We should PM eachother for contact info. How about the rest of you?

I'm game for Tuesday. I'm back in NH for a family emergency until Monday evening, so I'm all for Tuesday evening. I'll be available after 6. Just let me know where and when.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuesday works for me just tell me when and where!

Just moved in to Pembroke Towers last week. So far so good, everyone I have met seems nice, price isn't too bad(Big 2 bedroom all utilities included except cable and phone...about 1200/month) and location is as close as possible to EVMS about a block and a half.

We'll be meeting on tuesday at 6:30 in the lobby of Lewis Hall (near the library) for anyone who wants to join us.

See you then

Sadness, I won't be able to join you guys! Darn NIH *grumble grumble*...

Good to hear that you can make it CarpADM. I'll see you in a few hours. Romanwahoo, don't worry bud. I'm sure we'll be having a number of get togethers before school. Take it easy :)

Sadness, I won't be there either. Darn Peru.+pissed+

Haha. I love the icon. No worries, there will be more gatherings to come. Are you going to be in Peru until just before school starts?

It was great to see you all tonite! I am definitely looking forward to more socials throughout the summer. Talk to you soon.

Hi everyone, I'm glad to see there is some activity in this thread! Unfortunately, I'm in Taiwan for the summer so I won't be able to meet you guys until August. I'll be reading the forums for signs of financial aid activity in the meantime. If someone could post when the packets start arriving, that would be great.

romanwahoo, I was at the NIH until this May, I'm guessing you're an IRTA? Enjoy it while you can, I already miss my lab.

Hi everyone, I'm glad to see there is some activity in this thread! Unfortunately, I'm in Taiwan for the summer so I won't be able to meet you guys until August. I'll be reading the forums for signs of financial aid activity in the meantime. If someone could post when the packets start arriving, that would be great.

romanwahoo, I was at the NIH until this May, I'm guessing you're an IRTA? Enjoy it while you can, I already miss my lab.

I got my financial aid package about a week ago

It was great to met you guys last night. Let me know when we want to do it again, maybe we can scrounge up a couple more of us roaming around out here in cyberland.

It was great to met you guys last night. Let me know when we want to do it again, maybe we can scrounge up a couple more of us roaming around out here in cyberland.

I'd probably be down. I'm living here after completing the med master program, I just never check this thread.

Haha. I love the icon. No worries, there will be more gatherings to come. Are you going to be in Peru until just before school starts?

I'm coming back to the States on the 16th. Soon after I want to head down to Norfolk and check out some of the living areas recommended on here.

I'm coming back to the States on the 16th. Soon after I want to head down to Norfolk and check out some of the living areas recommended on here.

Awesome, be sure to let us know so we can plan another gathering!

Has EVMS sent any of you an email address? I'd like to join the Norfolk/Va. Beach network on Facebook so I can begin posting roommate requests, but Facebook requires an email adress.

hey for all those wondering about the waitlist, my friend (male out of state) just got a phone call acceptance today... he actually turned it down, so maybe it will end up going to one of y'all... good luck!

Has EVMS sent any of you an email address? I'd like to join the Norfolk/Va. Beach network on Facebook so I can begin posting roommate requests, but Facebook requires an email adress.

I know when I started the MPH, we got ours during orientation. Not sure if that applies to the med students too, but there's a good chance. Any current M1's know for sure?

Tuesday night was a lot of fun. We definitely have to get together again.

Incidentally, on tuesday, CarpADM flabbergasted me by revealing that, in addition to putting my parent's financial information on the FAFSA, I had to get my mom to sign it.

Really.

Even though I'm 44 and have been living independently since I was 18. Even though FAFSA itself considers me independent and doesn't require mom's signature. Ok, fine, but getting this signature isn't as easy as it sounds. I live here in VA, my mom is a little old italian lady living in NY. And it's an electronic signature. Mom doesn't know from electronic signatures. "What? I have to sign a computer? Ok, smart guy, which computer?" And then there's the whole issue of the PIN. "What's a PIN?" I tell her it's like her code number for her bank card. "I never got one of those - too complicated." Oh. Eventually, we got through that (we used my email address) and mom says "So, I'm done? I got a PIN now and I signed the computer?" Well, not quite. I tell her that her actual PIN number will be sent in 2-3 days and then she will be able to sign. "Oh. What fun. I can't wait."

Yippee! More great moments in medicine.

-r

P.S. I have already included mom's info and submitted her tax return for last year - but, silly me, it just didn't occur to me that she would actually have to vouch for me by signing the form. I should have known better given the fact that everyone I know has had to sign their names to 6.31 gazillion forms of various shapes, sizes, and colors. Live and learn.

Tuesday night was a lot of fun. We definitely have to get together again.

Incidentally, on tuesday, CarpADM flabbergasted me by revealing that, in addition to putting my parent's financial information on the FAFSA, I had to get my mom to sign it.

Really.

Even though I'm 44 and have been living independently since I was 18. Even though FAFSA itself considers me independent and doesn't require mom's signature. Ok, fine, but getting this signature isn't as easy as it sounds. I live here in VA, my mom is a little old italian lady living in NY. And it's an electronic signature. Mom doesn't know from electronic signatures. "What? I have to sign a computer? Ok, smart guy, which computer?" And then there's the whole issue of the PIN. "What's a PIN?" I tell her it's like her code number for her bank card. "I never got one of those - too complicated." Oh. Eventually, we got through that (we used my email address) and mom says "So, I'm done? I got a PIN now and I signed the computer?" Well, not quite. I tell her that her actual PIN number will be sent in 2-3 days and then she will be able to sign. "Oh. What fun. I can't wait."

Yippee! More great moments in medicine.

-r

P.S. I have already included mom's info and submitted her tax return for last year - but, silly me, it just didn't occur to me that she would actually have to vouch for me by signing the form. I should have known better given the fact that everyone I know has had to sign their names to 6.31 gazillion forms of various shapes, sizes, and colors. Live and learn.

Dude, I am so right there with you. I need to go over my parent's house today and help them get a pin. This is so ridiculous, especially considering that they already had to submit a signed copy of their tax forms to the school for this year. (that's right, don't forget to get a signed copy of your Mom's 1040 and send it to EVMS while your helpiung her sign the FAFSA). Can this process get any more crazy???? :thumbdown: Booooooooooo.

Dude, I am so right there with you. I need to go over my parent's house today and help them get a pin. This is so ridiculous, especially considering that they already had to submit a signed copy of their tax forms to the school for this year. (that's right, don't forget to get a signed copy of your Mom's 1040 and send it to EVMS while your helpiung her sign the FAFSA). Can this process get any more crazy???? :thumbdown: Booooooooooo.

So did Fin. Aid let you guys know this was missing? My situation's a little easier since I"ve got younger sisters still in college, so my parents are "up" on the whole fafsa deal. But I agree, it's a pain in the ... If you're married or older than 25 then it shouldn't be required!

So did Fin. Aid let you guys know this was missing?

Nope. At least, not yet. CarpADM let us know on tuesday night. My first reaction was "you're kidding!", but alas, he wasn't. Anyway, mom's PIN arrived and I talked her through the signature. Now my FAFSA is "Processing" again. :rolleyes:

Looks like my financial aid package is just going to squeak in under the wire. I hope.

-r

Nope. At least, not yet. CarpADM let us know on tuesday night. My first reaction was "you're kidding!", but alas, he wasn't. Anyway, mom's PIN arrived and I talked her through the signature. Now my FAFSA is "Processing" again. :rolleyes:

Looks like my financial aid package is just going to squeak in under the wire. I hope.

-r

Talk about a process. Glad things have squeaked through...

I know this is a bit of topic but does anyone have info on good places to go bicycling in the area. I am a newcomer to both biking and the Norfolk area and was looking for some places close by to go for a ride. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I know this is a bit of topic but does anyone have info on good places to go bicycling in the area. I am a newcomer to both biking and the Norfolk area and was looking for some places close by to go for a ride. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

No idea, but there's a biking store down colley. They'd know.

You said you have a mountain bike right? Check out First Landing State Park out in VB. Trails aren't crazy, but it's off-road. I hear there is a place in Yorktown that has mountain biking trails that are supposed to be for all levels. One of the women I work with had mentioned them, but haven't checked out since my mtn bike is still up in NH.

This might be it... http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=1079

Also, check out the Great Dismal Swamp in Chesapeake. There is supposed to be a number of trails there.

Hey guys,

For those of you still on the waitlist-- I was accepted last year on July 25th(the first week of school was Aug 15th), from the middle 1/3, ISM. So, don't loose hope if you're still on the list. Keep sending in small updates to show interest, and keep your cell phones on! At the same time, don't forget to start your new AMCAS apps as a back up measure. Best of luck! :luck:

Hey guys,

For those of you still on the waitlist-- I was accepted last year on July 25th(the first week of school was Aug 15th), from the middle 1/3, ISM. So, don't loose hope if you're still on the list. Keep sending in small updates to show interest, and keep your cell phones on! At the same time, don't forget to start your new AMCAS apps as a back up measure. Best of luck! :luck:

Hey BDevil, so how have you liked EVMS? I'm really excited to be starting in August (and a little nervous too of course). I am also curious, does the school require M1's to purchase medical instruments, like otoscopes, stethescopes, and such?

I just got accepted to EVMS today...OOS female from top 1/3.

Congrats nabs!! That's awesome. Will you be joining us in August?

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll accept yet...I loved EVMS but it's 7 hours away from home. I know, I know, people have moved much farther than that, but right now that's the only thing holding me back. I'll let you all know when I make a decision. :)

Hi everyone! I am going to be joining you all at EVMS this fall! Sadly I missed out on preview day but I can't wait to meet you all in August.

Are any of the female class members looking to room with another M1? I am planning to get an apartment in Pembroke or one of the other smaller apartment buildings close to the hospital and I would really love to have another M1 to room with and hang out with and study with! Let me know if anyone is interested.

hello people. I just got into EVMS on tuesday. Just in time to keep me from sending in another AMCAS app! Anyone, current student or otherwise, know what's required in terms of stethoscopes or diagnostic kits? I'm from richmond and just finished the VCU post-bac. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

hello people. I just got into EVMS on tuesday. Just in time to keep me from sending in another AMCAS app! Anyone, current student or otherwise, know what's required in terms of stethoscopes or diagnostic kits? I'm from richmond and just finished the VCU post-bac. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

They sell a bunch of types in the bookstore. Check the allopathic forum, search it for what's recommended. I hear a lot of littmann classic III, I think. I've got a classic II that was a gift and won't have a problem using that. Not an expert, though...

Hey guys - just got into my first choice so there will be an IS male spot opening up within the beginning of next week!

They sell a bunch of types in the bookstore. Check the allopathic forum, search it for what's recommended. I hear a lot of littmann classic III, I think. I've got a classic II that was a gift and won't have a problem using that. Not an expert, though...

I also received a Littman Classic II as a gift. I have heard good things about them, but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on my own yet.

I also received a Littman Classic II as a gift. I have heard good things about them, but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on my own yet.

I've had a Littman Cardiology III for about four years and it works well. I've also used the Classic II and a couple of the DRG scopes and they're also fine. My suggestion would be to wait until you get started at EVMS and see what they recommend - or wait to see if anyone gives you one as a gift - whatever one you get will probably be fine unless it came out of a cereal box.

As for the opthalmoscope/otoscope, I dunno - we don't have those on the ambulance for obvious reasons... (embarrassed looking medic, shouting) "I'M SORRY MA'AM, IT LOOKS LIKE I POKED A BIG OLD HOLE IN YOUR EARDRUM WHEN WE HIT THAT BUMP! SUCKS TO BE YOU TODAY."

-r