EVMS Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wednesday is fine with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I know this is a repetitive question, but I'm at the beach and out of touch with my family back home, my permanent address. Has anyone received a financial aid package?

I'm jealous that so many people are having a good time in Norfolk without me.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the office today, and they said that letters are currently being sent out on a rolling basis.

In (perhaps) good news, the woman with whom I spoke stated that we would be sent an e-mail when our letters are sent out. Hopefully this can somewhat cut down on the incessant trips to the mailbox.

:)
I called the office today, and they said that letters are currently being sent out on a rolling basis.

In (perhaps) good news, the woman with whom I spoke stated that we would be sent an e-mail when our letters are sent out. Hopefully this can somewhat cut down on the incessant trips to the mailbox.

Hi ya all! I am joining Class of 2011 on the 13th, and I received an email from EVMS today. The email says :

Your Award Letter has been sent to the address you have provided on FAFSA.
Should you have any question please gives us a call at 757-446-5804.

Thank you,

The award letters are on the way!

Congrats on getting the letter Tee2011. I think the majority of people will still be asking about who's gotten their financial aid package on August 13th though. If anybody is already in the area though, I really believe it would be a good idea to stop by the financial aid office at some point before the beginning of classes just to check on the status of your package and to 'make sure that you got all the info in.' I remember talking to several people last year who swore up and down that they stopped by the office several times and stated that as a reason they got their financial aid package a couple weeks before most people.

I've not gotten mine yet, but going through this again, I'm not too worried about it. The school's not getting their $$ from me until the financial aid office gets the loan in place. :cool:

I haven't checked SDN in a while though, but I wish I would have because I would have definitely been at the lobby get-together in front of the library if I'd of known.
I'm going to need to set up cable tv and internet in my apartment and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what companies are good in the norfolk area. Moving from Maryland, I'm a bit clueless about what goes on down there.
There are actually a couple clever way to save on utilities. For power and water, there's really only one choice unless it's already included in your rent. But for cable/internet, the first thing to do is to try rabbit ears if you just want basic network channels which pick up pretty good in Norfolk. You may also hit a free WiFi signal, or can go in halves on a mobile router and service with a neighboring student, and not have to pay for internet either, or at least full price. At my house, I have a family and need more channels (apparently Boomerang is that big of a deal :p). But I have Cavalier which gives around 100 channels and hi-speed internet for about $65/month. Their website is cavtel.com for details. You really hear most people mention Cox or Verizon, but as most virtual monopolies, they are priced higher for the same thing and I'm the kind of person that shops around. Cavalier also has landline phone service if you need it. For wireless, it's the same thing really, try to avoid paying more if possible in my opinion, but nTelos (a Virginia Company) and Alltel have national plans with good coverage around here that give more minutes for the price which can save $$ since most of us don't have landlines, and most daytime calls will use minutes. nTelos tends to give the most minutes and has an unlimited national plan, and Alltel also has the My Circle deal for unlimited to any 10 numbers which helps to keep in touch with unlimited minutes to family away from the area, and a 15% discount for EVMS students if you get in touch with the EVMS rep, Caroline at [email protected], at least that was the case last year. That's really all the penny-pinching ideas I can think of right now besides letting you know that amazon and half.com are a lot cheaper than the bookstore unless you get that free Netter's with the AMSA which is a great deal because you'll need the atlas all year for Anatomy and Neuroscience.

Does anyone have the book list for first years, so i can start getting the books from amazon and what not.

In addition to scrubs what else do the first years generally need equipment wise?

Thanks!

I'm getting a really late jump on housing but if anyone out there is still looking then please send me a message. I'm trying to live within a mile of school (most likely in Ghent).

Also, does anyone know how we can hit up that free Netter Atlas through AMSA? Do we have to wait until Orientation for that or is it something we can do online?

Does anyone have the book list for first years, so i can start getting the books from amazon and what not.

In addition to scrubs what else do the first years generally need equipment wise?

Thanks!

Don't worry about the books just yet. Each of the M1's will be matched up to a M2 (Big sib little sib) and most of the M2's probably have a stack of books that they never want to see again and will give them to their little sib. At least I know I do.

frankensurgeon, I got your message about potentially living together but I couldn't reply b/c SDN says that you've exceeded your private messages quota. Send me another message w/ some contact info (preferably a # I can call) so that I can get in touch w/ you. Thanks!

does anybody want to get together and hang out the weekend before orientation? i'd like to get a head start on meeting my future classmates (and friends) :)

post up or send a PM

does anybody want to get together and hang out the weekend before orientation? i'd like to get a head start on meeting my future classmates (and friends) :)

post up or send a PM

UM YES!!! I figured that was the perfect weekend to get together and do things with classmates since most people will be already settled/ getting excited to start on monday! I'll be down in Norfolk for good as of Thursday afternoon, so let me know the deal! I'm going down tomorrow, but its only a day trip of moving stuff (taking a friend's truck to move my bed and have to give the truck back)

Just got back from an awesome Europe vacation. I'm moving in on Friday, so I'm definitely down for going out on Friday or Saturday. I remember seeing an Irish pub on Colley (forget what it's called). Anyone interested in going there Friday or Saturday night?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone.

We can get together at my house. It will be a potluck on saturday afternoon/evening if anyone is interested.

If you're intrigued, PM me.

-rales

I still have not received financial aid information or Textbook/supply list. Anyone actually receive info yet?

hey everybody,

i'm from out of state so i'll be moving to virginia sometime this week... quick question: are most of the bars on colley ave or granby st? this might influence my housing...

Here's a great new game! Feel free to play along at home! It goes something like this:

1. Get list of vaccinations needed for Virginia EMS (yikes! long list!).
2. Try to contact pediatrician for records (yeah, right).
3. Discover that pediatrician retired in 1984 (naturally).
4. Make appointment with PCP (in six months).
5. Discover that PCP does not give vaccinations. Get referral to Dept. of Health. (rats)
6. Go to Dept. of Health and stand in line. (zzz)
7. Get TDAP (ow), Varicella twice (ow, ow), Hep B three times (ow, ow, ow), TD (seems like a duplicate to me, but ow anyway), MMR (ow), and PPD (ow).
8. When forearms, upper arms and shoulders heal, submit paperwork. (OUCH! Writer's cramp!)
9. Get exposed to TB (no, not intentionally).
10. Get PPD, PPD, Chest Xray, PPD, PPD, Chest Xray (ow, ow, zap, ow, ow, zap) which are all negative (whew!)
11. Get admitted to medical school (yay)
12. Get list of required vaccinations for medical school. (what, again?)
13. Discover that the list requests DPT - Diptheria, Pertussis and Tetanus, which you don't have (oh no! premonition of ow!).
14. Notice that you DO have TDAP - Tetanus, Diptheria and Pertussis. :clap:. These should be substitutes, right?
15. Nope. They're not. :(
16. But the school will waive DPT because my pediatrician has croaked. (yay! No more shots!)
17. Not so fast - you only have one MMR. And you need a titer on the Hep B. (oh poop!)
18. Go to Health Dept. Stand in line. (ZZZZ)
19. Get MMR (ow), but they don't do titers. :rolleyes:
20. Get referral to hospital, which does titers. :oops:
21. Go to hospital (zoom zoom)
21. But they need a prescription and they only do them for their patients. :mad:
22. Get referral to outside lab. (sheesh! enough already)
23. Call lab - they need a prescription. (Hah! I outsmarted them - I called first)
24. Go to PCP and get prescription. (getting tired yet?)
25. Go to lab. Get titer drawn (OUCH OUCH OUCH! And a hematoma as a bonus)
26. Discover that the lab will only send results to PCP, not to medical school. (Cry! Beg! Plead! Make cute puppy dog eyes! All to no avail. The universe is getting revenge for #23)
27. Call PCP for instructions :scared:
28. Fax medical school number to PCP so that they can fax results to medical school when lab faxes the results to them :confused:
29. Call bookie. Place VERY large bet against this working out correctly. :D
30. Buy a private island and retire in luxury. :cool:

Have fun slogging away in school folks - I'll be on my island eating custom made, gold plated hamburgers.

-rales

P.S. Of course, the whole island thing will not work out - the laws of thermodynamics prevent it, you know.

P.P.S. The laws of thermodynamics are (1) You can't win, (2) You can't break even and (3) You can't quit the game.

P.P.P.S. I'm working on my air of long suffering exasperation in preparation for dealing with insurance companies. Practice makes perfect.

P.Q.R.S.T. I'm sitting here after driving around most of the afternoon, dividing my attention between the beautiful purple and blue sunset outside my window and the hideous giant purple and blue globule forming on my arm. Yin and Yang!

W.X.Y.Z. And I'm also bored.

Hey everyone, I'm excited to meet you all in the near future. I've been out of the country all summer but should be back by this weekend. With moving and getting over jet-lag, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it out to the pre-orientation social events. :(

CarpADM: I called the financial aid office and they said they're still sending out award letters on a rolling basis. They said they hope to have sent mine by this week, but we'll see what actually happens. I hope applying for loans will be a quick process since I may not get my award letter until classes begin. Anyone already go through the loan process?

rales: I feel your pain, I had to jump through a lot of hoops to complete the health form.

See you all soon!

rales- you're too much! That was great, but I do feel your pain. My struggle wasn't quite that bad, but I did that for EMT/working at hospital/starting MPH program two years ago. At least being a current student, EVMS was like, oh yeah, you're good to go....phew. Hope the arm heals... Jealous of the sunset.

rales: your story reminds me of my own, but I think you had an even tougher time of it. It is crazy the hoops that we have to jump through. I totally understand needing all the immunization stuff, but one would think there would be a way to streamline all of this. Just last week I finished it all up by dropping off my lab results from my varicella titer. The note from my PCP simply stated "According to your lab results dated xx/xx, you are immune to chicken pox." :thumbup::D

Of course it took a trip to the Occ health office, a visit to a doc in a box clinic for a physical and a TdAP, 2 visits to my PCP (one looking for immunization records and another to get referral for varicella testing), a stop by a phlebotomy lab to draw titers, 2 visits to my pediatrician's office for records, and a second visit to Occ health to reach this end point. :laugh: All this and I still need to get my Hep B, but at least that is offered by EVMS once we get there.

Here is a question that I feel silly for asking, but nevertheless: what are you all bringing with you on the first day? Do you think we need a notebook or anything (there arn't any classes the first 2 days, but may need to take notes on other stuff???). And I am guessing regular casual summer clothes would be ok to wear right? Or should we look nicer for our ID photos? It's funny how trivial things like these seem more important when one starts getting nervous/excited about starting something new. :oops:

Don't feel bad, I thought about the same thing. I looked over the orientation schedule and I'll proably take a small bookbag just in case we have paperwork that is given to us. Of course, a notebook and a pen as well.

On another note has anyone gotten any information about finanacial aid yet? Orientation does start on Monday. Is anyone else concerned about this?

still no financial aid package...I was really concerned about it, so I visited the financial aid office last week. My file is still being processed, but they have everything they need from me and they said it would be sent this week. I figured that I've done everything I can to check up on it and make sure everything is in order. I guess there's nothing more to really do but wait. If you are worried just give finaid a call/go visit and make sure you are complete and your file is active. I don't think they can expect us to pay up if we don't have any loans coming our way....right? I'm going with the try not to worry about it approach. :oops:

As far as what to wear to orientation goes...I was assumming it was casual, too. That's how it was at the preview weekend and any ID picture should only showcase our shoulders and above. I'll probably bring a small notebook I can fit into my purse (which hopefully I can stuff papers into if need be) on Mon/Tues and then bring my back pack when we start classes on Weds.

My question: does anyone know what we are supposed to wear to our white coat ceremony? or what guests should wear? I guess they'll tell us sometime next week...

we start medical school in less than a week!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!!! :D

still no financial aid package...I was really concerned about it, so I visited the financial aid office last week. My file is still being processed, but they have everything they need from me and they said it would be sent this week. I figured that I've done everything I can to check up on it and make sure everything is in order. I guess there's nothing more to really do but wait. If you are worried just give finaid a call/go visit and make sure you are complete and your file is active. I don't think they can expect us to pay up if we don't have any loans coming our way....right? I'm going with the try not to worry about it approach. :oops:

As far as what to wear to orientation goes...I was assumming it was casual, too. That's how it was at the preview weekend and any ID picture should only showcase our shoulders and above. I'll probably bring a small notebook I can fit into my purse (which hopefully I can stuff papers into if need be) on Mon/Tues and then bring my back pack when we start classes on Weds.

My question: does anyone know what we are supposed to wear to our white coat ceremony? or what guests should wear? I guess they'll tell us sometime next week...

we start medical school in less than a week!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!!! :D

Thanks for the responses. And good point about the white coat ceremony. I am not even sure how many guests we can invite. Another thing: when do we determine our coat size? I would at least like to try on a couple sizes to see what fits. It would be a bummer to get one too small, which would look ultra-corney (plus cut down on pocket storage for clinicals).

Thanks for the responses. And good point about the white coat ceremony. I am not even sure how many guests we can invite. Another thing: when do we determine our coat size? I would at least like to try on a couple sizes to see what fits. It would be a bummer to get one too small, which would look ultra-corney (plus cut down on pocket storage for clinicals).

Another vote for casual dress the first two days. I doubt we're doing anything very formal. Our badges are just really from the shoulders up, so not really a big deal, right? I'll probably bring a small backpack or something similar with a notebook too. I remember seeing in the pictures for the White Coat from last year people being in dress casual, no suits or anything, but nice pants or skirts (as applies) type of deal. Can any light be shed on that? It would be nice to get some particulars about it. I guess it'll be just a wait and see on Monday. You could email Jennifer Gray, though. She's very helpful. Have my last final for my MPH tonight- off to study.

so whats the deal on the pre orientation social events? what is everyone doing?

Another vote for casual dress the first two days. I doubt we're doing anything very formal. Our badges are just really from the shoulders up, so not really a big deal, right? I'll probably bring a small backpack or something similar with a notebook too. I remember seeing in the pictures for the White Coat from last year people being in dress casual, no suits or anything, but nice pants or skirts (as applies) type of deal. Can any light be shed on that? It would be nice to get some particulars about it. I guess it'll be just a wait and see on Monday. You could email Jennifer Gray, though. She's very helpful. Have my last final for my MPH tonight- off to study.

The first day is casual. You just listen to people talk all day, but you do get free lunch which you will learn to really appreciate. You fill out a bunch of papers and take pictures for your badges. For white coats they'll have a bunch set up in the office of various sizes and you just try them on until you find one that fits you well. For the white coat ceremony I don't think there is a limit to the number of people, there are not formal invites handed to you. But it will be standing room only, so advise guest to get there early if they want a seat. And again like murph said, your big sib will give you a bunch of books probably. For example I know I'll give mine the anatomy textbook, atlas, dissector, histo textbook & atlas, & neuro text book, so try and wait and see what your big sib will give you. I believe you will find out on monday who your big sib is. Best of luck and see you next week!

The first day is casual. You just listen to people talk all day, but you do get free lunch which you will learn to really appreciate. You fill out a bunch of papers and take pictures for your badges. For white coats they'll have a bunch set up in the office of various sizes and you just try them on until you find one that fits you well. For the white coat ceremony I don't think there is a limit to the number of people, there are not formal invites handed to you. But it will be standing room only, so advise guest to get there early if they want a seat. And again like murph said, your big sib will give you a bunch of books probably. For example I know I'll give mine the anatomy textbook, atlas, dissector, histo textbook & atlas, & neuro text book, so try and wait and see what your big sib will give you. I believe you will find out on monday who your big sib is. Best of luck and see you next week!

Thanks! :thumbup:

In other news, I received a call from financial aid today letting me know that my financial aid package is being mailed out. So their definitely getting out, slowly but surely.

I got my financial aid award letter by email today :) I think it has to do with me personally emailing kim butdorf multiple times. She said I could come pick it up today before 430 or monday after 830 am. I'm so glad I finally have the letter! I can stop being so stressed out!!!

i got the same email...such a relief. I'm so excited! Can't wait to start on Monday!

However, the letter might just say: "We are sorry, but we have reviewed your financial aid application and are unable to offer you any aid or loans for the upcoming year. Please remember that payment in full for the Fall semester is due prior to matriculation in order to maintain your place in the class. Thank you."

:smuggrin: <------ (meanie smiley included in the letter)

Followed by another letter that states: "Please remember that the first MS1 research project is due on your first day of orientation, Monday August 13th. Please make sure that your papers are bound and are printed on 25% rag paper. A table of contents should be included for papers with multiple chapters. All citations should follow standard format. ...... Just kidding. Or are we???"

Yikes! :eek::laugh:

haha...actually they attached a copy of the letter in the email...so hopefully there aren't too many surprises

I went to the Fin Aid office today picked up my award letter, completed it and returned it this afternoon. I was told that checks would be available as early as Tuesday or Wednesday.

Time will tell!!!!

I went to the Fin Aid office today picked up my award letter, completed it and returned it this afternoon. I was told that checks would be available as early as Tuesday or Wednesday.

Time will tell!!!!

Same here. What time were you there? I stopped by just as that big T-storm was rolling in so I took the papers and run, as I still had to get out to VB to get groceries. It was great timing, though, she had been typing up an email to me when I stopped in. Weird, huh? Great to finally have this in hand, though!! See everyone, who's going, tomorrow!

I also got that financial aid message. I faxed it back, but whats this about the master promissory note?

I called the office to find out that we need to choose a lender, apply for a loan through their website, and then print the promissory note.

However, and just after their office closed Friday, I read on the website:
http://www.evms.edu/students/fin-aid/apply_loans.html

which said that we should "not complete a Master Promissory Note or apply for a Stafford loan online at the lender's Web site," exactly just the opposite. So I'm lost until Monday.

Those who got actual letters (not emails), did you get a promissory note with your letter to sign and return?

Also, would we need to bring a backpack on Monday?

I had the same concern regarding the Stafford Promissory Note, here is the response I received from Kim at the Financial Aid office:

You do need to do 2 promissory notes. One each for Grad Plus and Stafford .
Have a good weekend!
Kim

Kimberly R. Botdorf
Asst. Dir. of Financial Aid
EVMS
Phone: 757-446-5813
Fax: 757-446-5817
So it appears that the website is referring to students starting the financial aid process, not those who have received their award letters.

Hope this helps.

I spoke with a couple people yesterday regarding ING Savings accounts. For those of you who may have extra money after your financial aid is awarded this may be a safe and easy way to keep it and still earn a pretty high interest rate. I will attach the link at the bottom of the page. ING is an online bank that has been around since 2000, they offer high interest rates on products due to the fact that they don't have physical branches to support. They require no minimum and have no fees. You can earn about 4.5% on your savings instead of the 0.25% at most traditional banks. They also offer high interest checking accounts. The only downside to those is that you don't get paper checks, everything must be done electronically.

I do not work for them, nor do I care if you even read this, I was just trying to help out some of my classmates.

http://home.ingdirect.com/products/products.asp

I would really appreciate it if the accepted applicants post there gpa, mcat,whether they are instate, and undergraduate institution. thanks

I would really appreciate it if the accepted applicants post there gpa, mcat,whether they are instate, and undergraduate institution. thanks

Yeh, and maybe social security and phone numbers, and maybe full name and credit card info too! ... Just kidding ;)

I'm thinking this probably isn't the best way to get matriculant stats for a school. You could always look up info about EVMS on MDApps or even better, get a copy of the MSAR. In general, I think the average MCAT score is about a 10 in each section, something like 2/3 of accepted students are VA residents (give or take .. I don't have my MSAR in front of me right now, but it is definitely over half). I do not remember the average GPA though, sorry. Good luck! EVMS is a great school!

wow i can't believe the 2012 kids will be starting their own evms thread soon. good luck on histo tomorrow everyone

wow i can't believe the 2012 kids will be starting their own evms thread soon. good luck on histo tomorrow everyone

I know, time has really flown by. It is really amazing to think that at this time last year, most of us were heavily stressing about our applications/interviews. Now we are all stressing about our studies.

any words of wisdom for those of us accepted to evms for the class of 2012? What made you all choose EVMS?

any words of wisdom for those of us accepted to evms for the class of 2012? What made you all choose EVMS?

#1) The people ... I'd have to say the people are what make EVMS so great. It may sound cheesy or cliche, but we really help each other out for tests and everything. We're also a very sociable class.

#2) The location. It's right near a big residential area, so it's easy to find a place where you can just walk to class and the hospital. We're within walking distance of bars too. Also, we're about 30 minutes from the beach ... lots of people study at the beach on the weekends

#3) Level 1 trauma center. one of only a few in Virginia.

#4) We consistently score very high on the USMLEs too. I believe it's usually above the national average.

another positive (for me anyhow) was the instate tuition ... obviously

#1) The people ... I'd have to say the people are what make EVMS so great. It may sound cheesy or cliche, but we really help each other out for tests and everything. We're also a very sociable class.

#2) The location. It's right near a big residential area, so it's easy to find a place where you can just walk to class and the hospital. We're within walking distance of bars too. Also, we're about 30 minutes from the beach ... lots of people study at the beach on the weekends

#3) Level 1 trauma center. one of only a few in Virginia.

#4) We consistently score very high on the USMLEs too. I believe it's usually above the national average.

another positive (for me anyhow) was the instate tuition ... obviously

I agree with all of the above. The people at EVMS are awesome. The professors are awesome as well in so much as you can definitely get extra help and advice if and when you need it. The administrators are also very personable and can be easily contacted/approached. They really care about student life at EVMS.

Other reasons why I love EVMS (in the form of the famous Dr. Drake Top 10 list):

10. Free chocolate Monday at the Matthews Bookstore!
9. ITP gives you an opportunity to awkwardly ask a complete stranger about their freaky sex and drug habits while being criticized by your peers.
8. You get an early chance to show what you are made of by taking a comprehensive 3-course unified exam only 3 weeks into classes. Yay!!!!
7. Student discounts at the CHKD and SNGH cafeterias ensure that you can afford all the cheap hospital food you could ever want.
6. Going to Gross Anatomy Lab at 2 or 3pm ensures that you have time to partially digest that yummy lunch before appreciating the fine aromas and sites that the lab has to offer.
5. Walking distance to Red Dog, Tap House, Colley Cantina, Kelly's, etc, etc, etc ... allows you to keep it real after classes are done.
4. You will have the chance to get slaughtered by our fine Powder Puff Football team half way through your first semester. Hey, you'll be 1st years, so just take your beating and smile.
3. Dean Solhaug has the most awesome mustache of any Dean, anywhere.
2. Plenty of study rooms to fight over, or more accurtely to scope out and spread all of your books out before you leave so it looks like lots of people are there while you abandon it for a nice dinner or an hour of fierce ping-pong competition.
1. Regular MMCB top-ten lists where you will learn about Dr. D's life-long ambition to urinate in the middle of a druid rock circle.

I agree with all of the above. The people at EVMS are awesome. The professors are awesome as well in so much as you can definitely get extra help and advice if and when you need it. The administrators are also very personable and can be easily contacted/approached. They really care about student life at EVMS.

Other reasons why I love EVMS (in the form of the famous Dr. Drake Top 10 list):

9. ITP gives you an opportunity to awkwardly ask a complete stranger about their freaky sex and drug habits while being criticized by your peers.
8. You get an early chance to show what you are made of by taking a comprehensive 3-course unified exam only 3 weeks into classes. Yay!!!!
7. Student discounts at the CHKD and SNGH cafeterias ensure that you can afford all the cheap hospital food you could ever want.
6. Going to Gross Anatomy Lab at 2 or 3pm ensures that you have time to partially digest that yummy lunch before appreciating the fine aromas and sites that the lab has to offer.
5. Walking distance to Red Dog, Tap House, Colley Cantina, Kelly's, etc, etc, etc ... allows you to keep it real after classes are done.
4. You will have the chance to get slaughtered by our fine Powder Puff Football team half way through your first semester. Hey, you'll be 1st years, so just take your beating and smile.
2. Plenty of study rooms to fight over, or more accurtely to scope out and spread all of your books out before you leave so it looks like lots of people are there while you abandon it for a nice dinner or an hour of fierce ping-pong competition.
1. Regular MMCB top-ten lists where you will learn about Dr. D's life-long ambition to urinate in the middle of a druid rock circle.

That was a cool list. When I went for the interview, I really liked the people there. They were so chill and they said they all help each other out. I hope I get in, but am still waiting...

i personally like number 2 A LOT. that makes for some very angry second years and its funny :) And yeah, 2012 be prepared to be crushed in powder puff