Drexel DPMS Program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarlett432

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts of the DPMS program and MSP program. I was interviewied for both and I really dont know how well they will work for me.
Thanks! :p

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have read on the website (and I have talked with people that have been through the MSP program), the programs (MSP, DPMS, IMS) at Drexel help people achieve what people are "looking for" going into the programs: to get into a medical school/professional school. I wish you the best of luck with the programs.

http://drexel.edu/med/ims/

drumming :D

I want to apply to IMS, DPMS, and MSP. Can I just check off all 3 boxes and send one application?

Members don't see this ad :)
chaeymaey said:
I want to apply to IMS, DPMS, and MSP. Can I just check off all 3 boxes and send one application?

i would call them up. they did say at their open house that if you apply to one program and they feel you are more appropriate for another, that they would tell you. DPMS is only for socioeconomically disadvantaged students though

you can just check all if you want.... HOWEVER, I would disagree with this strategy.

Each program (MSP, IMS, etc) is designed for a specific applicant. If you go to IMS with <27 you are screwing yourself before you begin.

If you have any questions, please just PM me and ask... Im not bashful and I can tell you my thoughts. The program worked great for me and I am very happy I went. Made me into a rockstar applicant and before I went I didn't have a change anywhere.

-WISC-ite

I was just wondering if anyone has had an interview for the DPMS program lately - I recently submitted my application and I'm a little worried that they have already filled the class.

WISC-ite said:
you can just check all if you want.... HOWEVER, I would disagree with this strategy.

Each program (MSP, IMS, etc) is designed for a specific applicant. If you go to IMS with <27 you are screwing yourself before you begin.

If you have any questions, please just PM me and ask... Im not bashful and I can tell you my thoughts. The program worked great for me and I am very happy I went. Made me into a rockstar applicant and before I went I didn't have a change anywhere.

-WISC-ite
when i went to their open house, the admissions advisors said that if u apply for an inappropriate program and they feel one of their other programs is more appropriate for you, they will contact u to see if you mind them considering you for the more appropriate program. so no worries if u check the wrong box

hazlenut said:
I was just wondering if anyone has had an interview for the DPMS program lately - I recently submitted my application and I'm a little worried that they have already filled the class.
my sis is thinking about applying, are you sure it is full? she can't even get a hold of anyone on the phone and her emails go unanswered.

They are not full, and they are very very busy in terms of applications. If you are patient your e-mails and phone calls will be returned. I am in the IMS program now.

FL DOC said:
my sis is thinking about applying, are you sure it is full? she can't even get a hold of anyone on the phone and her emails go unanswered.

The Drexel medical school adcom just received the first batch of DPMS applications last week (after they were screened by the medical science program staff). The med school adcom is in the process of revewing these applications now. I was told that the first set of interview offers will be sent out in the middle of April. So no worries, the class hasn't even STARTED to fill yet :)

Ah! I've gotta get my stuff in.

Interviews were/are being held April 7th, 10th, and May 10th. I interviewed on April 10th. Call Dr. Walker to check on your app.

SteviesMom said:
Interviews were/are being held April 7th, 10th, and May 10th. I interviewed on April 10th. Call Dr. Walker to check on your app.

Was your interview for DPMS, MSP, or IMS? I didn't think they had started interviewing for the DPMS program just yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
WISC-ite said:

-WISC-ite

Hey quick question, did you apply to med schools while in the program or after you completed it? If accepted to Drexel or GU I plan on applying at the same time. Thanks for you help:)

Love your sig, Dr.Van! Tru dat

SteviesMom said:

How did it go? And which program was your interview for? I have one on the 19th of May...

Good luck!

Do you guys who have the interview for DPMS mind sharing your stats please (BCPM GPA, cumulative GPA, MCAT?) and when were you complete? If you dont want to share here, can you pm me please? I guess I have no chance :( or it's too late to hear. Thanks a lot and good luck :luck:

trp2006 said:
Do you guys who have the interview for DPMS mind sharing your stats please (BCPM GPA, cumulative GPA, MCAT?) and when were you complete? If you dont want to share here, can you pm me please? I guess I have no chance :( or it's too late to hear. Thanks a lot and good luck :luck:

The DPMS program has very specific BCPM GPA, cumulative GPA and MCAT score requirements. Here is the bare minimum you need to get in:

a 2.90 undergraduate math/science GPA and a minimum MCAT score of 20 with no section below a 6 is also required

If you have an MCAT score above a 24 you have already met the DPMS MCAT requirement and will not be eligible for the program, unless one of those scores was below a 6.

There is some flexibility of the GPA but very little, remember the Drexel Medical School admissions committee reviews your file and are very strict regarding their policies. So most people that are getting interviews fall within this range. Hope this helps.

Airzonk said:
The DPMS program has very specific BCPM GPA, cumulative GPA and MCAT score requirements. Here is the bare minimum you need to get in:

a 2.90 undergraduate math/science GPA and a minimum MCAT score of 20 with no section below a 6 is also required

If you have an MCAT score above a 24 you have already met the DPMS MCAT requirement and will not be eligible for the program, unless one of those scores was below a 6.

There is some flexibility of the GPA but very little, remember the Drexel Medical School admissions committee reviews your file and are very strict regarding their policies. So most people that are getting interviews fall within this range. Hope this helps.
So you mean to say if you have above 24 MCAT, you cannot get into DPMS program?

Airzonk,

I've been on these forums for a bit and reading up on all the Drexel threads. You seem to know a lot about DPMS but if I remember correctly you did IMS which brings up something I've wondered about...

Is there a lot of crosstalk, common study groups, etc. between all three programs? Or is there tension between the different groups?

I'm asking out of curiosity; tension or no tension I think the programs sound great and hope that I'll be able to attend next year (I applied to both DPMS and IMS).

emerald03 said:
Airzonk,

I've been on these forums for a bit and reading up on all the Drexel threads. You seem to know a lot about DPMS but if I remember correctly you did IMS which brings up something I've wondered about...

Is there a lot of crosstalk, common study groups, etc. between all three programs? Or is there tension between the different groups?

I'm asking out of curiosity; tension or no tension I think the programs sound great and hope that I'll be able to attend next year (I applied to both DPMS and IMS).

I applied to DPMS but had an MCAT composite that was not in the narrow range of scores required by DPMS, so I did MSP and IMS. There is cross-talk amongst the groups as DPMS students take classes with IMS and MSP. The only tension you will have as a DPMS student is trying to maintain a 3.0. As far as the 24 MCAT thing here is the requirement to get into drexel med as a DPMS student:

In order to retain final acceptance with the college of medicine, students are required to have at least a 3.00 GPA, a minimum 8 on the Physical and the Biological Sciences and 7 on the Verbal Reasoning sections of the MCAT, satisfactory participation in the Academic Assessment and Counseling Enrichment Sessions, and a Program recommendation

So if you have met this requirement already you are not eligible for DPMS. I had met the minimum MCAT requirement and was not a candidate. You can have a 24 with 9 bio 9 phys 6 verb (total 24) and be eligible. Again, i'm sure there is flexibility and perhaps some exceptions are made but I wouldn't bank on it.

Airzonk said:
I applied to DPMS but had an MCAT composite that was not in the narrow range of scores required by DPMS, so I did MSP and IMS. There is cross-talk amongst the groups as DPMS students take classes with IMS and MSP. The only tension you will have as a DPMS student is trying to maintain a 3.0. As far as the 24 MCAT thing here is the requirement to get into drexel med as a DPMS student:

In order to retain final acceptance with the college of medicine, students are required to have at least a 3.00 GPA, a minimum 8 on the Physical and the Biological Sciences and 7 on the Verbal Reasoning sections of the MCAT, satisfactory participation in the Academic Assessment and Counseling Enrichment Sessions, and a Program recommendation

So if you have met this requirement already you are not eligible for DPMS. I had met the minimum MCAT requirement and was not a candidate. You can have a 24 with 9 bio 9 phys 6 verb (total 24) and be eligible. Again, i'm sure there is flexibility and perhaps some exceptions are made but I wouldn't bank on it.
Thanks, you seem to be very knowledgeable about the program. I also had couple of other questions? How many people who start for DPMS actually make it to the medical school. During this year, can we apply to other medical schools, or if you go to DPMS and fulfill the requirements, do you HAVE TO attend Drexel? Thanks!

trp2006 said:
Thanks, you seem to be very knowledgeable about the program. I also had couple of other questions? How many people who start for DPMS actually make it to the medical school. During this year, can we apply to other medical schools, or if you go to DPMS and fulfill the requirements, do you HAVE TO attend Drexel? Thanks!

Good question, I'd like to know the answers as well.

trp2006 said:

Every DPMS student who fulfills the program requirements has been accepted to Drexel med. So when you ask how many people from DPMS actually make it to medical school i'm not sure what your really asking because if you meet the expectations your are going. If you do not meet the requirements you do not go. I can say that if everyone had a 3.0 and met the MCAT score they would all go. Giving you a number seems not only wrong to those people that didn't make it but is irrelevant because when you get here the only competition is yourself. Whether you make it has absolutely nothing to do with who has made it in the past. It is a very challenging program.

If you do not want to go to Drexel Med and plan on attending another medical school why in the world would you apply to this program. Applying to medical schools outside of the program is going to do nothing to diversify the Drexel medical school class and is quite selfish. One, Drexel is given you a chance not afforded to many people and two, to get into this program you probably weren't very competitive to begin with. I'm sure you don't have to attend Drexel but if you were offered the chance and did not go you are quite frankly out of your mind.

Airzonk said:
Every DPMS student who fulfills the program requirements has been accepted to Drexel med. So when you ask how many people from DPMS actually make it to medical school i'm not sure what your really asking because if you meet the expectations your are going. If you do not meet the requirements you do not go. I can say that if everyone had a 3.0 and met the MCAT score they would all go. Giving you a number seems not only wrong to those people that didn't make it but is irrelevant because when you get here the only competition is yourself. Whether you make it has absolutely nothing to do with who has made it in the past. It is a very challenging program.

If you do not want to go to Drexel Med and plan on attending another medical school why in the world would you apply to this program. Applying to medical schools outside of the program is going to do nothing to diversify the Drexel medical school class and is quite selfish. One, Drexel is given you a chance not afforded to many people and two, to get into this program you probably weren't very competitive to begin with. I'm sure you don't have to attend Drexel but if you were offered the chance and did not go you are quite frankly out of your mind.
Thanks for your response. First, of all I dont know if you meant it this way or not, but your post came across as plainly rude. I was just trying to ask questions? Is there anything wrong about asking or inquiring? :rolleyes: From when did asking questions became 'selfish'? Second, I know that whether anyone has made it to the program in the past has absolutely no bearing on my performance, but I wanted to know for my curiosity of how many people start the program and how many actually matriculate to gauge the difficulty of the program for myself. Lastly, I just wanted to know for my information if people who go to DPMS program actually apply to other schools in same year. Did I say I will do that? Also, how can you even assume that I probably wasn't even very competitive to begin with? :rolleyes: Thanks for the answers, and hope that you realize the way you answered your post.

I don't think I was trying to be rude to you personally. The questions that were posed are asked repeatedly. I just wanted to be clear, let people know that it is a unique opportunity and to realize it's challenging. Over the two years I have been here I have seen DPMS'ers come and go. There really should be no reason why you can't go onto Drexel Med, yet every year some don't. I believe in the program and want to see everyone in it succeed.

Airzonk said:
I don't think I was trying to be rude to you personally. The questions that were posed are asked repeatedly. I just wanted to be clear, let people know that it is a unique opportunity and to realize it's challenging. Over the two years I have been here I have seen DPMS'ers come and go. There really should be no reason why you can't go onto Drexel Med, yet every year some don't. I believe in the program and want to see everyone in it succeed.
Sorry, I had never seen these questions or their answers addressed and that's why I asked. If I didnt believe in the program, I would not have applied (which I already did last month). I just wanted to have a feel for the challenge that it entails, and wanted to get a feel for the program. So, thanks for your responses :)

DPMS 06-07! HOLLA!!!!!!! Who's coming with me??? :D

SonicHedgehogDO said:
DPMS 06-07! HOLLA!!!!!!! Who's coming with me??? :D

CONGRATS!!!! I'm so happy for you! :D

Thanks guys! Let me know how your interviews go. Hope to see you next month in Philly!!

I have recently applied to this program also and wanted to understand a little more about the MCAT requirement. I currently meet the minimum requirement but that was in my first sitting, I actually performed worst the second time---my Verbal was a 3 (I had a horrible morning) but I was wondering how would that be considered. I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

So, when are all of you interviewing? What is the turnaround time to get an interview and then an acceptance?

caribana said:
I have recently applied to this program also and wanted to understand a little more about the MCAT requirement. I currently meet the minimum requirement but that was in my first sitting, I actually performed worst the second time---my Verbal was a 3 (I had a horrible morning) but I was wondering how would that be considered. I would appreciate any advice you could offer.
This is what the website says:

PREREQUISITES
The program is designed for students from a lower socioeconomic/disadvantaged background. Prerequisites for the program are one year of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry and physics, (each with laboratory), and one year of English literature and behavioral science (psychology, sociology and philosophy) courses. In addition, a 2.90 undergraduate math/science GPA and a minimum MCAT score of 20 with no section below a 6 is also required. An applicant who meets these requirements may be considered for an interview with the College of Medicine. Applicants may then be granted provisional acceptance into the College of Medicine and be accepted into this Early Assurance Program.

Source: http://www.drexelmed.edu/med/ims/dpms.asp

trp2006 said:
So, when are all of you interviewing? What is the turnaround time to get an interview and then an acceptance?

The turnaround time for me was 10 days (from interview to acceptance). I would imagine that they're going to try to make the turnaround time very quick because the DPMS program is starting so soon. I can't wait for you guys to get accepted. I'm pulling for all of ya!

SonicHedgehogDO said:
The turnaround time for me was 10 days (from interview to acceptance). I would imagine that they're going to try to make the turnaround time very quick because the DPMS program is starting so soon. I can't wait for you guys to get accepted. I'm pulling for all of ya!

Congrats Sonic! will it be SonicHedgehogMD now?

Airzonk said:
Congrats Sonic! will it be SonicHedgehogMD now?

Thanks! Haha, I knew someone was going to say that. I guess I should change it...

Anyone else with interview or acceptance to DPMS?

SonicHedgehogDO said:

Thanks Sonic!! Eekk I'm so excited and nervous!! I'll be sure to keep you posted :luck:

Any DPMSers coming from the midwest? Just curious because I'm from St. Louis.

SonicHedgehogDO said:
Any DPMSers coming from the midwest? Just curious because I'm from St. Louis.
BUMP any new news anyone?

SonicHedgehogDO said:
No kidding. Lets get those interviews over with and move to Philly already!
:D
Interview is next week on Friday!

The interview went great! Your interviewer might not know that you are applying to DPMS though. Make sure you know why you want to go the Drexel and your strenths and weaknesses. Good luck!!!

I got my acceptance last week so I might see you there!

Kristen

Nakisarin said:
How did it go? And which program was your interview for? I have one on the 19th of May...

Good luck!

It was for DPMS.

SonicHedgehogDO said:
Was your interview for DPMS, MSP, or IMS? I didn't think they had started interviewing for the DPMS program just yet.

I finally got the acceptance package in the mail today. In case any of you were wondering, the first day of classes for the mandatory summer session is June 19th. Also, Drexel is going to provide housing for the six week summer session, so that will buy us some time to move into houses/apartments before regular classes start in August.

SonicHedgehogDO said:
I finally got the acceptance package in the mail today. In case any of you were wondering, the first day of classes for the mandatory summer session is June 19th. Also, Drexel is going to provide housing for the six week summer session, so that will buy us some time to move into houses/apartments before regular classes start in August.

Congrats Stevies mom!

SteviesMom said:
The interview went great! Your interviewer might not know that you are applying to DPMS though. Make sure you know why you want to go the Drexel and your strenths and weaknesses. Good luck!!!

Kristen

Congrats! Let us all know if you decide to go.

SteviesMom said:

Kristen

CONGRATS!! I think the interview went very well :luck: but we'll see in a bit! Dr. Walker said that they were meeting within the week so hopefully I'll find out soon! :scared: Congrats again to everyone who has been hearing great news and I really really realllllllllllllly hope to see you guys on the 19th!! I'll keep you all posted, do the same! Good luck to all of us in the waiting game! :luck: