Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) Class of 2016!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms8171

FF / EMT-CC
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were searching for this thread, I assume that you have been accepted to EVMS for the Class of 2016, and I would like to start by congratulating you on your success!

I was fortunate enough to receive my acceptance back in October, and despite many interviews since, I am still very interested in EVMS. Now that some time has passed, I am hoping to make contact with some other prospective students to share thoughts and opinions on the school, and to generally get to know each other. Who knows, this might help you find a roommate!

If you have received an acceptance at this school, regardless of whether you are sure of where you are going, I would like to invite you to post here and say hello!

For the sake of breaking the ice, I propose you start with the following:

Nickname:
Something interesting about yourself:
One thing about EVMS that excites you:
Name your 'favorite' something:

As for me?

My name is Mike, and I've been a firefighter / paramedic in New York for the last several years. In addition to firefighting and EMS, I have a special interest in technical rescue and disaster response. One of the things that most excites me about EVMS is that a large number of faculty in the Department of Emergency Medicine serve as Operational Medical Directors for regional fire departments. Because of my interests and experiences, I am fond of the idea of serving as a medical director in the future, so I am very eager to interact with those faculty members and learn from them.

My favorite TV show is 'The Walking Dead', which I watch religiously on Sundays at the firehouse. I love zombie movies!

Anyway, I hope to hear from some other people. If you feel so inclined, I have also made a Facebook group entitled 'Eastern Virginia Medical (EVMS) School Class of 2016'. You will need to request access to the group. I did this to keep random group traffic down. Please bear in mind that the Facebook group is not endorsed by EVMS - it is only a personal group that I put together to help meet some other prospective students.

Cheers, and congratulations again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey brother,

I don't mean to hijack your class thread, but I'm a firefighter/medic applying this upcoming cycle and EVMS is one of my top choices for the same reasons you've mentioned.

I was just wondering how your experiences in the fire service have shaped your application process, specifically for EVMS. Any insights would be fantastic- I'm curious as to how this kind of background is perceived by admissions officers. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Thanks for your time, and congratulations on your acceptance.

Hey brother - glad to hear from you! I'd be more than happy to share any information I have with you to better your chances of getting into the school you want.

At the moment, I'm attending the JEMS Conference in Baltimore, and I won't be readily available until I get home on Sunday. In the meantime, I'll shoot you a PM with my email address, which you are welcome to use to contact me. I would prefer it over PMs.

Talk to you soon.

- Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you guys that have gotten into EVSM, you are an inspiration. I am applying to this school for the next cycle, do you mind sharing your stats?.

Thanks

hi broo,
Thank`s for sharing this with us. I was just wondering how your experiences in the fire service have shaped your application process, specifically for EVMS and congratulations for your acceptance

Thanks Donchissy and Lesline!

Donchissy: My stats are - MCAT 35S, GPA 3.68.

Lesline: I would be happy to share my experiences with you. Please send me a PM and I'll get in touch with you. I'm currently training in Alabama, so when I'm back home on Saturday, I will contact you.

Hi Mike,

I just searched for the facebook page but nothing comes up.... I'm kind of surprised that no one that's been accepted has posted anything in here! Anyways, I'm from NY as well. Good job getting in (super early, too!)!

Thanks for the reply! We recently consolidated multiple Eastern Virginia 2016 Facebook groups. The 'official' one is now administrated by some other prospective and current students and is entitled 'EVMS 2016'.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EVMS16/

Hey there!

Congrats to everyone! I'm Hugo Hua and am fortunate to be able to say that I'll be entering EVMS for the Fall of 2012! Woohoo!

Presently, I've been looking into housing. Any idea where's a good place to find other students to room with? Thanks a bunch!

Congrats again to those who have been accepted!

congrats to everyone! Im also OOS trying to figure out this housing situation, any tips?

Hey all,

Just got accepted off the waitlist here! Also got accepted to VCU on the same day so I have a tough decision to make soon (although I'm leaning towards EVMS at this point). Going to be looking for housing soon as well.

I'm an in-stater, actually from Hampton Roads myself which I believe gave me a big advantage when applying here. 31P, 3.6 GPA. I've been working as a scribe for the past 2 years which has only made me more excited to medical school.

Also, The Walking Dead is easily the best show on television. I watch it religiously with my buddies as well.

Got accepted off the waitlist too.Accepted also at Meharry, finding it hard to chose since I would like to do some research during first and second year, which EVMS does not have alot of but Meharry has some. Apart from that I love everything else about EVMS.

I'm in out of state as well and am trying to figure out the housing situation. The plan is to buy a house and rent out the other rooms. It's kind of a last second thing so I won't have this ready until probably only a few weeks before classes start, but feel free to message me if you're interested and I will keep you posted with details as they arise to help you make any decisions. I intend to be about 3 miles from campus because that's where things start to be affordable.

Me:
I was originally a defense contractor doing comp sci sorts of things for a few years and then did the post-bacc route to enter medicine at the ripe old age of 27.

I'm looking at apartments at Belmont at Freemason. Kinda pricey for a 1bd/1bath but they look really great. Anyone check it out yet?

Hello all my name is Jon and I just got into EVMS (two weeks until classes!!) As you can imagine I'm kind of scrambling now to find a place to live so if anyone needs a roommate/has space/etc. please contact me directly. I'm pretty easy to live with and I'm super excited about medical school.

Can't wait to meet you all!