EVMS Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone Anyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for creating this thread! I thought about doing it myself but thought maybe I was jumping the gun. Congrats on your acceptance!

I know there are more acceptees around her lurking...come say hi!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys i got accepted to evms, and i loved it! not sure where i'm going to end up though!:)

I have also been accepted!

me too....iiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee

do you guys think you will go to EVMS in the end?

I do not know which Va school I will be attending.

Congratulations to those accepted! I am a first year who is slugging his way to Christmas break. This med school thing is a hell of a challenge, but I love it.

Email if you have any questions on housing, preparing for med school, etc.

Just received my acceptance today!! So excited. Can't wait to see everyone in August!

Hey Hey. Glad someone got this thread up and running. I deferred last year and will, most likey, be kicking it in Norfolk next year with yall.

Hey Sparky. How is everything? Got any words of wisdom for those of us who put it off a year?

NPR- did you get everything sorted out with the deferment stuff? About two days after I got the acceptance package they sent me a rejection letter. Freaked me out a little. Some sort of glitch, I guess.

Good luck the rest. Word on the street is EVMS is the med school of the future...pass it on.

Gray, yes I had everything sorted out with deferment, thanks for asking! I did not have the experience you did with the rejection letter (!) and I don't blame you for freaking out, I know I would have! Anyway, I look forward to seeing you and the rest next August. In the meantime, research research research (-_-).

I just got my acceptance packet in the mail today from EVMS.

As someone who stayed in the top third of EVMS's waitlist for the entirety of last summer without an offer and as someone who has gone through this whole medical school application process three times I am so happy that I'm finally going to be a doctor. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. That's awesome! I think I may have pulled out all my hair if I had had to go to round three.

As someone who stayed in the top third of EVMS's waitlist for the entirety of last summer without an offer and as someone who has gone through this whole medical school application process three times I am so happy that I'm finally going to be a doctor. :D

I feel your pain bro - I'm also a re-app who spent last summer on the wait list. Not this year, baby! EVMS was my first acceptance this year, and I'm super excited to be there in August. CONGRATS everyone! There's a good chance I'll see you this Fall.

Anyone been accepted but still waiting to hear from other ADCOMs?

The only reason I'm waiting to hear on one more is my husband. If he doesn't reup for another two years in the military and I get into Dartmouth, we may head back home to NH, but it's highly doubtful, so really, I'm looking forward to being there in August!

wait, so the EVMS waitlist doesnt even get everyone in the top 1/3 off of it? hmm, thats kinda frightening, im supposed to be in that top 1/3....sigh

wait, so the EVMS waitlist doesnt even get everyone in the top 1/3 off of it? hmm, thats kinda frightening, im supposed to be in that top 1/3....sigh

EVMS will rank you into various thirds, and even variouis portions of the bottom two thirds (such as high 2/3). However, for the purposes of getting into school, if I understand correctly, EVMS replaces what they lose (i.e. in-state and out-of-state males and females are not competing against or among one another).

EVMS will rank you into various thirds, and even variouis portions of the bottom two thirds (such as high 2/3). However, for the purposes of getting into school, if I understand correctly, EVMS replaces what they lose (i.e. in-state and out-of-state males and females are not competing against or among one another).

I forget where I heard this last year, but I'm also fairly certain that race/ethnicity factors into this equation as well. I understood that when the waitlist is considered, they try to replace an OOS white male with an OOS white male... Don't quote me on this though!

Yay glad to see people are finally peaking interest in this thread :) I know I started it early, but I was just really excited!

Anyone know when the second look in the spring will be? And has anyone thought about housing yet eek!

Hi guys,

I just wanted to say hi since I recently found out I was accepted at EVMS. I'm totally excited, and it was definitely a (pleasant!) surprise. I'm not sure where I'll end up yet... Gotta coordinate things with the hubby... But I really loved EVMS when I visited, so we'll see what happens.

Yay glad to see people are finally peaking interest in this thread :) I know I started it early, but I was just really excited!

Anyone know when the second look in the spring will be? And has anyone thought about housing yet eek!

Not sure when second look will be, but I went last year and had a blast! I'll probably end up going this year again. Good reason to get away from the lab.

Housingwise, Ghent is where it's at

Yeah, haven't heard either about second look.

As for housing, this country girl wants nothing to do with downtown Norfolk, been there, done that. I'm staying out in VA Beach, I'll deal with the 15 min commute. Plus, I've got the husband to think about. Ghent's pricier, but it's where most of the students live. Craigslist usually has some good ones pop up.

...surprised that there hasn't been any more action on this thread. Anymore possible EVMS'ers out there? They have to have accepted another batch by now.

To those in-coming EVMS M1's,

Housing is a tough situation. You have to know what you want; price, proximity, safety, etc. I have a wife, pet, and baby on the way and had to have something that accepted pets, was affordable, and safe. Ghent has problems with crime (murders and fires), high prices, and traffic.

The upside is the great night life and proximity to classmates and school. I don't experience as much of it since I live 8 miles away. By the way, traffic is killer here. I live 8 miles away, yet it takes me 25 minutes to get to school on a good day. We (the M1's) are trying to compile a better orientation packet for Spring Preview Week-end. It will address the housing issue in better detail. Living outside of Norfolk is difficult because of the traffic. The area is growing so quickly that the infrastructure can't keep up. This from a guy from Philly.

As for classes, I am working with faculty to start a pre-orientation study skills course to help really sharpen study methods for med school. You have to maximize your time without getting sucked into old study habits. Consistent studying, linking concepts, and determination are what will be key to your success. Understand how you learn so that you don't waste time with unhelpful lectures, books, study groups, etc. I am a visual learner as well as mathematical, so I learn best by reading the texts and understanding the equations (or patterns). Some people learn by sitting in lecture and taking notes, while connecting concepts in that manner. Be smart about your learning style.

Good luck,
Sparky

Yeh, I am on the waitlist as well (middle third at last check, dang it). I wonder if this means I should start losing hope?

To those in-coming EVMS M1's,

Housing is a tough situation. You have to know what you want; price, proximity, safety, etc. I have a wife, pet, and baby on the way and had to have something that accepted pets, was affordable, and safe. Ghent has problems with crime (murders and fires), high prices, and traffic.

The upside is the great night life and proximity to classmates and school. I don't experience as much of it since I live 8 miles away. By the way, traffic is killer here. I live 8 miles away, yet it takes me 25 minutes to get to school on a good day. We (the M1's) are trying to compile a better orientation packet for Spring Preview Week-end. It will address the housing issue in better detail. Living outside of Norfolk is difficult because of the traffic. The area is growing so quickly that the infrastructure can't keep up. This from a guy from Philly.

As for classes, I am working with faculty to start a pre-orientation study skills course to help really sharpen study methods for med school. You have to maximize your time without getting sucked into old study habits. Consistent studying, linking concepts, and determination are what will be key to your success. Understand how you learn so that you don't waste time with unhelpful lectures, books, study groups, etc. I am a visual learner as well as mathematical, so I learn best by reading the texts and understanding the equations (or patterns). Some people learn by sitting in lecture and taking notes, while connecting concepts in that manner. Be smart about your learning style.

Good luck,
Sparky

Hmm, so I'm guessing those students who said they live at the beach and commute 20 minutes to school might have been exaggerating a little? Or driving in at 4 a.m. perhaps...

Hmm, so I'm guessing those students who said they live at the beach and commute 20 minutes to school might have been exaggerating a little? Or driving in at 4 a.m. perhaps...

I think that's when you question which beach, if you're talking the Atlantic, then yeah, they leave at least 20 miles, but if you live near the Chesapeake Bay, you could live right in Portsmouth and be just through the tunnel (though tunnels suck when it comes to traffic!). I live about 4 miles from the Bay and 15 minutes from EVMS. Works pretty well, though my area is pretty busy.

Ghent itself really doesn't have a crime problem. I can speak on this, I think, because I've lived in Ghent since I've moved here. I live across the street from school, and have never had any problems whatsoever (I'm an M1 also). And there is definitely not a traffic problem in Ghent whatsoever. It is not cheap to live here, though, but quite a bit less expensive than D.C., for example.

Outside of Ghent, however, there are some crime issues, I believe. And certainly things have happened within Ghent itself, but nothing to be concerned about in terms of choosing where to live. Again, this is based purely on the experiences of myself and the numerous other classmates that live in Ghent. Overall, the neighborhood is beautiful, and my experiences with it have been nothing but positive. I walk down the street, go to school, go get food, go get beer; life is peachy. I've been pleasantly surprised with everything here.

At the same time, I don't have a dog or a pregnant wife (congrats, S.!!!). I see a lot of people around here walking their dogs, however, and I'm getting married this summer, and planning on staying in Ghent.

How about this for you current M1's at EVMS: Does anyone have a schedule for the first 2 years of class? I've heard that you take all of your classes at once, and there is no block or organ based system in place. I bit worried about this... Any advice would be appreciated.

How about this for you current M1's at EVMS: Does anyone have a schedule for the first 2 years of class? I've heard that you take all of your classes at once, and there is no block or organ based system in place. I bit worried about this... Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm not a current M1, but I saw this page when I was looking at EVMS's curriculum. http://www.evms.edu/education/md-program/md-m1curr.html If you look to the menu on the left, you'll see links for the curriculum for M2-M4 as well. I'll be attending beginning this fall, so I guess I'll find out for myself what the system is like for myself. o_O Perhaps a current M1 can give their two cents?

I'm not a current M1, but I saw this page when I was looking at EVMS's curriculum. http://www.evms.edu/education/md-program/md-m1curr.html If you look to the menu on the left, you'll see links for the curriculum for M2-M4 as well. I'll be attending beginning this fall, so I guess I'll find out for myself what the system is like for myself. o_O Perhaps a current M1 can give their two cents?

Good link, I was going to suggest this. EVMS has a traditional dicipline-based curriculum, and yes you are taking many courses at the same time, although the length of each course varies (not all start and end in a traditional semester for instance). Class schedules vary day by day with some days being pretty full and long, and other days finishing at lunch time.

I think it would be a great environment, the only real drawback being that there is not really a good lounge area or any cafeteria on campus. Well, I take that back, there is an area that is a lounge but I wasn't very impressed with it and I belive it is currently being utilized as a staging area for construction/remodeling. Not sure about the timelines for this though. However, there are 2 hospitals within walking distance to eat at and a number of really good places to eat/bars within a longer walk or short drive.There is also plenty of study space/quiet rooms in the upper floors of the library to study.

Oh yeh, and Ghent is a fantastic place to live. There is tons to do around there and the Colley Avenue area almost has a whole artsy/hip kind of vibe to it. I wouldn't be too concerned about safety around there, flooding during hard rains perhaps, but not real unusual crime. Now some of the areas around Ghent on the other hand .....

Thanks for the link NPR - I can't believe that for a decent part of M1 and M2 the students are involved in 5 classes at a time. And, I'm guessing these classes meet everyday? Holy ----

I definately want to get an M1's opinion on the cirriculum. I've sent some PMs to current students but I don't think many of them frequent the site.

I understand that it depends on the day how long you have to stay at school but does anyone know what time you definately finish as M1? Are there any evening classes you have to attend? What are the ITP classes?

The M1s, as I've seen (since I'm doing my Masters there right now), get out at various times in the afternoon. There's usually at least one afternoon class or clinical component. Sounds like this is pretty much the same in the second year too. Some days, students are done at 2, others 5. From what I was told, each day is different week to week. So take that as you will, any current M1s, please let me know if this is correct.

Not every class meets everyday, by any means, but it certainly gets intense, especially as the 1st semester progresses.

There are usually 2 or 3 lectures in the morning, then lunch. In the afternoon in your first semester there is anatomy Monday, Wednesday, and most Fridays. On Tuesdays there are ITP (Introduction to the Patient) small groups, typically. Many Thursday afternoons are free, but there is sometimes an additional lab, optional practice time for things like the physical exam, or, in second semester, Longitudinal Generalist Mentorship (working with an area doctor for a few hours).

For those currently at EVMS or familiar with the area:

I've looked at both the Hague Towers and Pembroke Towers. Is there anyone who can weigh in on whether or not those are good apartment complexes in which to live? Thanks!

Any current students or those already accepted to EVMS know how wasy it is to get in-state tuition after the first year? I know at some schools, they say its rather easy and will help you get it done whereas others, its almost impossible and you must do it all on your own. Any knowledge of the subject is appreciated?

I didn't think you could get instate tuition during the four years if you were an outofstate student to begin with, if you can, that'd be great to know!

Any current students or those already accepted to EVMS know how wasy it is to get in-state tuition after the first year? I know at some schools, they say its rather easy and will help you get it done whereas others, its almost impossible and you must do it all on your own. Any knowledge of the subject is appreciated?

I believe EVMS is one of thse schools where it is virtually impossible to gain in state tuition once you have been classified as OOS. If you are OOS your first year, your stuck with it for all four. If you have special circumstances, definitely call the financial aid office to ask.

I'm almost positive that this is a state issue more than it is a school issue. At my interviews, both EVMS and VCU said that if you move to the state to attend a school you won't be considered an instate student for those four years.

Seeing as how a few of you guys are online, what'd you think about EVMS' schedule and curriculum? That calendar link I posted shows a pretty steady 9-4 or 9-5 schedule for most days. I didn't think most schools were structured like this?

I guess EVMS is one of the few schools that still is structured pretty rigidly. But like the above guy said, there are times that it varies and you get out early. But at least it's not all lecture, alot also includes the labs and patient stuff. A full eight hour day of lecture...aahhh!

Hey all,
I'm also a first year and I'll also try to throw in my take. The rigid 9-5 schedule really isn't as bad as it first appears. Think of it as more of a 9-4 schedule ... :D j/k. But really, I would say we normally don't have more than 3 lectures in a day. There are also a lot of evenings in the schedule designed for LGM or ITP practice time. But every block isn't designed for every student. Same way with some of the Biochemistry and Neuroscience small groups. The schedule is full but not every class is intended for every student by a longshot. There are some lectures, you'll figure out, where you really don't even need to attend. The Powerpoint slides are incredibly detailed enough to cover the lecture and are posted online. But the lectures are also recorded and posted online as an mp3. You can even listen to most of them at 1.5x normal speed. :cool:

As for becoming an in-state student, it is very hard in Virginia. If I remember my financial aid speech well enough, I'm thinking the only way is to marry a Virginia resident ... not that I'm recommending it.

NPR, pm me and I'll go into more detail if you want, but the Hague and Pembroke towers (not to be confused with Hague Club) are ran by the same people. They're very safe and secure buildings and have workers in the lobby making sure that people that don't live there don't get in 24 hrs. a day. They're a little more expensive and that's the biggest downside but both are safe walks to the school through a very safe part of Ghent.

Last year, it also seemed like I was worrying about a lot of things that nobody else seemed to even think about so don't be afraid to ask about anything even by pm if you think you're question sounds too strange or dumb to be asked on here. I was there once. This is a pretty busy little stretch for M1s but I'll still try to check in at least a couple times a week to give what help I can.

As for becoming an in-state student, it is very hard in Virginia. If I remember my financial aid speech well enough, I'm thinking the only way is to marry a Virginia resident ... not that I'm recommending it.

lol.

You have to live in VA for a year and file taxes. My girlfriend just did it, she's from Mass and is going to law school here. Unless I am mistaken, she didn't marry me. I'll have to ask her the next time I talk to her. I'll also ask her what her requirements were for in-state, in case I'm a bit off-base.

The crime varies on where in Norfolk you live. In what is strictly referred to as Downtown Ghent (where EVMS is), crime is minor. Outside of a particular radius, it can be bad.

I am currently a Medical Master's student at EVMS, so if I matriculate into the medical school from this program, I'll be joining you guys in the class of 2011.

I've lived in the area my whole life and currently live directly across the street from the EVMS campus. Like the other posters here who have offered their services, if you'd like input on things like where to live and such, I'm more than happy to oblige.

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this question has been addressed before but:

I just interviewed at EVMS yesterday (1/31/07), and they told me that they would get back to me within 3 weeks to 4 weeks. But my question was...did any of your hear back sooner? if so, how much sooner?

Thanks a lot

I heard back four weeks later, but following the acceptances thread, it sounds like there were a few who called after a week and had an answer. It might be sooner for in-state rather than out, but don't quote me on that one. Either way, good luck!

I have an interview scheduled in March. I was wondering what all of your stats were for getting in? My GPA is above the average but my MCAT is a few points below. Do you all think this will balance out?

I am also a VA resident, so that might help a little bit.