Drexel DPMS Program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump, any news anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!
CEEEELLLEBRATE GOOD TIMES C'MON!

Congrats :D

I'LL SEE YOU IN PHILLY!!! I interviewed last week Monday and received my acceptance on Wednesday! I haven't received my acceptance package yet so for those already accepted can you please fill me in with where we'll be living for the summer (dorms?)!

hazlenut said:
I'LL SEE YOU IN PHILLY!!! I interviewed last week Monday and received my acceptance on Wednesday! I haven't received my acceptance package yet so for those already accepted can you please fill me in with where we'll be living for the summer (dorms?)!

Wooooot!!!! Congrats Hazlenut!!!

Have any of you future DPMSers received the email about which dorms we're living in for the summer and what day we can move in? We're getting down to the wire.

SonicHedgehogDO said:
Have any of you future DPMSers received the email about which dorms we're living in for the summer and what day we can move in? We're getting down to the wire.

Nope haven't heard anything yet, but I'm assuming that they're waiting for the deposit deadline before sending any other stuff out - that way they can directly send it to the future class, as opposed to sending it to everyone who got in. If you hear anything, keep me posted! We're almost there :)

The 18th is just around the corner... anyone a bit nervous :scared: ? More excited than anything else. :D Anyone have experience with Philadelphia? Any word on the dorms (no packet for me yet)?

Hey, i am wondering, for the IMP'ers, what other SMPs were u accepted to, and what made you choose Drexel's over others? Any matriculated/IMP graduates care to enlighten us on your viewpoint and places you have been accepted/gotten interviews for? I got a pre-admission to University of Cincinatti's 20 student SMP program (even without my MCAT decisions), and it confers a MS degree in one year, which is great. Is drexel certificate granting or master granting? What makes one better then the other?

Just wondering how the current DPMSers are enjoying the program. What's it like?

For those who just began the DPMS program, when do you anticipate beginning medical school? I am a bit confused with the timing......Do you begin med school in 2007 or 2008?

Hope all of you are having a good time. I'm applying for next year :love:

I am looking for a roommate. I am starting a lease at a 2 bedroom 2 bath apt directly across from Hahnemann/ Drexel center city (where I think you will be taking classes). The building is the Packard Motor Car building. Rent is 1895, your share would be 900 plus utilities. If you are interested, pm me. I am starting a post bac at UPenn and can't wait!! Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you have to be minority to apply to DPMS? ahhh what ways can you be considered "disadvantaged"?

do you have to be minority to apply to DPMS? ahhh what ways can you be considered "disadvantaged"?

you can be considered disadvantaged for many reasons:idea:

economic
(example)
-single parent household
-poor neighborhood
-low family income

educational
(example)
-went to overcrowded inner city school
-could not afford college (had to get govt funding for EVERYTHING)

i hope this helps. you do not need to be a minority (in race), but show that you are disadvantaged

good luck

:luck:

Hey future DPMSers! I am currently in the DPMS program and would be happy to answer any of your questions about applying, the program, Philly, etc. :D

(Don't let my screen name fool you. Drexel IS in fact an MD program)

Hey future DPMSers! I am currently in the DPMS program and would be happy to answer any of your questions about applying, the program, Philly, etc. :D

(Don't let my screen name fool you. Drexel IS in fact an MD program)

Hi sonichedgehogDO!

Firstly, could you tell me a little bit about your experience with the program, likes, dislikes, etc. Also, what is the typical day for a DPMS student?

Also, I was wondering about the application timeline for the DPMS program. I am hoping to get my application in by February 20th. Does it usually take them long to process the applications and schedule an interview?

Also, I think that I should to apply to both the IMS and DPMS. I would much rather be in the DPMS program, but am afraid that since there are so few accepted students that I probably won't have a great chance. Do you think they will not look at my application as favorably since I am applying to both programs?

here are my stats.
3.39 overall.
3.02science.
MCAT scores come in 2 weeks.
Great ECs and Letters from Profs.

Any input on my chances of getting in?

thanks in advance! I appreciate it :)

one more question, since the DPMS program gives a conditional acceptance to Drexel Med school, are the DPMS participants unable to apply to other med schools?

You can apply to all the programs they don't penalize you for that. The requirements for MSP and IMS are very far apart so it would be pretty rare that you would qualify for both programs. However DPMS and MSP are more similar in stat requirements and if you applied to both they would chose which program was best for you.

Your chances of getting in are entirely dependent on your MCAT score as your GPA fall within the range of accepted students.

Good question about applying to other medical schools while in DPMS. They make you sign a contract. I've never seen the contract so I don't know if you can or not. Call the program director. I think its still Dr. Walker.

Sent in my app today and hopefully it will be complete with transcripts within a week. Now the waiting part begins!

Ugh, waiting is the worst part. Unfortunately DPMS acceptance notifications aren't given till May/Early June, and the program typically starts during the third week in June. It's going to be a stressful and rushed process (packing, moving, quitting your job, etc), but it's totally worth it.

Anyone else out there applying for DPMS this year?

G'luck to everyone who has/is applied/applying to DPMS! I applied to the MSP program and I am waiting to hear from Drexel. :luck:

I applied in December. Just waiting for my January MCAT scores.

I applied earlier this month... just playing the waiting game for now:)

In Drexel's DPMS program they mention it is designed for students "from a lower socioeconomic/disadvantaged background".

What characteristics does one have to fall into this category? I have been receiving Federal student aid for all my UG years. Is that enough?

what if we are URM but not disadvantaged? I'm in no way disadvantaged, yet I am a strongly underrepresented minority? Will I even be considered for DPMS or no? (I'm trying to decide whether to apply or not). Thanks in advance!

Ok, now i'm curious what would be considered a very underrepresented minority. American Indian? Because that would be true.

bump

but seriously, does anyone know if you can be a minority and not socio-economically disadvantaged to apply?

Just got the call today that my app was complete and up for review and should be hearing from them in about 3 weeks!

You and me both... good luck!

i think it is particularly for socioeconomically/ disadvantaged students

Just got the call today that my app was complete and up for review and should be hearing from them in about 3 weeks!

How long did it take for them to get back to you after submitting your application? I sent in my application for DPMS on the 8th of march but i sent my transcripts and letters of recommendation in mid february. I can never get a hold of them. Everytime i called them, i get their answering machine and they never replied my message.

I mailed out my app on Feb 21 and it got there on the 23rd (I sent it in with "signature confirmation"). They couldn't find my app for 2 full week and with many hours on the phone with them, they finally found my app on March 7th with all my transcripts. I guess having proof that somebody in their office signed for it really made the difference. I think their office is under-staffed and with 3 programs the frustration level is bound to contribute to misplacing/delays. Hopefully the waiting process is short and we hear from them soon. Goodluck to all.:thumbup:

I mailed out my app on Feb 21 and it got there on the 23rd (I sent it in with "signature confirmation"). They couldn't find my app for 2 full week and with many hours on the phone with them, they finally found my app on March 7th with all my transcripts. I guess having proof that somebody in their office signed for it really made the difference. I think their office is under-staffed and with 3 programs the frustration level is bound to contribute to misplacing/delays. Hopefully the waiting process is short and we hear from them soon. Goodluck to all.:thumbup:

I finally got a hold of them and they said they are still waiting for one of my LOR's. I had my professor sent my LOR's in february. So, i dunno..they think it got lost in the mail. so, i have to tell my prof to send it again! bummer!

Congrats to all that got in... Remember though, in order to be accepted on conditional acceptence you have to retake the MCAT and hit the minimums or you lose it...Study Hard...

Spreebee, are you a current or past DPMS student? If so how was your experience, and how long did it take before you found out if you were accepted?

How is one considered disadvanted? For people who have interviewed with the program in the past, what questions to they ask?

Spreebee, are you a current or past DPMS student? If so how was your experience, and how long did it take before you found out if you were accepted?

I'm not a current or past DPMS student. I talked to the admissions office about the MCAT and they said if you get into the DPMS program you are basically accepted to medical school there if you hold a certain GPA and re-take the MCAT and hit their minimums... I think it was atleast a 7 on all sections but no less then a 24.

I just called them yesterday and my application is under review for the DPMS. I hope i hear some good news! How do they inform you of interviews?

any news anyone? why is this thread sooo quiet??

I just called them yesterday and my application is under review for the DPMS. I hope i hear some good news! How do they inform you of interviews?

They will more than likely call you to set up an interview. :) G'luck! :luck:

I called them today and the person on the phone told me that they haven't started looking at the apps yet. She said that they will call us to schedule an appointment and would not tell me the time frame that this will be happening. I'm guessing its probably mid April-ish as they are finishing up with medschool apps right now. Maybe a past/present DPMS can confirm this. Goodluck to all!

I got an email on Monday inviting me for an interview! So they are looking at and reviewing DPMS applications.

I got an email on Monday inviting me for an interview! So they are looking at and reviewing DPMS applications.

Emerald, do you mind sharing when your application was complete? Perhaps they are looking at apps in the order they recieved them. Thanks

Maximus, I was complete Jan. 23rd

Congrats!! :) When is your interview? My application was complete about two weeks ago.

ivy,

my interview date is april 14th. i'll give an update on the interview portion once it happens. i've been scouring the forums for some type of info on how the interview might go but haven't found anything.

There is some info about interviews in the Drexel MSP thread. :)